The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

A very special member has left us - Don loved to be first on here in the mornings and was interesting and interested in everyone. I shall miss him.

Our hearts go out to you and your family, Tim; thank you for letting us know.

Edited by Ashcombe

Don could be all things like the rest of us. I liked to wind him up about Rock music and Soccer - but he liked my stuff (some of it).......

I only hope that somewhere he is watching England playing South Africa at either Cricket or Rugby.

Pete.

• Like 10

Lightening the mood - I hope not disrespectfully - I had a fascinating afternoon.

As I said earlier I have volunteered to help with the restoration of the David Knights-Whittome collection of glass negatives - the Past on Glass project at Sutton library.

The collection consists of over 10,000 glass negatives taken between 1904 and 1917, found in the basement of a shop in Sutton High Street when it was being demolished in 1979. The plates have been pretty much just stored since, until a heritage lottery grant was awarded.

We had our first meeting this afternoon.

What we, the volunteers, will have to do is clean and scan the plates and enter their data onto a spreadsheet. Where possible we will research the subjects, and that will become the basis of a blog, Facebook page and so on. They are the usual range of subjects that you'd expect from a professional photographer in a well-off suburb in the Edwardian era. Many of the photos are war-related and may give us pictures of men on our war memorials for the first time, as well as children, domestics and high-born ladies. Even the royal family.

It looks very exciting, and I'm really looking forward to being part of it.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Tim,

You will certainly realise how many friends Don had on here from around the world; Europe, Africa, America...through this forum Don had friends in many places. 

We will all be with you and with Don on Wednesday. 

Don was endlessly entertaining with his humorous anecdotes of life in retirement living. 

As a newbie to this thread I'm only now learning of the impact he had through his generosity. 

Our much-loved South Africa correspondent has moved on but I'm sure he will be keeping a close eye on us.  Bless you Don and rest peacefully.

Andy 

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Very sorry to hear about Don but in some ways it was perhaps a release from the trying times and pain he has had to endure recently.  Condolences to Tim and family and to all Don's friends in SA - we will miss him t00.

Mike / Pete,

I had problems on my iPad with Safari forgetting logins - try turning off private browsing (settings -> safari -> private browsing). Note this is not present on all versions but if it's on yours, give it a go.

Thanks Dave but I have it turned off anyway and have done for a long time.  If you have it turned on then you need to long-in on RMweb for every session - but my problem is being signed-off without doing anything, I think I'm up to six occasions so far today but it might be seven or eight as s stopped counting after the fifth one.  Downright bl**dy frustrating.

• RMweb Premium

RIP Don.

Well worthy of the wealth of tributes on here to this friendly, thoughtful and humourous gentleman I got to know only on ERs and the word game.

Will miss him.

Condolences to Tim and family and many thanks for keeping us informed.

Polly

Morning all,

Very tired and have just turned on to read the news that I have feared for a while. Tim, you will be in our thoughts on Wednesday. Funerals are rarely a pleasant affair but I'm certain that, even in the short time I knew him through this media, he will have left you some fantastic memories to dwell on.

I shall not forget the dry humour that I looked forward to each morning, nor the kind words of welcome when I first became an ER! Thank you for updating us and I will cherish a copy of the address.

RIP Don, the single malt nightcap is raised in your honour!

Don't feel like posting much more now so good night, and

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night Pete!

Kind regards,

Sad Jock.

• Like 4

Morning all,

POETS day  -and morning of  Corporate C*** ahead......

Dick, that sounds like a very interesting project ,  and I guess many of us will be looking forward to your findings?  

Lets all try to make the most of what life throws at us? 

Trev.

• Like 2

Morning All,

I was very sad to read the news about Don this morning.  Although I never met him in person, he always came across as a true Gentleman, and I have fond memories of our "races" to work.

Don and I used to arrive at work at more or less the same time every day (given the hours difference between South Africa and Germany) and it was always a close run thing as to who would post first here in ERs.

My thoughts and prayers are with you all, Tim.

I don't have anything else to add really.  Other than to say, have a good day everyone...

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Morning all… Only on my first mug of coffee yet, but that'll change, I'm sure! SWMBO's uncle will be in town over the weekend, so a dinner of roast goose will be on the menu tomorrow.

Try to enjoy your day, guys…

• Like 5

Lightening the mood - I hope not disrespectfully - I had a fascinating afternoon.

As I said earlier I have volunteered to help with the restoration of the David Knights-Whittome collection of glass negatives - the Past on Glass project at Sutton library.

The collection consists of over 10,000 glass negatives taken between 1904 and 1917, found in the basement of a shop in Sutton High Street when it was being demolished in 1979. The plates have been pretty much just stored since, until a heritage lottery grant was awarded.

We had our first meeting this afternoon.

What we, the volunteers, will have to do is clean and scan the plates and enter their data onto a spreadsheet. Where possible we will research the subjects, and that will become the basis of a blog, Facebook page and so on. They are the usual range of subjects that you'd expect from a professional photographer in a well-off suburb in the Edwardian era. Many of the photos are war-related and may give us pictures of men on our war memorials for the first time, as well as children, domestics and high-born ladies. Even the royal family.

It looks very exciting, and I'm really looking forward to being part of it.

I, for one, would be interested in the process you will use.

Will you make (and work from) prints?

We're working from the glass negatives, which are mostly quarter plate but with some half-plate and whole plate examples and a few 10" x 12".

They are currently stored in brown paper envelopes with assorted information, including a job reference number, which we are recording on the spreadsheet. Then, if we can, we remove the negative from the envelope. Some are broken, others have been water damaged and the paper has stuck to the emulsion. Some may be saveable, others not, about 10% will be write-offs. The bigger plates have the worse damage as they were stored on the bottom shelves and the shelves collapsed at some point.

We are cleaning the back of the plate (the glass side) with distilled water, making proper storage envelopes from acid-free archive card and filing them.

The next phase is scanning them on a couple of A3 Epson scanners with toplights. They are scanned full-size at 1200dpi which means that we should be able to make decent A3 prints, but it's a slow process. About 36 minutes for a scanner load.

The scan is then cross referenced to the spreadsheet.

In the cases where the person is identified (sadly the customer ledger was lost very early on) we then set off using Ancestry, local directories, CWGC, Soldiers Died and so on to get information, which is stored and cross referenced to the spreadsheet again. I want to use the local papers which we have on fiche. Then we start again.

It's a huge task, and eventually some of the damaged negatives will be professionally restored.

I'm really looking forward to it!

• Like 6

Morning all from the boring borough.

Farewell Don. You will be missed. Finding it hard to think and type at the moment. Chopping onions you see. Yea, that's it onions. About all I can say just now.

To everyone else, make the most of your day and enjoy it.

• Like 5

Good morning all

It's amazing how attached you can become to someone that you interact with on ER or word games here, yet have never met. So glad to have known Don here, and his passing leaves us feeling gloomy.

Taking my mum back to hospital today for them to remove the dressing from her replacement pacemaker op from last week. Bruising looks bad, but wound healing well, I think. She's certainly a lot better than the day after the op.

The Edinburgh Christmas Market opens today in Princes Street Gardens. All the usual German market candles, toys, beer and wurst, I expect.

Best wishes to all here today

Mal

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Off shortly - after getting dressed - to take herself to Reading for the train westwards to Plymouth where she's meeting a local Mayor for a few hours (an old school friend).  In the meanwhile I shall no doubt try, for once, to pre-plan some of my route around Hall 5 for tomorrow - and no doubt forget to take it with me and get as lost as I usually do.  Fortunately I've seen many of the layouts in far more amenable showcumstances so that's one less thing to think about.

Have a good day folks, notwithstanding our sad loss yesterday.

• Like 8