The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Back to work again (I was working New Years eve too) - normality has almost returned although the internal clock is confused, thinking today is Monday for some reason. After all the fuss on the run-in Christmas and New Year seem to go quicker every year.

A bright morning thus far, about to feed the birds who are complaining at todays slow service.

Good Luck on the search for Kenton Gordon.

Have a good day all.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

It seems to be colder again today compared with yesterday's mildness. The morning walk in Selworthy Woods was beautiful but the afternoon was a washout.

A phone all from my sister a friend of here needed to dispose of his collection of trains and diecast vehicles can I advise. I suspect the best prices would be achieved through ebay or RMweb but you need to know whats what in describing the items.

Don

Thanks Dave.  I'm not sure what to expect.  I have met Kenton before at a show and we had a chat about railways, homes, jobs etc but that was a few years back.  The thing is I respect any guys right to privacy and he may have just decided he'd had enough of us, so moved on.  My personal theory is that his job has taken him away again and he will return again in due course, but these days it suddenly becomes far more public when someone disappears without any apparent reason.  

I hope he will be flattered to find out so may of us cared for him, particularly when he could start an argument in an empty room…. :lol:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Nice bright day with sunshine promised for a few hours and seemingly currently arriving - definite improvement on yesterday.  Swiss rail atlas duly opened today, plus another book on WWI railways from the Good Doctor and this evening will be spent watching a Ray Cooney farce at The Mill At Sonning (after their dinner) so all-in-all quite a pleasant way of getting a year older.  And the Maidenhead show tomorrow - small but usually not bad and nice bacon rolls.

Have a good day one and all and hoping Gordon has a successful trip in his search for Kenton.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

I did think about going down the train asking if anyone's seen Kenton but I may give the impression that us English are all a bit nuts!!!

It's still early morning here just west of McCook with snow on the ground and clear skies do I bet it's pretty cold out there.

Still a few hours before we arrive into Denver for a two night stop over.

Just hope it wasn't too windy back at home as we tend to lose a few roof tiles when it's very bad.

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Premium

Morning, and it's a cold but dry one with a strong wind, but sounds as if hail is on it's way from John.

Still battling with SPROG and decoders here, some really are naughty.  Identical decoders (allegedly) are suggested to be different according to decoder pro.  One refuses to talk to anything now, despite not having been programmed!  Another's odd behaviour turned out to be a value of 0 in CV1 - never come across that before, but it works now under it's long address with 3 entered. (Edit - in CV1!)

Taking Jayne and Mrs H out for lunch soon so that will fill a few hours, it's an odd sort of day with a feeling of anti-climax around, no-one can be bothered to do anything it would seem.

Edited by New Haven Neil

Morning all,

Tidying up late Mil and FiL's grave on the agenda today (I've just been informed). We shall probably collect little Freddie and take him and Archie the Westie for a walk around the old graveyard on the other side of the road as it has the railway track running the length of one boundary and he is currently into 'trains'. Not in the least influenced by 'Grumps' as I'm known!

Happy birthday Mike and many more of them, you kept that quiet!

Good luck with the quest for Kenton, Gordon. I'm sure he will be flattered to know that he is missed.

Have a good Friday folks,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

On a lovely sunny morning of a new year I have just been knocked for six by finding this image on the BBC web site today:

_79986331_koelblbergengetty624.jpg

My father was in the first party to enter the site. The departing guards had sabotaged the water supply, and the first job was to get a new water supply into the camp. They raided the local fire station to get enough hoses. Some of the poor inmates were so thirsty they were stabbing holes in the hoses to get a drink. My father had to pull them away to avoid wasting water and get the tanks refilled for everyone. He said it was one of the hardest things he ever had to do in his life. I'd rather not add some of the other things he told me.

Martin.

edit: link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-30573936

Edited by martin_wynne

• RMweb Premium

Happy birthday, Mike! Have a particularly great day!

Food purchase for dinner duly accomplished and on my way home. There, it'll be putting bin bags out, and a look at the textbook for the 8th graders I'll begin working with on the 13th. My colleague kindly emailed me a bunch of materials I can use, which should make things a lot easier. I'll only have to stop myself from trying to reinvent the wheel, which is a trap I've fallen into far too often...

I am delighted to report that it is now a beautiful day here. With luck, Neil, it's on its way to you. Large pot of vegetable soup on the range, using up all those old vegetables (and some not so old!). Should be some left for BiL and wife when they arrive from Cambridge tomorrow lunchtime. It really is a flying visit as they are going back on Sunday. What did we do before Ryanair came on the scene? Steph's just gone out for a 'girlie' lunch so, after a bite to eat, I think it will be back to the slating. Possibly, along with ballasting, one of the more tedious aspects of modelling!

Hope the sun shines on you as well.

• Like 9

Morning all - back to work for me also today. Will be "relatively painless" as I was done as of 12/31 with the client who took most of my time, and most everyone, other clients and co-workers seem to be off anyway! I get to clock time as "administrative" and think I'll do some modeling and RMWeb surfing :)

Had a quiet New Years Day, some modeling - frustrating as I discover what appears to be a well know fact that Hornby close-coupled Pullmans hate being in rakes more than 4. Seems the close coupling mechanism on those things is pretty much a disaster <sigh>. I really hate wasting so much time on some aspect of modeling that has little chance of success without some major work/modifications, oh well, they are pretty! :senile:

With Jemma home and Trevor over for the afternoon and evening, we had a pleasant dinner and visit together.

Interestingly, 2015 seems to be starting out very poorly as far as newspaper delivery is concerned.

Generally not an issue, BUT, so far no paper two days in a row. :O  :butcher:  :triniti:

Been on the blower - automated so couldn't actually SHOUT at someone - and it'll be re-delivered at some point, but I DO like reading the paper with my cup of tea first thing...

-13 right now and cloudy with the prospect of a -4 high. May go shopping for more Kadees if I feel like going out - that's "administrative" in my book :)

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 4

On a lovely sunny morning of a new year I have just been knocked for six by finding this image on the BBC web site today:

_79986331_koelblbergengetty624.jpg

My father was in the first party to enter the site. The departing guards had sabotaged the water supply, and the first job was to get a new water supply into the camp. They raided the local fire station to get enough hoses. Some of the poor inmates were so thirsty they were stabbing holes in the hoses to get a drink. My father had to pull them away to avoid wasting water and get the tanks refilled for everyone. He said it was one of the hardest things he ever had to do in his life. I'd rather not add some of the other things he told me.

Martin.

edit: link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-30573936

Thanks for the stark reminder Martin, Joanna and I visited Auschwitz some years back and the experience had a profound effect on us - goodness knows how it affected your father and his comrades. I suspect many still had nightmares years later! So many poor Devils that had no more Christmases or New Years.

It is important to keep these memories alive.

Kind regards,

Jock.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the stark reminder Martin, Joanna and I visited Auschwitz some years back and the experience had a profound effect on us - goodness knows how it affected your father and his comrades. I suspect many still had nightmares years later! So many poor Devils that had no more Christmases or New Years.

It is important to keep these memories alive.

Kind regards,

Jock.

Our long-time history teacher himself had relatives who were murdered at Auschwitz. He once told us how when he visited the site with one of his classes, many, many years after the war, he was devastated when he found some of their personal belongings on display at the museum. I can only guess at how terrible it must be to be reminded of your own ancestors having been victims like that...