The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Ceramic taps can fail due to the 'hard water' tiny deposits of the salts can get between the plates and prevent them from sealing. Spares have to be the right ones I have had problems with ones that appear to fit but wont work in the tap.

Don

So I understand Don but if there are any deposits on them they seem to be remarkably smooth as the two plates slide together very nicely.  What does seem to happen is that when they are in the closed position there are still small gaps round the edge of one plate which almost leaves me wondering if it has somehow eroded.  Fortunately Silverline are normally extremely helpful when contacted and spare parts are readily available (and not always charged for) so we'll have to wait and see what they have to say on Monday.

Just a nuisance thah we are paying for the stuff which is dripping although we are catching some of it for the kettle - the problem comes when the kettle is full.

No idea - but I can recall both tunes.

I have a liking for both classical music and light orchestral music so the answers are;

Housewives Choice - "In Party Mood" by Jack Strachey

Music While You Work - "Calling all Workers March" by Eric Coates

Picking up on Bill Bishops' search for an amplifier we are lucky in Cardiff to have a good hi-fi shop and in addition a branch of Richer Sounds. The latter may be useful for you Bill if there is one nearby.

Incidentally I am currently listening to music on my Castle Speakers via Quad amplification - 17 years old. However the music is being streamed from ITunes on my laptop via an external high quality D to A converter.

May I wish all ERs and their families a happy and prosperous 2015,

Dave

p.s. another Theme Music question? - Peter Yorke wrote "Silks & Satins" - which early ITV series did it introduce?

Edited by Danemouth
  • Like 1

Emergency Ward 10

Best, Pete.

Correct! Give that man a coconut!

And another three?

"March from a Little Suite" by Trevor Duncan introduced which BBC TV series?

and two Radio series:

"Barwick Green" by Arthur Wood

"Jumping Bean" by Robert Farnon

Regards,

Dave

OK, on TV music - what and who connects Monitor, Huw Wheldon and Marcia?

(Only 'cos I played it at school in the orchestra)

The TV series Monitor introduced by Huw Weldon had the Marcia by Wiren as its theme

Dave

Edited by Danemouth

• RMweb Gold

Sounds like the first (and second  and etc) salvo of tonight's barrage has just been fired. I thought the idea was to set the bl##dy things off at midnight to welcome the New Year! Silly me.

Glad I haven't got any pets.

• RMweb Premium

evening.  Stock taking, er, taken.  We have....a lot still.  :sungum:   trouble is, I keep seeing things I need to buy  myself!

Longest living car here was a '84 Astra 1.6 diesel estate, I sold it in Geordieland at 245,000 miles, it was spotted on the M25 two years later, still going.  The gearbox was so worn it was completely without any feeling whatsoever but still worked fine and didn't jump out of gear.

HiFi, Bill - I'm old school - Thorens deck, Arcam CD , Musical Fidelity Amp & tuner,  AE speakers.  Bought back when I had money!  Whereas......

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 8

Sounds like the first (and second  and etc) salvo of tonight's barrage has just been fired. I thought the idea was to set the bl##dy things off at midnight to welcome the New Year! Silly me.

Glad I haven't got any pets.

I think I'm hearing the same barrage...

• Like 4

evening.  Stock taking, er, taken.  We have....a lot still.  :sungum:   trouble is, I keep seeing things I need to buy  myself!

Longest living car here was a '84 Astra 1.6 diesel estate, I sold it in Geordieland at 245,000 miles, it was spotted on the M25 two years later, still going.  The gearbox was so worn it was completely without any feeling whatsoever but still worked fine and didn't jump out of gear.

HiFi, Bill - I'm old school - Thorens deck, Arcam CD , Musical Fidelity Amp & tuner,  AE speakers.  Bought back when I had money!  Whereas......

Oooo...errrr..."stock", didn't manage to find a Hornby Exeter hiding in the back room did you?!?! :jester:  :O  :jester:

Coat, hat...off I go ;)

• Like 5

Wot! No Pioneer? I had a shipmate who whined on day after day about his system and Pioneer.

• RMweb Premium

Wot! No Pioneer? I had a shipmate who whined on day after day about his system and Pioneer.

Nope - never been that impressed with any of their stuff, sounds.....Japanese.  I have a Kenwood AV amp in the lounge though, oldie but goodie.  Loud but not subtle.  The MF amp is in a different world, detailed, great soundstage......but not anything like as powerful.  The Kenwood is for movies with lots of boom and bang!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

So I understand Don but if there are any deposits on them they seem to be remarkably smooth as the two plates slide together very nicely.  What does seem to happen is that when they are in the closed position there are still small gaps round the edge of one plate which almost leaves me wondering if it has somehow eroded.  Fortunately Silverline are normally extremely helpful when contacted and spare parts are readily available (and not always charged for) so we'll have to wait and see what they have to say on Monday.

Just a nuisance thah we are paying for the stuff which is dripping although we are catching some of it for the kettle - the problem comes when the kettle is full.

It could be a fvery fine layer of limescale which is not present in the gaps.

Another problem I encountered was a house in the Forest of Dean  that was about 300ft below the main road. During the day it was alright but overnight when the various houses stopped drawing off any water the pressure rose. When it reached a really high level it forced the plates apart, once the water was getting through it continued. The solution was to fit a pressure reducing valve. 

Don

Evening all I hope you have an enjoyable evening whether you are partying or having a quiet night at home. In our case it is the latter. We don't make a big fuss over New Year's Eve - so it is a night in front of the television in pj's for us. Mind you we are drinking bubbly - choosing to open the bottle of Bollinger someone gave us a year or two ago. We feel we should celebrate a little for surviving 2014 which has been some what hectic. Two house moves, the damp problem in the bungalow an unsuccessful headship application and work which has snowballed. Sarah and I have joked we would quite like a "boring" year in 2015 but I somehow doubt that will be possible.

Today I have continued the DIY, completing Amber's new bed and sorting out the bedroom - leaving just one piece of furniture still to do. I hope to get that done tomorrow. We have continued to enjoy our time playing trains with all the different types of train that cover our living room right now.

Anyway have a great evening.

Happy New Year

Correct! Give that man a coconut!

And another three?

"March from a Little Suite" by Trevor Duncan introduced which BBC TV series?

and two Radio series:

"Barwick Green" by Arthur Wood

"Jumping Bean" by Robert Farnon

Regards,

Dave

Eh, Janet........... Dr. Finlays Casebook.

ooh, Ar! ...............The Archers

Last one harder “Melody Hour” -please don’t say it was “Top of the Form”.......

Best, Pete.

Evening ERs,

Things moving well on the babysitting front and two 'dead men' by the back door(empty Champagne bottles to the uninitiated!) already. It's OK, the babies sleep through the night and their parents will be back soon after 12 and in any case are on a landline a mile away! Joanna has of course been fairly abstemious so I've had to make up for that - sleep shouldn't be a problem tonight!

I think Dave, John, Pete and others have been very brave to admit their knowledge of such theme tunes, especially considering their vintage (the tunes that is!).

World War Three sounds like it has broken out here although Archie the Westie has not yet reacted too badly - he normally perceives it as an attack on his territory! I can understand a midnight display but find it hard to believe they've been going off sporadically since 7pm - driven by the supermarkets I suspect.

For anyone who missed my earlier post, I hope 2015 brings you all you deserve! Speak to you all next year,

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night Pete! (And anyone else who admits to knowing that reference.

PS Still using a steam driven Sony stack that has served me well for many years and I still use the multi-disc shuffling drum that plays all the tracks through as handy background music to a dinner party!

Edited by Jock67B
  • Like 12