The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

INCOMPETENCE THY NAME IS TECHNICAL SUPPORT...

Sod me it's difficult to get competent help these days APPARENTLY!!! :triniti:  :butcher:  :O

I had a call today from "Rebecca" who wanted to help with my slow internet speed. I am sure she could help you.

• RMweb Gold

Today's kids have a weird sense of what is romantic. A couple of quotes seen this week in the run up to Valentine's Day.

My love for you is like diarrhoea. I just can't keep it in.

If you were a bogey I would pick you.

I told Aditi that I had received a Valentine card today. She said that it was probably from that hound I sponsor at the Dogs Trust. She was of course correct!
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Was she from the sub-continent?

Ed

(I have had several of these calls lately)

Most of my calls are from people from the sub-continent!

However Rebecca did sound as if she was actually there. She terminated the call before I could tell her more about my 70Mb/s FTC line.

• Like 5

INCOMPETENCE THY NAME IS TECHNICAL SUPPORT..... <grrrrr> I'm only glad I'm getting PAID to banter back-and-forth with a bunch of numbnuts who can take 4 days (not done YET either) to "attempt" to provide me with connectivity information for a "hosted software system***"

Let me explain in terms everyone can understand.

ME = chauffeur (consultant) hired to drive (develop reports) customer to their office, just need keys for the car (system).

1) So far it's taken 4 days to get the garage (hosted solution vendor) to decide to respond to my request for a key - actually two, separate ones for the doors and ignition.

2) Finally today they provide two keys - door key doesn't work as they decided to give me FORD key for the doors on an Audi!!! 

3) Smashed window in frustration only to discover the ignition key is for a BMW, and not the Audi we're ATTEMPTING to drive!!!

At what point do I tell the customer they may have to walk to their office from now on!! :jester:

*** Hosted Software System - where a business decided to have an outsourced company provide all the hardware/software/maintenance for a business application for a monthly fee.

Expectation is it SAVES money as they don't need all the infrastructure and staff, and can get solutions quickly from competent (HAR BLOODY HAR) resources...

Sod me it's difficult to get competent help these days APPARENTLY!!! :triniti:  :butcher:  :O

I feel your pain. One of the professional hats I wear is "cleaner-up of outsourced projects". Hint for management: people working for low wages in far and distant countries generally don't care in the slightest about your business; on the offchance they follow specs to the letter, you'll end up with something which does what you want, not what you need.

• Like 2

Evening all,

Very late to sleep last night (actually c.3am!) thanks to some of the effects of medication dispensed to help me. I won't go into too much detail but an element of the 'bug' that is still hanging on to me, allied to the action of the pain killing drugs, is gastric in effect! I'm really struggling to get the balance right and at the moment either nothing for ages, or can't be too far from a loo!

Really tired tonight so I'll wish everyone a pleasant night and try to look in again tomorrow,

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night Pete! G'night all the late browsers!

Evening all. The bed is dismantled so it will be a mattress on the floor tonight. May seem a weird way of doing things but Sarah and I have a date with the Derby Beer Festival tomorrow afternoon so we are trying to save a bit of time by getting the old one out of the way so the new bed can go straight in when it arrives. Well once I have built it!

There have been a few negative comments about sport and footballers dotted around here recently. I would like to balance it out with a story from today. Derby County's reserves were playing this afternoon - a meaningless game to many - but the team featured a player called Shaun Barker. It was his first game after 3 years out with a horrific knee injury. Throughout that time he has maintained his dignity, started a charity to support those less fortunate than himself. I met him a few years ago one of the nicest gents you could meet. A talented player who has shown grit and determination when many had written him off. Great to see him back!

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Evening all, you may recall that I dismantled a Brita water filter cartridge a few days ago, well the contents have now dried out and I now have a substance that is the same size and texture as fine sand but in a mix of a black and a light grey colour (50/50%). Now I only have to find a modelling use for it. I'm going to try it as a road surface and see if it can be weathered to tone down the light grey element.

• Like 4

Evening all, you may recall that I dismantled a Brita water filter cartridge a few days ago, well the contents have now dried out and I now have a substance that is the same size and texture as fine sand but in a mix of a black and a light grey colour (50/50%). Now I only have to find a modelling use for it. I'm going to try it as a road surface and see if it can be weathered to tone down the light grey element.

Phil,

If you have a steam shed it could represent soot and ash?

Kind regards,

Jock. (Definitely off to sleep now!!)

Edited by Jock67B
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dry and 4oC, will probably be a cloudy day with light winds and the odd bright interval.

Acting cab driver again today to take Nicki shopping this morning, do the same with Chris at midday and then collect Gemma from school and take her home later. Oh joy!

Have a good one,

Bob.

I gave the vines in the backyard their annual pruning hacking today. We had a great crop last year, after a really poor one the year before. We'll see what this year brings.

• Like 7

Morning All,

The weather is quite mild this morning, and for the first time this year, I heard a blackbird as we left for work.  That means that the mornings are getting lighter at long last!

I must admit I had quite a snigger about the bloke who isn't going to buy any Hornby models anymore because they are moving to Manston.  Talk about "Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells" - I guess if that is the biggest problem in your life, then fair enough.

Having said that, the decision to close Manston was ludicrous.  All that talk of airports on islands, and there was a whopping 9000 foot runway sitting virtually disused right outside London.  Admittedly the ATC would have been a challenge, and the traffic links would have had to have been improved, but it was existing infrastructure.  Oh well - it's too late to worry about it now.

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Morning all!

Off to the physiotherapy* this morning to complete my medical visits for the week.

I was amused about someone not buying Hornby items but there is another post on there equally as daft. Some people need a lot of support in life.

We seem to be a bit light on ERs at the moment. Hope all is well!

And well done Stationmaster Mike ..reaching a milestone in posts.

Have a great day everyone.

Baz

* blithering autocorrect on my KoBo

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Morning . A mild one here too.

Our train a couple of minutes late but one after ours is cancelled. I wonder whether it's due to the 30 coaches that got vandalised over the weekend at Stewart's Lanr, Horsham and East Grinstead still having an effect.

No modelling last night as just too tired after some medicine of the alcoholic kind but some done this morning.

Edited by roundhouse

Ian Abel, on 11 Feb 2015 - 21:20, said:

INCOMPETENCE THY NAME IS TECHNICAL SUPPORT..... <grrrrr> I'm only glad I'm getting PAID to banter back-and-forth with a bunch of numbnuts who can take 4 days (not done YET either) to "attempt" to provide me with connectivity information for a "hosted software system***"

Let me explain in terms everyone can understand.

ME = chauffeur (consultant) hired to drive (develop reports) customer to their office, just need keys for the car (system).

1) So far it's taken 4 days to get the garage (hosted solution vendor) to decide to respond to my request for a key - actually two, separate ones for the doors and ignition.

2) Finally today they provide two keys - door key doesn't work as they decided to give me FORD key for the doors on an Audi!!! 

3) Smashed window in frustration only to discover the ignition key is for a BMW, and not the Audi we're ATTEMPTING to drive!!!

At what point do I tell the customer they may have to walk to their office from now on!! :jester:

*** Hosted Software System - where a business decided to have an outsourced company provide all the hardware/software/maintenance for a business application for a monthly fee.

Expectation is it SAVES money as they don't need all the infrastructure and staff, and can get solutions quickly from competent (HAR BLOODY HAR) resources...

All I can say is deja vu!

One of things I always bring up when a 16 year old tells me they are going to play for a living they don't need school. One bad tackle or one deliberate foul and the glittering career is over.

My son was in Gloucester's development squad while at 6th Form College. By that time he'd had one knee operated on and was receiving physio for an injured ankle. After a great deal of deliberation and with a degree of regret, he opted to go to university and play non professional rugby. He went on to captain the university team but 17 years later he still has problems with knees and ankles.

Donegal weather is becoming rather boring. This is our fourth day of murk and cold; I don't think the cloud base has risen above a few hundred feet in that time. At least it is dry. Not a bad thing as I need to get the bike out to go shopping, Valentines Day looming and birthday cards for the twins who will be three next week. Doesn't time fly.

• Like 2

Morning all - grey and gloomy over Borough Market Junction today. Trains ran well this morning but were disrupted last night when someone was taken ill on a preceding Sidcup line train which meant that ours was diverted via Blackheath and Charlton. I was one of a trainload who all got off at an already crowded Lewisham (and a standing room only trainload 8 coaches).

Fortunately I was able to get on a Bexleyheath line train a few minutes later and a bus from Eltham (via a quick walk up the hill to high street).

Did anyone see the Panorama programme on BBC 1 last night , dealing with the new "targeted" cancer drugs that are being developed and the people on whom they are being tested? I thought it was very interesting how much progress has been made. From a human side it was programme of sadness leavened by hope, some of the participants had died during the making but others had been stabilised and in one case the cancer appeared to have completely gone. I was struck by the dignity and braveness of the cancer sufferers all of whom were in last chance saloon, and were taking part in trials that might give them a few more years of life but would also benefit (hopefully) generations to come.

• Like 8