The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

I have to say that I am quite happy with the controls in our 08 Ford Focus estate. Most things that you need to operate while driving have sensible size push switches. On the motorhome (Ford Transit base) the controls are identical (which helps!) except it doesn't have the volume controls for the radio on a stalk behind the steering and it doesn't have a heated windscreen, which is a bit of a pain.

John

• RMweb Gold

Especially true of cookers. I'm convinced that no cooker designer has ever had to clean one.

I suspect that the designer of our oven had. The cleaning program leaves a little pile of white ash on the oven floor. Very clever feature (French cooker!)
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

American ones do that too, Tony.  When it works, that is...................

But that, as they say, is another story.

Best, Pete.

Ours always works. If it fails we will buy another one of the same make!
  • Like 3

No wipers, lights or even a reverse gear.

No pedestrians, cyclists or slow moving vehicles and everyone going the same way on exactly the same route. :jester:

I’d forgotten that F1 is easy.

Lights, wipers/washers front and rear. Sound - volume , type - radio, CD, satellite plus four different cruise modes are all controllable from my steering wheel (including adjusting the wheel and column itself) all intuitive and easy.

The only other thing I need once I’ve started driving  the car is heated seats and air temperature controls (just set actual “temp” and it sticks to it - whether it needs cooling or heating).  And I drop down my right hand for that. It is possible to find road cars with decent controls.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Evening folks.

Thanks to the good Dr Cat for showing the Merchant Navy memorial....it wasn't just the Grey Funnel Line that got torpedoed.  Far more merchant vessels did.

As for Ford Focus '06 controls...I have one, I don't love it, but it does the job....why is the heated rear screen button right down there?  Under the radio in the cubby hole? Idiotic, but at least it's on a timer so you don't need to turn it off while you crash trying to find it.  Our Ducato campervan has a better dash than many cars I have driven!

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

The numerical keypad in the centre of my car isn't for anything to do with driving. It is for programming the radio CD system and entering codes for Bluetooth devices. Once set up it all seems to be steering wheel based. The cruise control on the steering wheel also acts as the throttle for what is called HDC or for the saner amongst us "is this really safe" mode. If one finds oneself somewhere (not really likely on a road especially in Essex) on a very steep slope, pressing the big yellow button selects hill descent control. You are supposed to keep feet away from pedals, let the car control the brakes and just steer, adjusting speed between very slow and very very slow from the steering wheel. It feels very odd.

Edited by Tony_S

• RMweb Gold

Aditi is still at work. Latest fun is the arrival of auditors.

At least arriving home in the dark she won't notice that I have replaced the terracotta pot she planted up recently. Unfortunately frost proof isn't strong enough to survive collision with spaniel enthusiastically leaping off the front step.

Tony

• Like 2

Well I'm about to become an 'early napper' rather than an early riser having been awake most of last night listening to the sad story of a friend (a hard-working doctor near to retirement) who has been told by her (soon to be ex-husband, a useless idle bu&&er who hasn't lifted a finger for years) that he has been having affairs all their married life, has 'found someone' and would she please sell the house as soon as possible, oh and let him have half her pension too!

He was outraged when, at my suggestion, she quickly changed the locks on the house this morning, and wouldn't let him in while she was at the Surgery to ferret about and undoubtedly see what was up for grabs.  Some men deserve to be taken out the back and be given a good kicking I think!

• Like 1

Tomorrow morning 09:00 Desert Island Discs Capt Eric "Winkle" Brown RN Rtd. The test pilot who holds the record for the most types flown(487) the most carrier landings(2407)

and is the Fleet Air Arms most decorated living pilot. A remarkable man.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Aditi is still at work. Latest fun is the arrival of auditors.

At least arriving home in the dark she won't notice that I have replaced the terracotta pot she planted up recently. Unfortunately frost proof isn't strong enough to survive collision with spaniel enthusiastically leaping off the front step.

Tony

But you should have looked for the label saying spaniel proof. :jester:

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

But you should have looked for the label saying spaniel proof. :jester:

Robbie isn't at all deliberately destructive but I suppose generations of selective breeding has resulted in spaniels that seem confident that they can just bash through obstacles.
  • Like 3

Nearly crashed ours trying to change from auto wipe to bloody fast wipe because the auto wipe wasn't fast enough to clear the water. As an extra thought why do auto headlights not come on when it is foggy, both the zafira and the picasso are the same.

Mick,

It's because the sensors are 'light' sensitive and the light levels in fog are normally too bright, even if the visibility is poor!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• RMweb Gold

Mick,

It's because the sensors are 'light' sensitive and the light levels in fog are normally too bright, even if the visibility is poor!

Kind regards,

Jock.

How do the rain sensors work? Assuming the switch is in the auto position they adjust the wiper speed quite effectively to different intensity of rain or speed of the car.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 2

Evening all,

Too tired for much of a post tonight but thought I'd mention that the news from my oncology appointment was very heartening and I'll try to get time to tell more tomorrow!

Hope Poet's day goes quickly for everyone's!

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night Pete!

• Like 2

Sorry chaps, that's how tired I am -answering about auto lighting when the question was about wipers!! Pr*t!,

The wipers need quite a lot of water coursing over the sensor to activate it and unless the fog is the very wet kind, it won't be enough! Strange how we've all come to rely on these things when just a few years ago they weren't available. Funniest moment I had with the Citroen Grand C4 Picasso auto-wiping was when I climbed into my demo on a bright sunny summer morning, started up and the wipers kicked off immediately! A seagull had left a perfectly aimed splat over the sensor - one of the joys of living by the sea-side!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 1

Good to hear Jock's heartening news; Peter's (Adams 442T) post saddening.

My mum had her pacemaker replaced yesterday at Edinburgh Royal Infirmary - the battery was running out after 7 years - excellent service from National Health, everyone superb.

Hope the Philae Lander's batteries last as long on that comet...

Mal

G’night, Jock....

Sleep until: “The grey-eyed morn smiles on the frowning night”.

Brownie points for anyone but Jock (who’s bound to know the answer) identifying who wrote it and who said it in what? Extra Brownie points for proving you didn’t look it up on the internet.....

Best, Pete.

• Like 3

I just noticed that the above quote when split into two lines of pentameter fit perfectly:

[The grey eyed morn, smiles

on the frowning night]

with the verses of “Bold as Love”.

Mal Purley Oaks may appreciate that...

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

An early start for her indoors means I too am up and atem early on poets day!

Wet outside but shopping to be undertaken, tea to be drunk first though.

Have a great Friday!

Hope we hear from our south African correspondent soon!

Baz