The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Good Morning and a Happy Canada Day .

One more day of pretending to work before a long weekend. Nothing else happening. In fact its been so dull lately that Wikipedia has changed their entry for 'boring' to the story of my last few weeks. rolleyes.gif

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It is a lovely day here and so far is progressing efficiently. My car has been collected and the courier package that was lost in France is now in Chelmsford and should be delivered today. Next activity is talking to the bank. They wanted to talk to me this morning but the branch has been flooded (I assume from the flats above rather than from rainfall) so the manager is coming here.

Andrew, I asked Matthew if he knew it was Canada Day and he did. How do you traditionally celebrate it?

Mike. Nice to hear that Jamie is singing and walking. Matthew spoke quite early but I suspect what we later recognised as coordination problems affected his "toddler" time, more crash than walk.

Gordon, I still don't know what A B M means unless BoD is in asynchronous balanced mode or is some sort of missile?

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, All these clouds must be because I'm off to Goodwood for the "Moving Motor Show" which is a precursor to the Festival of Speed over the weekend. A mate got dropped a couple of free tickets at the last minute so it would be rude not to go. Should probably leave the chequebook at home to avoid coming home with a new motor! Have a good one all.

Cheers

Dave

Tony. In Canada its pretty much a family type of day. Lots of picnics, camping weekends, outdoor concerts, and fireworks in the evening. In London, we basically take over Trafalgar Square for the day with ball hockey tournaments, concerts, and a lot of excess consumption of food and drink.

I never really thought of it before but 10,000 people on a 12 hour bender in the middle of London and not one speck of trouble. Put the average drinking Brit in a phone box on his own with a few tins of Stella and a fight will break out. tongue.gif Quite the cultural difference. post-2818-127797117996.gif

• RMweb Gold
While I think about it, congratulations to South Africa for their organisation of the World Cup.

Not heard a bad word about it.

You wouldn't hear one over those bloomin' vuvuwotsits. biggrin.gif

Mike guessed it - ABM - my one man war against the ABE T-shirts. tongue.gif

Funny how everyone at the BBC was English until last weekend but are now British.

You wouldn't hear one over those bloomin' vuvuwotsits. biggrin.gif

Mike guessed it - ABM - my one man war against the ABE T-shirts. tongue.gif

Funny how everyone at the BBC was English until last weekend but are now British.

ABM? ABE?.....Still haven't got a clue what you are talking about...biggrin.gif

Must be a northern thing..wink.gif

• RMweb Premium

ABM? ABE?.....Still haven't got a clue what you are talking about...biggrin.gif

Must be a northern thing..wink.gif

More a Scottish thing ........Anyone But England......... Anyone But Murray....... cheap t-shirts

That would explain why it isn't seen down here. Despite being born in Glasgow and having a Scot's mother, I have never understood this hate for England.

I would cheer just as loudly for Scotland, Ireland or Wales if they had qualified for any major sporting competition.

Maybe it's a size thing.....cool.gif

Morning all,

Just off to Wales for a bit of train spotting in Newport Docks again!

I would cheer just as loudly for Scotland, Ireland or Wales if they had qualified for any major sporting competition.

I agree, as an English.

Variation on a theme - what do you call the English in a WC Final? Ref?

• RMweb Gold

All is now explained! I knew about ABE but not ABM. I did know that there had been comments that Murray was British until he lost and became a Scot. I don't really follow tennis but he is one of the few I could recognise and name.

My wife has a piece of paper to say she is British but was very upset about England going out of the World Cup. I tried to cheer her up by telling her how well the team from the land of her birth were doing in the under 16 cup. This wasn't apparently the right thing to say as "she wanted England to win". Assume the quote was delivered loudly and crossly.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all

Started off bright, and rain has crept in, just as I set off for work!

I'm Scottish, and moved to England forty years ago and have never had the traditional Celtic dislike of the Anglo-Saxons. I also don't believe that Scotland could successfully govern itself and also make the books balance, so even when I lived up there, I never voted SNP.

Now with the politics over, as this forum is not a political arena, back to the normal ER drivel. Last night, I was heading for the car park, and heard the unmistakeable sound of a Stanier hooter, and there runnnins g slowly into Lancaster was what appeared to be an ex-works Black 5 with about eight on the back, and a 47 ticking over - appears that it was the test run of the recently overhauled 44932 heading back to Carnforth after running round by Hellifield and Preston.

According to UK Steam, we've also got 71000 on Saturday passing through on its return to main line working, so hopefully, I can wangle a bit of time out of the office at about its probable passing time.

• RMweb Premium

Never mind Tornado, that is a tool!

Agreed Phil - probably the best "failure" ever designed - Riddles DID know what he was doing, but got let down by the build. If only my dad's cousin had lived to see his nemesis running so freely and breaking records. Have you had the good fortune to drive it?

• RMweb Gold

Agreed Phil - probably the best "failure" ever designed - Riddles DID know what he was doing, but got let down by the build. If only my dad's cousin had lived to see his nemesis running so freely and breaking records. Have you had the good fortune to drive it?

I've both driven it for a day on the MHR and fired it on the mainline - I was absolutely amazed to see that the driver had it pulled up to 7% cut off and it was still accelerating hard on the level with 12 on.

This is an old profile pic of me on it - can't find the original size one.

post-6683-127800662639.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

Think this must have been the warmest night of the year so far. Took some time for me to fall asleep in any case <_< ...and it's above 19° even now. We'll be out for dinner tonight - but now I'll need to become awake first of all!

Cheers ;) .

Morning Dom....

Slept soundly last night without any alarms going off. Weather overcast, but Holland v Brazil and Murray today, so not a lot will get done.

Sat and watched the Michael Jackson film last night, "This is it". Saw him live at Wembley in the mid '80's and this film brought it all back. Great music, spectacular effects and really clever and sharp choreography. He was on great form and certainly didn't appear to be the drug riddled freak the media has us believe. Quite sad really.

Hoping my new toy will arrive today. Had a small windfall on my pension, so have treated myself to a desktop mini lathe. No doubt another opportunity to lose a finger or two.....smile.gif

Morning All,

As Dominik said, it is much too hot around here. It is already 25°C in my office and I expect that to rise steadily throughout the day - 36°C has been forecast for later this afternoon :blink: . Unfortunately, when the building was renovated (a project that is still going on) they chose not to install air conditioning. Instead we have "night cooling" which basically means that fans draw cold air into the building at night when it is cool. The idea is a good one in theory - but fundamentally flawed given that in the height of summer it doesn't cool down enough overnight to make enough of a difference. Plus, I don't even see how it can be environmentally friendly (which is what it was trumpeted to be) because although there isn't an air conditioning unit, there are still two large fans in every room! Probably when the total current draw is added up, it is probably more or less the same as having proper air conditioning.

Last night, I got home exhausted. I collapsed on the sofa with a book and then promptly fell asleep for an hour! I feel a little less tired this morning - but I find this weather somewhat draining.

Interesting what you said about Tornado Phil - It does make one wonder what steam engines would be like today if they had continued development. Probably hugely efficient, and low emission.

Have a good day everyone!

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Raining here at the moment but it's a warm rain, the sort that freshens up the flowers and the greenery and mkes everything smell so sweet. It's quite enjoyable to be out in it.

A pension windfall Gordon? I didn't think those existed anymore. Have fun with the lathe. I managed a turned poker once, way back when I was in the first year at secondary school. This was just after we'd sawn and filed a chunk of thick metal into a bottle opener shape (that didn't open bottles) and before we stamped our name onto a key tag. That is the sum total of my life's work in metal.

Enjoy your lunch Don.

• RMweb Premium

It is already 25°C in my office and I expect that to rise steadily throughout the day - 36°C has been forecast for later this afternoon :blink: .

Same here - almost 26° in this room, which of course may also be due to it being located on the south side of the building.

Morning all,

Another lay in this morning with no delivery runs. Had a 'wasted' trip to Newport Docks yesterday; not a 66 in sight! (Delivered the consignment of printing plates though!)

19C with a full set of oktas here; www.raintoday.co.uk suggests that in about an hour, they'll start leaking and that they'll keep it up for most of the day! As you said, BoD, hopefully most enjoyable to be out in it, so might be rainbathing later! (doesn't need any fancy creams like sunbathing! ;) )

Happy POETS day everyone!