The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Jamie. In Essex rather than apply online we can only download a form but it has to be posted to Portsmouth for some strange reason.

Tony

I didn't even realise that I had to apply till I talked to a friend yesterday morning and his wife had to apply to her local town hall.   That made me start searching and then it got mentioned here on ER's. 

Jamie

• Like 4

Mornin' all,

The nearest thing to a Spring morning so far this year in the Moorlands....calm, hazy, relatively mild, dry and bright from the off, a joy to be out. Having missed one or two constitutionals it was straight into an energetic, muscle warming ascent of the hills. Plenty more evidence of the flora responding to the light and relative warmth with swelling buds and stems. I startled five great crested grebe, 2 youngsters and 3 adults as I arrived at the reservoir....they retreated deeper into the wildlife reserve part of the wetland. The first pair of oystercatchers that I've seen this year flew over too. The long climb away from the water told on the leg muscles...it took noticeably more effort to climb at the same rate as when exercising daily.

'A Shropshire Lad' by Prof. C. Ricks is proving an excellent read about A. E. Housman's famous work.

Church duties beckon today.

We're looking at our first spur of the moment 3 day holiday for 2015 this week, so fingers crossed for a promising forecast somewhere.....accomodation booked in Kent/East Sussex.

Feathered ones remembered....two very prettily shaded lesser redpoll on the niger seed this morning.

Enjoy what you do

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 7

Morning all.  Today looks like being a bit of a repeat from yesterday - lovely sunny morning, so spend some time in the garden, then settle down for more rugby this afternoon.  Gardening will include digging up some artichokes, as they do make a really good artichoke gratin!

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Rather dull & dismal start but there may possibly be some brighter periods later.

Very enjoyable day yesterday with rugby & grandchildren. Had to record the Ireland/France game because when we gave the kids a choice of what & where to eat they opted for the local Harvester.

I had vowed never to visit there again after being presented last September with something masquerading as steak which was probably older than me! However I went, risked a burger & chips and surprisingly actually quite enjoyed it. The kids had a great time and devoured everything put in front of them so all in all it was a success. Not sure I'll be rushing back though. (unless the kids persuade me!)

Today their parents and elder sister are coming to Sunday lunch and there is more rugby so Bobby is again a happy bunny!

Have a good one,

Bobtail

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Dry and slightly hazy here near the centre of the Kingdom

Off to finish the wallpapering at wife's work.

EDIT - and reminded by Bob above - bacon butty before starting work

Then maybe, just maybe an airbrush session outside, spraying the base track colour in my DL layout. (Unless wifey decides she has some Sunday DIY stuff for me.)

Then off to bro's for his 60th birthday bash.

Enjoy what's left of the weekend.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 10

Just watched The (lack of a good) Voice and have to agree that it is actually close to musical dross at times - so far I've only enjoyed a very few of the acts, and not many of them got picked anyway.  Can anybody remember who won last year, and what has happened to the finalists since then - no I thought not....

I agree it is a dreadful show. I saw one of the first shows and thought it was a one-trick pony. I can tell you what happened to last year's runner-up though.

Sally Barker has been a member of the all-female "folk" band the Poozies for years.In my view they are excellent and well worth seeing. We were told by the local folk club that she was on the show so I watched the final. In my view the show turned her into a "plastic" pop singer, nothing like the performer I knew. Since the show she still plays with the Poozies, solo gigs mainly at folk clubs and has supported Tom Jones at some of his concerts (he was her sponsor or whatever term they use).

FWIW I feel much the same about the X Factor. People start as individuals, good or bad, but by the final are moulded into fomulaic performers.

Ed

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Dull and occasional showers, but mild. This time yesterday there was some sun, and it seemed almost Spring-like. I hope it returns before Summer!

My phone rang after 10 last night, and it was Alison. Ben had brought the kids back after half-term, and proceeded to shout abuse at her and forage for things he wanted. She pointed out that the Court Order forbids him from entering the property - despite his name being on the joint deeds. Further Anglo-Saxon and taunting, which stopped abruptly when the gendarmes arrived, read the Court Order and told Ben his fortune..... They were particularly unimpressed when he admitted he has left France and now lives in Wales. He and Sheena - he was due to sleep there - will have been mutually apoplectic until the small hours, no doubt. If the sky were clear I'd be able to see a dark cloud over her farm, I'm sure!

Yesterday Pete 75C posted on his layout thread (that's the layout that is now in print!) a fine picture of West Croydon station with a 2-car train sitting in the Wimbledon bay. This morning, the same pic appears on the Facebook page of a talented but OCD former RMwebber, who left after a hissy fit. Albeit there is a credit to RMweb, but nicking photos seems to be a way of life for some.

Hope Valentine's Day left you stirred but not shaken, and today allows a gentle wind-down.

• Like 4

Overcast again today, but a little warmer.

All this talk of Twirlies; is this something to do with bus passes or the like? Over here we have travel passes which are valid on buses, trains, the Dublin Luas and even on ferries out to the islands (although we do have to pay for the bikes). If Steph is travelling with me, she gets to go for free as well, as my carer! I use the buses a lot and I am amazed at how few people actually hand over cash as students and people on benefit qualify as well as senior citizens. It must cost the country a fortune.

I don't watch any programmes like The Voice, X Factor, etc. Last night we watched the last two episodes of Spiral (Series 5) which has had us gripped for the last six weeks. We were prepared for a less than totally happy ending as that seems to have been par for the course for earlier series. Very gritty and far more believable than the British or American equivalents. I also convince myself that it helps improve my French!

Prior to that we had a very enjoyable meal (prepared by yours truly) and an excellent bottle of wine (almost the last bottle from our last trip across the channel, soon be time to stock up again). I spent a lot of time in the kitchen yesterday (before settling down for the rugby), also making enough soup (carrot and coriander) to see us through the week.

Try to enjoy the rest of the weekend.

PS. Steph has just come back from walking the dog and says, despite it being 6 degC. its f*!?*ing cold outside! Must be the wind chill factor. 

Edited by Killybegs
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. IIRC I just went down to the local council offices with some passport photos to get my 'Grumpy pass'. I'm using it more now than I ever did when I first had it getting old and lazy I guess.

• Like 7

A late start for me this morning. Overcast and dry but a pleasant 6 degrees here.

Hopefully a relaxing day doing a few chores and watching the rugby before my early starts again during the week.

Have to agree with BoD about Trev in hoping that the lack of communication is down to the local infrastructure falling over.

Have a good day everyone

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

All this talk of twirlies got me looking up the word on the 'net and I'm sure the meanings given in 'Urban Dictionary' aren't the same as folk here had in mind :O  - in fact I'm surprised it got past the US 'net nanny but maybe she's not familiar with UK urban slang?

That apart the weather currently looks fairly miserable but might turn into fence treating weather later - you never know your lack of luck.

Have a good day one and all.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

I've just noticed that the blank 'buttons' have now disappeared. Its apparent that some were missing the disagree button and were using the 'blank' buttons as such, I have used them myself but only in lieu of a 'groan' button.

I've just noticed that the blank 'buttons' have now disappeared. Its apparent that some were missing the disagree button and were using the 'blank' buttons as such, I have used them myself but only in lieu of a 'groan' button.

A button for all seasons...

'Twirley' is someone holding a bus pass who tries to board before the permitted hours of use.

The Bus Driver will say, "Too early".

I once wrote a TV series based on the name which was initially accepted and then the Producer moved to another organisation.

• RMweb Gold

I went online to renew my Freedom pass as instructed at the beginning of December (it expires March 31st) The "simple procedure" did not work for me and after losing the will to live I went to our small local library to do it manually. Still haven't got it and after chasing have been told they "can't actually find it but it will be in the system somewhere and you will probably get it before the end of March"   :banghead:

Guess who's not holding his breath.

(SWMBO's was done at the same time and they know where that is!..............wouldn't dare to lose that would they?.......probably heard of her reputation!  :punish:  :angry:  :angry:  :girldevil:

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 2