The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Good evening, and welcome back Ian OD.

An awful windy and wet day here, outside wasn't much better......

Busy again at work, fixing DCC issues for some folk and sending out lots of trains instead of getting to play with them, very frustrating. Off tomorrow of course, but the weather looks little better so maybe no biking will happen, but modelling might!

I too have a Standard 5 to DCC (for me!) and a 2-HAL, not all the trains get sent out to others!! I do have to continue putting Debs BMW back together also, I was supposed to do that last weekend....ooops.

edit because I can't spell BMW.

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

My laptop was nearly given the frisbee treatment several times over recent months. It was a definite hindrance rather than a help due to slow running. I told them it needed more memory.

After several re images, and a plethora of other tests the ICT people decided it needed more memory.

Works fine now.

They forget I used to be their manager.

• RMweb Gold

Aditi is on her way home. I have dinner at the stage where I can give it a quick blast of heat to serve when she arrives home. I found some duck in the fridge so we are having duck with a blackberry and apple sauce (contains gin), Domme potatoes and peas.

Phone just rang. Aditi hasn't left work yet. I'm sure she will be pleased to get home. Having to send for the college security team to have someone removed from her office isn't her idea of fun.

• RMweb Gold

Beast, hope you can enlighten me, heard Diesel engines whilst in the kitchen mid-afternoon but got to the garden just as what looked like the roof of a 37 disappeared from sight. I assumed it was the RHTT but a pair of diesels rumbled back and forth after eleven at night as well! Would it run twice? Could you advise me on a site which I could look at to save pestering you with such queries?

Yes, they run several times. Pair of 57s on yours I believe today.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/CLT/2014/11/06/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=freight&order=wtt

Change the date for each day. It's set to show freight only - change services to "all services" to show passengers too,

That's a very helpful post, Beast. Thank you - and yes, tell me how to generate one (and how I access it in the first place!).

Think of a phrase which means something to you

For example

beast doesn't know anything about signalling.

Take the first two letters of each word

bedoknanabsi

Replace

a = @

i = 1

0 = 0

bed0kn@n@bs1

For added security capitalise every other word

Bed0Kn@n@bs1

Very simple and an easy way to generate a very secure password.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Sounds like time to retire to me, if they can't be bothered to eject the ranters before they get to her 'they' whoever they are are failing in their duty of care. All employers have it only in education do they ignore it.

• RMweb Gold

My laptop was nearly given the frisbee treatment several times over recent months. It was a definite hindrance rather than a help due to slow running. I told them it needed more memory.

After several re images, and a plethora of other tests the ICT people decided it needed more memory.

Works fine now.

They forget I used to be their manager.

ICT people can be strange. I worked in a college where the Principal considered himself to be a bit of an expert as he had a PC at home. He strongly resisted having a network as he was convinced students could keep all their work on a 3.5" floppy disk. The Principal eventually relented and appointed a series of individuals as network managers whose incompetence was proportional to their arrogance. The IT technician we had appointed for the computing dept soon departed. I went down one day when I was covering a business studies lesson to talk to the network manager about a problem. When I went in there was someone I didn't recognise. So I asked who he was and he said he was the network manager and showed me his ID. I said he wasn't, and he wasn't the person who had been there last week. He insisted he was! Edited by Tony_S

• RMweb Gold

Tony, I'm sure that you will remember the time when the Head of Computer Studies was also the computer technician, network hardware and software manager, ICT equipment purchaser, strategic planner, and ICT help desk as well as being responsible for the whole school use of computers, admin computers, running a department and teaching a full timetable.

It was about then that I lost my hair and sanity.

• RMweb Gold

That doesn't sound too pleasant at all Tony.

I hope Aditi is alright and not too upset by what has happened.

Sounds like time to retire to me, if they can't be bothered to eject the ranters before they get to her 'they' whoever they are are failing in their duty of care. All employers have it only in education do they ignore it.

Aditi is fine. She has had a nice meal and is moderating someone's dissertation.

The college has controlled access to prevent unauthorised access and metal detectors to attempt to prevent authorised persons bringing pointy objects onto the site but if a student decides to rant I suppose it depends on how much one is prepared to tolerate. In Aditi's case it was when the woman refused to listen or leave when asked.

Tony.

• RMweb Premium

Just got back into RMweb thanks to Tony_S  who suggested trying another browser. So it appears I will have to use Firefox in future for access to RMweb and Google Chrome for the rest. I have had problems accessing other sites as I mentioned earlier, perhaps Chrome is blocking those sites so I'll give them a try in the morning.

• RMweb Gold

Tony, I'm sure that you will remember the time when the Head of Computer Studies was also the computer technician, network hardware and software manager, ICT equipment purchaser, strategic planner, and ICT help desk as well as being responsible for the whole school use of computers, admin computers, running a department and teaching a full timetable.

It was about then that I lost my hair and sanity.

I had 7 years working as an advisory teacher supporting IT staff in schools. I did my best to keep people sane.
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I think it's scary that a lot of the children growing up have far more knowledge than I do about computers (and I'm only 21 myself!). Scary when you think about it.

I'm in a great mood today. Spent a few hours today composing a bit of music for our new game trailer - really pleased with it (and so is the client!). I wish I could explain how I make music - I'm sure I'd be a millionaire by now if I could! Now I've just got to spend a couple days making the actual trailer itself. Should be easier now I have the music to fit the action to.

Oh and as for laptops, I spilt a cup of tea over this one a year ago - it survived! (Although the USB ports tend to give up sometimes, not very helpful when you're trying to compose music - it ruins the flow!)

Edited by SouthernRegionSteam
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Yes, they run several times. Pair of 57s on yours I believe today.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/CLT/2014/11/06/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=freight&order=wtt

Change the date for each day. It's set to show freight only - change services to "all services" to show passengers too,

Think of a phrase which means something to you

For example

beast doesn't know anything about signalling.

Take the first two letters of each word

bedoknanabsi

Replace

a = @

i = 1

0 = 0

bed0kn@n@bs1

For added security capitalise every other word

Bed0Kn@n@bs1

Very simple and an easy way to generate a very secure password.

I would probably forget what I had done. I base mine on something from my past which I can remember but would not be meaningful today then do a few tweaks it has to be simple or you will write it down somewhere. I have seen post it notes with a nice sercure password stuck to the side of a monitor.

Don

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I would probably forget what I had done. I base mine on something from my past which I can remember but would not be meaningful today then do a few tweaks it has to be simple or you will write it down somewhere. I have seen post it notes with a nice sercure password stuck to the side of a monitor.

Don

You'd be surprised how quick you get used to it - and you can vary it, so additionally an E/e can become a 3 and an S/s can become a 5, or not as you choose. - once you get your own conversion sorted you can write the password phrase down without worrying - but each to their own.

• Like 1

Evening all,

Great to have Ian (Oldddudders) posting again, I've missed his particular brand of humour, tempered with good advice. I look forward to more bulletins from Le Mans soon!

Beast, thanks for the link, the two 57s did in fact pass us at 3.10pm and I've just heard two diesel exhausts passing at 11.20 tonight! Accurate and informative. Liked your advice on passwords, I learned from contact with a very helpful and knowledgeable chap called Rick Maybury who writes in the Daily Torygraph technology section. He has a website called 'Houston We've Got A Problem' which dispenses help for free. You might have to wait for an answer as its busy, but the information is always good!

Mike (60860), Joanna and I were in St Petersburg a few years back, walking along the canal side when I noticed three 'likely lads' observing passing pedestrians from a doorway. We always walk arm in arm, with Joanna's handbag between us and I keep my valuables in a body bag on a belt inside my trousers. Shortly after passing them, I noticed two of them trotting by at a distance and when they turned towards us brandishing postcards, I quickly realised that this would be a 'steaming' trick - sure enough, a glance over my shoulder showed their accomplice approaching quickly. I simply pointed to him and shouted something banal like 'Gotcha' but it was enough to let them know that they'd been rumbled! He would have cut the shoulder bag or picked pockets whilst we were distracted. I am for ever grateful to my martial arts instructor who ran a course on staying safe when travelling to big cities, particularly abroad. It has certainly paid dividends over the years!!

Another weary night tonight so it's nightcap and hopefully sleep as POET'S day rushes towards us yet again.

Kind regards,

Jock.

And G'night Pete (bit worried about where you learned about 'form fitting PVC!)

Edited by Jock67B
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Morning all! Temperature dropped to about 3°C this past night, so I suppose getting the winter tyres on was not a moment too soon. However, it's looking like the sun is making it through the morning haze.

Happy Poets Day, everyone...

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Quick visit

Jock - a 37 on your train today - use that link, set it to today and in the middle where it says 3Q32 or whatever, click on it and it will show real time info

Here's the 37

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/H31552/2014/11/07/advanced

Refresh (F5) for updates.

And now ...

Rain - check

Hard hat - check

Steel boots - check

Gloves - check

Hi Vis - check

Off to Lakenheath for some scrapping up.

Later all.

• Like 6

Morning all.  I must be a grumpy old git.  Nothing irritates me more than 'enforced jolliness' and it would appear that the Breakfast News is full of it this morning...

Hyped up 'count downs' and cheerleader mentality has no place at this breakfast table….:-)

On the up side, I had a mail that really surprised me.  Jack buys 'TV Choice' magazine for the TV listings each week and has done for years.  Some bright spark decided to revamp the whole thing and I spent ages looking for all the Sports programmes that had been removed from the daily listings and shunted off to their own two page spread buried deep in the magazine.  What a daft thing to do, particularly as the space previously occupied by the Sports listings had been reallocated to 'brain dead' TV channels.

Challenge TV is watched by my dear old Mum and MiL and they'd moved that as well.  Just for the record, I'm not a closet Challenge TV watcher.

I was so incensed, I took pen to paper and told them they were bonkers. (I doubt I was the only one).

Yesterday I had a mail from the Editor in Chief.  Power to the people.  A complete reversal in 24 hours….:-)

I need to have a lie down.  A customer driven business that listens to its customers!

Dear Gordon

TV Choice welcomes back daily Sports listings and Challenge TV!

We hope you are enjoying the new look TV Choice. At eight pages of listings per day it’s bigger and better than ever and remains the best value TV listings magazine in the market.

We have had loads of feedback from you on the new look magazine, most of which was very positive about the changes. We do take this feedback very seriously though and we have listened in particular to what you said about missing the daily listings for both Challenge TV and the sports channels (including Sky Sports, BT and Eurosport). So knowing how much you love your daily appointment with some of the UK’s favourite game shows and daily sports programmes we have reinstated the channels from the following issues:

• From our issue on sale Tuesday 18 November (for programme dates 22 – 28 November), Challenge TV will be returning. 

• From our issue on sale Tuesday 25 November (for programme dates 29 Nov – 5 Dec), all your favourite daily sports channels will be returning to TV Choice alongside the new Live sports planner spread.

So very soon indeed our extra 16 pages a week – all for the amazing value price of 45p – will be working even harder to give you the best listings service in the market.

In the meantime don’t forget you can view comprehensive daily listings for Challenge, Sky Sports, Eurosport and BT on our website:www.tvchoicemagazine.co.uk/your-tv-guide

Regards

Jon Peake
Editor-in-Chief

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 13