The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

29 years  ago -- working as service engineer for the Rolls Royce Diesel distributor  -  lots of time working on Sentinal locos & Plasser + Thuerer on track machines around the South West of the UK -  hmm those were the days???

Anyway cup of tea,  phone call to  Vancouver &  bed beckons,  night night.- sleep tight, mind the bugs dont bite!

Trev,

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

46 years ago I was working for the Post Office Telephones, my job was to maintain the road vehicle records. Each vehicle had a card which showed its history. Some of them were pre war or wartime ex military, fascinating stuff for a petrol head.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 2

Evening all. A very brief post from me tonight. Amber has woken up already, sobbing and demanding to sleep in our bed. Apparently it is my fault, but then again that applies to most things around here at the moment.

At least Amber waited until after The Apprentice had finished. Having watched it tonight I am sure the contestants are getting less intelligent.

• RMweb Premium

29 years ago, I was a relatively newly promoted Sgt in the centre of Bradford, the Miners Strike had ended that year and my daughter would be getting on for 1 year old. 

Anyway here North of Ikea the stress levels in the kitchen are rising so I'm keeping out.  SWMBO is cooking for 5 schoolfriends who are celebrating the visit of one of them from her home in France.   Collectively they are known as the old BAGGS from the initials of their old school.  Daughter and I ahve both been cowardly and pleaded that we have to be elsewhere this evening.  I've just cooked and eaten my own tea and will then be dissappearing to the clubrooms to do some wiring work on Green Ayre which will i think be much better than enduring a houseful of 60 somethings.  Daughter is going out somewhere when she gets home from work.   All in all we think we have good plans.  If I can get all 10 roads energised and working properly at the east end of the fiddle yard it will have been an evening well spent.

Mea culpa for mentioned model railways.

Jamie

Just got back in from the clubrooms,(See my layout thread for the report,) to find 6 drunken 60 something females attempting to empty our booze cupboard after obviously enjoying a good meal.    Margaret has brought her french neighbour with her from where she lives near Limoges, and the conversation is half french and half Yorkshire with considerable bits of translating to English.  Trying to get Marite to say "Put wood in't oil " and then trying to explain to her in franglais that it actually means "shut the door" was very good to watch.  Anyway I've now retreated upstairs but it's good to see them enjoying themselves so much.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Evening all!

Called in late to umpire a couple of games tonight which were quite calm....

29 years ago... I was just finishing some big installations on teh Joint European Torus and in the throws of getting a job back in Leeds...Happy Days!

Baz

• Like 7

46 years ago I had just left school and home to begin training to teach, where I lived in a hostel then flats with other other girls. Then I got married and lived with soon to be ex husband for 43 years!

Tomorrow I'm moving out of our home of three years in Maidencombe to move into an apartment on my own for the first time in my life! (although I will have company at times when Ian visits)The reunion of the class of '68 this Saturday is entitled "When I'm 64"!

• Like 5

46 years ago I had just been accepted into teacher training. I travelled from Kings X to Newcastle and on to Sunderland. I saw an LNER liveried tender parked outside the station. The Tyne was rust coloured. It seemed like a different world.

Furthest I'd ever been from home.

• Like 3

Evening all just,

29 years ago I was a couple of years into a relationship with Joanna, now my second wife! 46 years ago I was just going up to Uni. after a couple of years at Tech college - professional student?

One for the beast - the RHTT has been through here a couple of times, topped and tailed by type 57s, too dark for a picture sadly!

Early night tonight, knackered and a few chores lined up tomorrow.

The hump has been reached, I've just noticed the clock has ticked past midnight!

Sleep tight and kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 10

Pretty much so, except in real life some gestures cover more than one scenario - which is confusing. I only watched for two minutes though..

My favorite saying is: “mangia e statti zitto!"

Best, Pete.

Pete, I used to often say that to the children, grandchildren and now great grandchildren. They didn't always listen needless to say! (Might have helped if I'd translated it?)

G'night Pete,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 2

Blimey!

46 years ago I'd been working at Shell (Shell International) at Waterloo for just over a year, and was enjoying commuting in 4-CORs daily (those were the days!!)

29 years ago I was working for a defense contractor in Silicon Valley, and had been married a scant 3 years, no kids and was charging around in a '64 Corvette...

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dryish at the moment - should be some bright periods to start with but heavy rain forecast this afternoon.

46 years ago Chris & I were 19 and got engaged. Next year we'll have known each other 50 years. :friends: 

66 years ago I wasn't quite here. (At times Chris thinks I'm still not here but on another planet)

Today I'm expecting a visit from an estate agent to value the house. (Just a tentative toe in the water) Apparently we live in a very popular road (Obviously because I live here :boast: ) so that should add a bit to the price. :yes:

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 16

Morning All,

After a rather dark and autumnal start, the cloud appears to be breaking and we might even get a little bit of sunshine later on.

15 years ago I had just started a new job having been made redundant very shortly after arriving in Germany.

20 years ago I was studying electronics at Middlesex University.

30 years ago I had just started secondary school.

It's frightening how time flies!

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Morning all!

Her indoors set alarm to get up to go swimming but her back is not good this week so isn't going. At least she brought me a mug of tea!!

Have a great Wednesday everyone.

Baz

• Like 2

Pete, I used to often say that to the children, grandchildren and now great grandchildren. They didn't always listen needless to say! (Might have helped if I'd translated it?)

G'night Pete,

Kind regards,

Jock.

G’night, Jock.....

There’s nothing louder than an Italian Family Sunday dinner.................

Best, Pete.

• Like 4

Good morning all,  

Seem it's time for reminiscences?  46 years ago  - I was starting in the world of construction plant...(pilling equipment).  Any way it's hump day,  so lets have the best one we can?

Trev. 

• Like 6

Morning all. Still pretty dark but there's some blue up there somewhere... Lots of catching up to do, so coffee needed. I don't "do" mobile devices other than a basic mobile phone, so God help me if I go away on holiday for a fortnight... ERs will surely have moved on by around 100 pages...

Mornin' all,

Too wet/miserable for the constitutional....I'll have to think exercising thoughts.

As for my ten year timeline: in 2004 I was working in a control office, in 1994 I was a traction instructor, in 1984 I was a drivers assistant 'learning the ropes' with heavy freight trains and in 1974 in I was still at the local primary school.

Enjoy whatever you do

Dave 

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Started trying to catch up but have given up. Holly had her operation yesterday. She now has one bald leg with a row of stiches. She need to go outside this morning about 5am.

New three piece suite arriving this morning. I wanted the old setee for the train room but too large to go up the stairs. After some thought I have sawn into two halves (having removed the staples holding some of the material covering. Two halves are now in the train room awaiting reassembly.

Marion had to go for her Field of Vision test on Monday. Not sure in any of the Hospital staff were on strike but she was in and out much quicker than normal...

Regards to all

Don