The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon, late riser.  Well we have been out for lunch with John and Anne,  standard pub fare I'm afraid, iD!

Windy and showers here, plus an empty wallet as we have just ordered a Tempur mattress - they're Marmite things, but one in particular just seemed to be so much better than the other 50 or so we have laid on this last two weeks!  60 money back guarantee makes it a little easier to stomach.  It would have bought a lot of trains.........

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

Tesco was shopped - cost a good few quid, saved quite a lot of quids - and have a suitably stocked wine cellar to last a month or two in 'everyday' drinkies.  Garden centre was visited - plants bought (some since planted by the gardening staff), gungy world of Christmas visited and some purchases made of various cheapish items with which to copy something they had which was ludicrously priced, cafe was duly tried as the latest 'new management' looked quite presentable and an excellent tomato & basil soup was forthcoming.  Good job it was my main pension pay day yesterday.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

just back from Leeds show where I did note one or two RMwebbers...

weathered some wagons and a loco .. had a great lunch including treacle sponge and custard  an apple.

Christmas books and work supplies procured.. off out for tea then tomorrow.. I am off to an ECB ACO training day (frabjoy!) - then back to Leeds to take my "Hornby Trakmat/childrens' have a go layout" apart..

and Pete (aka dad) - no my mum was from County Durham and was blessed with a great Christian name.."Asenath".. always called Zen!

baz

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

That's not silly, perfectly rational explanation for the way you kicked yourself out of bed. Who hasn't wanted to take direct action against inconsiderate hotel guests? Bonus points for it being the batwinged blunder.

This reminds me of that Star Trek themed dream I had some years ago! I had joined the USS Voyager crew on a mission to combat some kind of a sentient disruption to the space-time continuum which involved us raiding a mediaeval castle using an assault buggy. I do remember it was an exciting mission involving split-second timing!

• Like 2

This reminds me of that Star Trek themed dream I had some years ago! I had joined the USS Voyager crew on a mission to combat some kind of a sentient disruption to the space-time continuum which involved us raiding a mediaeval castle using an assault buggy. I do remember it was an exciting mission involving split-second timing!

Amazing what soldering fumes can do :jester:

Edited by Coombe Barton

• RMweb Premium

Hmm. If I ended up on Voyager in a dream, sod the castle and the assault buggy... I'd rather try my hand at *assimilating* Seven of Nine.

"Dirty Old Man" mode off.

Your nanoprobes more powerful than theirs? :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Went to the swap meet at Brentwood today, found a couple of bargains. The Oxford modern heavy trucks, the low loader with 8 wheel tractor unit and  the container truck, £7:50 each unboxed with minor damage but the bits broken off are there and easy to repair, they're going into the 'chop box' with the other bits for conversion to something else. Whilst I was out the post arrived, including some vouchers from Tescos, these were all money off/extra points for books, magazines and CD's, a handy one is 100 extra points when more than £5 is spent on magazines, and it can be used up to 5 times before Christmas. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Malwarebytes worked and cleared infection.

Thanks for the recommendation - I installed this today and just after my antivirus (Avast) had done a full system scan Malawarebytes found 76 more threats that AV had missed. Shows the value of multi-layer security!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all,

Clocks going back tonight and on the only day of the week when we get a lie in here. Result!

It's been a busy day here. "Blue @rsed fly" is, I believe, the phrase that best describes it.

So, that in mind it was great to get some time to put the arch details on my viaduct. Drain pipes next. 

Were off to Shropshire tomorrow and I've found a model shop that I've not previously come across; "just popping out dear - I may be some time!" :)

Hope all your weekends are going pleasantly. Andy

• Like 10

I used to have a Ford Thames 15cwt van that I converted into a camper (well sort of, it had a bed and a cooker). That engine cover between the seats could get pretty hot, I wouldn't want to sit on one for too long. It was a bonus in winter but it could get uncomfortably warm inside in the summer.

My father bought a Comma Dormobile in about 1962, which also had the engine under the middle of the three front seats.  Initially this was a popular place to sit for me and my 3 brothers, as we got a view, but when this poor underpowered (it had a 1500cc engine only) vehicle was driven over Pyrenean passes from France into Spain one summer, it became known as the 'Hot Seat' for very good reason!

Today spent with a trip on the 'Ratty', as we had some Tesco coupons about to expire.  Travelled up the line behind Northern Rock, then Mrs G and I walked further up the valley to the Hardknott Roman fort, which I had never visited before.  I had to feel sympathy for poor Roman soldiers plucked from southern Europe into a rather inhospitable landscape and climate.  The rain just about held off until we were back at Boot when it poured down, so we got rather wet and cold!  Return journey was again behind Northern Rock, which hardly had to work at all going back down the valley. 

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

My father bought a Comma Dormobile in about 1962, which also had the engine under the middle of the three front seats.  Initially this was a popular place to sit for me and my 3 brothers, as we got a view, but when this poor underpowered (it had a 1500cc engine only) vehicle was driven over Pyrenean passes from France into Spain one summer, it became known as the 'Hot Seat' for very good reason!

Today spent with a trip on the 'Ratty', as we had some Tesco coupons about to expire.  Travelled up the line behind Northern Rock, then Mrs G and I walked further up the valley to the Hardknott Roman fort, which I had never visited before.  I had to feel sympathy for poor Roman soldiers plucked from southern Europe into a rather inhospitable landscape and climate.  The rain just about held off until we were back at Boot when it poured down, so we got rather wet and cold!  Return journey was again behind Northern Rock, which hardly had to work at all going back down the valley. 

The Romans are known to have had Nubian soldiers stationed on Hadrian's Wall. Very few Roman Soldiers came from Rome itself or for that matter even Italy.

Evening all,

Looks like I might have a bug thanks to the impaired immune system so I need to get some sleep. Thought I better post though as -

Pete(trisonic), just heard that Jack Bruce has died age 71. RIP a great guitarist - remember when I ran the Renault dealerships, he re-released 'I Feel Free' to back the advert for the then new Renault 21. Sad loss!

Unlikely to sign on much tomorrow due to feeding an army - I'll try to catch up Monday,

Kind regards,

Sad Jock.

G'night Pete!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all though it'll be bedtime with the annual extra hour lie sleep in.

Good day at Hazel Grove MRE but I fell asleep after dinner so only now posting some transport pics. Yes, we went by train - only two changes each way, on this route, and cheaper with the Cheap Day Return on the Bangor-Chester section rather than the whole trip under the Off Peak Return!  Worth the trouble to do the research and timetable checking.

Couldn't resist another Pendolino pic, Crewe-Stockport.

post-14049-0-35921200-1414279318.jpg

The free shuttle service to and from the venue.  What friendly and jovial driver and conductor we had - and in very smart uniform too.  Much appreciated.

post-14049-0-69498500-1414278769.jpg

And on the return saw this pair in the bay.

post-14049-0-54838700-1414279340.jpg

Someone else caught them from the other end.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3946/15603133476_072d7ccc08_z.jpg

Home in daylight - at the same time today it'll be dark!

post-14049-0-61215300-1414279648.jpg

Polly

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Far too early but woken by little Herbert coming home and my tendonitis in my shoulder!

Just waiting for pain killer to kick in so a quick scan of RMWeb to see what I have missed!

Baz

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. Time shift messed up my sleeping pattern, it seems. Therefore, coffee brewed and various railway pages browsed to in order to evade tossing and turning in bed. You gotta go with what works, after all!

Enjoy your Sunday, or at least try to!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Well, as I'm off for a few days I'm going to risk posting a couple of photos now that the viaduct has been weathered. 

Going to spend some time thinking about the station building architecture.  

Maybe source a couple of building kits whilst up in Salopshire.  

post-4299-0-91520400-1414309539.jpg

post-4299-0-82301100-1414309563.jpg

Have a nice rest of the weekend everybody. 

Andy

• Like 10