The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Probably not the place for the discussion but I don't think I'm required to accept it.

I'd be pleased to see pro-active steps by Muslims to purge their places of worship of such people.

Well done to those who have taken such action but it is by no means universal.

I'd be pleased to see armed forces from Muslim countries taking over the role against ISIS.

• RMweb Premium

evening.

Keeping clear of politic/religious comments....but yeah.  Wish people would just be nice to each other.  Or even ignore each other if they must.

Stewart, that probably was Fraggle Rock you saw, we've been rowing like hell all afternoon to get back over here!  We went 'out west' to see the sea, so to speak, the waves were really hammering in, and there was a lot of, er, shloggs of foam flying everywhere.  Then looked at Peel, well Fenella Beach really, laughing at pedestrians and folk in cars trying to dodge the waves on the causeway out to the castle.  Waves 17, pedestrians 3.

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I'd be pleased to see armed forces from Muslim countries taking over the role against ISIS.

Many of them are, the Jordanians, Syrians and even the Iranians are heavily involved but given the political/sectarian differences that make up Middle East politics don't expect any co-ordination.

Morning all.

...........Anyway it's the end of my first week in the new job and many positives to give myself a pat on the back for and, of course, a lot of feedback that will help me do even better next week. 

Couldn't have got through the week without having brilliant colleagues in the team I lead, so made sure to tell them that before the went home.  

I'm pleased to hear that you've enjoyed your first week and I'm sure it will continue well; acknowledging support from helpful colleagues will pay dividends and may well be unfamiliar to them .

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It has been breezy here but nothing like other parts of the country. Some of the gusts surprised a few people. I lashed down my shopping before returning to the car on the roof car park at Sainsbury as I had observed others chasing bags about when I arrived. We didn't have much rain today but most of it fell (sideways) while I was out with Robbie. He really doesn't care what the weather is but I didn't have my most water resistant jacket on. I was fairly impressed that the one I had kept the water out quite well.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I braved Tesco's at Pitsea this afternoon. Why do people try to push supermarket trolleys in ways other than intended, at Tesco's today there was a numpty pushing a trolley in the car park sideways, until the trolley came into contact with a kerb, fell over and distributed its contents over the car park. :mosking:

• RMweb Premium

I braved Tesco's at Pitsea this afternoon. Why do people try to push supermarket trolleys in ways other than intended, at Tesco's today there was a numpty pushing a trolley in the car park sideways, until the trolley came into contact with a kerb, fell over and distributed its contents over the car park. :mosking:

And they still allow them them to vote. :scratchhead:

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

Evening all!

A wee bit windy round 'ere, but not as bad as "oop North!".

I'm currently racking my brains, trying to think up ways to persuade a seller of an ex-chapel to think about the community rather than their pockets. Of course, as a charitable trust they have to think of money... apparently. And all this whilst negotiating with estate agents.. EUGH.

The chapel can only be used for storage or a studio, and everyone else wants it for private storage - why waste such a lovely old building like that. It's beyond me!

Still, I'm making phonecalls, writing emails, making a report, and hoping that I may win them over. Then again it's all about the money nowadays...

In other news, one of my sisters got engaged, and my parents are there now celebrating. They are the perfect couple, so I wish them all the best!!

Edited by SouthernRegionSteam
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

I'm pleased to hear that you've enjoyed your first week and I'm sure it will continue well; acknowledging support from helpful colleagues will pay dividends and may well be unfamiliar to them .

Very much so, although the school do see it as me getting experience as a spring board to greater things in education. They said they wouldn't have interviewed me if I was planning on settling in for 10 years! 

As for acknowledging and thanking colleagues - they'll just have to get used to it. Actually the school is very good at that already, but it never hurts to say it. It seemed to work well in every other organisation I've worked with. 

I wonder when the last time the cooking team had a cuppa spontaneously made for them? Next Monday, methinks :) 

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

ps - in case anybody's interested, here's the other side of the truck as well - it is really well made, and I did wonder whether it started life as a display model in a Pickfords office somewhere, as a lot of the signwriting appears to be transfers and the colour seems very accurate indeed.

You will be doing them yourself soon Stewart , Here is something to aim for .

http://www.wimp.com/grandfathershobby/

Edited by Sidecar Racer
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Probably one of the comedy trolleys that won't go in a straight line. I only ever use the small trolleys at Tesco Pitsea.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

as we are without herberts decided to go for a curry for tea.... very nice!

Sheesh kebab followed by Karahi Chicken and a Tandoori Roti for me... her indoors had Chicken boti and then Chicken Nepal and a Roti... no fighting irons were necessary and it was reet grand!

wind seems to be abating .. so stay safe tonight everyone!

Baz

• Like 14

Whilst the subject is supermarket trolleys and their steering or lack of it, the Morrison's store at Beverley (East Yorks) has a design fault. That is the footpath to one side of the main entrance/exit has a slope in it. So much so that trolleys insist on going straight on when they know you want to turn left as you emerge ! I solved the problem by moving to the left side of my trolley and holding on there thus allowing it to swing out as I walk alongside it. It usually gets me strange looks by those disappearing towards Beverley town centre but I have become used to that over the years.  :beee:

• Like 6

And they still allow them them to vote. :scratchhead:

Jamie

Those trolleys work hard for a living and contribute a great deal to the eceonomy. Why shouldn't they be allowed to vote? :jester:

Football Special and I had a very enjoyable trip to Bournemouth(ish) today where we saw Norwich beat the home team. It was slightly marred by various train problems which ended up costing us £25 in taxis :ireful:  Mind you I think we got off light compared to a lot of folk.

• RMweb Gold

Those trolleys work hard for a living and contribute a great deal to the eceonomy. Why shouldn't they be allowed to vote? :jester:

They must cause problems for psephologists with all the random veering to left and right.
  • Like 1

Gets on my wossnames.

I tend to shop when the old people hit Sainsbury's. There are always loads of retired couples where she is directing operations and he is trying to pretend he is really cool with this. But like a teenager out with his mum there has to be a sign of rebellion.

Often that ends up with a gentleman of a certain age pushing his trolley with his elbows, body stooped in a simian crouch. Of course, he has sod all control, is slow, erratic and most of all IN MY WAY!

Or old geezers who are pretending that they don't understand shopping, or the need not to park your trolley so that it completely blocks the aisle. IN MY WAY!

Or stopping to have a chat with some other old geezers IN MY WAY!

Gets on my nerves.

Don't ask about people who get all the way to the point of having their bags loaded before they even think about wondering where their purse is. Or who remember at the last moment that they have 64 coupons, 63 of which are out of date but they can't work that out for themselves they have to give them to the checkout operator to go through...

WHILST I AM WAITING!

Did I mention it gets on my nerves?

• RMweb Premium

Gets on my wossnames.

I tend to shop when the old people hit Sainsbury's. There are always loads of retired couples where she is directing operations and he is trying to pretend he is really cool with this. But like a teenager out with his mum there has to be a sign of rebellion.

Often that ends up with a gentleman of a certain age pushing his trolley with his elbows, body stooped in a simian crouch. Of course, he has sod all control, is slow, erratic and most of all IN MY WAY!

Or old geezers who are pretending that they don't understand shopping, or the need not to park your trolley so that it completely blocks the aisle. IN MY WAY!

Or stopping to have a chat with some other old geezers IN MY WAY!

Gets on my nerves.

Don't ask about people who get all the way to the point of having their bags loaded before they even think about wondering where their purse is. Or who remember at the last moment that they have 64 coupons, 63 of which are out of date but they can't work that out for themselves they have to give them to the checkout operator to go through...

WHILST I AM WAITING!

Did I mention it gets on my nerves?

You didn't mention the trolley jam around the 'reduced to clear' shelves. :jester:

Evening all,

Survived the overnight stay and most of the day with Freddie and Amalie, the great grandchildren and their parents (Who incidentally rolled in at 2am this morning from the grandsons birthday celebration which he had with fifteen friends!). Plus side was that Joanna declared that breakfast was to be sourced from local food stall 'Hey Diddle Griddle', just as she had on New Years Day so double bacon in French was just right at around 10.30am!

Hope those in the North and Western regions have avoided the worst ravages of the weather - sounds particularly bad in the Northernmost reaches of my homeland.

Don't know how many ERs are in to astronomy but I'm getting really frustrated at the way I'm unable to spot the comet 'Lovejoy' which should be visible to the naked eye, just to the right and slightly above the centre of Orion, as a green object with tail. It's been cloudy or hazy with light pollution since it came close enough around the fifth of this month, and should still be visible although slightly higher each day, until the twenty-ninth. Try not to miss it as it won't be back for another eight thousand years!

Andy, I'm delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your first week and fully endorse your attitude to praise where it is due - a philosophy I always applied as 'boss' of a couple of fairly large dealerships, and almost always to my advantage. Very well done and I look forward to your next bulletin.

Hope the lucky b*ggars (choose your own vowel!) going to shows this weekend thoroughly enjoy themselves and get lots of inspiration - perhaps some pictures would be nice and I'm sure that Debs won't mind for the sake of those of us who are unable to go!

Have a good Sunday all,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 9

G'night Pete!

Thought of you tonight as we watched the 'Dire Straits' world tour from '92 - I'd quite forgotten what an accomplished guitarist Mark Knopfler was! Chris White on Sax, Flute etc. was also pretty impressive.

Hope the bug you've had is now completely gone mate!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Just having a final beer here at a wintry Chicago O'hare before boarding our flight back to Heathrow whilst watching the planes getting de-iced.

Had a great chat with a woman who lives near Newark airport on her way back from staying with her relatives so have a list of other things to see next time we are in San Diego. Missing the place already!!

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

That's definitely one way to grab my attention - mentioning Mark Knopfler!

Been listening to his live performances with Emmylou Harris all night. Can't get enough of his music, and have his latest album in my car permanently.

Anyone who knows me will tell you I rarely listen to anything else. He is the reason I got started in music, for sure. :D

• Like 8