The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Is every decent book on the  L&SWR out of print?

Anyone recommend a book on the infrastructure, building and track layouts of the Drummond / Urie era up to 1922? Primarily interested in area east of Salisbury.

Cheers, Pete.

Main Line to the West vol 1 by John Nicholas and George Reeve. I have a copy. The South Western Circle may still have copies but their web site appears to be down.

Bill

Is every decent book on the  L&SWR out of print?

Anyone recommend a book on the infrastructure, building and track layouts of the Drummond / Urie era up to 1922? Primarily interested in area east of Salisbury.

Cheers, Pete.

A good man to ask would be Graham Muspratt of Fisherton Sarum layout fame. Can't remember his handle on here but he's on Twitter as @GrahamMuz.

Will do Pete!

Mine is all in my PC at the moment too. My current piano is far too old and ropey to be of recording use, but I'll upgrade when the studio is built.

Originally it was just going to be a shed, then I started composing a bit of music and now it's going to be a relatively small 3 room studio - one "soundproofed" iso booth, and smaller storage room (for the model railway stuff) and the main room which tapers from about 4m at its widest part to 1.5m at its narrowest along a 5m length. Nothing too outrageously big - but enough for me to work comfortably whilst also giving space to relax with friends.

I cant afford to move out from my parents, so this is the next best alternative (and probably better actually!). I didn't slave away washing up for 2 years for nothing :D

I use both Logic Pro 8 and Garageband. I don’t really play keyboards but use a M-Audio KeyRig 25 controller and the keyboard software included on Logic Pro (which I prefer over the “other one” - ProFeel). For guitar I plug into an ancient Line 6 Tone Port UX2 and Gearbox software - I really don’t bother micing my collection of amps. Every other instrument is either on Garageband or Logic Pro. Sometimes I manipulate the Apple series of looping/sample CD’s.

Everything I need is covered up to a full orchestra.

Good luck with the build.  Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 2

Evening all,

Very busy day and so extremely late on parade again! Looked in a couple of times during the day but too many minor dramas occurred for me to post - I won't bore you all with the details.

Pete, I've managed to source a couple of out of print books from 'Linda Tinker Books' and 'Bill Hudson Transport Books', both can be found using Google! Bill Hudson is particularly helpful, and will recommend other suppliers if he can't deliver one.

Flávio, I fully agree with your sentiments about Don, something we can all cherish. Hope the doggie dramas improve after the operation on Lucy.

Last F1 race of the season this weekend but with a stupid new scoring system that could lose Lewis the championship. I'll no doubt be watching anyway. Always get a bit fed-up when my car and motorcycle racing shuts down for the winter!

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night Pete!

G’night Jock.........and thanks.

When I lived in London I used to frequent “MotorBooks” just off Charing Cross Road for both my Railway and Racing Car fixes. Alas the shop has closed but I understand that they still exist on the Internet, so I’ll look there too.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

After dealing with flood (very trivial in fact) I didn't do much until going to the dentist to have the tooth that disintegrated on Wednesday looked at. He did a repair that has made it feel much better. Interesting that it was hurting but a local anaesthetic wasn't needed.

Then some supermarket shopping and a quiet walk with Robbie in the park.

If I can summon up some energy I will try and go to the Shoeburyness model railway exhibition. I suspect if I do I will be given a shopping list for the big Waitrose near the exhibition venue.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

I use both Logic Pro 8 and Garageband. I don’t really play keyboards but use a M-Audio KeyRig 25 controller and the keyboard software included on Logic Pro (which I prefer over the “other one” - ProFeel). For guitar I plug into an ancient Line 6 Tone Port UX2 and Gearbox software - I really don’t bother micing my collection of amps. Every other instrument is either on Garageband or Logic Pro. Sometimes I manipulate the Apple series of looping/sample CD’s.

Everything I need is covered up to a full orchestra.

Good luck with the build.  Pete.

I have to agree with the ease and convenience of composing "within the box". I use Reason, I'm in the process of upgrading from Reason 5 to Reason 8 - but I need to upgrade my PC to do so (although my laptop will happily run it). It also has some Line 6 Amps which sound pretty nice. Can't wait to upgrade my PC so I can use the software properly. Gear wise, I only have an 88 Note MIDI Keyboard (M-Audio Oxygen 88) which I use for everything. Nice 'n' simple!

Jam

Edited by SouthernRegionSteam

Jemma passed her check-ride and is now offically a First Officer with Compass Airlines (flying Delta Connection Embraer E175 jets), presented here below with her "wings" and cap badge, both of which you only receive after you qualify on your check-ride. Pass more onions please  :)

post-7286-0-54157400-1416620214.jpg

And you're justifiably, proud, Ian! A lovely lass and a credit to her Dad!

Have you ever seen this by the late cartoonist Mischa Richter, originally published in "The New Yorker" in 1973? Thankfully, there's a little less male chauvinism these days. http://www.art.co.uk/products/p15063565517-sa-i6851994/mischa-richter-welcome-aboard-this-is-your-captain-margaret-williamson-speaking-new-yorker-cartoon.html

Edit to repair link.

Edited by bluebottle
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Out ofcomms meant I was late hearing the sad news of Don.

Now it was customary for people to have a Wake with cakes and finger buns and pickled cabbage and pease pudding to celebrate the positive impact

Someone has had on life.

Can we have a wake by all having a cup of tea and a cake/sandwich this Sunday at 4pm UK time? A virtual wake to celebrate someone who added to our lives on rmweb?

Baz

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. Coffee had, just needs to kick in now…

Baz, you think the goose dinner we'll be having tonight will count, too? Don't think I'll eat a lot before that for obvious reasons! At the very least, I'll certainly raise another glass to Don tonight!

Edited by 1216 025
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Layout set up and tested last night then a few beers in the pub next to the hotel as it was way too wet to venture further afield.

Just about to get ready to go for breakfast and a walk to the hall from the hotel, probably a 20 minute walk so hoping its not raining!!

Looking forward to the show today but need to keep the credit cards in my pocket although that will no doubt not be possible with all that trade!!!

• Like 4

Morning all, 

Disturbed nights sleep as the neighbours having demolished their house the other day got a tipper truck & loading shovel in at 2:00am   to take away the rubble!  

Woke a whole lot of people around here so this morning sofar it is pretty quite. 

Off to work & shopping later this morning -- those going exhibiting (or visiting)  hope the day goes well. (Having been involved with exhibiting my own (twice) and mates layouts (three times) layouts at Warley . I know   it can be pretty stressful at times)

Enjoy your  day

Trev.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning ERs

I trust all is as well as circumstances allow.

RMWeb is up and running.  I had though I might find it drowned in froth and foam as Warley is about to open and we are told there will be some announcements made.

Perhaps everyone's gone to a town in Essex near Brentwood today instead ;)

• RMweb Premium

Morning all

Apparently I'm going tenpin bowling today.

I've never tenpin bowled before.

I hope I don't do too much damage.

Make sure that the paramedics are standing by. You will find more things aching than you knew you had. :jester:

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

I probably will go to the exhibition in Southend today. So far there is only one item on the "as you will be near Waitrose" list. Aditi is off to East Ham soon for the graduation ceremony. It isn't until 5 this evening but apparently she needs to be there.

Tony

Lumpin' it down here. Julie has abandoned Merton Abbey for the weekend, and I'm just starting to walk again. I think I'll sit down and do some modelling!

A real mix this week, loss and sadness on one side of the balance and some lovely photos of grandson showing him kneeling up - we wouldn't have expected that nine months ago - on the other. Life.

Only flies in my soup are a visit to the dental hygienist on Monday and a stack of plates Julie wants me to drill holes in for cake stands. I hate the job! I dod have a punt at her buying me a new, bigger pillar drill to make the job easier, but she wasn't having any of it.

Something I want ER's advice on. 

For Christmas Julie has bought me a new lens, a Nikon 18-55m VRII zoom. I got it from Amazon for £106, but when it arrived it came in plain packaging, not Nikon, with no guarantee card, registration card or lens hood. I queried this with Amazon and from the replies from the seller he is clearly just an individual buying and splitting camera kits - he tells me that's where the lens comes from. Now, the lens works, and it's a few quid (not many) cheaper than buying a legit import. Should I just go with it or ask for my money back?

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Dick - I've got a non-VR version sitting here doing nothing. I did have a VRII version but gave it away with my old D40! I also have an 18-70 which got sidelined when the 18-200 appeared. Is there a picture emerging here? [sorry.] These affordable lenses are much better than they should be and the pundits confirm they even support 24MP cameras pretty well, which the 18-200 doesn't. Splitting packs to sell the components happens in all forms of selling, so I'd be comfy in your shoes just now - if the foot is less painful!

I've only been bowling a few times. Inevitably you watch the flashy regulars hurling the ball down there - but I found accuracy was worth a lot more than velocity, and your muscle groups will agree. Straight and gentle can still get you a strike!

Some months ago I think one or two ERs chimed in on a Dorking reference of mine. Sherry and I have seen pics of the Dorking Xmas lights this year - and there are 4 chickens pulling Santa instead of reindeer! The Dorking breed (?) of chicken is the town's symbol. On another Facebook thread with pictures of Surrey from times past, there are a couple of shots of the nearby Mickleham Bypass, opened in 1937. Apparently this was the first dual-carriageway bypass in Britain. Sumptuously appointed, with wide verges, cycle tracks and footpaths in each direction, no wonder later schemes were a bit less extravagant!

Hope your weekend looking good - it's bright and sunny here.

• Like 6

Morning gang. Grey and miserable here, which I suppose is rather apt under the circumstances (I found out yesterday that a colleague has died from cancer, I suppose the one bright spot is that the youngest of her sons is 14 or so and they will all at least have a store of memories of their mother). The Stationmaster has been seen off on his way to Warley, I hope all the exhibition goers have a nice day. A friend of mine is taking his young son to Warley, hopefully it won't put them both off the hobby for life.

Something I want ER's advice on. 

For Christmas Julie has bought me a new lens, a Nikon 18-55m VRII zoom. I got it from Amazon for £106, but when it arrived it came in plain packaging, not Nikon, with no guarantee card, registration card or lens hood. I queried this with Amazon and from the replies from the seller he is clearly just an individual buying and splitting camera kits - he tells me that's where the lens comes from. Now, the lens works, and it's a few quid (not many) cheaper than buying a legit import. Should I just go with it or ask for my money back?

I'm also looking at lenses!

Canon in my case (or not in my case yet).

I think the answer to your question is that it may be worth paying a little extra for the guarantee from a land based outlet.

£106 seems quite cheap for that lens.

Sounds as if it is secondhand anyway.

• Like 1

I've only been bowling a few times. Inevitably you watch the flashy regulars hurling the ball down there - but I found accuracy was worth a lot more than velocity, and your muscle groups will agree. Straight and gentle can still get you a strike!

Top Tip: Remember to let go.

• Like 1