The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening All

Wow - what a lot to read.  Too much to comment on individual posts (again) but commiserations to Geoff on another domestic mishap.  We've had two nasties with frozen screws whilst here, one was the cooker element (surprise) and the other was the boiler where the screws holding the fan in place were solid.  In both cases, it becames somebody else's problem, as both appliances are covered by insurance - so it was just a case of watching the engineers struggle for a solution, and asking from time to time "would you like a cofffee?".

Absolutely fuming with myself this morning, as we went to Skipton, and I had to pop into that well known emporium of goodies known as Morrisons, as we needed a few items that I forgot yesterday.  I emerged, carrier bag in hand, for 30747 to ask "did you see it?", "What?" said I, "The steam train" came the reply.  Needless to say I didn't, and I missed the first steam movement of the year, when 60009 was heading from York to Crewe by a circuitous route.  Seems that 60009, Yorkshire, and I have some sort of jinx, as I've managed to miss it several times now when it is moving around!  Seems that it gained a bit of attention in the car park, and a lady turned to 30747 and said that her husband would be furious as he was in the shop in the gents.  Well, that was two nonplussed enthusiasts, then.

Weather today has been pretty horrible here - though it was not so bad in Skipton and Ilkley, and the pork pie in Skipton almost made up for the missed event.

I'm just looking for a gap in the weather to take Lily out for one short amble, so

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Good evening, another day of IT hell at work - still not right, glad it's not me trying to sort it all out but I think it has stressed John a bit today, but it's almost there now I think. Just as well he's a nice even tempered bloke.

Weather here today was wild, high tide with storm surge caused a lot of 'topping' of quaysides and coast roads.  The wind at lunchtime was really quite unpleasant.

Finally managed to break into the Heljan Class 33 last night and get a decoder in there that it likes, the first one I tried in it just wouldn't talk to anything to programme it but the loco ran fine on 03 - but I couldn't change the address!  A Bachmann 553 did the job, which was awful in a Hornby King Arfer, but works superbly in the 33!  What a lovely model, nice detail and superb running, really impressed with it's performance, right up there with my US diesels.  Only duff bit is the BR crest, which is dull and poor looking.  Easily changed.

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Evening all.

Getting to grips with the new job - as a colleague pointed out "They threw the kitchen sink in" on my job description. :)

All in all quite fascinating.

A friend once had a part time post. Her employer was keen to keep her but ring fencing agreements made this difficult except in special circumstances. The headteacher created a job description that he was convinced only my friend could do and was quite surprised to receive an application. However it was explained to him that an application from Clark Kent may not have been totally serious. Edited by Tony_S

Evening all. I hope today finds you well. Things are blowing a gale outside and the rain is pounding down. Pretty dry indoors though as tonight is the first night off the booze in quite sometime. I am starting to pay for the Christmas excess. The body still aches from the first game of football in a month back on Sunday. Actually that could be old age as I have now entered the calendar year in which I hit the big 4 - 0. Tomorrow is Sarah's birthday, she "only" hits 34 and she thinks she is getting old!

Hope all is well.

• RMweb Gold

I am ensconced in the spare room tonight.

I think I have the H1P0 virus which is ten times worse than man 'flu and almost as bad as a ladies sniffe.

I have dosed up on some capsule type drugs and more importantly, and sensibly, a very large glass of Bushmills.

Tactically this is a sound move as it will ensure I do not have to get out of bed at 7.00 am on dog duties. (The move to spare room, not the Bushmills).

I seem to be acquiring more N Gauge locos to repair from club members.

My claim that I fix them with a lump hammer has been universally ignored!

• RMweb Gold

A California Sunset after leaving Carpinteria and a great afternoon chatting with the locals, one of them from Pismo Beach a 100 miles or so away to the north but he's retired and camping here. An ex Vietnam veteran.

Had a good chat about the world politics etc and just drank beer in this great Brewpub right next to the Amtrak stop.

Now with friendly drunk or bloke on a high behind us!!

post-1557-0-25132800-1420678535_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

With a bit of cropping to the foreground and the sky I think Roundhouses photos is improved.  Hopefully he won't mind.  Cropping the crane and bank would have changed the photo too much.

I took that one on the iPad but took a better one on the DSLR similar to your cropped photo. So glad you picked up on the better composition.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning, Grey and damp with heavy rain and windy conditions forecast.

Haircut this morning then some computer stuff and maybe a session in the shed we will see.

Hope you enjoy your day folks

Alan

Haircut.....wot's that??!!!!!

Mike

Good morning all,  was it only a week ago that I was still on the shores of the Pacific?   Seems like forever ago!  

Still tomorrows Friday...........

what ever your day brings lets hope there are no disasters ?  

Stay dry & warm. 

Trev.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Morning. Dark outside but the dampness of the dog after his exploration of the garden suggests much rain overnight.

I am probably going to London to help Matthew with his luggage. We will go on the train as thetey isn't anywhere to park near where he lives.

Morning all.

Dark and dry at the moment and hoping that my travel arrangements go as well as yesterday. I feel sorry for the people going into LBG. This is the latest from Southern.

London Bridge

Network Rail and Southern apologise to you for the unacceptable disruption and delays at London Bridge this week resulting in severe overcrowding on the concourse. This is not the level of service that you deserve, expect or that we want to deliver.

Over the festive break Network Rail undertook 16 days of work rebuilding two new platforms, removing and replacing 3km of track and installing new signalling into London Bridge. This work was completed on time.

However, the new timetable has proved challenging to manage so we have reviewed this and made some immediate changes to a small number of evening peak services which will reduce the pressure on the infrastructure and help us to deliver an improved service.

The following services from London Bridge will not run this evening, or for the remainder of this week:

16.36 London Bridge to West Croydon

17.06 London Bridge to West Croydon

17.38 London Bridge to West Croydon

18.06 London Bridge to West Croydon

18.36 London Bridge to West Croydon

We apologise, this was not an easy decision but we needed to act quickly and passengers using the above services do have reasonable alternatives.

Passengers requiring Anerley and Penge West should take a Southern service to New Cross Gate and change for London Overground services.

Alternatively, tickets will be accepted on London Underground between London Bridge and Canada Water for a change to London Overground services.

We will monitor the service for the remainder of this week and assess if any longer term changes are required.

As a result of the above changes, three services into London Bridge are also withdrawn:

17.12 West Croydon to London Bridge

17:42 West Croydon to London Bridge

18.13 West Croydon to London Bridge

We have reviewed with Network Rail, the operation of the station concourse, placed more staff at London Bridge, and implemented additional crowd control measures to separate passengers entering and exiting trains. By the end of the week, we will have additional passenger information screens, so the concourse is used more evenly.

Morning All,

It is chucking it down here this morning, with a temperature of around 3°C.  It would probably be icy, but for the fact that they seem to have put down a huge amount of salt.

Sorry to hear about Tiffany, but at least it's a nice way to go.  I know very little about Hamsters, but researching on the Internet suggests that Tiffany lived to quite a good age, Hamster wise.

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Good Morning ERs!!!!

Eldest Herbert en route to London by ECML for a conference, her indoors off to schools, I am wide awake and...youngest Herbert snoring gently!

Have a great PPOETS day everyone!

Baz

Who seems far too happy at the moment..

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a still dark village north of ikea.   Woke up at stupid o'clock but have now fed the cats and had my breakfast.  Looking forward to a good day out on Cross Country Trains.  We're off to Leamington Spa and Banbury to try and see some 68's and 70's and will put the world to rights at the same time.

Jamie

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

having a break in the power station canteen, just offloaded 2000 ton of coal so you lot can make your early morning brews!

had a good few hours sleep on the floor of the loco while i waited time so feel surprisingly refreshed this morning

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Raining steadily at the moment and a very mild 10oC. Should be a bright and breezy day with the occasional shower.

Bit of domestic stuff to do this morning then off to collect Chris from work and "assist" with shopping. As usual this means ensuring that sufficient stocks of the correct type of liquid refreshment are purchased. This could  will almost certainly result in a disagreement an earnest discussion in the BWS dept.  :rolleyes: 

Have good one,

Bob.

• Like 2