The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Ian, I live in hope of a re-release, with 'Wells' early plates, so I can get one for Mrs H.  The locos in the lounge cabinet would have to be moved aside so it could have pride of place!

It`s been rather busy here in the run-up t`ward and during 'Quaker Week';  some open-discussion meetings to present on various subjects and a "Come and meet the Quakers" evening to prepare-for and attend.......Worthwhile, thought-provoking and uplifting they have been, too. :imsohappy:

I'd come, if it were closer.....

• Like 1

Well, SCORE 4 for ME :boast: for whatever reasons and logic that defies me (I wasn't exactly optimistic about the online ticket thing...) it took me less than 5 minutes to get good/mid-priced seats for "The Who"...

Excellent, especially since the online "brokers" are already selling seats worse than the ones I have for nearly 4 times the price - today is a GOOD DAY :) :)

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

The TGV's do it all the time on the approach to Marseille from the Nice direction.   On a bright sunny morning you can watch the shadows of the pantogrpahs as they drop and rise.   It works a treat and is done at at least 70mph.

Didn't the Eurostars do it as they exited the channel tunnel though changing from overhead to 3rd rail.

Jamie

Eurostars changed from 3rd rail to overhead, and vice versa, on the move at c.100mph (which was probably their slowest change between modes although it might possibly be a bit slower when they come off the classic line onto LGV Nord at the Paris end; pans down for neutral sections on the LGV are at much higher speeds.

• RMweb Premium

And there will be a neutral section in between.  It is quite something when you see it being done at speed - Jeumont up on the Franco Belgian border is a good place as trains from Belgium run through at about 60/70 mph and drop one pan as they approach the station raising the other as they reach the Lille end of the platform.  Probably looks even more 'interesting' when it happens at really high speeds on the LGVs in France.  Suggest it should be done in this country and folk go into apoplexy.

There used to be a voltage change at speed in this country. On the approach to Chadwell Heath station the OL voltage changed from 25 Kv to 6.25 Kv and this was done automatically. I remember this was accompanied by a crashing and banging from the equipment cabinets of the 306's.

• RMweb Premium

Dad went to France in an LCT in 1944. Something went wrong with the outer door but as the inner waterproof door seemed OK it was decided that they might as well carry on instead of returning.

I was told that LCT stood for Large Creeping Target and LST stood for Large Slow Target.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There used to be a voltage change at speed in this country. On the approach to Chadwell Heath station the OL voltage changed from 25 Kv to 6.25 Kv and this was done automatically. I remember this was accompanied by a crashing and banging from the equipment cabinets of the 306's.

I don't think they dropped the pantographs for that did they Phil.  It's the same as neutral sections on British ohle where the lineside magnets are used to trigger the opening of the circuit breakers on the traction unit but the pantograph stays up and in contact with the overhead.  

I recall we had a considerable problem with a pair of electrification engineers when we were doing the SPAD risk assessment for St Pancras International and they had decided to put a neutral section a few train lengths in rear of the first lineside signal, just before the exit from the tunnel where it crosses the ECML, and we got into a major discussion about FDriver workload as there would be a system change plus a neutral section so he would be busy opening circuit breakers etc.  They couldn't get it out of their heads that there would be a couple of magnets to cause the circuit breakers to open the circuit breakers or that if you did it that way you'd finish up with a train drawing power in two different power sections at the same time.

• RMweb Premium

I don't think they dropped the pantographs for that did they Phil.  It's the same as neutral sections on British ohle where the lineside magnets are used to trigger the opening of the circuit breakers on the traction unit but the pantograph stays up and in contact with the overhead.  

I recall we had a considerable problem with a pair of electrification engineers when we were doing the SPAD risk assessment for St Pancras International and they had decided to put a neutral section a few train lengths in rear of the first lineside signal, just before the exit from the tunnel where it crosses the ECML, and we got into a major discussion about FDriver workload as there would be a system change plus a neutral section so he would be busy opening circuit breakers etc.  They couldn't get it out of their heads that there would be a couple of magnets to cause the circuit breakers to open the circuit breakers or that if you did it that way you'd finish up with a train drawing power in two different power sections at the same time.

No they never dropped the photographs, but the 309's would be doing 70-80 mph through that section.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Took advantage of POETS day.

However it seems that many staff I wanted to see we're celebrating FOF. (**** off Friday)

Aditi is on her way home now, probably after getting her Friday evening lecture from the caretaker about working late! The college shuts at 6 on Fridays. At least she has a parking place in a secure car park now. At her previous college if working late she used to move her car from the remoter areas of the car park and leave it near the motor vehicle department workshops (well lit and full of big chaps). This was after she was leaving work late one evening and just as she started the engine, a man rushed out of the bushes and tried to open the car door. This was in a car without central locking so she did the only logical thing and accelerated.

• RMweb Premium

And there will be a neutral section in between.

Yes, of course. In other border stations (such as Brennero, if memory serves) there may also be switchable catenary sections so that motive power from either side can use the full length of the platforms. Of course, trying to duplicate the shunting operations required to get DC only locos back from AC territory and vice-versa might be an intriguing sight in its own right!

Please note: the image below appears courtesy of a forum friend 'Das Boot' and is copyright reserved.

Achtung U-Boot! :jester:

• RMweb Gold

Pete (Trisonic) asked if I had updated to Yosemite. No, not yet. I'll wait until I've read what problems people are having. I suggested to Aditi that if her Macbook starts suggesting anything she ignores it for a while. Anyway I suspect the Apple servers will be busy this weekend coping with all the people who must have the latest thing right now.

Evening all. I hope my post makes sense this evening, but a couple of bottles of Theakstons Old Peculiar followed by a generous double of one of Scotland's finests will not help the typing skills. A pretty good day at work. The children worked hard and their progress in the standardised reading and spelling tests are pleasing. One slight annoyance came from the headteacher's feedback. He recently attended a Parents Association meeting when the subject of fundraising events came up. Not for the first time a quiz night was mentioned in the same sentence as myself.

Up to a few years ago I ran these twice yearly and raised about £450 over the year. Since I stopped doing them due to running the model railway event I have been regularly asked to repeat them. Apparently they were very popular.

This year I agreed to do them again - this was mentioned at the recent meeting when the following conversation took place:

Headteacher: Andy would be prepared to do another quiz night this year.

Parent:           I don't understand why he has not done one for the last three years.

Headteacher: I think the small matter of the birth of his daughter may have something to do with it!

Parent:           But that was ages ago!

After the head fed back this conversation I almost changed my mind! Cheeky parent!!!

This evening Sarah wanted to watch Gogglebox this evening. This was a celebrity version for the Channel 4 "Stand up to Cancer" fundraiser. What a difficult and heart pulling programme to watch. As some of our regulars will concur, life really is not fair!

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.
Dark out, no idea about the weather, Aditi went down earlier to let Robbie out and is making dal to take up to Matthew so that he can have some food from home in his freezer. 
Trains and tubes all seem to be in service today so we'll park at Benfleet station and go by train. Matthew lives on Northumberland Avenue, so we will probably go to Embankment.

Tony

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Woken by the refuse removal operatives emptying the wheelie bins from the houses opposite. Due to the inability of our council to do any joined up thinking our bins are now emptied on a Monday as the operatives can't cross the road to wheel them to the vehicle....are we all going soft in the UK or what?

(Apologies for grump was expecting a lie in today!)

But enough of that...have a great Saturday!

Baz

Woken by the refuse removal operatives emptying the wheelie bins from the houses opposite. Due to the inability of our council to do any joined up thinking our bins are now emptied on a Monday as the operatives can't cross the road to wheel them to the vehicle....are we all going soft in the UK or what?

(Apologies for grump was expecting a lie in today!)

But enough of that...have a great Saturday!

Baz

Could they not just drive back along your street in the other direction...? The councils will issue us high visibility vests and have us tipping our own bins into the truck next...

Good morning all, 

Disturbed nights sleep last night due to two humdinger of thunderstorms  both of which seem to be right over our apartment block  then around seven some ar*e-hole started banging a sheet of metal....so much for my lie in! (tomorrow might be better) .

Anyway up now - shopping, haircut and work in that order today,  lets hope that whatever you have planed goes well,

Trev.  

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Quite a windy night here (weatherwise!) and is dry at the moment but a cloudy breezy day is expected with some light rain and the occasional heavier burst.  This probably means that no gardening will be done. What a shame.

Visited the local Wyevale garden centre yesterday as I had a couple of discount vouchers to use up, Amazed to see the price of their artificial Christmas trees - up to £300! There was also an arch of LED lights for the bargain price of £3999!!!!. 

As for Baz's refuse refusal operatives - perhaps they'll have to learn the Green cross code as well before they do the recycling bins!

Son Steve visiting today and I'm hoping he's got the new hard drive for my secondary laptop.

Today Chris is making Thai green curry for the first time so looking forward to that later. (As usual my help is not required)

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, nice and warm here south of Leeds and north of the M62.   Hope you had a good night Jock.  It's lovely and peaceful here with daughter at work and SWMBO off glamping with 3 friends from weightwatchers.  At least two of them have bought onesies and I put my foot in it by suggesting that they would look like the telletubbies.

Anyway I'm looking forward to a trip to Doncaster with my mate to look for new GBRF 66's and put the world to rights.   Depending on timing I might even call in at the clubrooms to look at Troutons on my way home.   Then a bit of time soldering bridge parts and some scottish medecine to finish the day off.  Sounds like a good plan to me.

Have a good day all of you.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208