The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, All oktas present and correct and gently leaking. Thought I might have a productive day today but after spending 2 or 3 hours in the office yesterday trying to unscramble my work PC I find this morning that I still can't access the company network. Looks like I'll have to take another trip to the office. Grrr. I've got far better things to be doing than messing around with this work stuff! Have a good one all.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It is rather overcast and still raining here.

I can tell if it is term-time by the amusing attempts at parking by parents delivering their offspring to the school round the corner.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

I've got an invitation for an interview for a job in Waitrose biggrin.gif Apparently you've done well if you get this far, so here's hoping...

Looks like the rain is in to stay today. Never mind, looks like I'll have to get some modelling done instead wink.gif

Tony: Don't get me started on parents driving their kids to school! blink.gif

• RMweb Gold

Actually I think it is better if parents delivering their children park (even if it is comedic) near my house rather than near the school. From some of the manoeuvres I've seen it is clear that the drivers have the car in gear but not their brains. Matthew and I nearly got hit by a car driving along the pavement with it's rear passenger door (next to toddler in child seat) still open. I have driven Matthew to college but only during exam time, otherwise he caught the bus or walked.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

I can tell if it is term-time by the amusing attempts at parking by parents delivering their offspring to the school round the corner.

Tony

Don't get me started on this pet subject of mine - mummy time. I work different hours of different days, and when they coincide with the "school run" I dread it - favourites are pulling up outside the school without a signal (I suppose we should know that they are going to stop - after all, they do) and parking in the paying car park that I use (which is next door to a large primary and also a large girls grammar school) taking up spaces and not paying - I have reported this several times to no avail as the parking warden for that car park only starts at 9.00!

Here, today, it's cloudy but bright. Not a great deal happening chez 45156 at present - just waiting for the next hospital appointment to happen as per yesterday's note, to see where we go with the bad shoulder. Got Thursday and Friday off this week, to today is my hump day - as usual, there's a stack of non baseboard related jobs in prospect.

By the way, Jam, what is the nature of the prospective Waitrose job?

Not delivering groceries I presume!

How about "Chief Model Railway consultant"?

"Your groceries delivered by Southern Railways steam locomotive drawn goods trucks.- provided you have a railway track of the correct gauge."

We deliver by both Standard and Narrow gauge.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

laugh.gifIt's a Dry Goods Supermarket Assistant.

Another one of those needlessly elaborate job titles!

"Chief model railway assistant"

I wish!

Perhaps I ought to lay a 5" gauge railway around the store with some flatbed trucks laugh.gif

Oh, and if anyone is interested, I have put up a gallery on Fotopic of the prototype Calshot:

Calshot - The prototype

Edited by SouthernRegionSteam

Rest assured, this is not limited to the UK!

I live right opposite a Grundschule - that is the equivalent of a primary school. It is chaos outside my house at around eight in the morning, and again at pickup time. There are hatchings on the school side of the road, and it is forbidden to stop. On my side of the road there is a parking ban, but you can stop - however, most of the parents arriving are facing the wrong way and would have to stop on the opposite side of the road. Many just pull up and abandon their vehicles, or park across my, or my neighbours gates.

One morning, I went outside to find someone parked across my gate. I asked her to move her car because I needed to get out and was told "You'll just have to wait" until she had dropped her child at the school - which I would add is more than just letting the kids bale out. The average amount of time seems to be around ten minutes. Normally, I would shrug that sort of thing off as just being rude and ignorant - but on this occasion I told her that if she didn't move it, I'd block her car in with my wife's car, call the police and let them sort it out. She gave me a tirade of abuse for my trouble - but did move the car! :rolleyes:

In all fairness to the parents, most of them are sensible and the police do do spot checks from time to time. They'll book anyone pulling up on the hatchings, blocking drives or executing stupid manoeuvres in the road.

• RMweb Gold

I do my best to be fair about parental parking as the school pre-dates the road I live in but some of it is thoughtless and dangerous. What amuses me is that I recognise some of the vehicles come from adjacent roads. The bad parking is not gender specific in our catchment area! It was fun recently, as well as the school traffic there were three nearby houses having various building jobs done that required lots of skips, deliveries and many, many tradesmens vans. This all coincided with my acquisition of a slightly wider car but I survived!

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Weather today turns out to be a lot more pleasant - just about 27° right now and a gentle breeze, so I am not quite as drenched in sweat as I was over the weekend :lol: . However, it is predicted to turn hot again tomorrow.

"It appears we will be required to ignite the midnight petroleum, sir."

If you attempt to ignite a petroleum product on this ship at zero hundred hours, you will activate the fire suppression system, which would seal off this entire compartment. :rolleyes:

I think he may mean "burn the midnight oil". The joys of direct translation.

It is actually a quote from Star Trek TNG.

Data the Android has a habit of getting sayings wrong, and taking things literally.

• RMweb Gold

I've probably posted this before but I always remember this classic from a parent:

"I have to get there half an hour before school finishes or I end up parking further away than I live. "

I've probably posted this before but I always remember this classic from a parent:

"I have to get there half an hour before school finishes or I end up parking further away than I live. "

Ah, bless!

You don't want the little darlings to walk any where, now, do you? They might get fit and that would never do!! :(

Question for those that know: if it's raining, is there a car mountain right outside the classroom door? (Can't let them get wet!!)

(Sarchy mode now turned off!)

• RMweb Premium

You don't want the little darlings to walk any where, now, do you? They might get fit and that would never do!! :(

My dad was a teacher at the same school I attended - led (needless to say) to some interesting confrontations with my fellow pupils. He drove to work, and insisted that I walk as "nobody else got a lift to school". And so it was in those days - kids who lived more than a mile and a half away got the bus, and the rest walked.

• RMweb Premium

It is actually a quote from Star Trek TNG.

Data the Android has a habit of getting sayings wrong, and taking things literally.

Yes, that was what I am referring to with my signature :D .

• RMweb Premium

My dad was a teacher at the same school I attended - led (needless to say) to some interesting confrontations with my fellow pupils. He drove to work, and insisted that I walk as "nobody else got a lift to school". And so it was in those days - kids who lived more than a mile and a half away got the bus, and the rest walked.

Clearly soft your council 3 miles and above could have a bus pass any less and you had to walk no money for bus fares.