The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Earlier this year I sorted a lot of magazines into plastic crates. However they are too heavy for me to move downstairs. So I dragged them into Matthew's room. He didn't seem to mind.

You should only half fill the crates Tony. if they are too heavy for you to lift the bottom will drop out of it anyway.

Edited by skipepsi

• RMweb Gold

You should only half fill the crates Tony. if they are too heavy for you to lift the bottom will drop out of it anyway.

The crates are probably stronger than I am! I was going to buy another lot when they are on offer again and reduce the weight per crate.

Tony

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Just fill the top half then they will still look full.

People will be impressed that you can carry full crates.

Aditi was quite impressed that my tidying meant we could see the radiator in our bedroom.

• RMweb Premium

Earlier this year I sorted a lot of magazines into plastic crates. However they are too heavy for me to move downstairs. So I dragged them into Matthew's room. He didn't seem to mind.

I personally can't stand any storage boxes to be deposited anywhere on the floor except in suitable corners or other designated areas! This summer, I also replaced the cardboxes I originally had in my office with plastic ones as the rabbits had found out they made for good gnawing stuff. The storage room we have on our floor (which had been a lavatory when this house was built) is quite full, sadly...

• RMweb Premium

Pressure drop in a combi boiler can be due to a leak in a rad, or the pipework, or just due to a slow gradual drop in the pressure in the system - usually the boiler will not trip if the pressure drops below about half the rated system pressure - which tends to be about one bar.

I'll come back later with more updates etc...

Or a fault/leak in the boiler itself (as happened with ours - and it took 5 different British Gas service fitters to find it, after we'd had tests on the system trying to find where the water had gone).

It was exactly one year to the day since the boiler was installed so it was still under guarantee, just! I will be having a couple of the older radiators replaced as a precaution as well.

• RMweb Premium

Absolutely knackered.

Had a bad nights sleep, went to Groudle and helped re-sleeper some track, tidied a load of scrap out of the p-way shed, came home and completely flopped.  My personal batteries are flat, not sure why, I must be sickening for something.

Trains, maybe?

post-10195-0-43347900-1416168554.jpg

A very long day on the first day of a first aid course.  If I am successful, after eight days and three assessments spread over the next year, I shall have a very impressive new qualification.  It's going to be bl00dy hard work, literally. Wish me luck.  Now I need to get the kit checked for tomorrow's CFR duty.  Sh1t, haven't put the radio on charge yet so must go.

Bill

Happy birthday Geoff...

So I was up at 5AM this morning (are you NUTS I hear them say!!), special reason.

Jemma was doing her final sim "LOFT" (Line Oriented Flight Training - a full gate-to-gate flight out and back flight with all procedures) and her instructor told her that if there was anyone she knew who'd like to sit in, they would be welcome - didn't have to ask ME twice!!! :locomotive:

She performed PNF "pilot not flying" duries outbound and PF "pilot flying" inbound. Was a remarkable adventure in a full motion sim., and I even was given a shot at landing (did pretty well...) during the break.

Here we are after she had landed back at Minneapolis...

attachicon.gifLOFT-1.jpg

Was -14 when we headed to the training center, and now up to -7 and light snow falling, expecting an inch or two.

Hoping to get some modelling later, but may just need a nap first!!

As I read this posting and the subsequent one on car's instruments,  it made me think back to the time I acquired a set of what were beer mats. I laminated them together and stuck on the rear a couple of fridge magnetic strips. Then on a Morris Minor rally in Southern Ireland, I left our car with this over the central speedometer.

post-276-0-85811400-1416169465.jpg

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Evening all.

A good day was spent at Trimley yesterday photographing trains, and then a nice family curry (cooked by Jill and myself) meant we were all snoozing so an early night.

During said early night Jill heard an owl twit-to-whoo ing outside the window, so woke me to tell me, at 04:00 - thanks. It had gone by the time I woke up enough to realise what she was on about. Jill and I had plans to go for a walk, which involved visiting a new photographic location, these changed at short notice after I heard of an unusual train on the other line (GER main line) - a single coach with a 90 at each end. We headed off so I could photograph it, set the cameras up and photographed the normal Norwich / Liverpool Street trains, one in each direction and then the heavens opened, Jill ran and hid in the car (a few hundred yards away) but I stayed and 15 minutes later photographed the 90s + coach, boy was I wet. The kids declined the offer so were happily at home. We decided to go home then and I made us roast pork, roast potatoes, veg and gravy followed by apple crumble as a treat.

An anniversary of a very sad event for me today, so the distractions were useful.

• Like 1

Jill heard an owl twit-to-whoo ing outside the window, so woke me to tell me, at 04:00 

Before the bird watchers tear you to pieces, something I learnt on Qi, one sex of owls do the twiting and the other does the whooing. Not both unless it happens to be a "substantial rebuild or not to original specification" sort of a person sometimes seen at some shows.  

Edited by Judge Dread

Ian,

Earlier on some were complaining about the number of knobs and switches in a car.

Where do you hang the fluffy dice?

Not sure about the dice - I'll ask :jester:

Re: knobs and switches, the Embraer E175 is very high-tech and most recent technology, so it has a significantly reduced collection (compared to earlier generation aircraft) and entirely glass-cockpit design, so much of what could/would have been knobs and switches is replaced by on-screen selections/checks.

Nevertheless, below shows the three "knobs and switches" panels the pilots have full knowledge of (if you thought the cars were involved!!!)

Upper panel...

post-20244-0-56589200-1416170217_thumb.jpg

Pedestal/throttle quadrant...

post-20244-0-65794700-1416170215_thumb.jpg

MCP (Mode Control Panel) - below the larger screens on the forward end of the pedestal are two additional screens for the FMS (flight management system)...

post-20244-0-42879400-1416170213_thumb.jpg

Spent the morning helping son organize for his move to new apartment next weekend, went to see the new apartment, very nice upper level of an older house in Minneapolis. Completely redone by the new owner and made into two three bedroom apartments on each level. Will suit son and his two buddies quite well for sure.

-12 this morning with bright sun and clear skies, becoming cloudy and a high of -8 later. Overnight headed for -13 again.

This afternoon I'm hoping to get some time to both replace HD in my server AND lay some more track - should be a breeze to get the time as Mrs and daughter are off at a baby shower all afternoon, at least it keeps them all occupied and away from here for a few hours.

Why it takes a whole ARMY of women WITH PRESENTS to give a baby a shower I'll never understand, I just stand in there, turn the water on and get the soap going - . :jester: ... hat, coat, you know the rest ;)

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Not sure about the dice - I'll ask :jester:

Re: knobs and switches, the Embraer E175 is very high-tech and most recent technology, so it has a significantly reduced collection (compared to earlier generation aircraft) and entirely glass-cockpit design, so much of what could/would have been knobs and switches is replaced by on-screen selections/checks.

Nevertheless, below shows the three "knobs and switches" panels the pilots have full knowledge of (if you thought the cars were involved!!!)

Upper panel...

attachicon.gifUpperPanel-1.jpg

Pedestal/throttle quadrant...

attachicon.gifPedestal-1.jpg

MCP (Mode Control Panel) - below the larger screens on the forward end of the pedestal are two additional screens for the FMS (flight management system)...

attachicon.gifMCP-1.jpg

Spent the morning helping son organize for his move to new apartment next weekend, went to see the new apartment, very nice upper level of an older house in Minneapolis. Completely redone by the new owner and made into two three bedroom apartments on each level. Will suit son and his two buddies quite well for sure.

-12 this morning with bright sun and clear skies, becoming cloudy and a high of -8 later. Overnight headed for -13 again.

This afternoon I'm hoping to get some time to both replace HD in my server AND lay some more track - should be a breeze to get the time as Mrs and daughter are off at a baby shower all afternoon, at least it keeps them all occupied and away from here for a few hours.

Why it takes a whole ARMY of women WITH PRESENTS to give a baby a shower I'll never understand, I just stand in there, turn the water on and get the soap going - . :jester: ... hat, coat, you know the rest ;)

so where are the CTRL ALT and DEL buttons when the system goes belly up???

With a zip................

OK, hands up all those males who crossed their legs?

Best, Pete.

where is the "Ouch" button??

E and D will give a clue to those who don't know Pete, wondered if you'd done this one when I saw the others, probably the most iconic of the Scottish castles. Thanks once again mate!

Kind regards,

Jock.

PS G'night Peter!

PPS, can't believe it but I put a longer post in the lunester lounge thinking I was on ERs! Must be too tired!!! Jock.

Edited by Jock67B
  • Like 1

Morning All,

It is grey, wet and generally revolting here this morning.  Plus, I have a day of meetings to look forward to.

I am not really sure where the weekend went - I had it a minute ago!

Have a good day everyone...

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. Sunshine ho! Predicted to turn into rain by tomorrow, though. Bank holiday on Wednesday, so I'll need to keep that in mind for tomorrow's purchases.

Try and make the best of this Monday, if such a thing is possible…