The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

While I still have the picture editor up, here are a few more pics from the ME Show.

Last night, while we were switching TV channels, the programme Indian Hill Railways came up. We sat and watched.

Double take from Ally Pally.

The cinema

attachicon.gifIMG_4862 saddle tank.JPG

The Hotel

attachicon.gifIMG_4859 Windamere Hotel.JPG

Some shops

attachicon.gifIMG_4872 tools.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4878 Shop.JPG

And the Station

attachicon.gifIMG_4819 Indian Hill Railway.JPG

Some way off - on another Continent exhibit - was this critter but I just had to have him (her?) for ERs. :mosking:

attachicon.gifIMG_4844 Hippo.JPG

Good Lord! The Indian Hills Railway brings back some memories.

Originally owned by a chap called Rob Bennett.

I made all the point work for IHR which istr, was a mixture of conventional turnouts and stub switches. all code 215 brass rail, wooden sleepers and gimp pins (we couldn't source proper dog spikes in those days)

Then it got sold to fund Rob's move into 7/8ths, although he still maintained an interest in 16mm.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Domestic disaster, the telly seems to have given up. It turns on OK, the sound comes on but the tube (yes, we have had it a long time) has a half hearted attempt at producing a blue screen before the TV switches itself off. I guess it could be the tube or the internal power supply, either way it may be terminal. There has been a certain amount of pressure to join the 21st Century for some time. Maybe that time has arrived!

John,

We had a problem like that with our TV.

It got cured when it was wound back up!

• RMweb Gold

Evening all,

Apologies for not reading up to date so commiserations and congratulations and a speedy return to health to all where it applis.  Have just spent something in excess of an hour struggling with a verry recalcitrant iMac and a helpful lady from Portugal (not struggling with her, just following orders!) but net result is teh Mac remains well and truly knackered and can't go into shops until Sunday so I'm using a borrowed laptop (0ccasionally - herself also uses it as it's hers) running Windahs (which I barely understand nowadays) plus a keyboard I don' t like.

So my visits for the coming week will likely be brief and fleeting alas.  On the other hand the trip to Cardiff was not bad, even made a minus connection at Reading on the way home and I saved a goodly sum in the Ian Allan sale thanks to 50% off - all on books including which was first published in November plus several interesting volumes relating to Sth wales - I might be going back later in the week!

We also havde a poorly cat so it's chip shop cod tonight in the hope he'll brighten up.

Have a good evening.

• RMweb Gold

I had almost forgotten crt based television problems. When the red gun on Aditi's father's colour television failed, it took some convincing on my part to make him realise that turning the brightness up didn't really work for those of us with normal colour vision. MiL had tolerated it for a fortnight. Matthew has inherited the fairly severe colour vision deficiency but is quite content to take advice about colour choices. When he was little he seemed very concerned about choosing anything that might have been pink.

• RMweb Premium

Evening all. Slowly felt better by about noon and had a longing for something hearty, so dinner was leftover hommous with Oriental style meatballs and roast aubergine:

mobile.82p9p7d.jpg

Kitties sharing a chair:

mobile.831gus5.jpg

Oh, and happy birthday, Jack!

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifWith apologies to NHN.jpg

With apologies to NHN (Permission to leave in post herewith requested - pretty please :tender:  )

Sorry.  Couldn't resist this one.

Of course, Polly.

I just hope the scenic stuff was bought from Trackshack, as that is Mr T himself, holding the fence up in supervisory mode while NHN toils with the jack.....and the guy weathering the track is the Chairman!

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Of course, Polly.

I just hope the scenic stuff was bought from Trackshack, as that is Mr T himself, holding the fence up in supervisory mode while NHN toils with the jack.....and the guy weathering the track is the Chairman!

Neil, if you turn the ink bottle and powder sacks round a little, you'll see the Trackshack price stickers.  :D  

Dry, cold and clear mauve-ish skies in Edinburgh. I'm now on my train and heading for London. And bizarrely the office have put me in 1st class.

Hope you enjoyed the free breakfast... :yes:

Mal

edited to add smiley

Edited by Purley Oaks

Hope you enjoyed the free breakfast... :yes:

Mal

edited to add smiley

I did, though I felt guilty about eating rare breeds bacon. If they're that rare, should I really be eating them?

Well, despite everything I've been told about the big bad city, I've not been mugged yet and there have actually been people who've talked to me! This is my first ever visit to London on my own. I'm only 37...

As I'm in town and had an evening to kill I went to see The Mousetrap as I've always wondered what the secret ending was. And now I know and I'm not telling! ;-)

Edited by sixoh8sixoh
  • Like 13

Evening all,

Very late on parade and an early start tomorrow! So I'm afraid it's the commiserations/congratulations routine again, although I've managed to catch up if nothing else. Hopefully check in am, hoping to see more of Debs and hear that ailments such as Dom's have improved!

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night Pete!

• Like 9

I saw The Mousetrap in Southend. I guessed who the murderer was.

As I'm not an Agatha Christie fan, I have no interest in the murderer's identity, but, being addicted to googling, I had to look to see why other people do find it of particular interest. I still don't understand why, and there is no need to worry that I'll give away his name, as I've forgotten it already.

Curmudgeonly, Gordon.

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all, 

Many congratulations  RSQ- that's great news! :yes: Better start looking for his first train set! (if you haven't already done so)

Cold frosty start here today. ( -2oC.) Should stay dry and cold with the occasional bright spell.

After reading the news from Japan I'm now in a better mood. About 45 minutes ago I met two morons driving their cars with just a tiny patch cleared on their windscreens to see through. One came round a corner towards me on the wrong side of the road but I stopped in time. The other then appeared in front of me driving what looked like a mobile igloo at about 5MPH!

I do have the benefit of a Quickclear screen but I still de-ice all my other windows, lights and mirrors before I attempt to drive. It only takes a few minutes - if that!

Rant over  -  and breathe!

I may run some trains this morning before shopping and then grandkids & their parents are here after school and work for a meal so my day is looking better already.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob

Morning All,

It is another rather chilly morning here - with a sprinkling of snow.  Fortunately, the temperature is above freezing (just!) so I didn't have to clear the pavement before I went to work.

The run into work was quite reasonable as the traffic was flowing freely.  The lowest temperature spotted was -1°C in the forest, so not too cold.

Time for a coffee!

Have a good day everyone...

Forgot to add:  Congratulations to Railsquid, and belated Happy Birthday to Jack.  Plus of course, anyone else that I have forgotten!

Edited by Robert
  • Like 7

Morning all,  and congratulations to the Railsquid family!   - Bought your new son a train-set yet?  

Not much else to report from here though the Hamartan is still making it's presence felt. It's just laying a fine film of dust over everything. 

have a good day all, 

Trev.

• Like 12

Morning all. Congratulations Railsquid.

A chilly -2 here but at least there isn't a gale blowing as well. The Southern website is showing no problems (apart from LBG). Have a good day everyone and please be safe out there with all the idiots around

• Like 8