The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Weather getting a little milder in our neck of the woods. It’s been very cold but have not had to fire up the snow blower once. Forecast looks good too.

Bad weather seems to have stayed to the north crossing Canada. Frankly, they are welcome to it.

Of course compared to England this has been well brass monkey weather.....

Best, Pete.

• Like 7

It's fairly easy to drill tiles (masonry drill and masking tape for grip) but it sounds like you have Allison the task in hand.

I think we need photos of the Junoesque Allison. If she’s any good we could start a fan club....

Best, Pete.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Weather getting a little milder in our neck of the woods. It’s been very cold but have not had to fire up the snow blower once. Forecast looks good too.

Bad weather seems to have stayed to the north crossing Canada. Frankly, they are welcome to it.

Of course compared to England this has been well brass monkey weather.....

Best, Pete.

Its balmy here compared ot what it was in Chicago New Years eve that we just went from bar to bar to get warm rather than go see the fire works. It got even colder there after we moved further West.

Afternoon all,

Although a bit fed up with a headache (probably due to the introduction of a new type of blood pressure pill), the news from Edinburgh has really cheered me. You've obviously got a fighter there Mal, let's hope it continues apace - please keep us posted!

We seem to be missing the most destructive of the weather here at the moment, so I can only hope that none of my digital friends suffer too much damage as well as managing to stay safe.

Wonder what the odds are on seeing comet'Lovejoy' tonight?

Kind regards,

Jock.

• RMweb Premium

Up earlyish (for me) to go and pick up one of my pupils at 0800 for a driving test at 0920.

Thanks for all the supportive ratings - much appreciated.

The test went ahead and it went well - one more qualified driver out there 

One less person to fund my model railway habit though! Although she'll go and tell all her mates to use my instructor services, so it's actually all good.....

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Just back from the doctor where I've been prescribed better drugs and inhaler to help me through my breathless stages.

I asked her if I could o/d on it?.

Unlikely she replied:  Why?

I then related the overdose I tried of menthol crystals in hot water to help clear a blocked sinus.

She was still trying not to laugh when I left.

I am now eagerly trying to induce a coughing fit to see if the inhaler works.

Hang on a minute where did I put it?  Gasp wheeze etc.

In other entertaining news, on the way back from the doctors, I called into Aldi to buy one of their £17.99 hand held steam cleaners.

I bought some other stuff, but the total bill came to £10.98!

Being an honest soul I pointed it out to the lady on the till, and the manager was summoned.

They did try to sort it out, as the cleaner was supposed to be at the price on the box, but the computer would not let them over ride the bill, so after about 5 minutes with a massive queue growing behind me, I was forced to pay £9.99 instead.

As I was leaving there were lots of people rushing back to pick up the steam cleaners.

In fact, I'm pretty sure the store has now been cleaned out

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all, rather late as various chores have got in the way.  SWMBO is still away and I have to pick her up late this evening before heading to manchester airport for an overnight stay before 2 weeks in Tenerife.   She ahs trusted me to bring the pre packed cases but I am busy putting enougb modelling amterials in said cases to construct 10 EMU cabs.  

Meanwhile i was waiting for the new camera to be delivered.   sod's law it got delayed at Heathrow by weather and is now en route to East Midlands.  DHL have said that they will deliver it tomorrow morning.  Too late we'll be in the air.  I offerred to got to east Midlands, en route to pick up SWMBO but was told that they had to attempt a delivery before i  could do that.  Apparently it's in their contract.   I've now rung Olympus and theya re going to try and arange for me to pick it up.  Life is such fun.

Jamie

How about a French cleat?

A batten mounted on the wall (well above the tiles) with the top edge chamfered at 45º. A mirror image batten is fixed to the back of the cupboard and then dropped onto the wall batten. Invisible, very strong, and easy to fit. If the wall is a bit iffy you have several chances of a solid fixing for the wall batten.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/how-to/article/how-to-hang-a-cabinet-on-the-wall.aspx

Very good idea, especially as Ian is in France. I bought a bathroom cupboard the other day and that came complete with chamfered batten. dead easy to fix single handed.

PS. The wind has died down a little but the sea is still wild, huge waves breaking over the headland sending spray hundreds of feet into the air. 

PPS. Earlier the very strong winds were driving the rain through the french doors and through the vents in the roof slating! Towels suitably distributed. Memo to self: seal the french doors with duct tape for the winter!

Edited by Killybegs

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for all the supportive ratings - much appreciated.

The test went ahead and it went well - one more qualified driver out there 

One less person to fund my model railway habit though! Although she'll go and tell all her mates to use my instructor services, so it's actually all good.....

Cheers,

Mick

Mick as an ex ADI, I know only too well how how reputation through personal recommendation is the very best form of advertising your business.

The standards expected of young/new drivers is far higher than the general public realise.

It is just a pity that some of them suddenly think that having passed the test, they are fully experienced  and will never require any further advice or training.

I'm glad your young lady passed and wish her the best of luck and many years of happy and safe driving ahead.

Edited by Happy Hippo

• RMweb Premium

Mick as an ex ADI, I know only too well how how reputation through personal recommendation is the very best form of advertising your business.

The standards expected of young/new drivers is far higher than the general public realise.

It is just a pity that some of them suddenly think that having passed the test, they are fully experienced  and will never require any further advice or training.

I'm glad your young lady passed and wish her the best of luck and many years of happy and safe driving ahead.

Hi Richard,

Thanks. 99.9% of my business is through reputation - very few cold calls asking for lessons.

Completely agree about higher standards - and that applies to us ADI's also as they (DVSA) keep upping the ante on standards (check) tests.

I always recommend further training - especially dual carriageways and motorways as these are alien environments to them from the day they pass. In fact I hope to get a call from my new driver in a day or two to arrange such extra training.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

Weather was sunny here but clouding over now - another day with a few trains around at annoying intervals meaning I would need to make 4 journeys to the station and 1 to the fields near Diss - can't do that with work, even if the station is only 5 minutes away so I've cut it down to two of them, still means I get a 37 in the new DRS livery so can't complain.

Not sure how much wind we had (outside the bedroom) last night but slept through it anyway, no obvious damage to the house so fingers crossed and no fates tempted.

Have a good day all.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Big news - our District Council offices were attacked by an arsonist last night and have been fairly comprehensively trashed by the resultant fire, but no reported casualties.  There will now be the interesting scenario of seeing how the DC's 'disaster recovery' plan works (if it works) and whether or not all their data was stored on site or there are copies offsite.

We can perhaps hope that the best outcome will be the total destruction of their records at which point I can let them know that we are in Council Tax Band A :jester:   (every smoke cloud might have a silver lining)

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Premium

Just popping in again after day-before-bin-day jobs, coffee, and lunch.

I'm beginning to think we may need a multi-funtional button.  I've been reading so many posts the last few days when I think I'll just click on a button << haha funny - oh! maybe not - ah! that's so sad - funny - oh dear! - very clever - Oooo, like that! - that's informative - er?...um? - don't agree>> all in one post. 

Maybe this one will help.

post-14049-0-29428800-1421329749.jpg

Still sunny.  Rain on the horizon.  Just thought I'd let you know.

• Like 11

Big news - our District Council offices were attacked by an arsonist last night and have been fairly comprehensively trashed by the resultant fire, but no reported casualties.  There will now be the interesting scenario of seeing how the DC's 'disaster recovery' plan works (if it works) and whether or not all their data was stored on site or there are copies offsite.

We can perhaps hope that the best outcome will be the total destruction of their records at which point I can let them know that we are in Council Tax Band A :jester:   (every smoke cloud might have a silver lining)

Seems someone had a busy night

• RMweb Gold

After a certain amount of difficulty with identifying exactly where we were re the plugs in the wall, suddenly it all came good, and all 4 screws are now fully tight. Result! Sherry's idea of books worked well, not least because we were able to play tunes on adjusting the height to find the holes by finding slimmer or thicker volumes. By 1300 we were dining.

Thanks for all the ideas, which sounded feasible, but were not needed on the day.

And, yes, I do promise to come clean if it falls off the wall again!

Trisonic - Junoesque might be a bit unfair, but Alison is a good looker, for someone who's 50 this year. She may be a bit reticent if I ask for pictures - even clothed! She's just read your suggestion and giggled. She says she's not sure she wishes to be the subject of a tribute band! If the French lover doesn't up his game (commitment would be good, and he's married, of course) she may be looking for a new partner. She lacks confidence that she'd find one, due to having three young children, and a rather ramshackle house that her ex may dispute is hers. But some men would find such a lady, with 17 acres of quiet French countryside, quite a nice prospect, all the same.

• Like 8

Trisonic - Junoesque might be a bit unfair, but Alison is a good looker, for someone who's 50 this year. She may be a bit reticent if I ask for pictures - even clothed! She's just read your suggestion and giggled. She says she's not sure she wishes to be the subject of a tribute band! If the French lover doesn't up his game (commitment would be good, and he's married, of course) she may be looking for a new partner. She lacks confidence that she'd find one, due to having three young children, and a rather ramshackle house that her ex may dispute is hers. But some men would find such a lady, with 17 acres of quiet French countryside, quite a nice prospect, all the same.

I was amazed to discover, yesterday, reading my next weeks TV guide, that Halle Berry is 48!