The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Well, would you believe there were folk still ordering train sets this morning.....when do they expect them to be delivered??????  It's a funny old world.

Escaped at 1pm, post had gone (it won't leave the postal hub until Monday!) so that was us for the holiday.  Nice to speak to so many happy folk.

We're taking Jayne out for a meal this evening (traditional, er, curry!) to save her sitting on the house on her own.  She has asked we not go tomorrow and leave her to her thoughts without Gary for the first time at Christmas.  This is ripping us apart of course but we must allow her space.

• RMweb Premium

Early Riser this morning to beat the crowds - er - What crowds?

I'd normally send Ray out on his own while I have another hour in bed.

Decided I ought to try this early Christmas Eve jaunt shop before I get tooooo  old and past it the novelty wears off.  :jester:

First stop T'co's for the turkey then off to the butcher's in town for a freshly cut piece of pork.  

Forget that idea for next year.  Not what I call fresh.  :nono:  It was vacuumed packed, out of a plastic bag rather than off a sizeable half pig just brought in from the van outside the shop.  Times they are a-changing 'av changed - even in the family butchers.

Might as well have picked one up in T'co's.  It'd better be good but we have got 3 joints out of it, 2 now in the freezer for 2015. :yes:

Then off to A'da's for other couldn't find its but ended up with more substitutes.

Still, the Belgian hot chocolate in N'ros was good while we waited for 9am opening to get my favourite bread flour from the elf food shop - seems our big stores have stopped selling it.

Lesson learn't.

It was OK but, next year, I may go back to having that extra hour in bed!  :D

Later...

I was in the middle of putting the marzipan on the cake when 2 parcels arrived which I didn't expect till after Christmas - what a bonus!

Well done suppliers and delivery services.

GROAN?

Who's groaning?

Not me! :laugh:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Did I mention the dining table?

It's where you left it after last year John , I remember you finding it then .

A quick written check in from me today , but I've been watching you all so I kknow

who's been good and bad , no names , no pack drill eh Bob .    :no:

I'd  just like to wish you all a happy Christmas and hope you have a good time .

post-6765-0-15798200-1419436241.gif

• Like 8

Well, would you believe there were folk still ordering train sets this morning.....when do they expect them to be delivered??????  It's a funny old world.

Wot, you mean Santa won't bring it for little kiddie by tomorrow morning?!?!?!?!  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

Where's your Christmas spirit... um, in my glass where it SHOULD be!! <rim-shot>

Santa hat, big red coat, reindeer... on dasher...

• RMweb Premium

Wot, you mean Santa won't bring it for little kiddie by tomorrow morning?!?!?!?!  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

Where's your Christmas spirit... um, in my glass where it SHOULD be!! <rim-shot>

Santa hat, big red coat, reindeer... on dasher...

One hand delivered on my way home as it was on-island.  The rest....well the ferry doesn't run on Christmas Day and it's 32 miles to swim.....

I'll have Port rather than spirit please Ian!  I'm off to play with my Jenny Agutter set :sungum:

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Later...

I was in the middle of putting the marzipan on the cake when 2 parcels arrived which I didn't expect till after Christmas - what a bonus!

Well done suppliers and delivery services.

Neil, I think the answer is: "She didn't", but was very appreciative of your efforts.  :jester:

• Like 7

Merry Christmas Eve...

We finished some food shopping yesterday evening, after the mince pies were successfully baked, and the local supermarket

was blissfully quiet. Same as for you folks over there (which surprises me, as I thought Boxing Day was STILL pretty

shuttered), the frenzy here is because all the supermarkets close around 4PM today, and won't be open until..wait for

it..6AM Dec. 26th.!! Horrors, how WILL folks survive, I mean that's almost 40 hours without the ability to SHOP!!! :O

Yesterday provided some <amusement>  :jester:  in that the comedy team contractors doing the remodel next door managed to

get a delivery of foundation blocks by a total moron from the local DIY supply.

Consider following the scenario if you will and tell me if I rushed to judgment when I gave them all an earful;

1) It's been unseasonable warm and wet here for a couple of weeks now - all non-CONCRETE areas of our world are very soft

and soggy underfoot.

2) There is a SIX FOOT HIGH wooden fence down the property line between our place and the house next door, and there is

about 6ft. of space between the fence and their house beyond that. The comedians workers have been walking back and forth

in that small space now with materials and machinery to get to the rear of the house for about a week!!

3) Prat in HUGE delivery truck with attachment of fork lift arms on rear, arrives and unloads a PALLET of cement blocks

onto the forks, then proceeds to reverse UNDER THE DIRECTION OF THE COMEDIANS back into the driveway next door at an angle.

4) Then AS DIRECTED, continues onto our lawn and backs about 30ft back on the lawn with 10 ton truck and similar load!

5) Drops load ON OUR LAWN

6) Clown #1 then says, "oh sorry, I didn't realize this was your property"?!?!? What the f**u**ck**!!!!!!! (See #2 above)

6) Prat attempts to then drive out, and............ gets stuck in what rapidly changes from a nice lawn to a two foot mud hole!

7) After THREE tries with the clown pickup attached to the front of the truck trying to assist and pull, they managed to get the thing free after basically making a trench across the lawn as they over speed the thing out <sigh>

8) Clowns then say, "it's OK, we'll spread some black dirt down over it when we're done"!!

Submitted as evidence:

#1 Stuck truck + clown #1 + pallet of blocks

post-20244-0-98255900-1419438138_thumb.jpg

#2 - Stuck Truck - front view

post-20244-0-97742300-1419438141_thumb.jpg

#3 Large hole - NOTE: the post to the IMMEDIATE RIGHT of clown #1 at top of picture is the property line!

post-20244-0-53239900-1419438144_thumb.jpg

#4 Mess and skidmarks that used to be our lawn - NOTE: Everything in the shot except for about 3ft. from the edge of the driveway is in our property...

post-20244-0-82888700-1419438146_thumb.jpg

Now maybe it's just ME being a Scrooge, but I DID explain to them that "some black dirt when we're done.." wouldn't cut it, and I'd see them back in the spring to fill, level, and re-turf the mess. They DID agree, especially after they watched me shoot about a million photos as well as having videoed their attempts to free the truck! What plonkers!! Merry bloody Christmas to my front lawn!

On a MUCH brighter note - it IS Christmas - I've had a tradition since I was first working in London in the late '60s of ALWAYS doing some shopping Christmas Eve, even if I really didn't' need anything. Usually accompanied only by Jemma, as the rest of the family found it silly/pointless/nuts. So, I get a TEXT from Trevor today asking if we're still going to do the "traditional shop", I think he realizes Dad might miss going with Jemma - what a nice lad :angel:

This evening the tradition is me singing in the choir at 6PM service and everyone attends, then all who want to, family and friends, come over afterwards for a Chinese take-away - the only thing open over here on Christmas Eve.

Hope you've been good boys and girls and Santa treats you to some nice railway stuff...

Edited by Ian Abel

The dreaded Christmas shopping is now complete, beer is in the fridge cooling, and a bottle of red wine getting to room temperature - I am ready Christmas now!  SWMBO is getting stressed making a casserole for the return of No 1 son today, so I have been dispatched to check on t'internet what you do with a Persimmon, as we found a pack of three reduced to 9p in Aldi, and she couldn't resist a bargain.  About 5 pounds of vine tomatoes were also bought for 9p a pack, so homemade tomato soup will appear on Boxing day!

• Like 3

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year everybody......

Tracking Santa?

Here’s a good site to follow his progress today:

http://www.noradsanta.org

He’s NOT stealthy...

Best, Pete.

Indeed - and according to Jemma (she's flying the LAX-DFW segment that gets into DFW around 18:15) "they" have already been notified that Santa will likely be seen en-route and will alert all the kids on board to watch out the windows for sightings... :)

• Like 9

Indeed - and according to Jemma (she's flying the LAX-DFW segment that gets into DFW around 18:15) "they" have already been notified that Santa will likely be seen en-route and will alert all the kids on board to watch out the windows for sightings... :)

Ian - she needs to see http://www.entertainment-focus.com/tv-section/tv-news/santa-surprises-klm-passengers-new-advert/   - have a good one!

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Ian,

That's a  grade A muddy hollow!

The family and I are always looking for somewhere nice for our holidays.

Let us know when the thaw sets in, fill it with some water and we'll be over asap.

Luxury........

4774034611_a189167f49_z.jpg

Reminds me of the classic cartoon: "I keep thinking it's Tuesday".

Pete

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Santa, AKA the ISS, will be visible at about 5:20 tonight passing to the south of the UK. Little kids (and big kids) please note.

I think that was the previous orbit. 

The current one is heading towards Le Mans, no doubt to say "Howdy" to OD and Ashers!   

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

The "tops" behind us are snow-covered this morning - not for the first time this winter

attachicon.gifOS.jpg

Ours are not much lower at 298 one and 310 t'other but no snow as yet. Nor any on Dunkery Beacon which overshadows them at 519. The South Wales Mountains were clear this morning too as far as we could see.

Don

Festive greetings to one and all….:-)

Santa has arrived early, so I'll raise a glass to all ER's.  Here's hoping 2015 brings everyone good health and peace across the world.

attachicon.gifDSCF7138.jpg

I may have a Speckled hen myself this evening I wil drink to your health then Cheers Don

• Like 7