The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

As predicted not a lot done today. Robbie has been taken for a walk. I didn't feel like driving so we went to some nearby fields. I did my good deed for the day and told a cyclist out with his dog that the puddle he was heading for was deeper than it looked!

• Like 7

Back home after a few days sorting out aged relatives care needs.  Fortunately she is entirely compos mentis albeit infirm, which makes for interesting exchanges with the sort of 'scam artists' who appear to do the rounds of elderly residents in Clacton-on Sea.

She sends them of with a flea in both ears!

Returned to a garden with grass that's still growing (let alone the weeds!)  I may have to butcher it tomorrow, if it's dry enough, then lug it all to the local tip as our Council doesn't 'do' green bins.  Hmmmm, perhaps I should create a Japanese Zen garden of sand with a low stone structure around it (and run a Shinkansen Bullet Train on the top!!!)

• Like 4

Jock,

I’m not rapacious. I have Urquhart Castle up for $150.00 (incl. shipping to UK in sturdy tube) - most of the cost goes to tube and postage....

Frankly if you decide to have it’s best to wait until after Christmas anyway.

Tony,

As predicted not a lot done today. Robbie has been taken for a walk. I didn't feel like driving so we went to some nearby fields. I did my good deed for the day and told a cyclist out with his dog that the puddle he was heading for was deeper than it looked!

I like that. Most people would have waited until he had taken a purler in front of their iPhone and posted the result on YouTube..... Peeing down here today, I saved a woman myself who was about to push a push chair through a puddle that contained a pothole (from last Winter)!

Best, Pete.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Just had someone phone to sell me insurance. Asked how I was feeling. Told him I was feeling really p*ssed off and hung up.

Just off to take Julie's stock to Bourne Hall.

My usual reply to the goons who ask how I am feeling today etc is to say 'alright until you called' - that is followed by words which, liberally translated, could be taken as 'go forth and multiply'.

The really annoying ones are the ones with very obvious Asian accents who say my name is Jack or Fred or whatever in an attempt to convince you they are not calling from Bangalore - I'm usually not very polite to them, Mrs Stationmaster treats them to some very strong worded opinions.

Ian's call was clearly in a very different category by the sound of things and I can appreciate the difficulty of having to deal with such a situation over the 'phone - a lot harder to be kind yet firm without being face-to-face alas.

• RMweb Gold

Jock,

I’m not rapacious. I have Urquhart Castle up for $150.00 (incl. shipping to UK in sturdy tube) - most of the cost goes to tube and postage....

Frankly if you decide to have it’s best to wait until after Christmas anyway.

Tony,

I like that. Most people would have waited until he had taken a purler in front of their iPhone and posted the result on YouTube..... Peeing down here today, I saved a woman myself who was about to push a push chair through a puddle that contained a pothole (from last Winter)!

Best, Pete.

My faithful hound had tried to lead me through the very deceptive puddle a few moments before. Sometimes Robbie behaves in a manner that Muttley would approve of.

I have a painting that travelled over the Atlantic protected by a sturdy tube. It isn't a Scottish landscape but it is one of those paintings that just does something that is more than pigments reflecting light.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S

• RMweb Premium

My response last week when a cold caller asked "How are you today?" was...

"BUSY", followed by putting the phone down.

I recently saw a recommended cold call transcript. You may wish to have a go! 

I'm reminded of Judie Dench's character in Best Exotic Marigold Hotel when thinking of Asian contact centres.

• Like 13

A group of chaps, all aged 40, discussed where they should meet for a reunion lunch. Finally it was agreed that they would meet at Wetherspoons in Uxbridge because the waitresses were pretty and wore mini-skirts.

Ten years later, at age 50, the friends once again discussed where they should meet for lunch. Finally it was agreed that they would meet at Wetherspoons in Uxbridge because the food and service was good and the beer selection was excellent.

Ten years later, at age 60, the friends again discussed where they should meet for lunch. Finally it was agreed that they would meet at Wetherspoons in Uxbridge because there was plenty of parking, they could dine in peace and quiet, and it was good value for money.

Ten years later, at age 70, the friends discussed where they should meet for lunch. Finally it was agreed that they would meet at Wetherspoons in Uxbridge because the restaurant was wheelchair accessible and had a toilet for the disabled.

Ten years later, at age 80, the friends discussed where they should meet for lunch. Finally it was agreed that they would meet at Wetherspoons in Uxbridge because they had never been there before.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

A group of chaps, all aged 40, discussed where they should meet for a reunion lunch. Finally it was agreed that they would meet at Wetherspoons in Uxbridge because the waitresses were pretty and wore mini-skirts.

Ten years later, at age 50, the friends once again discussed where they should meet for lunch. Finally it was agreed that they would meet at Wetherspoons in Uxbridge because the food and service was good and the beer selection was excellent.

Ten years later, at age 60, the friends again discussed where they should meet for lunch. Finally it was agreed that they would meet at Wetherspoons in Uxbridge because there was plenty of parking, they could dine in peace and quiet, and it was good value for money.

Ten years later, at age 70, the friends discussed where they should meet for lunch. Finally it was agreed that they would meet at Wetherspoons in Uxbridge because the restaurant was wheelchair accessible and had a toilet for the disabled.

Ten years later, at age 80, the friends discussed where they should meet for lunch. Finally it was agreed that they would meet at Wetherspoons in Uxbridge because they had never been there before.

That joke is funny each time you tell it.  :jester:   ;)   :angel:

• RMweb Premium

Evening All

I'm fully caught up, but not a lot has happened here today, other than being roped into some housework, and after that, I was feeling a bit tired, as Lily got me up twice last night - about 01.30 and about 04.00 - the second time, I started to take her outside, and she went back to bed while my back was turned.  Hey-ho, who'd have animals.

Tomorrow, it's Morrisons again.  My what an eventful life we lead once we're retired - NOT.

Regards to All

Stewart

Evening All

I'm fully caught up, but not a lot has happened here today, other than being roped into some housework, and after that, I was feeling a bit tired, as Lily got me up twice last night - about 01.30 and about 04.00 - the second time, I started to take her outside, and she went back to bed while my back was turned.  Hey-ho, who'd have animals.

Tomorrow, it's Morrisons again.  My what an eventful life we lead once we're retired - NOT.

Regards to All

Stewart

I thought you were supposed to be taking it easy!

John

• RMweb Premium

Good evening friends of the train world.

A busy day full of r/c fitting into W&L 'Earls' and 'Countesses'.  Shame I don't get to keep one.  :umbrage:  :cry:

Good wishes for the Judge from over here too - an impressive scar, your worship!  Despite all the nuts and bolts, hacksaw blades and things done to my hip I only have two little holes.....amazing technique really, the surgeon who operated actually designed the instruments used in this operation, so he should at least have been competent in their use!

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I get particulaly annoyed with those callers who ask for someone by name and when I respond by saying there is no one here by that name, start trying to involve me in whatever scam they are intending. I firmly say 'The person you want does not live here and I have no wish to talk to you'  which seems to fox them, cannot be in their script.

Don

• Like 5

Good evening all - back on E.R after a brief time away again - did you miss me?? A wife riddled with flu, a busy time with work and the organising of the Weston on Trent  Exhibition again. I hope all are well - far too many pages to wade through right now.

As I am sure some may have read elsewhere the exhibition went well and will be back again next year.

• Like 3

I would have stood back and enjoyed the entertainment. :devil:

And if you enjoyed it too audibly, would you have appreciated the twist in the tail of the story when the cyclist sent the dog back to bite your bum?

Evening all,

Firstly to the Judge - rest assured that we will all be thinking of you and as others have said, please keep us informed! Best of luck from Joanna and I.

Pete(trisonic), thanks for the info, that seems very fair to me. I'd have to ask the chancellor in advance and she'd probably say "you went to art school for a year, why don't you paint one! Hope the weather is being kind to you, sounds pretty cold where Ian Abel lives!

John(CB), thanks for the update, they must be fairly happy to only check at three monthly intervals - keep it up and hopefully life will be back to normal soon.

Apparently my 'quiet day' tomorrow has changed - nurse daughter is on a long day so could I possibly drop granddaughter to school and then take her little dog to the doggie parlour for its regular bath and trim (son in law is also working). After all the help and support she has given us, there was no way that I could refuse!

Weather was terrible this evening with monsoon like rain - don't know if I'll ever get to trim the weed patch again before spring!

Hope Tuesday is kind to you all

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night Pete!

• RMweb Gold

I was going to say that Dr Station Cat has returned from her latest overseas jaunt - but she already has.  I won't spoil things by telling you where she's been but she did bring me back a railway modelling magazine titled Modell Eisen Bahner which, among other things, has a nice article on Class 93 tank engines, a type with which I'm unfamiliar so all the more interesting.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

My usual reply to the goons who ask how I am feeling today etc is to say 'alright until you called'.

Try the opposite approach -- it makes you feel better: "Oh hello thanks for ringing I'm glad you rang I was hoping you would I wanted to tell you about what happened to me today well you know I always go the the library on wednesdays to change my library book well today the bus was late in fact I nearly gave up waiting for it and went home anyway when I finally got to the library they were just about to close for lunch but they said I could go in if I was quick well you'll never guess who I met in there in the fiction F to M section no that's wrong it was N to T anyway I haven't seen them for it must be 25 years at least... click.

• Like 2