The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

When I lived in West Sussex the council kindly provided those nice green plastic compost bins free of charge.  You sunk the washing basket type base part into the ground and then the 2 piece top parts fitted onto it.  It was designed to take vegetable waste and cooked waste including bones.  The top (above ground) part was double skinned and created heat.  I don't know if the bones ever broke down in my lifetime there though.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning again,

Rain has set in and it's now miserable outside. 

Torn between doing some work on the model railway or pretending to  do some housework. 

Meanwhile, whilst my mind wanders through the decision making process I shall continue to acclimatize some neon tetras that we bought this morning. 

When I moved into my current home the previous owners had a compost bin in the back garden.

After a while I decided to move it and started to dig out the festering heap of compressed organic matter...until I found animal bones... and promptly lost my lunch.  :bad:

So, whatever you put in your compost heap, I'm not a great advocate of mistaking it for the wheelie bin that gets emptied once a fortnight.  :negative:

• Like 1

Crikey.

Am I justified in giving negative ebay feedback for an object that stank so badly of tobacco smoke that I had to bin the packaging, wash my hands (really) and wash the item (Wrenn R1 body) three times and it still smells of smoke?

I won't be composting the pigs, as they are such a well loved part of their family. Just not my part. One little b***er bit me last night.

post-17799-0-94414400-1424348709.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Someone who later joined the SAS proved very adept at administering fatal doses of pellets all over the farm I worked on, the jack Russell terrier who's job it was supposed to be sat and sulked for about a month until a new crop of rats appeared.

• Like 8

...I won't be composting the (guinea) pigs, as they are such a well loved part of their family. Just not my part. One little b***er bit me last night.

Bite back? They are on the menu in South America after all.

I have had 'all vegetable waste' compost heaps directly on the ground going all my life, as did my parents when I was young, and never a hint of rats. Occasional field mice or wood mice (dependent on location) for sure, especially if you went away for a fortnight or more. Otherwise the regular turning acts against occupancy, although in our present location a mole has come to visit a couple of times in dry summers; easier to dig through for worms I should imagine.

Thrushes and robins are in and out too after the worms, insects and other crawly stuff. Some years ago there was a particularly bold blackbird that would come and watch if he spotted either of us heading heapwards, and would land on top of the uncovered heap and make a racket if there was any sign of the top cover being restored. No amount of telling him that I knew he could go in and out with the top cover on seemed to change his opinion. Where's a Dr Doolittle or St. Francis of Assisi and Sainsbury when you need him?

Edited by 34theletterbetweenB&D
  • Like 4

I seem to be unable, anymore, to reply to a posting with a quote. 

So in reply to DDolfelin 84490 which ear is preferable?  As we are all no further than 6 feet from a rat at anytime I guess that is close enough to use the said pellets.

When we used to picnic on the beach my father always told me the best way to catch a gull was to put mustard on its tail.  I never did get that close to one!

Edited by lightengine

• RMweb Gold

I couldn't possibly comment Mike - you might think I was being fa(e)cetious!  :jester:

Alas it was the wrong kind (there are different kinds when it comes to analysing it apparently and this stuff was too good) so another lot is needed - by 14.00 tomorrow according to the receptionist,  aren't they incredibly organised?  Had to think twice about coming out with the words of the song as Dr Lola hails from Nigeria - although she knocks several members of Boney M into a cocked hat for looks and she seemed very competent and extremely pleasant.

Anyway at least I found out the answer to something which have worried some folk for many years if they have ever wondered 'Whatever Happened to The Likely Lads?' because who should arrive in the surgery but dear old Bob (Rodney Bewes) who, to be honest, continues to look as if he has led the life of Terry the boozing and smoking one.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Had you replaced anything whilst these items were missing? Not talking about the small change, though.

John,

Only the notepad!

It's successors have all been filled with the normal scribblings associated with my railway planning.

The scope is one I use as a training aid to teach eye relief.  It's also a bit basic, and the gift of an old non working field target rifle a few weeks ago, will mean that a new (better) scope will need to be purchased in due course.  (I have to rebuild the rifle first!)

When I have completed my 'artillery battery', I will have to consider deploying the target train from my 7/8ths fleet for real!

Railway work this afternoon!

I have to make a replacement axle for the front bogie of an old Triang Britannia.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 7

Afternoon all.  Had a really rough night, so came into work later today.  Spent the night trying to get comfortbale and fighting the duvet, then eventually got a decent 3 and a half hours' sleep from 5.30 after a lemsip.  Feeling woolly around the edges and my concentration's affected.  Wouldn't have come in at all but for a meeting at Parliament and then meeting someone for a drink after work.

My ex had 4 guinea pigs, which I got to rather like, though didn't enjoy the trips to the vet and washing the sebacious gland excretions on one who had a recurring condition.

• RMweb Gold
The Stationmaster, on 19 Feb 2015 - 10:50, said:

Off to see Dr Lola in an hour or so - still trying to work out if I will be offered champagne or I'll be thinking back to the great days of the late'60s, I always liked the T70.  

You probably liked the late MkIIIb, as here.

post-4295-0-95163300-1424358414_thumb.jpg

I recall in 1969 standing next to one on the grid at Thruxton, until the 2 minute board, while Denny Hulme, F1 World Champion a couple of years before, sat waiting for the flag.

I, on the other hand, think this is about the most exotic T70 I've ever seen, being ex-Mark Donohue, Roger Penske Racing, probably from about 1966 or 7.

post-4295-0-52578200-1424358691_thumb.jpg

Both were snapped at the inaugural LM Story meeting in 2005.

• Like 18

I have just acquired a new composting bin called a Green Johanna, which were available cheaply via a local council scheme.  They claim to be pretty much rodent proof, and also to allow higher temperatures than a normal bin which should allow faster composting.  I only ever tried to compost vegetable waste before, but this claims to compost even fish and chicken bones.  I am not yet convinced, but will give it a try through the spring and summer.

• Like 3

I have just acquired a new composting bin called a Green Johanna, which were available cheaply via a local council scheme.  They claim to be pretty much rodent proof, and also to allow higher temperatures than a normal bin which should allow faster composting.  I only ever tried to compost vegetable waste before, but this claims to compost even fish and chicken bones.  I am not yet convinced, but will give it a try through the spring and summer.

I think that's the type I had.  It has a laundry basket type bottom piece. 

• Like 2

So, a late start here on ER as I had an early conference call with one of the project teams I'm working with...

Long evening with the soup supper (everyone enjoyed my Vichyssoise - even though the lady writing the "board" couldn't spell it so put "potato Leek" instead) then the Ash Wednesday service that the choir sang at, after which the music director decided we'd have a "short" rehearsal as we also sing this Sunday <yawn> We already know ALL the stuff we're singing, but we humored her nonetheless :jester:

Mrs has return from the eye doctor with news that she needs cataract surgery, and has that scheduled for two separate sessions in early and mid-April - hopefully giving her enough time for a full recovery before our trip to the UK in May. A very standard procedure nowadays (and nothing like the far more serious ailments many of ERs are contending with I know), but always a worry when any surgery is needed.

Parcels awaited aren't destined to be here today apparently, as the postman has been and gone already - most importantly waiting for wagon wheels to retrofit on some Mainline wagons.

Another "freeze your arse off" -23 and sunny (surely a contradiction!!) with -28 wind-chill as I dragged the BINs out this morning.

Back to work - hoping/awaiting news of valid "data' being loaded for me to test various items on my plate for two projects. Hard to produce reports with no data, but not sure some folks realize that! :O

Edited by Ian Abel