The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Relaxing after visiting Gaugemaster in the pub close to my other halfs parents while they sort out Xmas lunch number 2.

Stocked up with various paints ballast and just one N scale loco, the Gaugemaster limited Dapol DBS class 66. Not that I need any more locos for Banbury but hey, it's Christmas time!!!

Decoder fitting this evening when we get home but in the meantime........

post-1557-0-05209600-1419598661_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

That beer does look good (even at 8:00 am) and my favorite style pint glass.

I always remember drinking with my late Father - we liked the same kind of beer but he had to have his in a “jug” and mine was a “straight” glass....

Best, Pete.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

That beer does look good (even at 8:00 am) and my favorite style pint glass.

I always remember drinking with my late Father - we liked the same kind of beer but he had to have his in a “jug” and mine was a “straight” glass....

Best, Pete.

Jugs (glass, before anyone starts) are becoming popular again with the young bearded craft beer lovers, as now quite often when you walk into a hip bar serving craft beer you often get asked if you want a jug or a straight glass.. I am straight!!!

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I thought the cool youngsters drank from the bottle.

Ed

Things are changing. We were in a micro brewery last week under Peckhsm Rye station. All the blokes including the brewer had a beard apart from me. I was Aldo just about the oldest person in there. Had to send my other half up to the bar incase they wouldn't serve me!!!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

So...

While I was doing my last post, something had been going on in the dining room...

The Class 153 had been taken out of its box....

post-14049-0-08297500-1419599446.jpg

and sent out on road....

post-14049-0-80797100-1419599466.jpg

The lights work, then?  :yes:

Note the light streaks with the long exposure.

Excuse the old table mats - bought in a mad moment of in country moooo-d.  They come out of the closet to take the hot dishes from the oven.  The sticker on the back of the best ones say not to do that so they get relegated to taking plates, glasses, mugs n things.

And before I go...it's raining.

Llanberis

http://www.fhc.co.uk/weather/images/em_huge.jpg

Top of Snowdon

http://www.fhc.co.uk/weather/images/sn_huge.jpg

• Like 12

The Teignmouth sea walk-in was packed solid by onlookers and there were a fair few going in. Found my cousin and his family on the beach. Just! There were 5 of them and Rob stayed in the water waist deep chatting with some long lost friends for a few minutes. It was pretty cold standing in the rain, so I understood how they felt. Hot drinks afterwards and a catch up was good.

6 coaches were parked up to bring people to watch/participate. Quite impressive!

A few shops open today, but not many people about in the town.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Cricket watched (one guy scored 98 out of the 120 total scored).. her indoors had a cup of mulled wine, I had a cup of tea.... lucky we turned up late .. someone else was "volunteered" to umpire at the last minute.....

Stand pie for lunch .. and now some railway modelling to get on with!

baz

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

So...

While I was doing my last post, something had been going on in the dining room...

The Class 153 had been taken out of its box....

attachicon.gifIMG_4752 Class 153 out of the box.JPG

and sent out on road....

attachicon.gifIMG_4753 Class 153 on the move.JPG

The lights work, then?  :yes:

Note the light streaks with the long exposure.

Polly

those 153s get everywhere .. the ones in Barrow on the coast route to Carlisle branded for The Peoples republic of South Yorkshire.. having arrived at Barrow from barnsley via teh S&C then the coast route.. so yours is on extended routing(!)

Baz

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Popped out this morning for the paper, dry but cold. Weather forecast this morning showed the anticyclone moving along the English Channel and dropping a considerable amount of snow falling in the Ardennes then swinging back across the North Sea and dumping it on the East Anglian coast. We might escape it here in Estuary-Land but watch out further north.

Afternoon all, hope Santa brought you something you wanted. Our Christmas dinner went well and nobody seemed to notice that the "turkey" was a capon, they have more flavour in my opinion. So after early rises for the past month what with work, the drive, and getting ready for yesterday's dinner, we thought we could have a lie in today. So when the phone rang early on I was in the mood for blasting the PPI lawyer; to be greeted with, "Hi dad, Merry Christmas". Our son phoning from New Zealand! Great talking to them again and hearing about their Christmas bbq in their garden overlooking the bay opposite Port Chalmers. The temperature there was 28 degrees, which is 82 fahrenheit, and it is in their six week school holidays now. It takes a bit of getting used to, and they are thirteen hours in front of us now but when the clocks go forward here and back there they are eleven hours in front. They just made our day though.

Have a great day all and stay healthy.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

It's still taking a long time to catch up here, and to do justice to what our felleow ERs have to say. 

Still not seeing a lot of the white stuff here, though the wind has veered Easterly and is now a lazy wind - doesn't bother to go round you, just goes right through you.  So woodburner lit early, and a scrummy dinner of best leftovers - Christmas pudding sandwiches anyone?  30747 settled down to watch last night's Downton Abbey (Lady Somebody has just departed by train from Downton Horsted  Keynes to York, and lo and behold, the pre-grouping allegedly NE stock was rolling past a load of post nationalisation BR (S) green signage on the platform!

Not a great deal more to report, so will shoot off to stoke the fire, and hope to pop back later.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

FiL has decided he wants a new telly, so we're off to the electronics shops tomorrow and my task will be setting it up afterwards. He is also looking for a new TV armchair and I suggested we might also improve the loudspeaker arrangement for his TV. I do like tinkering with hardware, so I don't mind this kind of work!

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Evening, it is now persisting down, but still not very windy.

Anyone any idea how to embed You Tube links?  Here's the Steamplex video I promised!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ1fjROGdPE

The video was just taken with my compact camera, the poor sound does not really capture the voice of the Steamplex well - it actually makes you ears ring when climbing the bank - it's 1 in 33 by the way, hence the effort going in to the train going up.  It also looks rather fast in the shots - it's not in actuality, our line speed is 8 mph. 

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Dave, Which book is that? - if you don’t mind me asking - I try and pick up anything to do with former GER lines...

Cheers, Pete.

Hi Pete.

Steam Memories : 1950's and 1960's Great Eastern Lines (Law Publications) only £9.99, not overly thick and a lot of locos on shed in it, not a lot of the stations and none of signalling. I probably wouldn't have bought it (locos on sheds aren't my scene) if I'd seen it but for £10 it was worth a gamble.

• RMweb Premium

Beef curry about to be had - great minds think alike!

Chicken Korma 45156 version tomorrow - made from leftover chicken - see recipe thread for more details of this uniquely unauthentic dish

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Mine was a sort of Rendang kind of sort of thing....maybe....but it was cooked in the tagine and the beef was melting in the mouth.  Super, we do love a curry and spicy food.  we grow our own chilies, no idea what they are as we have had the plant for years - small, finger tip sized, seriously hot!

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

The Teignmouth sea walk-in was packed solid by onlookers and there were a fair few going in. Found my cousin and his family on the beach. Just! There were 5 of them and Rob stayed in the water waist deep chatting with some long lost friends for a few minutes. It was pretty cold standing in the rain, so I understood how they felt. Hot drinks afterwards and a catch up was good.

6 coaches were parked up to bring people to watch/participate. Quite impressive!

A few shops open today, but not many people about in the town.

Where's the BRAVERY button?   :jester:

Chicken Korma 45156 version tomorrow - made from leftover chicken - see recipe thread for more details of this uniquely unauthentic dish

We had cold meat and salad today but will probably have curry tomorrow. Does anyone have anyr ecipes for curried stuffing?

• RMweb Gold

Evening all

Didn't go for a dip today.

Come to think of it, have never been for a Boxing Day dip so that's not really news.

I spectated once and that was enough for me.

Sitting relaxing now with some nice cheese, a selection of biscuits and a glass (or two) of port.

The port is crusted not vintage but still very nice.

• Like 9