The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Evening All,

Bitterly cold here and yet more surprises on the dog front. Having survived her onion snack and being scheduled to be spayed on Thursday, Lucy promptly goes into oestrus! Apart from having to deal with unwanted canine suitors (possibly including Schotty, despite him being castrated a month ago), I have to get some "doggie nappies" to prevent unwanted "fluid damage" whilst she is in the house (although she is very good at keeping herself clean). This also postspones her being spayed for about 6 - 7 weeks. Fortunately, unlike some other females I have known, Lucy doesn't suffer from PMT (or should it be POT - Pre Oestrus Tension?). Interestingly, our vet friend has informed us that Lucy is mostly Viszla (a Hungarian Hunting Dog and one that is "high energy, gentle-mannered, loyal, caring, and highly affectionate. [which] quickly form close bonds with their owners..."). Which explains her sweet nature!

Well, I had better dash, I have to get to the pet shop for supllies. Enjoy the evening

iD

Debs, look away now, for there's train stuff in there...  :O The Spottings of Autumn in the Saxon Lands

And for samples...

I'm not going to say I 'like' this, 'cos I'm quite scared of Debs....................... Oh, Bu&&rit, there, I've 'liked' it, I'll just keep my head down for a while......................

Edited by Adams442T

Back from the dentist. Bit numb...

Didn't do the root canal work on the top, took some more x-rays and did the bottom instead. Back in a week for more root canal work and a crown prep. And a visit to the hygienist. Let joy be unconstrained...

Still, Ioanna said I was brave. Didn't get a lolly though, or even a sticker!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Mine was fitted by the local fire service as part of their fire awareness initiative, and is a non-replaceable battery, as it has a long life lithium cell in it - when it dies, which should be ten years, then you dispose if it in an envirnonmentally friendly way and get a new one.  They didn't tell me about the cleaning business, and this is why we had the rude awakening.  Our last house had mains powered alarms, with backup ni-cads, and they all started to chirp together in a power cut after about two hours. 

Got the shopping, and dinner is now on the go, and it looks as if I'm needed to help there, somehow.

A decent hammer will silence most smoke alarms :nono: :nono:  Our supposedly kitchen friendly heat sensor linked to the other smoke alarms now prvents me from having decent toast - just on the verge of blackening.

Don

On the whole poppy thing and the losses in Normandy in 1944, it's Remembrance Day in France of course, which is a national holiday. Instead of the poppy the French wear a cornflower. A friend on Facebook put up a picture of hers and I asked if she could get me one for next year. She can, but she also posted this, which I think is worth a thought on a day like today:

The longer I'm here, the more I understand why the French are pro-European. Britain lost hundreds of thousands of young men, but we didn't have villages of women and children rounded up and set on fire, as in Oradour. Of course they don't want another war because they suffered so hideously in the last two.

post-17799-0-09755200-1415726033.jpg

A bleuet

Edited by Smiffy2
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

It might be just me but this one looks like it might have come straight from the pages of Thomas the Tank Engine.

Funny that you should have picked the 232! The reply notification e-mail doesn't show any photos quoted, so I assumed you had referred to the 701!  :yes:

• RMweb Premium

My chicken preparation has left the house with a Meditteraean aroma. Aditi requested the spatchcock chicken recipe she did recently. I'm not totally sure whether she appreciated my calling it roadkill chicken. Aditi helpfully informed me the recipe was on the internet. I just made something up.

A friends six year old granddaughter has the same idea, she calls it 'splat' chicken.

• Like 1

Morning all,

Pete you've got a lot nearer what really happens with our very complex weather systems - even more complex here than your side of the pond.  A very simple rule is that air, and hence wind, tends to move from an area of high pressure to one of low pressure (which makes 'simple' UK weather forecasting, er, 'simple' but there are more complexities because of the way air moves in cyclones and anti-cyclones plus the shifting about of the Jet Stream.  Here is a very useful 'starter' from the Met Office which gives a good basic explanation of the effect of the cells in the Troposphere and how they influence air movement -

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/learning/learn-about-the-weather/how-weather-works/global-circulation-patterns

That apart it looks like another exciting (not) day ahead as I'm already deputed to wield the vacuum cleaner and no doubt a bit of shopping from Tesco.  I'm not at all sure which Tesco establishments are losing customers as ours seems as busy as ever!

Have a nice day.

Hmmm.. interesting - I’m not sure anyone takes those Cell Theories so seriously anymore over here. “Trade Winds” for example are very predictive but they don’t seem to follow the cell patterns as you would expect.

Air follows lines of equal pressure and where the demarcations are close together then it gets windy - usually designated by closely packed isobars. There are, however anomalies like Derechos - which occur more over continental areas and therefore quite rare in the UK.

Of course it is far more complicated and chaotic - which is why meteorologists tend to rely on satellite observations i.e. “What happened there might happen here in two days” - but don’t tell them I said that...

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 4

The laptop is much, much closer to having a frisbee experience. Was in a meeting today when a smell of hot plastic while I was working on it prompted me to shut it down.

Working from home tomorrow prior to a visit to the dentist. Might actually get some work done, unlike most of today.

Just back from Remembrance Day ceremony. The war memorial, at the Canadian Legion, is right beside the CP tracks. There were two sets of switchers working the local yard. At 11.00, both sets stopped for two minutes, then sounded their horns at the end of the silence. That seems to be a CP tradition, at least locally. One year, with a strong wind in the right direction, we could hear the horns from the Port Coquitlam yards, a couple of miles away.

Edited by pH
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

A friends six year old granddaughter has the same idea, she calls it 'splat' chicken.

I am not totally sure what it will be like when served. Aditi said she was definitely going to be home at 7.30 but she phoned at just after 8 to say she was just leaving!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I can remember a journey from Canterbury to Solihull on my BSA C15 motorbike. I had to get off every 15 minutes and hug the engine to warm up. I got to Towcester and thought I should have a hot drink as it was something below zero. The cafe in the town centre wouldn't serve motorcyclists. I wasn't sorry when in a warmer time I noticed they had closed due to lack of custom.

You went HOW FAR on a C15?????  Without breaking down???? Wow, world record attempt!

Needless to say my experiences of such a device were not a laugh a minute.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

You went HOW FAR on a C15?????  Without breaking down???? Wow, world record attempt!

Needless to say my experiences of such a device were not a laugh a minute.

It was an upgrade to my BSA Bantam.

Evening all folks,

Just caught up with all the posts and started to write a fairly lengthy one myself but when nearly complete, the site froze on me and when I refreshed it had cleared my post! Too tired to attempt it again having looked after the kids again today - their mum is due back Thursday evening and they have been happy to chat on 'Face Time' with my iPad!

Well done those who observed the remembrance protocol today, and how touching to read pH's post about the CPR locos joining in.

Won't get on my soap-box about the British motorcycle industry, having 'served my time' in the workshop of my dad's bike shop, I have lots of inside knowledge of the malaise that strangled it!

Congratulations/commiserations to those who deserve them, I'm off to finish the nightcap and get some sleep,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 1