The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Afternoon all

Following Mike's post, it's a braw day here, sun, blue skies; the follies on Calton Hill looked wonderful this morning from Princes Street.

Not long until the German market later this month - already see that the Daily Express is promising an Arctic winter starting soon and lasting for weeks, doubtless followed by soaring house prices.

Mal

Sunny and cloudless start to the day.

Obergrumpenfuhrer off out on a mission of some description.

Pygmy hippo already departed for work, but managed to forget the xy table which he was supposed to be delivering.

I shall take coffee, dream of cake (I'm cakeless at present) and brush up on my Classics prior to the expected onslaught.

Flicking through earlier posts, I am of the opinion that it is a bit late for Andyram to be taking a pre-reading course!

I also see that Chris Boardman has been on BBC Breakfast berating cycle track design: Something I have been complaining about for some time. Perhaps now an Olympian, a Zeus of the cycling world (See, Classics!) has spoken, the idiots in charge will begin to take notice.

I won't comment on the whisky tasting crisis where Scotland can't get into the top ten. Besides taste is so subjective: I'd rather drink Sheepdip than anything from the Jack Daniel's stable .

I thought Jack Daniel's was sheepdip.

Mike

• RMweb Premium

I remember going to school aged 10 with a sore throat armed with a packet of Tunes so that I didn't miss the trip to the London Planetarium.  By the time we were back in school, with half a packet of tunes, I was in tears and they wouldn't let me go home til home time (which seemed a pretty stupid idea at the time - of course, you grow up and appreciate (?1?) all the H&S issues for the school...) and back then few had telephones (to get news of their young 'uns) ...I spent the best part of the ensuing half term with tonsillitis.  Not fun so sympathies with those who have it.

Funny the things you remember!

Edited by southern42

• RMweb Premium

already see that the Daily Express is promising an Arctic winter starting soon and lasting for weeks, doubtless followed by soaring house prices.

Mal

Ah yes, the annual, let's scare the punters story - usually Nathan Rao who is the prognosticator if this one.

One of these years, they'll get it right, but in all honesty, they find the worst forecast from whatever organisation, and then splurge it as fact - but hey, when did the facts ever get in the way of a good story?

Edited by 45156
  • Like 1

Afternoon all

Following Mike's post, it's a braw day here, sun, blue skies; the follies on Calton Hill looked wonderful this morning from Princes Street.

Not long until the German market later this month - already see that the Daily Express is promising an Arctic winter starting soon and lasting for weeks, doubtless followed by soaring house prices.

Mal

And an ebola outbreak? :help:

I've just booked a short trip to Innsbruck for a couple of weeks time. The Christmas market will be starting and hopefully I'll have time to go to the model railway shop :senile:

• Like 10

Aft'noon all,

A lovely blue sky Autumn day in the Staffs Moorlands....governor duties called first, the polycarbonate sheet needed to make good the window in the early years storage shed had arrived...this was duly fitted but with so much wet wood around sealing the job and refelting the roof will have to wait for a dry spell. Putting the garden to bed for the winter followed with various bags of clay, roots and rubble carted off to the tip. Just the wrapping of one or two semi-hardy shrubs with fleece to do now. A modelling session came next with more sleepering added on top of the Templot test track diagram.

Hope that you've all enjoyed what you've done.

Dave 

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71

• RMweb Gold

I thought Jack Daniel's was sheepdip.

Mike

The refined whisky drinkers will know the 'Sheepdip' to which I refer is a blend of 16 single malt whiskys.

Although I willing concur about JD which can probably be used to kill the lice on a dead maggot.

Good morning all,

Not raining at the moment but it won't last..

I've had a bit of a "well knock me down with a feather & tickle me sideways" moment this morning as "Herself" has informed me that it's a bit silly wrapping up something that I've seen & played with so the"pretty little green loco" is back where it belongs on the layout and will be played with today! (After I take her shopping)

Have a good one,

Bob.

No surprises for you at Christmas!!!!

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

Afternoon all,

Back safely from our hospital trip and the shopping that was added on the way home!

Finally got round to uploading pictures from my recent garden centre trip with great grandson and I've posted a couple here that may be of interest to some of our small steam loco fans. The technical details were on one of my previous posts but I can retrieve them if anyone is interested. (Just send me a PM). Hope they come out OK,

Kind regards,

Jock. 

post-21385-0-52398600-1415034608_thumb.jpg

post-21385-0-79644900-1415034630_thumb.jpg

post-21385-0-09710700-1415034655_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

Oh dear, any later today and I'd be posting "tomorrow" already!!

Busy weekend in the "wintery Minnesota" division of ER.

Got new glasses - ooo, look at all the detail on those locos - now if only I can find that bloody vaccum pipe I lost :O

Saturday I threw common sense out the window and took the plunge visiting "The Great Train Expo", as expected/predicted it was undewhelming, a total of three modular layouts, one each "N", "HO", "LIONEL" (doesn't excite me), especially since they hardly qualified for "exhibition standard" by any stretch of the imagination. My favourite observation was on the "HO", where even though it took a good 40' x 50' space, with some 20+ modules, at one point it's single track, and two crumugeony old-farts couldn't agree on who got the road, the older one (must've been 80 if he was a day!!) insisting on continuing forward, requiring the other guy to have to BACK UP his entire modern-image container freight about 30 ft. which included two rather ignominious derailments along the way, they were in no way "having fun" :jester:

There were several vendors selling PECO track, and one at sensible prices (for the US) even, so I did manage to get 4yds. of code 100 for $4.40 a yd. as opposed to the usual $6. I also got the two remaining points I needed at something acceptable. The only OTHER UK item in existance in the entire place was a rather shop-worn PECO Loco Lift for $20 US. Since I don't want/need one, it was ignored...

Plenty of time spent with choir activities Saturday evening and all Sunday morning, great music but tiring standing that long...

The clocks went back here Saturday night/Sunday morning, so the normal GMT -6 hours was restored to my location, boy it sure means it gets dark early now!! :O

Spent the balance of Sunday on "winterizing" chores including draining all garden hoses and storing, as well as storing bikes out of the way in the garage.

Enjoy what's left of your Monday everyone...

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Just popped back for another visit - just had a call from the dressing clinic, who wanted me to come later in the week - but as soon as they knew that I'd seen the Dr, they said I didn't need to come, which is fine, as the clinic is in the evening, and is quite a way from the bus station and the bus service drops back to hourly after six fifteen.  However, that's the fourth warning that I've had from the medics about lifting, and RESULT - the nurse said that I should refrain from hoovering for at least the next week.

I'm off now, so back tomorrow.

ps - Ian A - I really like your signature pic of the Nelson on the fast line through Weybridge - a sight that I just missed when I moved South, as the CIGs had just taken over the Pompeys and the 4-CORs were rapidly dying out on the Coastway services out of Brighton.

Edited by 45156

• RMweb Gold

I`ve had fun with Google voice; it tries hard, but my {none too} dulcet tones have produced some humorously misheard searches! :lol:

...... and there m'lord rests the case for the defence.

Message for Stationmaster Mike….

I've send you a few PM re single slips.  Either you're ignoring me or my PM's are disappearing into the ether.  

Can you check your mailbox, Mike?…. or just tell me you don't want to talk to me.  :O

Edited by gordon s

• RMweb Premium

One for the ER Hudl subgroup. The voice enabled Google is quite good too!

I`ve had fun with Google voice; it tries hard, but my {none too} dulcet tones have produced some humorously misheard searches! :lol:

Well I've got it charged up and was about to start when I remembered that computer imbecile that I am I don't have wifi!  :banghead:   I can pick up one of my neighbours Sky but I don't want to do that. In fact I've been in touch with my internet provider and they can provide a device that just plugs into the back of my modem.  

• RMweb Premium

Good, er, sort of evening!

Ian A, that is actually a very good price for Peco code 100 - only a few pence more than we sell it for.  $4.40 = £2.75, we sell for £2.72, so maybe it's been a while since you checked out UK prices!! :O  

Managed to watch the F1 this evening, unfortunately a thoughtless person posted the result of quali in his status column so watching that lost it's fun :triniti: but the race was OK I thought.

That's about it really, busy day at work, stock really beginning to move as the C word approaches.

• RMweb Gold

Well I've got it charged up and was about to start when I remembered that computer imbecile that I am I don't have wifi!  :banghead:   I can pick up one of my neighbours Sky but I don't want to do that. In fact I've been in touch with my internet provider and they can provide a device that just plugs into the back of my modem.

No WiFi would limit it somewhat but I am sure you will soon be online with your Hudl once the wifi thingy arrives from your internet provider.

Tony

I've send you a few PM re single slips.  Either you're ignoring me or my PM's are disappearing into the ether.  

Can you check your mailbox, Mike?…. or just tell me you don't want to talk to me.  :O

I wnet downstairs to ask him, but as soon as I mentioned your name he shot under the table and started rocking too and fro in the foetal position

• RMweb Gold

Hello Gordon,

Oddly that is the second PM directed towards me that has not appeared at this end.  I have had a lot of problems with dropping out/being signed off RMweb over the past few weeks and i wonder if it's tied up in anyway with that?

Anyway I'm not ignoring you (nor would I as it might be to my benefit in this case so please try again?)

cheers

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Gold

I think adding more input helps. For instance if I say my wife's name I get a lot of stuff about home and business security but if I say "Aditi goddess" I get all the name information.
  • Like 3

Good, er, sort of evening!

Ian A, that is actually a very good price for Peco code 100 - only a few pence more than we sell it for.  $4.40 = £2.75, we sell for £2.72, so maybe it's been a while since you checked out UK prices!! :O  

Managed to watch the F1 this evening, unfortunately a thoughtless person posted the result of quali in his status column so watching that lost it's fun :triniti: but the race was OK I thought.

That's about it really, busy day at work, stock really beginning to move as the C word approaches.

Neil, agreed "in the grand scheme of things".

However I was/am comparing to a normal street price in my local shop when they have it of $6 + sales tax of .42 so it was $2 cheaper a yard.

My previous purchases have all been in packs of 25 from a Liverpool store that cost me $3.92 a yd. NET and that included the delivery to my door 2-day shipping by DHL! :) THAT is a good price :) and that's todays price. So seeing $4.40 instead of $6.42 was a nice find.

I basically got a spare/extra yard for the same price as the local shop, AND it's new stock - not that there's really much difference when we're talking track :jester: Strangely enough all the sellers at the show (not large by any means) were selling the track at least $1 or more cheaper than my local shop - pity.

...it must be a sign of advancing years that your GP looks as if she's not long out of school...

And in one particular case could have modelled for Vogue or similar (stunning, truly). Then to crown it all the first thing she asks is 'Is your pulse normally this fast?'. She got a little sniffy when I replied on the lines of 'Have you heard of testosterone?'.

• Like 1