The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning All,

Ouch DD - That cannot have been a pleasant experience.  I presume you mean the Shorts 360, which are affectionately (or otherwise) known as "Sheds".  Relatively unusual these days in that the cabin is unpressurised.

Here the weather is somewhat grey, and rather damp.  What you could call miserable, but then it is Autumn!

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

A mild but cloudy start but getting warmer with sunny spells later. Allegedly.

Started organising my railway records on the computer yesterday and locos all done although it took me a long time to enter each item. I'm trying this out  http://www.modeltraincatalogue.com/ which I saw recommended in one of the modelling magazines a while ago.  Starting the coaches today..........possibly

Also still waiting for a parcel........no tracking available on it so could be anywhere! :banghead: 

Got to collect Gemma this afternoon - she's coming to help with Haloween preparations. I believe my help is needed mutilating pumpkins.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 2

Ouch DD - That cannot have been a pleasant experience.  I presume you mean the Shorts 360, which are affectionately (or otherwise) known as "Sheds".  Relatively unusual these days in that the cabin is unpressurised.

Yes - definitely unpressurised but a long time ago now.

Even the bluddy ladder/staircase to get on and off was more flimsy than my loft ladder.

morning all,damp and cool here,managed to get half hour with jack before work,lots of cars tearing up and down some track we put down last night! awaiting the days jobs to arraive,just got one s80 waiting a new dash pod,hope everyones day goes well.

• Like 3

Morning all. Finally "off the hook" with regard to the car carnage. The police have been back a few times to Mr Curtain Twitcher's house so maybe some of you amateur sleuths were right? Either that or he's just making more mischief. I have a rather large Sprinter luton body van on hire next week and as it won't fit on my drive, I fully intend parking it directly outside his house which might somewhat spoil his view from the living room window up and down the street for a day or two... Petty? Me?

With regard to flying, apart from a couple of family holidays to the States, I usually only get on a plane when there has been a beach and cheap lager on offer at the other end. I do remember flying from Gatwick to Crete on a Dan Air Comet on my tenth birthday and being absolutely fascinated by the pre-packaged cold meal that was already stowed in the seat back. The only business flight I've ever been on was from Glasgow to London on a BAe146 with AirUK. Everyone got breakfast which I thought unusual for such a short flight. The guy sitting next to me was a relatively slow eater and I found it quite funny when one of the cabin crew practically removed the rasher of bacon from his mouth in her hurry to tidy away before landing. I know Dan Air are long gone but I assume AirUK have disappeared too, I certainly haven't heard of them since.

Have a great Wednesday folks.

Edit: It's Thursday, isn't it? I keep doing that...

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 9

I heard in the radio news this morning that Government papers have been released from 30 years ago which suggested that psychopaths could help restore order in the country in the aftermath of a nuclear war.  This clearly never happened, as they graduated to running the country instead! :jester:

• Like 2

Business trips. Back in the eighties I was 'looking after' the construction of seven hospitals in Saudi. As they were evenly distributed around the country, it meant I was making four or five flights a week. This was about the time that Saudia started carrying out aircraft maintenance in house! The Saudi pilots were generally pretty good, the worst were ex USAF pilots who occasionally forgot that they weren't flying a jet fighter. On two occasions pilots were led away by security staff on landing after carrying out inappropriate manoeuvres. Flying in and out of Medina was always a hassle, it being one of the two holy cities. In two years I never saw another 'paleface' on the plane. I would be picked up at the airport by a driver. That's when it really got frightening!

The first time I went to Saudi (on BA), there was a bang after we took off from Heathrow. The pilot informed us that there may be a problem with the landing gear and he would keep us posted. Shortly before landing in Dharan, the pilot told us that they had no more info on the problem but the airport authorities had been alerted. In the end we landed safely but, surprise, surprise, security came on board and took away the pilots. I'm sure they were duly released!

The worst flight was in the mid nineties, when a colleague and I were flying out for a meeting with a client. We were flying to Riyadh via Jeddah (on Saudia for some reason, usually BA) and after taking off for the final leg, there was a very loud bang and the plane started shaking violently. This did not go down well with the five hunting falcons that were occupying the rear seats in the central block (I'm not joking!) who started flapping around on their tethers and shi**ing everywhere! The pilot came on and confirmed that they had a problem and the people on the ground were working on it. While they did so, we circled over the Red Sea, the vibration was less when the plane flew level. Control came up with nothing, so we dumped fuel and started a long shallow approach to the runway with our heads between our legs so to speak. We landed safely! After a couple of hours delay we were transferred to another Jumbo but there were fewer passengers this time (and no falcons)! We made it as far as the end of the runway before it was announced there was a problem with this plane. Another two hours and we bordered a third Jumbo, this time it was practically empty, many passengers obviously thinking that enough was enough. No hitches this time, we were just rather late arriving and had hardly any time to take a nap before our meeting!

That will do for now, we'll pass on the weekly commute to Stuttgart (7.00am Monday from Heathrow, returning Tuesday evening)!

The weather today? Very warm (11 degrees warmer than yesterday), dry but overcast.

Hope your day goes well.

John

• Like 8

Morning all - grey and gloomy here. The neurofen was obviously doing the trick with my ankle as I found myself walking at normal speed yesterday evening but didn't take any last night (settling for South African shiraz only) - result - woke up in the night with a sore ankle. So back on the neurofen and with reduced speed/mobility.

Failed to leave a Game card on the kitchen top which will disappoint the elder Lurker as I think the highlight of his day was to try to exchange some pS3 games so that he can fund the purchase of a new one. Sadly for him we had to disabuse him of the notion that he'd get a tenner for each game - he'd be lucky if got a tenner in total. So I guess I know what I'll be doing at some stage this weekend.

Meeting with the auditors later to persuade them all is well with our tax charge.

Hope Stweart's hospital visit goes well.

Business travel - I've done a bit in my time - my visits with the current job take me to Miami and New Orleans (and this year Barcelona) Hard life, I know. My most hectic day was in a previous job when I managed to get the first flight out of Heathrow to Schipol, attend 5 board meetings half way around Amsterdam, and still get back on a flight at 12.30 Dutch time  as this was the last flight I could get that was guaranteed to get me back to pick the elder (at the time only) Lurker from nursery before it closed

• Like 7

Morning All,

As I write I am sitting in a warzone: I have two dogs sorting out their "dominance issues" around my desk (Lucy seems to be ahead on points, at the moment). Like a good Swiss I am remaining neutral.

Makes all the difference traveling First. I actually get some sleep plus there’s that lovely smell of bacon and eggs in the mornings (much better than Napalm).....

Best, Pete.

I did the bulk of my "serious" travelling between 1994 and 2008, by which time BA's "Club World" was pretty good (flat beds, own entertainment system, reasonable food and drink). Given that I spent a hell of a lot of time on BA seats, I soon become a top-tier passenger with BA, which gave me quite a few upgrades from Club World to First. As I mentioned before, Mrs iD also travelled a lot (mostly on Swissair/Swiss) and - to my perpetual annoyance - she was once upgraded to First out and back on a single trip to Asia.

Incidentally, the company sent me business class not out of the generosity of their hearts but because I had to make decisions that would have significant financial impact on the company. And the last thing they would want is for me to bet the farm on Lucky Legs at the 3:30 at Kempton Park because I couldn't think straight due to jetlag.

Well, it seems that hostilities have ended and I'm off to patch up the walking wounded.

Have a great day.

iD

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 2

I heard in the radio news this morning that Government papers have been released from 30 years ago which suggested that psychopaths could help restore order in the country in the aftermath of a nuclear war.  This clearly never happened, as they graduated to running the country instead! :jester:

Lunatics running the asylum? It'll never happen...

Up and at it (sort of)...

Wet and dismal, but not cold. In fact the heating hasn't come on, which for almost-November is pretty amazing.

Expecting Sainsbury's soon, maybe my GBL subscription and then a visit to the dentist this afternoon. Of course the toothache has disappeared since I made the appointment, but I'm due a checkup anyway.

Have a good day, all.

Back to air travel.

In my lifetime it has gone from an exciting adventure to something I detest and loathe.

A built-in waste of time for every trip - no matter how far - because some dregs can't keep their explosives to themselves.

Unless one wants to fritter money away, Cattle Class is the main option and it is designed for those who are challenged in height and circumference.

Any flights in School holidays are unbearable.

The smell of the revolting in-flight meals turns my stomach.

I must have clocked up a huge total of miles in many different aircraft and I resent being treated like some second class farm animal.

Thanks all for the welcome back!  I may not post as prolifically as previously - and will probably miss significant swathes of posts as I've realised I can't possibly read all of ERs every day! Dom - yes, still alive, just been busy!

Hi Mike, good to see you back. I assume you've had a rather busy time with the referendum and all. Were you allowed an opinion?

Ed

I was allowed an opinion, but not to voice what it was... :rtfm: Probably best that I stayed away from ERs as I would have wanted a major grump about some of the elements of the campaigns!  Unfortunately my work "to-do" list has expanded exponentially over the last few weeks too...

Stewart - I sympathise on the nil by mouth. I'm on a self-enforced d**t at the moment so am having to avoid pretty much anything that has taste to it...

Have a fun day if possible

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from north of Ikea on a wet and grey day.   It was my birthday yesterday so it's now only 6 months till i get my bus pass.  However I spent the day very happily mainly railway modelling as I've got 18% of green Ayre up at the chapel.   SWMBO rose to the occaision and cooked a lovely meal and all three of the bloodsucker (offspring) got in touch, they must want to keep on my good side or need some money.   

ID I hope that the dominance issues get sorted out without any permanent injury to the combatants.  In our cat household the dominance issue is simple, the cats are in charge.  However it now looks as if a third heavily armed furball is going to land in just over a week from No 1 son's house so we will expect much hissing and squaring up.  

Anyway SWMBO is now at Weightwatchers and I'm off back up to the chapel to try and get some trains running.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 9

Back to air travel.

In my lifetime it has gone from an exciting adventure to something I detest and loathe.

A built-in waste of time for every trip - no matter how far - because some dregs can't keep their explosives to themselves.

Unless one wants to fritter money away, Cattle Class is the main option ....

I certainly agree about how air travel has changed from something exciting to something drab and dull (although, once you get past the so-called security at the airport, the Asian and Gulf States airlines manage to inject some of the pleasure and excitement back into flying).

Regarding flying "other than cattle class", three observations, if I may: 1) For short hops there is minimal difference between business and economy (on the Swiss "Jumbolino" I fly in to LCY, the only real difference on board is a warm breakfast), so no need to spend money on business for such flights; 2) for Long Haul, it's worth shopping around and choosing your departure airport carefully and in that way you can source some very good business class prices (even better if you don't mind transiting through a second country). An example, Frankfurt, Paris and Milan are easily accessible from where I live, I checked the price of a business class ticket on an Asian airline to KL, by flying out of Milan I would save CHF4000 over flying out of Frankfurt (same airline, same destination); and 3) Sometimes airlines offer very special business class rates that have significant restrictions (which aren't a problem when travelling for leisure). One such fare I found (payable in advance, non-refundable, non-changeable, non re-routable) was actually cheaper than the economy class fare. But such offers do go quickly.

Everyone has their own priorities, and I'd rather divert some of my holiday funds into a better class of air travel and have a less luxurious hotel at my destination, than stay in 5 star luxury and travel "cattle class" there and back.

iD

One other point that occurs to me, I can easily travel by train to FRA, CDG or MAL which means I can also avoid the curse of the intra-European short haul,

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Started organising my railway records on the computer yesterday and locos all done although it took me a long time to enter each item. I'm trying this out  http://www.modeltraincatalogue.com/ which I saw recommended in one of the modelling magazines a while ago.  Starting the coaches today..........possibly

Bob.

Access data base.. mine are currently on an Excel spreadsheet with the photos elsewhere.. may have to add an Access front end to it...

Baz

• RMweb Premium

Access data base.. mine are currently on an Excel spreadsheet with the photos elsewhere.. may have to add an Access front end to it...

Baz

I've got it all on an Excel spreadsheet mainly for insurance purposes but it all seems to work. One tweek i use is to give eacj item a status from 0 to 5.  0 is something on my wishlist, 1 is an unbuilt kit in the wardrobe and 5 is a completed model.  It's nice to upgrade the status at the end of the day and see the average gradually climb.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 4

Yes - each to his own, Doc.

I have a built in waste of time because I choose to live in a very rural area (the nearest shop is six miles away).

Getting to and from Airports is a major add on to travel time.

On occasion someone else has been paying so red carpet treatment but still very boring.

I watched in amusement as folk on a cheap airline who had paid extra for 'priority boarding' had to stand for an hour behind a rope while us plebs were seated until they boarded.

• Like 3

Just had the call I was expecting.  Sadly my SiL passed away this morning.  Much sooner than we expected and feelings are of sadness on one hand, but relief it put an end to her pain and suffering quite quickly.  We're both saddened, but I'm now in practical mode trying to sort out flights to Spain for Jack and her two very good friends to go to Pat's funeral on Monday.  I'll be on dog and cat sitting duties as European countries move very quickly and with half term etc flights and accommodation could also be a challenge.

Carry on with the banter and chat and no doom and gloom please.  Simply a pause for thought in this chaotic life of ours.

Do it today, whilst you're young enough and fit enough to enjoy it….

Don't talk to me about airlines! Ryanair are stopping flying from Derry (our 'local' airport) to Birmingham two days before Warley!!! (it used to be 2 flights a day, this year it went down to 3 flights a week, then .. zilch! I do see they have upped the number of flights from Dublin though. Unfortunately that means catching the bus on the Friday and staying at an hotel either at Dublin Airport or in Birmingham. Ceases to be a relatively cheap trip!

Alternative planning in progress!

John

• RMweb Gold

Baz

You lost me there Barry. I am a complete computer numptyoholic! :scratchhead: 

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

I used to frequent the air motorways between Manchester and London / Aberdeen / Inverness whilst performing software upgrades / installations in various hospitals, occasionally I would drive to Aberdeen and back in a day (720 miles round trip) as we had fully expensed company cars and if it was summer then it was a pleasant, if long, journey - and I had a great collection of glasses - then ... the company changed, flights were for "executives" only and the company cars had gone but the need to travel to site had also dwindled due to better, faster, networks. One day I was asked to go to Aberdeen for a meeting, start time around 11:00. I suggested taking the plane which would get me there and back in a day, cost about £250 (can't remember the exact figures but it's the comparison that's important), this with the cost of parking, taxis etc. brought the trip to about £300 - the customer was happy with this, they were paying but accepted it wouldn't be cheap. But hang on, I'm not an executive so my company barred me from flying, they would I take the train but I refused as travelling a huge distance on the train involves much lugging of bags and generally an uncomfortable journey (despite my love of trains, and besides I'd already done the journey a couple of times) so they agreed I could drive. But, the car is now mine, so I'm going to drive at a sedate so it will take me a day to get there, and a day to get back and with a day for the meeting it would take me out of the office for three days, and require a hotel for two nights. I booked into a hotel near to Aberdeen station and drove up there in a day, stopping near Glasgow for some photography, had an hour or two at Aberdeen, the next day I had the meeting and then spent another hour or two on Aberdeen station, and then drove home the next day - I don't think I stopped as the weather wasn't great. The total cost of this was around £450 and I was out for 2 extra days, as the customer knew I could do it in 1 day for £300 that's all the paid. Therefore the company was willing to lose £150 and give me two days "off" to save a non-executive flying - bizarre,

John (Killybegs) - our software was used in the hospitals in Riyadh (1990s) and other places around the Middle East, can't remember where now, UAE was one - I spent a few weeks working in Bahrain in the hospital there but I declined the Saudi visits.

Small world !

Outside my front door was a man with a parcel containing tubes so I can safely store my signal box diagrams (if only I knew what they were)

Grey here today - but another 56 move to Norwich, hopefully a different one (local rumours are saying it might be double headed 56s - NURSE, the screens !), later so something to look forward too

• Like 9