The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
Sorry to hear the buses are in sympathy with London Bridge works. ISTR the LT bus strike in the mid-50s saw off custom that never returned. Such clever people.

We arrived late into London Bridge (about 10 minutes which is not too bad these days).

Walked out the front of the station and there was just one bus there with no queue and not that many people on it, so my other half managed to catch it as its goes into the City where she works, so she was very fortunate.

I remember seeing big queues for such buses in past strikes but this time presume that either other trains were delayed more, so there werent the people there to catch it or people just assumed no buses at all and made other plans.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I was awake most of the night with RLS and coughing. I must have forgotten to take my RLS meds again, due to being distracted and stressed at the time I normally take them. However I could clearly remember taking them! I'm still not sure if I did or not; there are nights when they don't seem to be very effective. 

We've had a sunny spell and I hacked some of the rampant passionflower off the house front to fill up the green waste bin. Now it's clouding over from the west.

Yesterday I found Diabetes for Dummies on sale cheap at The Works. Being a bit of a dummy about science stuff I hope it will be useful.

Today's shop is Lidl.

May you be blessed with many camels trains.

Pete

Pete,

I take so many meds that I use a system, warnings when due on my mobile and each box of pills set out along a shelf near the top of my wardrobe in the order in which I take them. If I fail to take the pain control medicine, I am soon reminded why I need it! I would be mad not to take my chemo pills each night!

Most chemists have a variety of inexpensive solutions to aid the memory and they're well worth a look to see if one suits you. This ageing process isn't much fun is it?

Hope you feel better soon,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Morning all from Scottish HQ... Alternately sunny / snowing / sunny / snowing here.  Nothing settling here yet, but with heavy snow forecast for hometime, it may well do later on.

My first dentist at Newcastle Dental Hospital when I was going for braces as a kid was Gordon Bennett.

Watched the first two episodes of the latest series of Spiral last night (recorded on Sat as we had friends round for supper). We didn't see any of the earlier series but were impressed by what we saw. Who knows, it might even improve my French! I have always been cr*p at languages although my French did improve when working with a French contractor as did my German when I was working two days a week in that country. My German has gone but I do try to keep my French together for our annual pilgrimages to France. Be very worried Ian, we will be in the Sarthe later this year!

Debated watching this, but as it was series 5, I wondered if I needed knowledge of previous events or whether it was an ok jumping-on point.  If it's fine to jump on, I shall catch up with it on iPlayer.

There has been the occasional posting in ERs over the years about getting rid of invasive plant species in the garden.  I came across this this morning on the BBCs website.  It seems the green solution is to engage a herd of goats.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-30583512

I'm half debating buying a herd and renting them out.  There's some awful patches of Himalayan Balsam near my parents' house.

[edit to add:] Just a thought, about 5 years ago, I was on Traprain Law in East Lothian.  Scottish Wildlife Trust had a small herd of rare breed sheep that they transported from site to site to manage vegetation and improve the condition of SSSIs and SACs. They refered to them as their "Flying Flock".

Edited by sixoh8sixoh
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Scottish HQ... Alternately sunny / snowing / sunny / snowing here.  Nothing settling here yet, but with heavy snow forecast for hometime, it may well do later on.

My first dentist at Newcastle Dental Hospital when I was going for braces as a kid was Gordon Bennett.

Debated watching this, but as it was series 5, I wondered if I needed knowledge of previous events or whether it was an ok jumping-on point.  If it's fine to jump on, I shall catch up with it on iPlayer.

I'm half debating buying a herd and renting them out.  There's some awful patches of Himalayan Balsam near my parents' house.

[edit to add:] Just a thought, about 5 years ago, I was on Traprain Law in East Lothian.  Scottish Wildlife Trust had a small herd of rare breed sheep that they transported from site to site to manage vegetation and improve the condition of SSSIs and SACs. They refered to them as their "Flying Flock".

By coincidence there is an article in the new Trains magazinbe about a bridge collapse in the  USA where 20,000 gallons of corn syrup went into a river and deoxygenated it.  Many fish were killed and had to be removed.  The inevitable lgal action ensued (And it still ongoing) but it has now emerged that 98% of all the fish killed were an invasive speciecies of asian carp that various agencies are spending millions of dollars to eradicate.

Jamie

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

By coincidence there is an article in the new Trains magazinbe about a bridge collapse in the  USA where 20,000 gallons of corn syrup went into a river and deoxygenated it.  Many fish were killed and had to be removed.  The inevitable lgal action ensued (And it still ongoing) but it has now emerged that 98% of all the fish killed were an invasive speciecies of asian carp that various agencies are spending millions of dollars to eradicate.

Jamie

Sweet!!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Sweet!!

There was a derailment at Weaver Junction once that included containers of Whisky and Caustic Soda (Seperate i hasten to add) and it became know for a time as Whisky and soda junction.   In this case as the river involved was The Spoon river  we should be able to come up with something good such as

A spoon full of syrup    etc.... :jester:

Hat

Coat.

Gone

Jamie

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The Obergrumpenfuhrer once taught a little West Indian lad called Ashley White.

She also taught Charlotte Rhodes (think Onedin Line) and then there was the delightful Paige Turner.

At school with me was a lad called Ifor Leake:  and his dad was a plumber!

• RMweb Premium

SWMBO once worked as a sugeon's secretary and had to run clinics.  One morning she called out the next patient and then realised she had just called for

Annette Kurtain.

However at the boarding school where I was a dayboy we had a lad who had cerbal palsy.  Boarders post was laid out on a table each morning for collection  and we would see letters from the lad's parents addressed to

Master  S P A Slinger.

Not at all nice for the lad concerned.

Jamie

Go for it. You soon pick up on what happened at the end of the previous series.

...Lurker, my old service manager called his cat Roger and I'm certain that it was only so he could say, at the end of each day, 'I'm off home now to Roger the cat!!...

Jock - it's a bloody good job the office is empty this morning, reading this had me almost fall off my chair! Thanks for an amazing laugh first thing it just struck me as hilarious must be getting too old!  :jester:

For weed control, turns out you can't beat a herd of goats, and there is a business opportunity cropping up in MN related to it as we have an infestation of a plant called Buckthorn which is the devil to eradicate, until someone figured out goats LOVE it!! http://blogs.mprnews.org/statewide/2013/08/goats-have-an-appetite-for-buckthorn-in-se-minnesota/

Sodding cold here this morning, especially noticeable as I had to come into the office today (Tuesday) as well as tomorrow (normal day) - the car wasn't happy, started but hates to warm up on these morning <sigh>

-23 on the drive in with a -31 wind chill, was hazy due to the car exhaust which creates almost fog like scenarios at this temperature...

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon, later than I planned on here as I had to sort the sky box out which wasn't turning on, needed a complete hard reboot rather than the soft one. All sorted now but the downside is that all recordings and stuff on the planner have gone.

Other half realised she would have to reset to record various programmes and then that she had lost all her recorded stuff. Didn't help when I said oh well Ive watched all mine so lost nothing!

Regained status quo when I suggested she downloads some using on demand. Phew!

Morning was in the shed tidying up  and running a new loco in, dry and sunny but cold here, see snow is on the way for some. Enjoy!

Alan

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon, later than I planned on here as I had to sort the sky box out which wasn't turning on, needed a complete hard reboot rather than the soft one. All sorted now but the downside is that all recordings and stuff on the planner have gone.

I've a sinking feeling that my Youview box will also need a factory reset - it is supported by BT TV service, so the technical help is somewhere South and East of here, and it is pretty hit and miss - their only advice was to unplug the box for a short time, and if that fails, then to do a hard reboot - as I've got about 70 recordings, and all my favourites for future recording all set up, I'm reluctant.

Afternoon All

Cold here, and I had to do the shopping early this morning, as 30747's lift to work wasn't happening.  Traffic, traffic, and more traffic as it was coming up to school time, and though Morrisons was pretty empty of customers, it was also pretty devoid of much of the stuff that we wanted, so a two centre shop to Aldi (almost next door) was called for - but that in turn meant that I could get some of their excellent German Lager - oh hardship.

Wood burner's been lit since about one, and it is cosy in the front room.  I'll need to get down to splitting up some of the larger logs soon, but that was one of the tasks that was taboo after the operation - and the Doc said that it will be a few more weeks before I am cleared for too much strenuous work.  Hopefully we can eke out the logs that are already cut until then.

Regards to All

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon, all.

Settle down, now.  Just because it was a wet play today doesn't excuse all this noise and hilarity. :)

Not much to report, other than the commute today was a bit wet underfoot. Would have taken a more leisurely pace but my two children were anxious to get stuck into the Breakfast Club that I help run. Wondering if I can claim 5 minutes overtime from their pocket money! 

Funny how I used to notice the noise from the school during playtime when sat at home several hundred yards away - but within a few days I stand in the thick of it and it just washes over me. Must be habituation - reminds me how a friend described bayonet training in the Royal Marines! Day 1 bayonet a sack of straw...Day 5 bayonet a bag full of animal entrails and encourage the recruit to get covered in said entrails.  

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon, all.

Funny how I used to notice the noise from the school during playtime when sat at home several hundred yards away - but within a few days I stand in the thick of it and it just washes over me. Must be habituation - reminds me how a friend described bayonet training in the Royal Marines! Day 1 bayonet a sack of straw...Day 5 bayonet a bag full of animal entrails and encourage the recruit to get covered in said entrails.  

Andy

That's a pretty harsh way to think of  treating the little darlings, though I can appreciate you being tempted. 

Jamie

• Like 1

Evening all,  

"happily"! ensconced in a hotel in Aba...well until I went to the restaurant.......the menu is quite interesting; "Gratinated onions and lick soup with whipping cream and swiss cheeze"  and other such delights - though peppered dog is not listed! (Apparently  it is in some of the lesser known eateries around here!)  So gave that a miss  it was actually easier to ask what they did have - turns out best they can do will be a Pizza. 

But why is it hotel rooms now have got such dim lighting? 

Just seen a couple of snippets of the UK's weather - stay safe folks! 

Trev

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all. Getting up at 5 am blows! I'm rather happy with how my lesson today went, however. Much of that has to do with my currently working with a colleague whom I get along with very well, I think I should point out! At the same time, the class (8th grade) is very mature and good to work with, which is anything but a given at that age...

• RMweb Premium

Good evening.

names...I had a distant cousin called Maurice Carr...but as he was born around the turn of the previous century it mightn't have been an issue when he was baptised!  Some one mentioned one the same as a friend's daughter almost married into - Annette Gough went out with a lad called graham Kurten...close, she dumped him.

Cold here, 3c or so, snow showers but mot lying.  Gales tomorrow, force 10 predicted, the UK will be cut off from civilisation again.....

Stewart, this was our answer to not being able to chop logs....just over £200, worth every penny.  Splits great big bits we have that are like flintstone wheels.

http://www.tooled-up.com/product/handy-6-tonne-electric-log-splitter-with-stand-2200w-240v/195790/?Referrer=googleproductlisting&gclid=CjwKEAiAodOlBRDCjr-UlJDjtVUSJABR7fxyy0fMGlCOyyUHNCtPWoeG6Ypgfu1-CdXIqLduR2OH8RoCeuTw_wcB

• Like 9