The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Hmm, business trips, meetings and trainings... I've done more than my fair share of them. The company I used to work for (before it was taken over in a reverse merger sort of way) was very generous with flights, hotels and trainings - not out of the sheer kindness of their hearts, but because they knew that treating us well increased the effective productivity. The 1 day San Francisco meeting was a particularly brutal trip (out Sundal: BSL-LHR-SFO, limo to hotel [you don't want to drive in San Francisco if you can avoid it], dinner, bed, meetings all day Monday, Monday night departure SFO-LHR-BSL, back in the office Tuesday). Medical conferences (meetings, training and a business trip all rolled into one) were fun, but at the cost of loosing the weekend. Mrs iD also used to travel a lot for work and one year, we spent Autumn chasing each other around Australasia!

Now, I'm a boring homebody with two dogs and a model railway to support. Unfortunately, this year's events means that I'll miss Warley due to dogs, work and finances (but I think I'll get the St Alban's show in January)

Time for a quick crossword and bed

Night-night all

• RMweb Premium

Evening, another busy day at work has left me tired!

Mike, the Sea Lion doesn't cost much more, if anything, than a current LGB Krok, but it's a real steam loco!  Your Krok is worth a fair sum, but the oldest versions rather less - if it's one with the metal stamped rods.

Baz, those little 1F's are so nice - sold a couple today and I nearly took one home myself too!

• Like 6

Evening all,  crazy traffic day here too...imagine doing major road works in market town center  with out closing bus stops or market ---- 3 hours to do thirty minute journey! Then to add to the "fun"  puncture just as we got clear of road works,  one artic had got tired so it lay down in the middle of the road for a sleep ( how do you manage to turn a truck completely on it's side on a straight road?) then another that had fallen in ditch .....and just to make the hat-trick a 20 tonner that fully Overloaded had broken springs on one side so was leaning at 45 degrees --- which was the side we had creep by- camera -batteries flat! Bu&&er! 

Nite nite

Trev.

Worst business trip (on paper) that I did was to leave London Sunday, arrive in Sydney on Tuesday morning.  Conference Wednesday and Thursday plus evening entertaining.  Left Friday and back in UK on Saturday.  Could have been a nightmare, but got upgraded both ways, so it was a breeze.

Seems like a lifetime away now...

• Like 7

Evening all. Long time, no visit! Hope everyone's well! I've been keeping up to date on Gordon's progress though, glad to see Eastwood Town coming out of hibernation.

I think between a lack of time, lots going on, and very little of any interest coming out from Margate or Barwell, I lost a bit of interest for a while in the hobby. Got 2001 a couple of weeks ago, though...

Have had a couple of interesting business trips recently, one-night stays on the Isle of Man and Guernsey as part of British-Irish Council work. Nothing as crazy as Gordon's trip down under though.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I never had any awful trips on business. I suppose the worst was a coach trip with "resistant materials" technology teachers for a conference in York. The coach driver seemed deranged and the coach looked as if it normally transported something other than humans.

• Like 2

The week has been up and down with Amber ill on Monday and Sarah ill Monday evening. I did manage to get a few things around the house sorted - we still have unpacked boxes! The rest of the week has been littered with domestic chores, catching up on some of the household jobs that I never find the time for during term time. All thrilling stuff...or not!

Today I have tried to contact my doctor's surgery for an appointment to get a mole checked. Sarah thinks I am worrying over nothing as she believes that I had it all the time she has known me, and I have seen no change in the seven months since I spotted it! I noticed it just after we moved house and I was looking at it from a different angle. It is small, and two coloured, with a clear outline and seems quite symmetrical. As a result it appears like nothing to worry about, but my well known neurotic nature has risen to the surface again and I have imagined all sorts of horrors. It seems fate is falling on my wife's side as despite phoning several times from 8am I never got beyond the engaged tone until 9.30 when I reached the main menu and promptly got cut off.

At least this afternoon we have had some fun. With Amber at my parents for a few hours we have been Santa shopping. Lots of presents bought, including one toy steam train! Result!

Edited by Andy Y
Personal comments removed

Worst business trip (on paper) that I did was to leave London Sunday, arrive in Sydney on Tuesday morning.  Conference Wednesday and Thursday plus evening entertaining.  Left Friday and back in UK on Saturday.  Could have been a nightmare, but got upgraded both ways, so it was a breeze.

Seems like a lifetime away now...

Makes all the difference traveling First. I actually get some sleep plus there’s that lovely smell of bacon and eggs in the mornings (much better than Napalm)..... I liked going to Japan - but before the USSR self destructed the flights were a nightmare via Anchorage and the entire Pacific (not to mention crossing the IDL;  still coming back could be fun when one lands in Alaska before taking off at Narita).

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Glad the mole was ok.  Some years back I developed a mole in an almost embarassing place and Mrs Doctor duly arranged for me to see her husband (yes, Mr Doctor).  He looked at it and decided it would be best removed for biopsy so duly made an appointment for me to visit their other surgery at the other end of Reading.  On the due date I arrived wondering quite how he intended to remove the mole and even more so how comfortable it might be rubbing in the crotch area of my underpants after he'd removed it.

I needn't have worried at all, instead I nearly ran away as having kindly administered a pain killer he approached my nether regions with what I can only describe as a piece of red hot wire bent in a sort of tight loop at the end.  But a quick movement, a mild smell of roasting and he duly missed the family jewels by a sufficient margin of milimetres having not only got the mole but causterising the wound all in one go.  And the biopsy result was quite ok as well.

• Like 2

Evening all,

Haven't read today's latest but..........

Late and knackered on parade tonight but had a lovely day at the amazing garden centre with little Freddie and Joanna - more on that when I'm more awake tomorrow! Lots to hopefully interest Neil on Fraggle Rock and others and if possible a couple of pics.! Nearly over the hump now folks so I'm going to have a sip of the night cap and some sleep,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Not forgetting G'night Pete!

Edited by Jock67B
  • Like 2

Dave(eldavo), got both those pieces recorded on the Sky+ box as part of the concerts shown on Sky Arts! Superb, and thanks for giving them an airing - just got in trouble for waking Joanna (is that bloody thing loud enough?).

There is lots to love out there!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 2

Evening all. Long time, no visit! Hope everyone's well! I've been keeping up to date on Gordon's progress though, glad to see Eastwood Town coming out of hibernation.

I think between a lack of time, lots going on, and very little of any interest coming out from Margate or Barwell, I lost a bit of interest for a while in the hobby. Got 2001 a couple of weeks ago, though...

Have had a couple of interesting business trips recently, one-night stays on the Isle of Man and Guernsey as part of British-Irish Council work. Nothing as crazy as Gordon's trip down under though.

Hi Mike, good to see you back. I assume you've had a rather busy time with the referendum and all. Were you allowed an opinion?

Ed

• Like 3

Morning all, 

Dont talk to me about business trips...I always seem to end up in the strangest places that sound nice - but trust me the inside of plan rooms look pretty much the same world over!    Three weeks in Barbados and  I saw more of the island from the plane going out.....three weeks on a Greek island - it was an concrete one and gas plant! I could go on - but wont!

Enjoy the day as best you can, 

Trev.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. Looking overcast and we're at about 8°C outside. Winter tyres will go on next week, just to be safe!

Evening all. Long time, no visit! Hope everyone's well!

Good to see you back, Mike! Been meaning to PM you these days, actually.

Try to enjoy your day, folks…

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

well im just off to bed, hinksey-claydon last night with 70801 and 66850, back to the hotel for rest then working it claydon to hinksey return tonight

do not disturb sign on the door and all communication devices turned off!L

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

Just logged in while waiting for my transport to the hospital to arrive.  So I've caught up - nil by mouth, so the talk of the smell of bacon and eggs is a bit galling - and the desire for a good cup of coffee is too.

Regards to All

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

Fatchy pog here!

Hope all goes well for anyone visiting hospitals/doctors today.

Hopefully DonBradley is OK and his recovery continues.

NHN yes the 1F is very nice if a little fast!

Have a great day,

Baz

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Morning, operation clean up today as the decorators finished last night, have got used to the smell of paint over the last 3 days. At least its done, hall landing and stairs is always a problem being the main route through the house. So every room bar one has been decorated this year and other half is happy!

Grey and wet outside this morning, breakfast beckons then picture rehanging amongst many other tasks.

Enjoy your day

• Like 6

One of my worst business trips was to London from West Wales many years ago.

Speed was of the essence and I drove like a mad thing to Birmingham Airport and caught a shuttle to Heathrow.

They were using one of those Shorts turboprops and it flew into a bit of sky with no air in it and dropped like a stone.

Passengers screaming as their ears exploded (it felt like) before recovering to land safely.

Deaf for some days afterwards including the exhibition I was attending.

Lots of rain and I'd made the mistake of wearing new leather shoes which gradually seemed to shrink on my feet.

Return trip in extreme discomfort sitting in the crew jump seat in the same aircraft (softly swearing to myself).

• Like 1