The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

It’s amazing what we did at school in the sixties.

I remember going on a field trip with the school to Spain where we took in the caves at Altamira to see the Upper Paleolithic paintings. It was later closed totally to the public and only reopened recently with extremely limited access - three year waiting list.

Probably our trip that made the authorities eventually close it..............

I missed saying G’night last night, Jock! I was out. Hope everything turns out fine viz eyes.

Best, Pete.

• Like 4

I wondered if anyone would connect my Vaseline comment to bedroom activity... It took Ian just 14 minutes. Sherry, you have my utmost sympathy! :mosking:

14 minutes?? That's slow for him!  However, he had a disturbed night which might account for the slower reaction!

• Like 1

I`ve oft` wondered how Vaseline* came to become used on car-battery terminals; I wonder if somewhere a person opened a medicine cabinet and thought: "I know, that`d be great for......"  :scratchhead: 

*Other petroleum jelly products are available............although Lord-only knows what else they are used for! :mosking:

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all.

A quiet day, just Jill and I as the kids are with their dad, so I'm enhancing some of my utility software to make documenting my photographs even easier. 

I decided to look at the weather forecast for tomorrow as the leaf buster trains look set to start around here, so off to the BBC site, and .... 26 hours of heavy rain. Never mind, I'll look at the ITV site later, that may have sun forecast.

I'm also in the "Want a dog" but can't have one camp - terriers being my favourites, at one stage I used to walk Monty, Booza, Jack, Jackson, Jason, Ben, Benji and Romiley -all Jacksies and all on their own leads, hung off a single piece of rope ! - that was fun.

Have a good day all.

• Like 8

Afternoon All

.....Have now returned home we have a sad problem Dog wise Holly has torn her cruciate ligament in the left rear knee. The vet is confident he can fix it (not cheap) but the real concern is the issue of how do you keep a lively terrier from damaging it before it heals properly at least two weeks before she can go for a decent walk. This for a dog who if the walk is only for an hour will charge around at home to use up the unspent energy. The operation is planned for tuesday....

You have my sympathies, there is nothing more frustrating for a dog than enforced inactivity, poor lass. As the posters below have indicated, a crate will limit movement. But to keep her amused, why not try some "brain training". There are a number of toys that will keep her engrossed for a while. Schotty has one where he has to move sliding discs in grooves to reveal wells in which a treat is hidden. Although he has been at it for a while, he still hasn't quite mastered the puzzle. Whilst you do have to supervise, all the "brain work" does tire them out.

We've had a couple of dogs had to have this done, one a lively terrier. For both we had to have them sit with us quite a bit, and when we had to leave the terrier had to confine her a bit (not something we normally do. So maybe just a cage during recovery if you can't arrange something. We managed it by putting a gate underneath my desk (which is in a corner) so she could move but not much and was in a familiar place. Water and a few toys kept her relatively happy while the injury healed. She lived for four more years after her injury, eventually going at age eighteen of something totally unrelated.

The larger dog, a couple of years ago, is my son's and his fiancee was with him the whole time while he recovered - he's great now.

Going out at 18! Wow, I hope that my dogs are as fortunate with their lifespans. As Coombe Barton suggests, any sort of restriction that impairs her ability to move (but not to get comfortable or stretch out) would help a lot

Don a cage/crate is the only reliable answer as John has already suggested. When our terrier, Archie, was hit by a car and broke both back legs he had to be caged whenever unsupervised for a fortnight. He also had restricted walks on a lead for 3 months. He was only 6 months old at the time but doesn't seem to have suffered any longterm problems. He will even put up with being caged now although it is rarely necessary. Cheers Dave

Poor Archie, but he looks lively enough now. Young dogs are pretty resilient

Well, on to my news. We went back to the tierheim to give Tallia another introduction to Schotty. This time Mrs iD dropped me off and her friend and I picked up the dog and headed off to a nearby tennis club where we were to all meet.

During the pick-up I noted that the first thing she did upon leaving the kennels was to void urine, followed by evacuating her bowels. The volume/quantity was such as to suggest the lass was holding it for a long time, implying a degree of house training (phew), but this needs to be worked upon, I'm sure.

The next thing I found out, was that she responds to commands, but in French (zut alors!), also implying a degree of previous training. During the encounter between Schotty and Tallia (soon to be Lucy), there was little interaction, although there was some snarling and barking (and suprisingly rapid submission from Tallia) over a tennis ball. Harmony was quickly restored, with Tallia actively chasing down scent trails (I fear we have another hunter on our hands).

The acid test was to put Tallia and Schotty into the back of the car (until today, his, territory) to see if there was any conflict in a confined space. There wasn't and all 5 of us (Me, Mrs iD, her friend and the two dogs) drove back to the tierheim to drop her off.

We collect her and take her back to Basel next Friday afternoon.

And here is the photographic evidence of our insanity!

post-123-0-18072400-1413127823.jpg post-123-0-85091200-1413127862.jpg

Off to brush up on my French dog commands (or should that be dog commands in French? or commands for dogs in French?, I dunno).

Have a great evening

iD

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 17

Afternoon All

You have my sympathies, there is nothing more frustrating for a dog than enforced inactivity, poor lass. As the posters below have indicated, a crate will limit movement. But to keep her amused, why not try some "brain training". There are a number of toys that will keep her engrossed for a while. Schotty has one where he has to move sliding discs in grooves to reveal wells in which a treat is hidden. Although he has been at it for a while, he still hasn't quite mastered the puzzle. Whilst you do have to supervise, all the "brain work" does tire them out.

Going out at 18! Wow, I hope that my dogs are as fortunate with their lifespans. As Coombe Barton suggests, any sort of restriction that impairs her ability to move (but not to get comfortable or stretch out) would help a lot

Poor Archie, but he looks lively enough now. Young dogs are pretty resilient

Well, on to my news. We went back to the tierheim to give Tallia another introduction to Schotty. This time Mrs iD dropped me off and her friend and I picked up the dog and headed off to a nearby tennis club where we were to all meet.

During the pick-up I noted that the first thing she did upon leaving the kennels was to void urine, followed by evacuating her bowels. The volume/quantity was such as to suggest the lass was holding it for a long time, implying a degree of house training (phew), but this needs to be worked upon, I'm sure.

The next thing I found out, was that she responds to commands, but in French (zut alors!), also implying a degree of previous training. During the encounter between Schotty and Tallia (soon to be Lucy), there was little interaction, although there was some snarling and barking (and suprisingly rapid submission from Tallia) over a tennis ball. Harmony was quickly restored, with Tallia actively chasing down scent trails (I fear we have another hunter on our hands).

The acid test was to put Tallia and Schotty into the back of the car (until today, his, territory) to see if there was any conflict in a confined space. There wasn't and all 5 of us (Me, Mrs iD, her friend and the two dogs) drove back to the tierheim to drop her off.

We collect her and take her back to Basel next Friday afternoon.

And here is the photographic evidence of our insanity!

attachicon.gifIn The Car.jpg attachicon.gifA Couple.jpg

Off to brush up on my French dog commands (or should that be dog commands in French? or commands for dogs in French?, I dunno).

Have a great evening

iD

They make a lovely couple Doc.

Ed

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

What a lot of catching up since yesterday afternoon, and in the meantime, a lot has happened - Joanna and Aditi ailing, Flavio deciding to take on board another canine charge, lots of bad jokes, etc...

Indeed a bit too much to comment on each indivdual posting, so sorry that I've only mentioned a few.

Weather here is not all that bad, considering, and started off very foggy indeed, burnt off by mid morning, though, to leave a sunny day with occasional cloud.

Decided to visit the local antique centre (aka one step up from a car boot sale) and right at the end, made a quite interesting find, as there were three very old Railway Magazines sitting with an elastic band round them, and priced at £3 for the three - they were for March/April 1946, March/April 1947, and March/April 1948, so I thought that they were a pretty good find for the price - the dealer had, however, put a sticky label on the cover of one, and even with the most careful application of Sticky Stuff Remover, the cover of the 1948 one got slightly damaged - otherwise, they are in good condition.

Beast - we started to get the leaf buster here a couple of weeks ago, and it went through Lancaster on the middle road the other evening going at a fair lick and I did wonder from its speed if it was actually working, though there seemed to be quite a lot of spray, top and tail DRS 66s (one appeared to be ex-works) and the tanks.

Lily is mithering me for a walk, so

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 1

Ding! An idea, TVM, Smiffy! MiL is gonna have to reduce her worldly goods in the near future, has offered me anything I'd like. She has a framed copy of an excerpt from the tapestry, which I've always admired. As I only ever travel by train back to France, getting it safely home with all my other luggage would be difficult. But in December, I think Sherry and I may be returning by car, so.....

Thanks! Let's get in touch in the new year.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all, spent more time than intended at Canvey today, time to put my feet up now. Talking of dogs I met a lovely Scottie today, he's all of 15 years old and nearly blind but there was nothing wrong with his nose and ears, especially where food is concerned.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

We did have a quiet day at home (my power washer isn't that noisy) and I didn't do much other than clean Aditi's (ooh look it is white under the grime) car. Her throat seems to have recovered completely. Perhaps it was a reaction to the flu jab last week.

I think Matthew was a bit "tired" when I spoke to him yesterday lunchtime. As he had slept through the morning he was intending to go to the library until it closed at midnight and go back again this morning. He does seem to be enjoying the social and academic life at LSE.

Tony

• Like 7

I`ve oft` wondered how Vaseline* came to become used on car-battery terminals; I wonder if somewhere a person opened a medicine cabinet and thought: "I know, that`d be great for......"  :scratchhead:

*Other petroleum jelly products are available............although Lord-only knows what else they are used for! :mosking:

Vaseline (and other petroleum jelly products) are used for car batteries, as they prevent the oxygen in the air from getting at the terminals, which then prevents corrosion.  The corrosion can then result in poor electrical conductivity and potential breakdowns at worst.

I used to use Vaseline in my rugby playing days to smear over my ears to prevent rubbing/chafing whilst in the scrum - very effective it was too!

Vaseline (and other petroleum jelly products) are used for car batteries, as they prevent the oxygen in the air from getting at the terminals, which then prevents corrosion.  The corrosion can then result in poor electrical conductivity and potential breakdowns at worst.

I used to use Vaseline in my rugby playing days to smear over my ears to prevent rubbing/chafing whilst in the scrum - very effective it was too!

Apparently cricketers have been known to use it on their balls.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaseline_incident

• Like 1