The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Did you have to ask for the skin? That was traditional when I went to skool...er....that must be...er...let me think....er...um....oh, yes, a lifetime ago....and chocolate pudding and chocolate custard was a favourite....and we used to fight (i.e., who wielded the greatest charm over the dinner ladies - well, something like that!) to get a decent portion of skin especially if you were lucky enough to be at the front of the queue.  Not sure I'd want chocolate custard now, though, but a supply of B'rds regular custard is kept in the cupboard - not keen on the instant stuff, though it is handy if you're short on milk.

Polly

I always won the battle for the skin - my mum was the dinner lady.

Quick short story.

I was going to leave but now I'm not - if anyone wants more info PM me and I'll tell you the details.

Have a good day all.

I think the only offal I recall at school was liver. I suspect other offal was disguised as faggots or rissoles.

My grandfather (the crazy one) always used to have two lambs brains on toast for his evening meal on Mondays.

Tony

To this day I cannot eat liver school liver - grey sawdust uch

I am getting stronger, slowly. With physical assistance I am able to walk to the dining room.

The care and attention of  the staff to residents is unbelievably outstanading

The catering is First Class!

Glad to hear you're making good progress Don :) 

Thanks for the input and support, folks.

Lucy was found abandoned and  with one of her puppies.

How sad :( horrible what some people will do to animals. I'm very much of the opinion that animals can no more consent than a child could, perhaps less so, so punishments for animal cruelty should be much much harder.

But, glad Lucy has found a loving home, that there are people who'll take in rescue animals and give them the love they need is wonderful imo :)

Southern EMUs...excellent choice. Oh for a 4-COR though in RTR form for some instant gratification! :senile:

I grew up with them going by either side of where my parents lived (near Dartford), but can only really admit to remembering the EPBs and later the Networkers.

Current plan is for a small simple 2 track line (with level crossing and spur for wharf/docks) based upon the Woolwich Dockyard area, set around the time of the Networkers being introduced. So currently making a stab at a 4EPB to go with the Hornby 466 and Bachmann 2EPB I have, then to think of relevant freight. The plan is to make it modular (with baseboards built by Tim Horn) and all fixtures (where possible) removable to make storage easier (1bedroom ground floor flat presents problems in that regard!) and to allow changing of line/era for extra interest, ie going back to the 3/4SUB and steam, though obviously with fixed 3rd rail it limits how far back it can go.

• Like 4

Aft'noon all,

Following hard on the heels of our Ofsted is the SIAMS inspection of our church school. This takes place tomorrow and will involve a quick dash from work...an even quicker run through the shower/change of clothes and hurrying to school to meet with the inspector. We are in interregnum just now, which adds more pressure to those with church/school link functions due to the lack of a priest figure. Thankfully a solid Ofsted result builds on good relationships between school and church to make a positive outcome much more likely.

Dave 

• Like 1

Quick short story.

I was going to leave but now I'm not - if anyone wants more info PM me and I'll tell you the details.

Have a good day all.

I’m glad you are hanging around, Dave.........

I’ve often thought of leaving because I spend too much bleeding time here  - not because of any assclowns... They are all-pervasive in every aspect of life.......

Best, Pete.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Quick short story.

Have a good day all.

My Mum was a dinner lady, too, but I don't remember her on custard duty. 

She then went to the local senior school but when I went there, she had to leave - no family members (favouritism) allowed or whatever the excuse was.  Trouble was, all the other dinner ladies knew me so I was spoilt at dinner time, anyway.  :D

Talking about dinner, better get going on ours.

Polly

Edited by southern42
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

My Mum was a dinner lady when I was at infant school I don't recall special treatment at dinner times though. When I gave blood I was younger, fitter and not taking tablets so I don't think it made me any slimmer. Yesterdays collection was for my upcoming MOT I think......

• RMweb Gold

Readers whom are known to prefer minimal wastage of foodstuffs, will be pleased to know that the latest batch of apples(as was the last lot) once processed, had the skins and cores stewed, the juices drained and they are now  port apple jelly and cinnamon apple jelly.

On the way back from walking the dog, I found a tree belonging to a local farmer loaded with apples, and he doesn't want them (I asked him).

I am now minded to process some of these over the next few days at is would be a shame for them to go to waste.

The Obergrumpenfuhrer is off to Llandudno again tomorrow, and I've just been reminded to pick the last of the raspberries.(yellow variety).

These too will be dried off, as they'll last so much longer and make a nice supplement to porage or meusli at breakfast time over the next few weeks.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Now off to process some apples...............................that's core, skin and slice, then put them into the fruit dryer...............Not stuff them into my face whilst raw!

Are you going to use them for anything on the recipe page?

FWIW I hated, loathed and despised skool dinners, Put me off cheese and salad for life, and I remember the conversation with Mum every day: "What did you have for pudding?"----------"Cake and custard"-------------"Again?". There was also a concoction with corn flakes held together with Evo-stick.

The absolute worst thing was scraping the left-overs into the pig-food bins using those plastic scrapers.

Sorry to disagree

Ed

• RMweb Premium

FWIW I hated, loathed and despised skool dinners, Put me off cheese and salad for life, and I remember the conversation with Mum every day: "What did you have for pudding?"----------"Cake and custard"-------------"Again?". There was also a concoction with corn flakes held together with Evo-stick.

The absolute worst thing was scraping the left-overs into the pig-food bins using those plastic scrapers.

Sorry to disagree

Ed

They certainly put me off certain things for life.  Rice pudding on a Wednesday.  Though part of that was because of a sadistic housemaster who wouldn't give out small portions and delighted in forcing us to eat what he served. 

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208

I won't ask for the story because frankly it's none of my damn business but just to go on the record and say that I for one am rather glad you're not going anywhere. I'd certainly miss your pictures and not least your knowledge of all things East Anglian and railway-related. Whatever occurred, I'm sure it's not worth it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Pete

no  I don't eat hearts - her indoors likes them (and I suspect sister drac lives on them.) But I do like liver, kidney, brawn etc ...

but the thing I disliked most was "Semolina" -- you could turn the bowl with it in upside down and it didn't shift.. often used to "glue" things back together!!

happy days!

and tomorrow I am off to the great metrolops to be part of the Challenger 2 Project delivery reunion....... Hope East Coast Trains don't muck it up like last year!  but i have managed to get First class both ways for a lot cheaper than standards class....

off to the Leeds MRS to "prepare" for this weekends show....

Baz

• Like 8

Wasn't that semolina with little bubbles?

No that was left over (proper) decorators wall paper paste! 

I  only suffered school lunch for the first week at secondary skool.... point blank refused to eat . So ended up making my own sandwiches, but of course that caused row with the school authorities. As several of the "first year" followed suit!.  Time best forgot ,school days were not the "happiest of my life" ! 

Trev

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Quick short story.

Have a good day all.

I'm glad you're not leaving, too.  Besides, I'd miss that cute avatar of yours.  :mosking:

Polly

• Like 1