The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

well what a wasted day being taught how to tutor! Then being treated to a new training course which, is, to say the least, a bit of M Mouse.

Got back after Leeds show had closed so took children's have a drive layout down and brought it home... early to bed tonight to see if I can catch up on my sleep - will take some BIG tablets befor I go to bed..

Have a safe sunday and a great Monday!

baz

Evening all,

As others was up early and weathering the viaduct at about 07:00. See earlier photos! 

Then a drive over to Swindon, a quick go on the Crazy Golf - how come I can do a Par 4 in less whacks than an 18 hole Crazy Golf course - drives me k-ray-zeee!

Also had a go on the North Wilts Model Engineers miniature railway. Think the trains go faster there than they do on the Mid Hants, although proximity to the ground may give that impression! 

Permission granted to meet a colleague during the week. Venue: SVR. Result! 

Sat here at the MiL's with a log fire going and a glass of wine. Another Result! 

• Like 9

Sounds like one of those computer generated things that everyone thinks reminds them of something that someone's actually sat down and written.

But may be doing some composer a disservice.

Be very careful.......................................

A good soundtrack should provoke the response: "Music? Oh yeah, it was good but I don't remember it..."

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

I found out recently how the composer for "Dead Space" ( a video game) made the music for it. Astonishing! Using chicken wire on top of an old dustbin lid and scraping it with a violin bow!

I produce music electronically (as my link is testament too). I don't hide that fact, and I'm not ashamed. As far as I see it, I learnt to play a piano for 11 years, and as much as I'd love to learn every instrument under the sun, I don't have time (or the money!). It doesn't matter how you make the music, as long as people love it. That I have learnt.

I would have expected the Northumbrian Pipes, though - Jon Lord managed then in the Durham Concerto - the Tourist board manage to get them very effectively into the tourist vids I've seen - it's evocative of the area and has not descended into cliche.

But the whole early thing was so staged - Countryfile may be getting to be just a platform for presenters rather then addressing issues surrounding the countryside as it used to do. 

During the writing of this post I found myself looking for Kathryn Tickell. I've heard her live once, 

Samples from different genres

Any of these would have been more Northumbrian that that which was served up early on in the programme.

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 6

The day did not start well; the Roma blind (one of two in the main bedroom) fell off its fixings as I tried to raise it. Ex and his lady were due for coffee (they've just been on a hellish hol in Arenal, where they moved rooms three times in a week!) so we had to wait until later to invade B & Q. We've bought two blackout roller blinds, in anticipation of the other blind failing!

So, that was Ian's afternoon planned out. The next challenge was reaching the baton - it's a high ceilinged room with windows set up high. Eventually, we settled for two dining chairs facing each other with my little set of steps balanced between them and me holding on to steady them, all the while hoping that this activity would not cause a recurrence of Ian's vertigo. My ex's drill was already on loan to us for picture hanging but none of its drill bits was usable, causing Ian to settle for a long wood screw (calm down at the back!) as a quasi drill bit.

After much effing and blinding, some aimed at Sunday afternoon strollers gawping at us through the window, a very good result was achieved.  

As a reward, I drove us to Ian's favourite pub - "The Drum" at Cockington, where he enjoyed a well deserved couple of pints. And now he's cooking liver for dinner .... I have a cold, so am excused (most!) domestic duties. 

Hope your Sunday has been more restful!

Edited by Ashcombe

Speaking of background music, when I was teaching multimedia a student produced a reasonably good video on their webpage of craft card making - using curled paper. Some of the designs were rather attractive.

She'd put in background music. 

I asked her what the music was - she said "It's classical - I know you like classical."

"Do you know what it is?"

"No."

"Do you know what it means?"

"No."

"It's the Dies Irae from Verdii's Requiem."

"Oh."

"The words are 'Dies Irae, dies illa'."

"Oh?"

It means 'Day of wrath and doom impending'."

"Oh."

"is that really appropriate for such as fluffy, cuddly subject such as greetings cards?"

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Laptop update the last. (I hope!)

I am communicating via my back up machine and have at last installed everything I need and it all seems to be working OK. (Providing this post...er  ....posts)

The only problem I had this evening was with the wi-fi connection to the printer but the threat of a large hammer axe seemed to do the trick. :butcher:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Evening all.

I survived the gutter cleaning, a bit dodgy 25 feet up and leaning back from the wall, the slightest move makes one twitch (no more info on that), so I didn't risk it and decided to buy some stand offs to fit the ladder and make it safe ! - I'm not afraid of heights, just falling from big ones.

I was bemused by the gap in the gutter, which explains the water fall, as everything seemed to be in place and the gap hasn't always been there - hopefully being able to see down into the gutter rather than fumbling around above my head, and therefore blind, may help, I suspect some bits have shifted but are hiding it well.

It was dark at 16:40 today, 16 !!!! 40 !!!!! - ho hum.

At least tomorrow it will be light and therefore, assuming it runs on time, I'll be able to photograph the morning RHTT through DISS (it's due at 07:36)

Yes - Red Setters are generally loopy.

I had a friend whose red setter used to be brought home daily by the local taxi firm after escaping.

The one I shall be minding is huge for the breed - very tall - but narrow across the beam.

Loves rough and tumble.

There go the ornaments.

Background music: I recognised some music on Antiques Roadshow.

Can't remember what it was though.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I'm not in the habit of posting modelling pics - objectors, please turn away now, just in case you're offended! - but when painting a quayside figure it reminded me of someone I know.  Later, I had one of my silly ideas and, when following it up, I came across the face of folk singer George (Pop) Maynard.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-_liDvz1YG20/UF1-Zs88LOI/AAAAAAAAAzQ/BIUQk4WxUjQ/s1600/Pop.jpg

Definitely got to do it! Added! And here he is, Mr Derek (Finished the Job) Dunnett* posted here in honour of ER's bearded gentlemen.

post-14049-0-19639600-1414367284.jpg

Details of George (Pop) Maynard here:

http://the-quaffer.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/just-another-saturday-night-sussex-1960_22.html

* Full name is fictitious and based on his stance and probable position of marine businessman or foreman, Derek originally from the Germanic for "people-ruler".

How I did it on Ray's Camel Quay thread.

:offtopic:  Normal service will resume shortly.

Polly

Edited by southern42
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Evening all.

I survived the gutter cleaning, a bit dodgy 25 feet up and leaning back from the wall, the slightest move makes one twitch (no more info on that), so I didn't risk it and decided to buy some stand offs to fit the ladder and make it safe ! - I'm not afraid of heights, just falling from big ones.

I was bemused by the gap in the gutter, which explains the water fall, as everything seemed to be in place and the gap hasn't always been there - hopefully being able to see down into the gutter rather than fumbling around above my head, and therefore blind, may help, I suspect some bits have shifted but are hiding it well.

It was dark at 16:40 today, 16 !!!! 40 !!!!! - ho hum.

At least tomorrow it will be light and therefore, assuming it runs on time, I'll be able to photograph the morning RHTT through DISS (it's due at 07:36)

Had enough of early mornings for one week, ta!.  Saturday morning, on our way to the Hazel Grove MRE, we passed "our" RHTT at Chester going back from whence we came (around 08:18).  I forgot to mention it in my post on getting there.  Now you know, as they say on How It's Made.  And now, I bid you good night.

Polly

• RMweb Premium

Morning! .....or is this "Middle of the night"?

Woken by my shoulder/upper arm pain so another ibuprofen and hopefully more sleep.

Strange the amount of traffic at this time of day seems to indicate others are also up and about.have a good start to the week!

Baz

Morning all, 

(well  it is here!) Clocks dont change . Not much to report so far, though I did think about doing some modelling yesterday .....but that as far as it got!   

Lets hope all our Mondays go well, 

Trev.