The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

A friend of mine came perilously close to meeting the same fate. Fortunately he'd stopped to talk to a neighbour just before the tree came down in his path.

The wind had died down here and it seems the fence is still intact. It's a tad chilly though.

All this layout talk is a bit worrying. Makes me feel like I should build one (or possibly two because I can't see 21st century Austria and the LNER co-habiting).

Wasn't during this storm, but a few years ago when my daughter was still a toddler we drove round to see a friend. A few minutes after getting out of the car a tree came down and landed on the car's roof. The worst bit was probably that I'd seen the home owner walking up the lane by the tree a few moments beforehand....and couldn't see him afterwards...after a fruitless search under the tree I was just working up to searching in the adjacent storm-swollen river when I saw him walking nonchalantly back down the lane! "Hi, Andy, what are you doing?" "Looking for you!"

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Morning all training today so a flying visit to the office for printing and then off to training. I went for bleeding yesterday but there was no mention of starving beforehand I just hope there wasn't much sugar in the blood. I have put back all the weight I lost so back to dieting and exercise until it is all gone.

Mick, I've often wondered if blood donoring is potentially a form of dieting. 

We know that the body requires a lot of energy to repair damaged tissue - that's why forms of exercise (e.g. stomach crunchies) that damage tissue are effective.

I was wondering if you physically remove tissue, i.e. blood, if there's a noticeable loss of weight (over and above the weight of tissue taken), or an increase in appetite to re-build the missing tissue in the days after?

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dry and fresh start (7oC at 5.00am) A sunny morning is forecast then getting gradually cloudier & breezier but should stay dry.

Not sure at the moment what I'm going to do today.......... 

have a good one,
Undecided of Sutton.

• Like 6

Morning All,

Just back from dog walk. Lucy has some serious anger management issues. We know she nips (the Vet called her a "witch" and said we need to nip it in the bud [no pun intended]) and today she barked aggressively at an old lady and at a man in a suit. How much of that is from the stress of being in an animal shelter for 6 months, followed by an upheaval and a new home, I don't know. She does respond to my command (when she barked aggressively, I held her muzzle and firmly said "enough", she didn't like it, but didn't snap at me). Strangely enough, in the house she is fairly obedient (not bad, as she's only been with us for 4 days), very affectionate to me and she lets me manhandle her without protest! I think that she is starting to regard me as her pack leader. Yesterday I tried to take her food away whilst she was eating, interestingly she didn't snarl or growl or snap, but let me take the bowl away, although she kept on eating as long as she could reach the bowl!

Any sage advice from fellow dog owners welcome.

One of our fellow ERs has commissioned me to build a 7mm building, should be fun (another has expressed interest). Stay tuned.

This morning I have a splitting headache, yesterday I worked on an "urgent" document from 06:00 to 20:30 with two 60 minute breaks. And all because the people in charge always do things at the very last minute. Yesterday's documentational marathon could have been avoided had decisions been made 10 days ago.

So today, I am taking it very easy indeed.

Have a great hump day.

Edited by iL Dottore

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

Anyone got an hour or two spare to lend me? I think a 30 hour day would help at the moment!

As they say anything n the song .."what a difference a day makes!" Now blue sky and calm here!

The MRM visited some of my postings and added some "disagrees". Etc. Funny when the posts are factual!

Have a great Wednesday

Baz

Some of you know that I am fighting a proposal by BiL to become a Deputy of the Court of Protection for MiL.

The first form to fill in is £400 then approx £700 for the COP to look at it.

Following a Court hearing the probable costs will be near £10,000 plus your own Solicitor's fees.

Some can be reclaimed from the losing party (who hasn't any money of his own).

Just some information in case anyone else finds themselves in that position.

This is the dreariest thing I have had to do in recent years.

As far as I can see there is no protection for the vulnerable.

• RMweb Gold

Morning.

Quite pleasant here. 

I slept exceptionally well last night and probably still would be if Aditi hadn't phoned to remind me to put the bin bag out! I also found two cups of tea now cold on the bedside table so I'm not sure what time Aditi was up this morning! I do recall saying something about having a nice day.

iD. Lucy probably had some unpleasant experiences. I know of a dog, a collie/GSD cross that had been tortured and had required surgery to correct some of the injuries. The dog was terrified of men. It took almost a year before before he was relaxed with men. I suspect something about the appearance of the people you mentioned stresses Lucy. Nipping is a warning rather than an attack. Robbie is fine at the vet until she tries to squirt vaccine up his nose. I got nipped, bled everywhere and ended up having an entry in the surgery's accident book. One of the problems with dogs that bark at old ladies or whatever is that the owner/walker gets tense and I'm certain the dog is aware of this.Lucy needs to meet a few friendly old people who don't mind being barked at. Lucy will soon stop seeing them as a threat

• Like 6

Some of you know that I am fighting a proposal by BiL to become a Deputy of the Court of Protection for MiL.

Following a Court hearing the probable costs will be near £10,000 plus your own Solicitor's fees.

That is a shocker. Who said doing the right thing is free?

From looking at the COP website it seems that the fees would be paid by your BiL, who wishes to become the Deputy, and that he'd have to stand a bond to protect your MiL's finances?

I obviously don't know much about the circumstances, but a bond would perhaps act as a deterrent to him pilfering? 

• RMweb Premium

Morning All,

When it comes to barking dogs we had some advice from a dog trainer that requires a certain amount of confidence on the owners part. Archie had/has a problem with puppies on leads. He can get really aggressive. The trainer told us to "bark" at him and clearly indicate he is not the boss. The logic being that only the pack leader decides who to bark at. First time I did it Archie looked really taken aback (as did the other dog owner). You'll get some strange looks but it might help.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 2

From looking at the COP website it seems that the fees would be paid by your BiL, who wishes to become the Deputy, and that he'd have to stand a bond to protect your MiL's finances?

I obviously don't know much about the circumstances, but a bond would perhaps act as a deterrent to him pilfering? 

No.

I'm speaking of objecting to his application.

I am getting stronger, slowly. With physical assistance I am able to walk to the dining room.

The care and attention of  the staff to residents is unbelievably outstanading

The catering is First Class!

My brother took up resedence in an upper market residential retirement village but the service and catering rendered here exceeds his by far..

Tim is still my link with the real world.

Still  keeping it short

Edited by DonBradley
  • Like 5

I am getting stronger, slowly. With physical assistance I am able to walk to the dining room.

The care and attention of  the staff to residents is unbelievably outstanading

The catering is First Class!

My brother took up resedence in an upper market residential retirement village but the service and catering rendered here exceeds his by far..

Tim is still my link with the real world.

Still  keeping it short

Nice one Don. Glad to hear about the catering! There's nothing worse than bad grub when you're recovering your strength...

Thanks for the input and support, folks.

Lucy was found abandoned and  with one of her puppies. Given that dogs normally have litters of 5 - 7 puppies, I don't even want to think about what happened to the others. Undoubtably this, and all the other experiences she had whilst surviving, have deeply affected her. And yet when she is alone with me she is a sweet and affecionate dog. It really upsets and angers me that a fundamentally sweet dog has been treated in such a way and had to survive on the streets (I wonder if she had been abandoned because she became pregnant?)

Well, forewarned is forearmed, as they say. So I'll keep her away from stressful situations (like holding her close to me when a cyclist goes by) and start appropriate behavioural training as soon as possible.

Edited by iL Dottore

Morning all,

Failed to post last night, late to bed and tired and, just as I was about to type, power outage! It was only a short one going by the alarm clock but it was long enough for me to fall asleep and not notice the bedside light when it came back on!

Great to hear from Ian(Olddd), seems like Sherry has managed to move in and look forward to hearing about the new 'nest' in due course.

Good luck with Lucy iD, we have a near neighbour with two dogs, (not sure of breed but I think Mr Heinz had a hand) one of which she obtained from rescue to replace one that had died last year. Both dogs get on really well but sadly, the 'rescued' one goes absolutely 'barking mad' at the site of another dog! The lady is bemused by this as she is very experienced and has tried everything she knows but to no avail. Sad really as she now has to find areas to walk in where she is least likely to bump into other dog walkers. Hope you manage to solve the problem Flávio as she certainly doesn't look nasty in her photographs - just the sort of dog that older people are likely to make a fuss of!

Sorry Baz but I am not sure who the MRM is - possibly a bit thick headed this morning!

My sympathies DD, sounds like it isn't just a messy situation, but damned expensive as well! Truly pathetic when family members fall out so badly - I have got the T-shirt in that case but I won't bore you with the long story, just wish you the best of luck my friend.

Hope you all get over the hump safely,

Kind regards,

Jock.

PS Great to have you back Don - take it a day at a time! J.

Edited by Jock67B

• RMweb Premium

Mick, I've often wondered if blood donoring is potentially a form of dieting. 

We know that the body requires a lot of energy to repair damaged tissue - that's why forms of exercise (e.g. stomach crunchies) that damage tissue are effective.

I was wondering if you physically remove tissue, i.e. blood, if there's a noticeable loss of weight (over and above the weight of tissue taken), or an increase in appetite to re-build the missing tissue in the days after?

Doesn't the tea and biscuits replace whatever you've lost?

My sympathies DD, sounds like it isn't just a messy situation, but damned expensive as well! Truly pathetic when family members fall out so badly - I have got the T-shirt in that case but I won't bore you with the long story, just wish you the best of luck my friend.

Thanks, Jock.

Apparently it is very common!

I can't see how 'justice' can be obtained by, say, someone on minimum wage.

Doesn't the tea and biscuits replace whatever you've lost?

I couldn't eat a whole armful of biscuits.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well, forewarned is forearmed, as they say. So I'll keep her away from stressful situations (like holding her close to me when a cyclist goes by) and start appropriate behavioural training as soon as possible.

Probably a good idea to keep the lead short while cyclists are nearby but try and be relaxed, make a friendly greeting to the cyclist (assuming that is acceptable in Switzerland!). I saw a rescue greyhound go from being "impossible" in the company of other dogs to be being "good" in a fairly short time span. 

Lucy must feel really secure in your home, all the barking etc when out is probably sort sort of insecurity. I'm sure she will soon get used to the idea that being taken out doesn't mean she is being abandoned.

• Like 3