The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning all, 

Fussy pets, (cats)my late M-i-L had one that would only eat the most expensive cat food - and would just refuse any other.   Funny thing was though after she died . it was normal  brands  - not the cheap stuff - once he worked out that we were not the push over that she was.  Used to tell him - eat that or go and catch your own.......!

On that note, I shall leave you to enjoy your Sunday as best you can.  Not sure what I'm going to do yet ...apart from getting a burger out of the freezer  for my lunch.

Trev..

• Like 5

My late inlaws had a Yorkshire terrier that they fed on prime meats, even to the extent of taking a pressure cooker with them on holiday to cook the dog's food! Meanwhile they shared a small tin of beans, on toast. When they passed away we inherited the dog and he went straight on to tinned food. When I put his first bowl on the floor he looked at it suspiciously then wolfed it down. Never had a problem with him eating after that. 

• Like 5

Morning all. Grey, slightly damp and sporadically gusty here in the North (Norfolk). Saturday night is TV dinner night, so I've just been outside to deposit various pizza boxes and other armfuls of recyclable material in the wheelie bin. A freak gust of wind took the lot out of my hands and deposited it all around the garden... Mini tornado in Norfolk? Who'd have thunk it? I'm expecting a plague of locusts by about midday...

• RMweb Gold

One dog we rehomed Lockie was very particular, none to keen on dog food but would wolf down 'people food' . If yours are like that try eating the liver strips as a snack while watching TV it could have have them begging for some. On the other hand they could just look down there noses thinking 'you wont catch me eating that!'

Regards Don

• Like 4

Morning all. Grey, slightly damp and sporadically gusty here in the North (Norfolk). Saturday night is TV dinner night, so I've just been outside to deposit various pizza boxes and other armfuls of recyclable material in the wheelie bin. A freak gust of wind took the lot out of my hands and deposited it all around the garden... Mini tornado in Norfolk? Who'd have thunk it? I'm expecting a plague of locusts by about midday...

Shame it didn't blow it all into a certain neighbour's garden!

• Like 1

04.45 start this morning to take Jackie to Gatwick to get the Malaga flight for Pat's funeral tomorrow.  At least the M25 was quiet and we sailed through the M23 chicane, but it still amazes me where all these people come from at 5am on a Sunday morning.  There's another world out there far removed from the retirement one I inhabit.

Still peeing down outside, so it's feed the dogs and then upstairs to do some more on ET.  City v Utd later today, but I'll probably fall asleep..:-)

We haven't owned a dog since our time in Spain (a rescue GSD that had been terribly neglected by a local farmer) but am I right in thinking that chocolate is dangerous for dogs? Our local pet shop sells choc drop treats for dogs and if I'm right, they can't actually be chocolate, can they? Just curious.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, tipped it down most of the night, enough to wake me at times, now dull and damp.To Winchester today hopefully a little less busy than Monday, who are all these people and why are they going the same way as me?  The sky is getting brighter as I type so there may be better weather to come. Have a good Sunday all.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

We haven't owned a dog since our time in Spain (a rescue GSD that had been terribly neglected by a local farmer) but am I right in thinking that chocolate is dangerous for dogs? Our local pet shop sells choc drop treats for dogs and if I'm right, they can't actually be chocolate, can they? Just curious.

You are right allthough most choclate sold in the UK contains very little actual chocolate.  The doggy drops are fake chocolate.

You are right allthough most choclate sold in the UK contains very little actual chocolate.  The doggy drops are fake chocolate.

Thanks Mick - I thought that must be the case.

Chocolate, grapes and onions are dangerous for dogs

From The Dogs Trust

Chocolate and other 'human' foods

• Chocolate meant for human consumption contains theobromine which can be lethal – the darker the chocolate the higher amounts of theobromine. Toxic doses vary according to the size of dog and cocoa solid content of the chocolate. Do contact your vets immediately if you suspect your dog has eaten chocolate intended for human consumption – especially if you see any of the following symptoms; vomiting, a sore abdomen, excessive thirst, excitability, drooling, slow heart rate or convulsions.
  • Raisins and grapes can also be lethally toxic.
  • Small bones such as those from turkey and chicken are obviously not toxic, but should not be given to dogs because of the risk of become lodged in the dog’s throat or splintering (particularly if cooked), potentially perforating the intestinal tract.
  • Onions can cause anaemia, so should not be fed to your dog in any form.
  • Xylitol, a sweetener commonly found in sugar-free foods, has recently been found to be toxic to dogs.

http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/az/p/poisonoussubstances/#.VFX0ovmsV8E

There are chocolate products specially formulated for dogs, though.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Wet out and looks as if it will be for a while.

I don't know what we will be doing today. It won't involve the barbecue. That was yesterday's unplanned event after a freezer tidying session.

Tony

• Like 5

I remember giving our dog "Good Boy" chocolate (presumably fake) drops-looked like Cadbury's buttons-when I was a child. Guess who used to share them with the dog? I can't say they never did me any harm because I don't know!

Ed

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Drizzly miserable day out there, likely to be a 'light the wood burner' day so I'm told.

Chocolate shouldn't be given to cats either and neither should cake - although Henry was fond of both (chocolate type stuff in desserts) and also liked milk (which is also bad for cats) so as he lived to 18 or so he must have been the feline equivalent of a human who smokes 10 a day and has a couple of glasses of whisky every evening.

Now to a much brighter yesterday which was of course enlivened by CakeWycrail, one of the better shows (which is saying a lot as there are some pretty good shows within 30-40 miles of us every year).  Got a good parking space - right at the top of the site but at least on hard standing - and it was still very busy when we arrived at about 11.45 although it quitened down in the afternoon.  Unlike a certain frequenter of this little corner of RMweb I didn't give the traders anything to smile about but plenty of folk to meet and chat to including a number of RMweb types both present and one who is sort of past and, of course, some excellent layouts to watch and enjoy.  All in all a good day out and a longish chat with the man from Elite baseboards proved quite interesting and as Doctor Station Cat said it certainly reduced my excuses if the numbers were to come in around the amount he quoted even if it does leave a good bit less stuffing in the mattress.

Not so good for laddo who came home muttering about the abysmal fireworks at the Round Table's event although the bonfire was good and he had spent a busy time (working hard) in the beer tent.

Hope everyone's day is not too dismal with the current weather

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Rain overnight, but now blue sky and cloud.

The sun is not too keen on making an appearance yet.

Cup of coffee beckons, followed by a traipse with Elsa.

I suspect more gardening duties after that,although I'm hoping for an escape to the workshop after lunch.

A session yesterday afternoon removed the xy table off the mill, and the succeeding tidy up revealed the workshops floor!

I also found my missing reading glasses, on the floor, so my accusations of them being pinched were entirely without substance.

Having said that, I'm convinced a family of Arafs has taken refuge in our hedge after stowing away in the car when I came back from Llanwrtyd Wells a few weeks ago.

They are particularly mischevious, and partial to bright sparkly things which they hoard in their burrows.

Since my glasses are supplied by Dame Edna's optical consultant, I can see the attraction.

• RMweb Premium

I remember giving our dog "Good Boy" chocolate (presumably fake) drops-looked like Cadbury's buttons-when I was a child. Guess who used to share them with the dog? I can't say they never did me any harm because I don't know!

Ed

You know when they are causing you a problem when you start trying to lick

your backside .        :O

• Like 1