The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dampish start but a mild 12oC. Looks like showers, bright sunny spells then more showers to come later.

Other than that it seems like Slow News Day here at GB Towers. No real change there then!

I think I'll have another cup of tea.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 8

Morning All,

It is just getting light here - which is a sign that Winter is on the way, although it is currently quite mild.

That's a nice piece of machinery Neil.

My Grandfather had a BSA Golden Flash with a sidecar.  By all accounts it handled very well, and was capable of nearly 100mph - back in a time, of course, when it was not only legal to do so but there was also enough space on the roads to do it!

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

I also had a longer sleep than the previous night but it did mean that I didn't get so much done on the layout this morning!!

Also the trains aren't disrupted as much as they were yesterday morning and evening although a Vic one cancelled.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 6

I thought Len must be a very lucky chap to receive such a present.

Then I saw the Disabled card in the windscreen.

Perhaps not so lucky after all.

attachicon.gif4Len.jpg

A provision of the motability scheme?........Len must be thrilled not to have his disability made public by being given an Invacar trike.

I gave myself an extra ten minutes in bed this morning as it was chucking it down outside. It worked! By the time we got to the beach it had stopped raining and it wasn't as dark as yesterday. No gales yet, but they must be on their way as there was quite a swell running, indeed RTE have confirmed Force 9 gales for this evening. No one told our local flock of oyster catchers that the weather system was running behind schedule as they were already taking cover in the dunes. Maybe they had a look at the sea state and decided to play it safe.

May the sun shine on you.

John

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

A provision of the motability scheme?........Len must be thrilled not to have his disability made public by being given an Invacar trike.

My mother had a mobility badge for use in her car when my father was a passenger:  My mother in law has one, as well, and on the rare occasions we take her anywhere, we use the badge to help with parking, although I do tend to drop her off and then move the car to a normal parking bay.

Len might not be the badge holder, but have given a lift to someone who is.

Which would no doubt account for all these cars with mobility badges whose drivers seem to leap out and rush into the shops.

• Like 1

Good day from beautiful downtown Burbank. the boring borough. (having a Rowan & Martin Laugh in flashback)

4 hours of my life yesterday wasted on a meeting & travel that could have been done over the phone in 20 mins. Such is the waste of modern business. Sigh.

My Farcebook newsfeed tells me its an ER's birthday today. I'm never sure if people like revealing such things or not, so I'll just say HAPPY BIRTHDAY. You know who you are. Hope its a great day.

For those who haven't experienced the latest business productivity fad from the States: remember to eat the frog.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Good day from beautiful downtown Burbank. the boring borough. (having a Rowan & Martin Laugh in flashback)

4 hours of my life yesterday wasted on a meeting & travel that could have been done over the phone in 20 mins. Such is the waste of modern business. Sigh.

My Farcebook newsfeed tells me its an ER's birthday today. I'm never sure if people like revealing such things or not, so I'll just say HAPPY BIRTHDAY. You know who you are. Hope its a great day.

For those who haven't experienced the latest business productivity fad from the States: remember to eat the frog.

http://hellostripes.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/eat-frog-and-drink-acv.html

• Like 5

Morning from the view over Borough Market Junction - it seems to have stopped raining now but it was tipping it down as I walked down the hill to the station earlier.

The weather has been particularly mild this year. I was looking at the large amount of green leaves on the ornamental cherry at the weekend and remembered a few years ago the dustmen refused to take the brown bin because it was so full of the cleared leaves and a couple of pumpkins from Halloween. So autumn is truly lingering this year. the fuschia is still out and there are buds on the rhododendrons.

Year end still drags on but I'm starting to realise it's no longer an excuse to turn my mind to all the things I put off doing at work.

Have a good day all, particularly those people who have dental experiences ahead of them!

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

I thought Len must be a very lucky chap to receive such a present.

Then I saw the Disabled card in the windscreen.

Perhaps not so lucky after all.

attachicon.gif4Len.jpg

My mother had a mobility badge for use in her car when my father was a passenger:  My mother in law has one, as well, and on the rare occasions we take her anywhere, we use the badge to help with parking, although I do tend to drop her off and then move the car to a normal parking bay.

Len might not be the badge holder, but have given a lift to someone who is.

Which would no doubt account for all these cars with mobility badges whose drivers seem to leap out and rush into the shops.

I'm partially disabled and I would find it difficult to get into such a car. The first thought that crossed my mind when I saw the photo was 'is he entitled to use the disabled badge'.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I don't think that's a motability car; they are on a 3 year lease and I doubt if you could change the registration. You also have to pay extra for anything other than a basic hatchback.

Not everybody who is entitled to a blue badge has a visible mobility impairment. Although I'm aware of and abhor the extensive abuse of the blue badge system, some people appear to believe that only wheelchair users are entitled. My wife is disabled but can walk short distances without a stick or crutches. When Martyn was small she used the buggy as support. She was once abused in a car park by someone who seemed to believe that the disabled shouldn't be allowed to have children.

Mind you, the way the new system of PIP appears to be developing; in future only wheelchair users may get the badge.

Wet and gloomy here, I shall go out later for T9s if any are left. 

Pete

• RMweb Gold

Morning All,

It is just getting light here - which is a sign that Winter is on the way, although it is currently quite mild.

That's a nice piece of machinery Neil.

My Grandfather had a BSA Golden Flash with a sidecar.  By all accounts it handled very well, and was capable of nearly 100mph - back in a time, of course, when it was not only legal to do so but there was also enough space on the roads to do it!

Have a good day everyone...

Now you have made me feel old by reference previously to towing a friemds outfit which was a gold flash and sidecar. Mine was a Norton with sidecar. The most comic incident with my outfit was when someone pulled the sidecar door of the hinges. We fitted it back in with a bungee strap. Later a large bump casued the door to fall out although still attached via the strap. The passneger looked out a alerted me with a shout. I braked hard but the bungee had reached its limit. The passenger was rather startled to see the door take off and fly past. Happy days.

Don

• Like 4

Please don't confuse the Blue Badge scheme with Motability. Since my second heart attack and with my b******d leg I now have a Blue Badge which allows me to park nearer to where I need to be. There are strict conditions for its use. Motability is a car lease scheme for people who receive Mobility Allowance at the highest rate ( approx £200 per month which you exchange for the car), such as my blind friend. At the moment he does not have a Motability car as it is cheaper to keep the old one going. He is considering getting a Motability car when the old car dies.

BTW he doesn't drive it , his wife does!  There is no identification on Motability cars, and as said above the norm is a basic vehicle but you can choose to make an up-front payment to get something nicer. Motability is the biggest car leasing scheme in the UK, if not the world, and the majority of cars are supplied for children.

Ed

PS. As for getting in the Jag, I can still get into my Midget (and those who know me will appreciate that this is no mean feat), but can't drive the thing because the big slipper I am obliged to use at the moment is too big and I can't use the throttle and brake pedals.

Edited by edcayton