The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

evening all!

lots of weathering done today with no distractions!

My German at school was awful, but while working at JET I had an excellent lady from Berlin getting me through various German certificates. Apparently I have a Hamburg accent(!)

And in Switzerland I found I could understand the Swiss Army team  at Thun, until they didn't want my German colleagues to understand what they were talking about when they switched to Swiss German (or schweiss?).

I am now going for a lie down with a glass of something mildly alcoholic..... all this RMWebbing has worn me out!

Baz

evening world.

Funnily enough I have never found understanding Geordie to be an issue......mackems, now, that's a different matter.  (you may need to be from the north-east to work this all out!).

Busy at work today, lots of customers with DCC issues, all sorted though, one of them really tried my knowledge, but the customer and myself both learned something from it!

Trev - :friends:

no its that lot from Durham City who are really difficult to understand ...

• Like 11

Evening All,

Not much to report, went shopping for the weekend's big nosh-ups (curries on Saturday, haggis etc. on Sunday [Haggis was imported early January]). I shopped late in the day, so few specimens of the left hand side of the IQ normal curve were around, nonetheless I was not a happy lagomorph! I truly detest shopping in Switzerland, choice is limited and prices are very, very high. I paid CHF61 for a 1.2kg leg of NZ lamb. For that sort of money, in the UK I could get a leg of lamb from an animal that had been raised in a climate controlled luxury suite, hand fed choice morsels of exotic vegetation and painlessly dispatched by reading excerpts of Hansard to it. And to compound the misery, from seeing what is available at the butcher it seems that the average housewife here is incapable of cooking anything that isn't a chop, a filet or a loin of something (ox cheeks? pork belly? sweetbreads? keine ahnung). Which means that far too many interesting dishes are just not "do-able" here (it is illuminating to consider that Switzerland is one of the few European countries without a local version of Masterchef).

Shop in France, I hear you say. All very well, but the various cartels have got it all sewn up - very small quantities of meat, dairy, etc. are allowed in as part of one's 300CHF/day personal import quota. Fortunately, game has no limit (although you can't bring in more than 300CHF's worth), so I'll be stocking up on pheasant, venison, wild boar and hare when I'm next in London.

Well, off to bed and sweet dreams of dinner parties with sparkling conversation, amazing food and superb wines...

Nighty-night!

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Apart from test runs probably its first public steamings will be at the Mid Hants Gala Feb 13-14-15th (plug) I'm driving on Sat 14th at this event, might get a go on it (if the great and the good don't get in first) I'll possibly be owner's repping for the other two days as well. We have A4 4464 Bittern back on the railway for a year as well now its mainline ticket has run out, so if people like big engines then it's the place to be that weekend.

I have no idea what mainline runs are planned, being just a minion no one tells me nuffink....

Ah! Bisto Bittern.  What a delight she was on December 4th.  I'm sure the Mid Hantsites will love her.

Enjoy the Gala weekend.  Will be there in spirit as they say.

Green-with-Envy

:biggrin_mini:

Well, a little bit as we may have other exciting plans.

Edited by southern42
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Ah! Bisto Bittern.  What a delight she was on December 4th.  I'm sure the Mid Hantsites will love her.

Enjoy the Gala weekend.  Will be there in spirit as they say.

Green-with-Envy

:biggrin_mini:

Well, a little bit as we may other exciting plans.

We do quite like the thing...we did the original restoration on it then had it trundling up and down here for quite a while before it went to pastures new.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

evening all!

lots of weathering done today with no distractions!

My German at school was awful, but while working at JET I had an excellent lady from Berlin getting me through various German certificates. Apparently I have a Hamburg accent(!)

And in Switzerland I found I could understand the Swiss Army team  at Thun, until they didn't want my German colleagues to understand what they were talking about when they switched to Swiss German (or schweiss?).

I am now going for a lie down with a glass of something mildly alcoholic..... all this RMWebbing has worn me out!

Baz

no its that lot from Durham City who are really difficult to understand ...

Ah, pit yackers.  I've a mate in Station Town (Wingate)  - unintelligible!

• RMweb Gold

iD, I didn't see the Swiss borders being policed closely..... :angel: ...or at all? :nono: Ahem. Not that I would condone such behaviour...... :no:

I now have visions of iD leaping across the border Steve McQueen style on a motorbike with a dead sheep on the pillion!

Edited by Tony_S

• RMweb Premium

I paid CHF61 for a 1.2kg leg of NZ lamb.

£38.75 / kg? At those prices I'd eat the bone and wool, too! Flippin 'eck! 

Come to think of it, at those prices I'd consider buying a fleet of Dakotas...! 

• RMweb Gold

I now have visions of iD leaping across the border Steve McQueen style on a motorbike with a dead sheep on the pillion!

Or on one of the high mountain passes singing '"Climb Every Mountain........... ".

With Chrispher Plamber and Julie And ewes of course.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 8

Evening all.  I missed this morning as all our IT at work was down.  Then RMWEB was down when IT was restored, then I came home and went straight off to the MRC for the evening, so this is the first opportunity to catch up.

Never did German at school, so my entire German phrase knowledge is "Ein grosse bier bitte", hopefully spelled right.  At least it is a most useful phrase to have!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, Happy Birthday Mick! a strange thing for me, Mick to say.

Thanks Mick B

From another Mick B.............

Cheers,

Mick ( B )

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

A little more spruce - and no doubt a lot fitter! - than when it was parked outside my office Xmas 1968!

And it'll look very nice on GWRd when I've got some track down.  :jester:

• Like 2

Never did German at school, so my entire German phrase knowledge is "Ein grosse bier bitte", hopefully spelled right.  At least it is a most useful phrase to have!

The Germans are very courteous and introduce themselves.

My father met one whose name was Hans Hoch.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A couple of dog related incidents today. I was putting some stuff in the compost heap when I noticed a cat (small black and white with a pink collar) in one of our pear trees, the one with all the bird feeders in. I think the cat had been trying to get closer to the birds but I think they noticed, especially as there are no leaves at present. The cat seemed stuck. I was thinking about how to unstick it when Robbie decided to help. It then turned a bit Looney Tunes. Robbie launches himself at tree, cat makes mighty leap into space behind shed,dog leaps over shrub (planted to deter him going behind shed), cat runs up fence into nearby garden. Doglooks very pleased with himself. Robbie didn't like me this afternoon. On one of his excursions he returned covered in rose prunings that someone must have dumped in the park. Removing them wasn't pleasant for him and I think I did quite well not to get nipped.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

All this talk of languages reminds me of a trip to France many years ago.

The lady who was camping in the pitch opposite was Parisian and her french was perfect.  her husband it turned out was an engine driver who hailed from Marseilles.

We were invited to cocktails one evening, along with the Belgian couple who were alledgedly from the French part. They certainly didn't know (or want to know) either my or the Obergrumpenfuhrer's flemish speaking skills

However, I could communicate with them, which was fortunate because those from Paris and Marseilles couldn't understand a word of walloon!

so there you have it, the Obergrumpenfuhrer (who declines to speak french at any time as she is too shy!) translating the  french into english, for me to convert into walloon, 

My language skills are limited to asking in german, if I can park a helicopter in a field, or apologizing for running over their Mercedes in my tank.  In french I can order a donut! (Berliner........remember Kennnedy?)

My French is best described as on par with the policeman from 'Allo 'Allo, so I'm sure you can get the gist of how the cocktail party went.

Thank goodness there was champagne!

• Like 1

Morning all,

Sorry that I put a curse on the IT by mentioning how it never went to plan at Citroën!

Glad to hear that you are playing to well filled houses Sherry, wouldn't read too much into the words of your local critic!

Flávio's post about lamb reminded me that for many years, it got mum onto her soapbox. When we lived in Ayrhire in the fifties/sixties, lamb, and even better, mutton, were really cheap cuts. Tirades about Australian and New Zealand lamb, the much better (unbiased of course!) Ayrshire version and always the European Union, were roped in to her rants in later life! Must admit it is one of my favourite roasts, and both my daughter and grandson's partner often talk Joanna into selecting it when invited to Sunday lunch - I obviously don't mind as I get to share it with them! The price here does not humour me one bit however!!

Poet's day now so I hope it passes quickly for those of you who look forward to the weekend. Hope all the lucky folks who are going to the Stafford show enjoy it, and as I can't get there I shall rely on Polly's pictures (if Ray gives her a break HaHa!). Rumour has it that the 'Camel Quay Morris Men' will be performing on both days of the show!

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'morning Pete!

• Like 11

"Ein grosses Bier bitte" due to beer being of neutral gender.

(17 years in Germany... at least Japanese doesn't have gender or case...)

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

A decent hour and half in the shed fitting and painting handrails amongst other fiddly tasks.

Anyway, off to bed now, another day and year older. (Thanks for all the Feliz Aniversário!)

Hoping that the weather isn't too frosty in the morning (forecast is 0 degrees to about 10am, although it doesn't quite feel that cold outside now) as one of my learners has a driving test at 0920 and then I've another at 2.30.

G'night all.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Morning all,

Sorry that I put a curse on the IT by mentioning how it never went to plan at Citroën!

Glad to hear that you are playing to well filled houses Sherry, wouldn't read too much into the words of your local critic!

Flávio's post about lamb reminded me that for many years, it got mum onto her soapbox. When we lived in Ayrhire in the fifties/sixties, lamb, and even better, mutton, were really cheap cuts. Tirades about Australian and New Zealand lamb, the much better (unbiased of course!) Ayrshire version and always the European Union, were roped in to her rants in later life! Must admit it is one of my favourite roasts, and both my daughter and grandson's partner often talk Joanna into selecting it when invited to Sunday lunch - I obviously don't mind as I get to share it with them! The price here does not humour me one bit however!!

Poet's day now so I hope it passes quickly for those of you who look forward to the weekend. Hope all the lucky folks who are going to the Stafford show enjoy it, and as I can't get there I shall rely on Polly's pictures (if Ray gives her a break HaHa!). Rumour has it that the 'Camel Quay Morris Men' will be performing on both days of the show!

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'morning Pete!

Hi Jock, Hopefully, they'll look like they're dancing.  They'll actually be firmly stuck down although we have jested about some sort of automatic mechanisation but that IS really pushing it. :jester:

Apologies if I've spoilt the illusion.

G'nite all.  Way too long on ERs today...er...hum...yesterday.

Nos da.

Edited by southern42
  • Like 8