The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Now I do remember the 1987 storm. We were on holiday in Whitby, staying on a cliff top holiday camp. Each night we lay in bed listening to the storm and watching the walls move whilst hearing the chains holding us in place creek dreadfully. In the mornings we would awake to the sight of touring caravans lying on their side whilst the remains of tents were strewn across the site. Many campers slept in the function room of the club house.

I remember visiting the NYMR and passengers being bused from Grosmont to Goathland as fallen trees had blocked the line.

Returning to the shooting theme.....................

Likewise the Bren was similarly rebarreled, and with a straighter mag (to allow for rimless 7.62 ammn) soldiered on until the big regime change with the introduction of the 5.56mm. (See Trisonic's post)

The 5.56mm is an abomination. A triumph for the bean counters and logistics people.  

Sorry but I hate that round, very little "knock down” capability. I read a report on a firefight in the Falklands where special forces members (using the M 16 variant with the short barrel) were attacking a platoon of Argentinian “regulars” (i.e. quite good soldiers). When it was over the Argentinian Sergeant had something in excess of seven 5.56mm bullets zipped through/inside him before he keeled over...

The SEALS are using the latest FN 7.62 SLR's the SCAR - H (which are very good btw).

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

The son of a colleague was in 2 Para in the Falklands and also the SAS for several years. When with the latter they were given the then new SA80 to test. Their verdict was first, that it couldn't be relied on not to break when dropped out of an aircraft, and second, when they shot sheep with it they didn't fall over on impact, only when quite dead after several hits. They didn't want it and stuck with other weapons as far as possible; his preference was a H & K, not sure which. His personal weapon was an accurized and customised SLR; he had to surrender it after Hungerford. He was apparently ID'd in NI and immediately RTU'd to 2 Para but as a result was permitted a concealed handgun when off duty. His late father was a keen black powder shooter and antique gun collector.

Pete

Lee Enfield 303. My personal gun in the CCF was #11, an American gun modified to fire a full magazine of blanks. The British guns couldn't be modified. I am very strongly left-eyed, so with live ammunition could barely see the target, never mind hit it.

Anyway, I could read a map, could visualise terrain and had pretty good night vision. Hence I was usually platoon leader. In one infamous night exercise at Crieff Camp, I was the only member of the entire CCF to reach the target. The next night I was NCO I/c fire guard, a lot of cadets from other contingents got very wet.

Bill

• Like 3

So, as we appear to be on the verge of another millenium of pages I think we should mark this in some way.

The obvious one is to get Jock to do one of his famous daily summaries, but of 3000 pages instead.  :O

Alternatively perhaps we could each sum ER up in one word? 

Here's my offering: Companionship.   :declare:

Failing that, lets all put a photo of a loco on and drive Debs nuts!  :jester:

For me the word that sums up ERs is community.

Night all

Laurence

• Like 5

For me the word that sums up ERs is community.

Night all

Laurence

That and “drivel“, of course.

I like Companionship - that Andy suggested - let’s face it most of us have never met in person, particularly me but I get a definite sense of friendship with just about everyone on here yet “companionship" sums it up best (so far)................

Best, Pete.

• Like 3

The son of a colleague was in 2 Para in the Falklands and also the SAS for several years. When with the latter they were given the then new SA80 to test. Their verdict was first, that it couldn't be relied on not to break when dropped out of an aircraft, and second, when they shot sheep with it they didn't fall over on impact, only when quite dead after several hits. They didn't want it and stuck with other weapons as far as possible; his preference was a H & K, not sure which. His personal weapon was an accurized and customised SLR; he had to surrender it after Hungerford. He was apparently ID'd in NI and immediately RTU'd to 2 Para but as a result was permitted a concealed handgun when off duty. His late father was a keen black powder shooter and antique gun collector.

Pete

The problem that I found with the standard H&K SLR was that it ejected empty brass forward at a rate of knots - which was embarrassing if the shooter (i.e. you) was in cover.

I like the MP range of machine pistols though their regular pistols suck badly too.

Just my opinion.

I’m still a big fan of the original .45ACP Colt M1911, suitably modified (I used to get 12 shots into the X at close range including a reload in about 5.5 seconds from the holster - the El Presidente, H.H.). For modern;  then the Glock in .45ACP - but I have extra large hands, they have big grips.

Here’s a film of someone doing it in 5.18 - believe me that is a lot faster than 5.5 seconds, a lot!

Bob’s second run was 4.63 seconds but he dropped two points (if you listen carefully) He also knows when the buzzer is set to go off, of course, but still amazingly quick. To get that fast you have put plenty of rounds down range almost every day.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 4

Well, since you started it, 40 years ago I was living in a puddle. Actually, I had just finished my apprenticeship with ICI. My final placement was with an experimental engineering section before the drudgery of the Drawing Office. One of the guys I worked with was a member of the Royal Observer Corps, and I joined that for a while. I enjoyed many aspects of it, but came to feel that in the event of nuclear war I didn't really want to be a survivor in an underground bunker. I've just checked-there were over 1500 of them.

By the way, I was just coming up to my 21st birthday. My parents had been saving all my life for me (ISTR it came to about £250!) and I blew the lot on a.... Mk2 Jaguar 3.8 litre! Sh1t that thing was fast!  I have no idea how I survived without a serious crash. The Jag went banger racing when I could no longer afford to mend it, to be replaced by a Morris Minor van in which I went from Scotland to Cornwall using it as living accomodation. I remember being in the back of the van with a young lady in Cambridge when a Police Officer knocked on the door and said "you can't sleep here Sir". The obvious reply was "we're not sleeping", but the passion was killed.

Ed

• Like 2

Mornin' all,

Looks dry enough to cycle this morning but I'll let it get a little lighter first.

Governor duties call before work today....the school secretary advised that there was broken glass in and around the early years storage shed...likely to be a glaziers job but I'll make sure that the broken glass isn't a hazard for now.

The shed turned out to be a donated one which hasn't since been maintained. The tacks holding the glass in the frame had corroded to the point where the glass had dropped out and smashed on the ground. The roof is covered with wendy house 'thin' felt and leaks/is rotting with the moisture. £70 to replace the 2 panes of glass with a single sheet of 3mm polycarbonate and purchase a roll of decent felt for recovering the roof. I don't mind giving my labour for nothing but am continually galled by how many people purchase items engineered 'just enough' to hold together on the day that they buy them but become a rapidly increasing liability from day 2 onwards.

Enjoy whatever you do

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71

• RMweb Premium

Pete,

For speed and accuracy Challenger 2 had to demonstrate the ability to locate and hit 8 targets with its main armament in under a minute. I had calculated it would take under 50 seconds...somewhere on utub there is a video of the demo at lulworth..job done in 48seconds, all tank static targets at over 1km..now that is fast shooting!

Have a great Thursday everyone!

Baz

• Like 6

3000!

That's not counting the many pages which preceded this incarnation.

Some wonderful drivel lost in the mists of time.

I've heard the search function doesn't work in Wheeltappers. I wouldn't want to have to go back through ERs to find something. I would imagine translating ancient texts took less time...

You're right DD.  It's probably double that number with the several incarnations of RMweb since the start...

Morning all.  First day of golf for a week.  Just hoping I can stay dry.  

Made a couple of boards on ET, with another couple underway, but don't get too excited.  I've been there before….:-)

Morning all, 

dull here too,  the company I used to work for made the APU's for Challenger's....but you could never do anything to them insitu. I was offered a ride in one once they were using John Waiwrights Blue Basalt quarry at Stoke St Micheal for some trials on the tracks.  I was there doing overhauls on some Euclid dumpers.   Trouble is six foot five, 17 stone guys do not fit in them!  But they were  quick!  

Ok lets hope our days go well,

Trev.. 

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

More rain, some sunshine to come then........more rain.

Estate agent came and it seems the house is worth more than I thought........ :scratchhead:........however the Boss is not for moving......yet.....or possibly ever!

A bit of domestic stuff to do today so...

have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, had toast and drinking tea. It looks a little wet out there but not last nights heavy rain. An early start for me today 8.45 I need to be at a school! I had better wake up sharpish the kittens have gone quiet. They were delving in the kitchen bin anybody would think they were starving.....

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all,

A bright and sunny start to the day here. 

Mrs B had a nice birthday although her plan to take the day off didn't  materialise. 

Made some progress on cutting out the viaduct in foamboard last night. 

Natch I'll be posting a photo of it later to see if Debs is awake.  :jester:

Andy

• Like 8