The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
the A21, M25, A13 and A407 North Circular was my commute. I either did it by train, or by car

A train on the M25 and North Circular would certainly slow Gordon up.

I see the nights are starting to draw in.

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, Bright one hereabouts. As you want the M25 clear Gordon it looks like I'll have to work from home again. Of course if I were to drive to work I wouldn't use the M25 but that's beside the point.

I gave up trying to play the guitar years ago because my hands were too small. I suppose the fact that I was 12 might have had something to do with it but I fear it's too late to revisit that decision and it's clearly not good for your ankles either judging by the state of Phil!

Ho hum more ballasting on the agenda at some point today. Have a good one all.

Cheers

Dave

Will do Gordon!

That's a part of the world I remember well. I spent a year working at a University in North London, and the A21, M25, A13 and A407 North Circular was my commute. I either did it by train, or by car depending upon my mood and it used to take me about the same time whichever method. About 2 hours and 50 minutes each way. It was a great experience, and it was all I could afford to do at the time (couldn't afford to live in London) but I am not sure I would do it now!

Blimey that's inflation for you. The North Circular was the A406 yesterday....cool.gif

• RMweb Gold

Blimey that's inflation for you. The North Circular was the A406 yesterday....cool.gif

Probably due to all those flyovers near Woodford.

It is a very nice day here. I'll keep clear of the M25 today if it helps. I'll be using it (just the bit between the A127 and M11)at the end of the month though. Matthew and I are going to Nottingham for a few days to help my MiL pack. We have been detailed to transfer the stuff she doesn't want to go in the removal van. I shall entrust Matthew with an electric screwdriver and he can remove whatever needs removing. He may as well learn a few DIY skills on someone else's house!

So it is! I must be going senile. I've been out here too long <_<

Are those "temporary" flyovers on the A13 still there? The ones that go over the roundabouts? They looked flaky when I used to drive over them.

Funnily enough, I was "re-visiting" old haunts on Google Streetview yesterday. I am not 100% sure if I am glad I did or not - Particularly when I lived in Essex, those were good times that now seem a very long time ago.

I am now a huge fan of Streetview - hopefully they will allow it in Germany at some point in the future.

• RMweb Gold
My one regret this week is that I'll not be in Yorkshire or Durham tomorrow to watch Tornado tow Mallard from York to Shildon.

I am there - but still won't get to see it. angry.gif

• RMweb Gold

So it is! I must be going senile. I've been out here too long <_<

Are those "temporary" flyovers on the A13 still there? The ones that go over the roundabouts? They looked flaky when I used to drive over them.

Funnily enough, I was "re-visiting" old haunts on Google Streetview yesterday. I am not 100% sure if I am glad I did or not - Particularly when I lived in Essex, those were good times that now seem a very long time ago.

I am now a huge fan of Streetview - hopefully they will allow it in Germany at some point in the future.

I think the temporary structures now have permanent replacements, some are underpasses. Canning Town flyover is now bigger and there is one at Beckton Alps.

Although it has been rebuilt somewhat the one over Gallows Corner on the A12/A127 is still there. That one was "interesting" to ride over on a motorbike. I can ask my wife about the A13 as she drives along it every work day from Benfleet until she leaves it for East Ham. Lorries breaking down on the flyovers or underpasses add significantly to her journey time.

I moved to Essex in 1977 and I'm still here. I can't see us moving elsewhere. It doesn't have any mountains unfortunately but otherwise we rather like it here.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Morning all!

Now where did I put those matchsticks with which to keep my eyes open? :lol: Some high clouds, but it looks like it's going to be another sunny day. Got an appointment in the afternoon, so I need to prepare for that. But first for some coffee, as usual :) .

Later!

Thanks Dd. I didn't watch but FMR gave the score whenever it changed.

I don't know whether to feel sorry for the French team or not.

They were flown home by 2nd class air straight from the stadium, in disgrace.

Still cold overnight but pleasant days.

Morning all..

Feel sorry for the French? After they cheated to get there in the first place? Not a chance. They got everything they deserved and more...

Public humiliation was so much better and just wait 'till they get home. biggrin.gif

A great win for your lads Don. All we need now is England to do the same.

MiL is here for a few days rest and to see her new abode once more. Whilst you were away Don, she had a change of heart and realised it was for the best. We sold her house within 48 hours for a fair price to a young family who had been let down at the last minute, so fingers crossed that will all go through as well. To be honest, I think she is quite looking forward to her new life.

Come on lads, where were you? The North Circular was fine but the M25 a nightmare at 10.30 in the morning. Seems the whole NW quadrant was one long set of roadworks.

Ha! Gordon. You don't know what traffic congestion is.

Try having a Soccer World Cup stadium on the fringe of the City. Restricted access all day on match days. Major access roads closed. 50000 people all heading in one direction.

Actually, I have not been afected at all. My route goes nowhere near any soccer venue. :D

Morning All,

Quite a nice morning here - sunny, but a little on the cool side. Certainly too cool considering that we have passed the longest day and are now into Summer.

Made a decision yesterday evening - the Mini will live again. She is going to get her engine and gearbox rebuild.

I think the temporary structures now have permanent replacements, some are underpasses. Canning Town flyover is now bigger and there is one at Beckton Alps.

Although it has been rebuilt somewhat the one over Gallows Corner on the A12/A127 is still there. That one was "interesting" to ride over on a motorbike. I can ask my wife about the A13 as she drives along it every work day from Benfleet until she leaves it for East Ham. Lorries breaking down on the flyovers or underpasses add significantly to her journey time.

I moved to Essex in 1977 and I'm still here. I can't see us moving elsewhere. It doesn't have any mountains unfortunately but otherwise we rather like it here.

Thanks for that Tony - It is amazing how you can be away from somewhere for a decade and some areas change beyond belief - whereas others stay the same. Tell me - is there still "half a roundabout" at the Fortune of War?

I liked Essex - I worked in Basildon for two and a half years and lived in Basildon itself for the first six months or so in a company flat. It was just opposite the tractor factory, in a place called Cranes Court (although others knew it as the Basildon Bronx). It was certainly an "interesting experience" living there - but I have very happy memories of that time, I made lots of friends, had a great time at work, and met my (now ex) wife there. For the last two years I was in Essex, I lived in Bicknacre.

Anyway, enough reminiscing! Have a good day everyone.

Make sure you pass those matchsticks round! Up very early as plan to get into work early so I can leave very early to see the England game...

I'm with Gordon. No feeling sorry for the French. They got their comeuppance for the hand ball that took them into the finals!

Let's hope England make it through today.

Good win against Australia in the first ODI last night, with Morgan hitting his century and the winning runs on the same ball.

• RMweb Gold
Come on lads, where were you?

On the M25?

If that's what you found when searching for the French Team I think your Internet search techniques may need some refining. biggrin.gif

• RMweb Gold

Morning All,

Thanks for that Tony - It is amazing how you can be away from somewhere for a decade and some areas change beyond belief - whereas others stay the same. Tell me - is there still "half a roundabout" at the Fortune of War?

The chicane / semi roundabout is still there but the Fortune of War (a pub) went a few years ago and is housing now. Quite a lot of the area near the tractor factory is taken up by Bas Vegas (more officially known as the Festival Leisure Park).

It is of course a beautiful morning here. Matthew has an A level exam (General Studies) this afternoon and I said I'll delay watching the football match until he gets home. Last night he was watching one match on television and the other on his netbook.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, Bright again. It wasn't me on the M25 Uncle Gordon, honest. I stayed home and drank coffee like you told me to. If everyone could keep the A34 and M40 clear today that would be nice as I'm taking a little jaunt up to Water Orton to do a photo reccy. Have a good one all.

P.S. Glad I'd finished breakfast before I followed that link Gordon!

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Shades of The Likely Lads...

How on earth are you going to shut yourself away from not knowing the score...biggrin.gif

I think Matthew will be home for 3.30 so it will only be half an hour delay. Matthew normally walks home from college but I have offered to go and collect him if he wants.

Tony