The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Good morning all, Happy Birthday Jack and great to see you back on ERs Debs hoping you're feeling better.

Mixture of sun, cloud and snow flurries, here, so I'm not tempted out.  Shopping will have to wait. :mosking:

Have a good day, all.

My car has the same fault, I move the switch and the indicator is on, then it goes off, then it comes on again, then it goes off...

Bring back Trafficators, you knew where you were with them as long as you remembered to bang the top of the "B" post to make sure it had retracted.

I've still a bit to go, probably about 85 pages. Planning to go and see the film once I've finished the book. Did you enjoy it?

I think it's a mistake to do it that way round. You have images of the characters in your head, but those on screen never match up.

Ed

• Like 1

Afternoon all,

Head just cleared but now in a hurry, just been told we're going out!

Lovely evening and sound sleep and lovely news on here today - Jack has made that impressive number and so I'd like to wish you many more of them sir! The lovely avatar of our Debs has re-appeared, which is a major plus as some members may have been tempted to step out of line - seriously, lovely to see you back Debs and hope you are getting better!!

Off before someone's BP goes off the scale,

Be safe all,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

While I still have the picture editor up, here are a few more pics from the ME Show.

Last night, while we were switching TV channels, the programme Indian Hill Railways came up. We sat and watched.

Double take from Ally Pally.

The cinema

post-14049-0-52868400-1421670199.jpg

The Hotel

post-14049-0-61839100-1421670362.jpg

Some shops

post-14049-0-80566600-1421670423.jpg

post-14049-0-14484500-1421670453.jpg

And the Station

post-14049-0-20434100-1421670887.jpg

Some way off - on another Continent exhibit - was this critter but I just had to have him (her?) for ERs. :mosking:

post-14049-0-10647500-1421671001.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

The mention of BP reminds me that Matthew has an interview with BP on Wednesday. Interviews seem very complicated nowadays. There seem to be a couple of online tests, then a telephone interview and now a "technical interview". This is face to face and tests to see what you know. If successful there are " situational awareness" group activities some time in the future.

• Like 2

The mention of BP reminds me that Matthew has an interview with BP on Wednesday. Interviews seem very complicated nowadays. There seem to be a couple of online tests, then a telephone interview and now a "technical interview". This is face to face and tests to see what you know. If successful there are " situational awareness" group activities some time in the future.

Cue Flanders and Swann - "It all makes work for the HR Man to do"

Happy Birthday Jack, welcome back Debs...

Busy weekend, clearing house of ALL remaining Christmas decoration and associated stuff, some modeling (sshhh) and a lot more planning for our vacation in May.

Pretty much all of Sunday taken up with singing at two services then the MLK Concert in the evening - standing on risers for a total of 6+ hours (counting rehearsing), I need a weekend to recover! :O

Back to work today even though much of the public/government facilities are closed as it is Martin Luther King day - includes the Post Orifice Office so my latest acquisitions won't show up today <sigh>

-2 and overcast here right now, and a light snow falling - which is TOTALLY un-forecast (surprise, surprise!!), so who knows how it'll proceed, as the snow is getting heavier as I type...

Enjoy your Monday...

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Good luck with the car, Bob. My local garage is excellent and seem to fix most things quickly. Just as well, as their labour charge is around £30/min.

Just getting light here. I think it might be dampish.

Now fixed (said he crossing various digits) for total cost of £38.70  :imsohappy: 

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

My car has the same fault, I move the switch and the indicator is on, then it goes off, then it comes on again, then it goes off...

Strange, mine does just the opposite.

Domestic disaster, the telly seems to have given up. It turns on OK, the sound comes on but the tube (yes, we have had it a long time) has a half hearted attempt at producing a blue screen before the TV switches itself off. I guess it could be the tube or the internal power supply, either way it may be terminal. There has been a certain amount of pressure to join the 21st Century for some time. Maybe that time has arrived!

• Like 2

Aft'noon all,

A sure sign of the advance of the year is arriving home at 3pm and still being able to manage a one and half hour calorie burn in daylight. It was a touch arctic in the Moorlands this afternoon but Christmas card pretty with clear skies, frost/ice/snow and a noticeable wind chill. Luckily the longer ride involves a severe climb up on to Morridge early on, to get the muscles warm and the circulation revving.....this is followed by a rewarding ride along the ridge with excellent views into Derbyshire to the right and over the Moorlands to the left. The 'bottomless pool' beyond what was 'The Mermaid' public house was iced over with snow lying on top. Out to Roach End and conditions were getting tricky on untreated surfaces, however a little care and attention was rewarded with yet more low sunlight wintery scenes. One last long climb before the coasting section home....a nice warm shower waiting to begin the recovery process.

Bird feeders topped up.

Enjoy what you do

Dave   

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Went out to do the shopping while the sun was out.  We'd had a couple of snow flurries in the morning but nothing major, certainly not enough to prepare me for a white out on the mountains....and who didn't take the camera, today?  :banghead: 

• RMweb Gold

Domestic disaster, the telly seems to have given up. It turns on OK, the sound comes on but the tube (yes, we have had it a long time) has a half hearted attempt at producing a blue screen before the TV switches itself off. I guess it could be the tube or the internal power supply, either way it may be terminal. There has been a certain amount of pressure to join the 21st Century for some time. Maybe that time has arrived!

You may be pleasantly surprised.

Apparently they do colour now too.

Just back from doing a Portable Appliance Test for a friend of a friend. Her late father had pre war O gauge and more recent OO gauge. In the main, the H&M transformers passed the test once legal plugs and/or fuses were installed. The Meccano transformers thumping out 35 volt for the O gauge were all failures, mainly due to perished cables.

But the scary one was the Meccano transformer had had clearly been purchased second hand. It had been marked "For display purposes only" and a new lead had been fitted. Unscrewing the transformer's base showed accessible wires where the old cable had been cut short and connected to the new cable. But more scary was the plug with at least four faults, including a frayed line wire and an unconnected earth wire.

I'm a bit dumbfounded. That transformer was a potential killer, and the (unknown) second hand dealer was culpable. So, if you buy second hand electrical goods, get it checked by a competent person before it is used.

Bill

Edited by bbishop