The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Bring back the 80s!

Now you are talking. Saw her at the Hammersmith Odeon back in the 80's. One of the best gigs I have been to. Couldn't hear much for a couple of days though. I have a DVD of the same concert recorded in the States but it's in US format so I have to play it on my laptop (with headphones of course!).

John

• Like 3

I  only suffered school lunch for the first week at secondary skool.... point blank refused to eat . So ended up making my own sandwiches, but of course that caused row with the school authorities. As several of the "first year" followed suit!.  Time best forgot ,school days were not the "happiest of my life" ! 

Trev

I put up with school meals for the first three years, then in my fourth year managed to get into the school cross-country team. Cross-country and track and field were treated as major sports, and I argued that I needed extra training to keep up with the older lads; I was allowed to go out for a run then have a sandwich later.

Another side-benefit of the X-C was that I avoided peer-pressure to smoke - that I loathed the stink of cigarettes wasn't enough, but "Oh, yes - tha doesn't 'cause tha'rt a runner" was.

• RMweb Gold

Are you going to use them for anything on the recipe page?

Once they are dried, they get bagged up and can last much longer than stored fresh fruit.

We have not tried to rehydrate anything yet

I've used the dried apple as a substitue for mixed fruit in Welsh cakes, as well as being eaten as a snack straight from the bag, but no plans for anything from the recipes thread.

What about some squirrel jerky?

Evening all,

Think the chemo is making me very weary right now as I'm going to have to turn in - just fell asleep on the sofa! Try to post in the morning but couldn't go to sleep without a G'night Pete!

Hope you are all over the hump,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• RMweb Gold

I liked all that stuff!

But then I used to like custard over my mashed potatoes...

Best, Pete.

Dunno about custard on mash but I love semolina (with strawberry jam stirred in) and quite like tapioca.  Went right off rice pudding at one time but as Mrs Stationmaster can do a good one I'm back into it.

• Like 3

Dunno about custard on mash but I love semolina (with strawberry jam stirred in) and quite like tapioca.  Went right off rice pudding at one time but as Mrs Stationmaster can do a good one I'm back into it.

He's got some funny habits, our Mike ...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dry and warmer start today (12oC) and should be brightish to start with but light rain or drizzle to come.

Our school dinners on the whole were not too bad. I suppose it helped that they were cooked on the premises and not at a central kitchen like some schools in the area. I didn't (&still don't) like hearts and although I do like cabbage the school version of a pale green watery mushlike substance boiled to destruction was not to my taste. I think my late MiL must have taken lessons from whoever cooked vegetables like that. She also incinerated all joints of meat as well. I thank my lucky stars that Chris does not cook like her mother in any way whatsoever. . (that was one of the reasons I married her!) :yes: 

No domestic stuff today so I may be visiting Hobbycraft for one or two bits & pieces.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 3

Morning All,

Ugh!  School dinners - If the kids today had to eat the sort of stuff that we had to eat, then I am pretty sure the Daily Mail would be writing about it! :rtfm:

The food was generally abysmal, but one of the things that I absolutely couldn't bear was baked beans.  They made me physically gag when I ate them - of course we had to have something of everything, and everything on the plate had to be eaten.  I would question the educational value of this - but those were the rules.  Of course, the offending leftover beans would then make an appearance in the next day's stew. :tongueclear:

I still can't bear the smell of baked beans to this day - let alone eat them.

I am not sure how the weather is going to pan out today.  The forecast said changeable.  It is dry at the moment, but cold.  I finally had to switch the central heating over to winter mode last night!

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 1

Good morning all, 

Seems that my GF's daughter  was one of those  "locked down" in Ottawa yesterday,her office only being a couple of blocks from the center of the incident!. Not much else  to report from here  at the moment, but who knows what the day will bring?

Lets all try and make the best of what life throws at us today. 

Trev.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. Dull and dreich again. Autumn's finally here…

School lunches – that's something we didn't have in my time. Though I'd have to add that in those days, we did not have afternoon lessons on a regular basis since lessons mainly took place roughly between 8 am and 1 pm, so that the majority of students could be home for lunch. Lunches were slowly introduced around the time I finished secondary school and seem to have become standard only after that. I suppose this will also have to do with the changing working hour patterns for parents.

Have a good one…

Not quite as windy but still wet, a sort of driving thick sea mist! Forgot to take the torch with me this morning so had to keep a close eye on the dogs over at the beach. It's just as well the labs aren't yellow, otherwise I would never see them against the sand! 90 minutes later and it's just starting to get light. Do the clocks go back this weekend? I hope so!

Stay safe.

John

• Like 4

School meals were part of an ongoing battle at my school.

If you could face the food offered, the rumble of an open salt container sliding along the refectory table kept one alert.

If someone was too slow to lift the plate, they were left with a white mountain of salt on their lunch.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It looks a bit gloomy out but not raining or windy.

. It's just as well the labs aren't yellow, otherwise I would never see them against the sand! 90 minutes later and it's just starting to get light. 

Robbie's blue roan colouring seems to be perfect camouflage in poor light at dawn or dusk. I rely on him finding me, though his pair of orange glowing eyes running about is a good clue.

The dog was definitely confused last night as Aditi and I watched television together. Aditi was very keen to watch Status Quo's "Aquostic" performance. This meant she started her "homework" at 9.30. So I thought that might be a good time to download the latest operating system for my Mac Mini. After a couple of hours it still had 5 hours to go, so I just left it, I'll have a look in a minute.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

This comes courtesy of free east coast WiFi on...an HST..

Train left Leeds on time after we were treated to the DRS 20304/305 whistling there way through platform 5in Leeds with the Sandite train.

Could get used to this first class lark.. Just waiting to order my full mashings free breakfast!

Have a great day everyone!

And yep clocks change this weekend as its our railway exhibition in Leeds!!!

Baz

Your on train reporter.....

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

OS update "about 22 minutes remaining". It has been saying that for quite a while now. Just a comment not a criticism.... I wouldn't want to be whisked away by stealth helicopters for re-education.

The food was generally abysmal, but one of the things that I absolutely couldn't bear was baked beans.  They made me physically gag when I ate them - of course we had to have something of everything, and everything on the plate had to be eaten.  I would question the educational value of this - but those were the rules.  Of course, the offending leftover beans would then make an appearance in the next day's stew. :tongueclear:

I still can't bear the smell of baked beans to this day - let alone eat them.

My recollection of them is that they tasted of vinegar - and nothing else. I wonder why?

“Dinner” tickets at my school when I attended were 1 shilling or the equivalent of 5 pence.

Actually what I resent more than anything is the years spent trying to work out sums in Pounds, Shilling and Pence and then simply throwing all that out of the window almost as soon as I left. What a waste of freaking time.....

Best, Pete. 

• Like 4