The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Good morning  all,  first proper day of the working week for me!  ( Last two days being public / religious holidays) .  Not  much else to say this morning,  so what ever you are  up to, try to find something to smile about, 

Trev.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

I've been out to put the refuse bag in the front garden. Seems like a pleasant morning.

Not sure what I'm doing today. I did lay some track out yesterday as a vague start on making a small layout to keep in the house for something to do if I don't want to go out to the garage.

Tony

• Like 3

Morning all. Cold on the Norfolk coast this morning or maybe it's just me...

Central heating went on last night for the first time since March. All was fine for five minutes until the boiler shut down after a hissy fit showing an unusual fault code. Much panic ensued. It turned out to be low water pressure which was easily fixed with some fiddling. Must get the boiler serviced though. Luckily the plumber I've used on the house refurb is a mate (lifeboat helmsman) so a quick phone call should sort that out.

Two ebay purchases last night. A rolltop bath that needs collecting from Fakenham. Bargain. And a totally inappropriate model railway purchase just because I'm a sucker for the unusual. I'll need a bit of modeller's license to run this one...

Hope your Wednesday warms up and goes well. Pete.

Morning all.  Peeing down outside, so no golf and the railway room beckons.  I've been dabbling with ET for the past few days, but will keep a low profile until I can see the urge return.  

Talking of urges, I had a funny one yesterday.  A handwritten card arrived marked personal.  Turned out to be a card from a girlfriend of 50 years ago, who had found me on the web.  A few emails have now been exchanged and we're probably going to meet up for lunch in the not too distant future.  Strange thing is we haven't seen each other for 50 years and like you all, I'm so much younger in my head until you catch a glance in the mirror and then reality kicks in.  I'll be looking for an 18 year old blonde and my Mum will turn up.  

Of course she'll be looking for a scooter driving mod and might be shocked having lunch with her grandad…:-)

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Stewart, I've just re-called a memory of a male teacher at Hurlford, teaching us about the orchestra in the time honoured way using Prokofiev's 'Peter and the Wolf'! Sadly I can't yet recall his name or what he looked like but it certainly is possible that it was your dad - AWSOME!

More than possible, Jock - virtually certain, as that was one of dad's favourite teaching methods, and Peter And The Wolf was one of the pieces he used as a teaching tool throughout his career - one of the others was Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade - one of life's great coincidences!  He taught part-time at several primary schools at that time, and I think that when he was at Hurlford, he was also teaching at Dreghorn, and as at that time, we didn't have a car (in fact he hadn't passed his test) he travelled from Newmilns to Hurlford by bus, and likewise when he went to Dreghorn, he got a bus to Kilmarnock, then onwards - in those days, the buses were, of course, totally reliable, and he could time his journeys accurately.

Edited by 45156
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I can't help thinking that she's an engineer in the mould of many expert modellers, having developed the tools for the job.

Talking about our Debs again?

Morning All

Chilly here, but the air is quite dry, when I was putting the bins out first thing.  Shopping done yesterday to allow me a free afternoon today to go to my stained glass course - hope I don't get told off, as my "homework" (self imposed mainly) was to practice cutting a few glass shapes using my own tools, but other jobs have got in the way. 

One of today's tasks is to set a fire in the stove, as it is getting chilly - heating is on right now, but unlike some households, I am the one who wants the boiler running, and 30747 doesn't. 

Pete 75C -  I'd suggest a call to your mate sooner rather than later, as modern boilers do need the attentions of a professional, as they are pretty reliable, but when they do go wrong, there's s*d all that you can do apart from shiver - and as most of us now have an all eggs in one basket combi, we don't then have an alternative way of heating the water, as there's no tank on which an immersion heater can be used.

Not really a lot more to say this morning, and I need to go off to sort out other things non RMWeb related on this machine now, so

Regards to All

Stewart

Edited by 45156
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Morning - working from home (at 9!) today, or at least this morning.  That Sea Lion  again, needs some alteration work that I am only equipped to do at home

Gordon, a scooter - urgh!  I thought so much of your taste too!!!  LOL :jester:

OK, off to warm up the workshop, it's peeing down....

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Raining steadily at the moment and looks like it will all day but some sunshine is possible (allegedly but I have my doubts)

Late here this morning because I went back to bed after taking Chris to work at 5.15 - it seemed the sensible thing to do.

Had a great time yesterday with the grandchildren here - it's amazing how much we had to talk about after just a few days away. There was also a lot of planning for this weekend as Sunday has been declared "Uncle's Day" for Steve. The kids love organizing it as he's their only (and extremely generous) uncle. Apparently there is an "official" day but this was missed earlier in the year (No - I didn't know there was one either)

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning - working from home (at 9!) today, or at least this morning.  That Sea Lion  again, needs some alteration work that I am only equipped to do at home

I just had a look on the website.  Looks in interesting model - I see that delivery is expected in April next year, so let's just hope that the work isn't anything too onerous that might delay things - I doubt that I could justify this one in my collection, even if I did have a spare grand to spend on it.

• RMweb Gold

Pete 75C -  I'd suggest a call to your mate sooner rather than later, as modern boilers do need the attentions of a professional, as they are pretty reliable, but when they do go wrong, there's s*d all that you can do apart from shiver - and as most of us now have an all eggs in one basket combi, we don't then have an alternative way of heating the water, as there's no tank on which an immersion heater can be used.

Stewart

Rather than using the boiler all the time for small amounts of hot water you can use the kettle. If the amount of hot water you need is less than the quantity in the pipe from the boiler to the tap it is also likely to be cheaper and takes little longer than it takes for the hot to come through.

Another point if you have your combi set to maintain a supply of hot water for quick response do remember to set that off if you are away unless you have money to waste.

Don

Cheers Stewart. He's in the kitchen now with the boiler front panel off...! I really didn't expect him to come straight over. I guess that's one of my "favours" used up...

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, bit chilly but dry and I still wore a jacket must be getting nesh in my advancing years. Gordon I regard you as more socially adept than me but 'there be Dragons' on that path. Glad it is Wednesday and I only have four reports to write before Friday pm.....

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Talking of urges, I had a funny one yesterday.  A handwritten card arrived marked personal.  Turned out to be a card from a girlfriend of 50 years ago, who found me on the web.  A few emails have now been exchanged and we're probably going to meet up for lunch in the not to distant future.  Strange thing is we haven't seen each other for 50 years and of course like you all, I'm so much younger in my head until you catch a glance in the mirror and then reality kicks in.  I'll be looking for am 18 year old blonde and my Mum will turn up.  

Of course she'll be looking for a scooter driving mod and might be shocked having lunch with her grandad…:-)

Ooh! Gordon! Be warned - these things can be addictive! After all, Sherry and I got in contact via Friends Reunited in 2004, nearly 40 years after I'd left skool, and nearly 30 years after we'd had a few moments' chat at a party, in the company of our spouses (spice?!). And look where we are now! Seriously, you will enjoy stirring each other's memory of times past, and will add in the good and bad things that have befallen each of you since. Should be great fun. Just be sure to be wearing that mod parka.

A wet day here, with some blustery conditions later, too. On such days I am so glad that huge tree is no more.

Hope midweek suits you.

• Like 7

Woken by heavy rain pounding the roof of the motorhome this morning but it has stopped and, as I am keying this in, the sun has come out. Off up to the lake district today so don't want too much wind and rain on the M5/M6 trek!

John

Morning all,

Looks like a wet start to the day. Tipped it down yesterday afternoon.

Switched on my email and found a request for advice on Ebola, health workers wearing protective clothing in sunnier climes and heat strain prevention.

Nice to be asked. 

Today it's cleaning and studying (I like to think of it as brushing up) pulmonary function in high gravity situations. Gulp; or Valsalva, if you've a medical turn of mind!  

John, last time I did a practical on x-ray crystallography must be some 30 years ago. Worked a lot better than many of the practicals where the calibration curves were more like scatter diagrams - much to the irritation and consternation of the tutor. Seems bizarre now that we did these practicals in what amounted to a shed. I suspect the university may have built slightly more upmarket labs by now. However, the lab was noted for having a pub directly opposite where we would adjourn for lunch. Happy memories! A number of my classmates now hold senior positions in drug companies, so we must have learnt something. Or they did, at least! ;) 

The backscene had it's second coat of paint and is looking very foggy. Ready to sketch on the roof lines next. SWMBO has been asked to bring home some printer paper cartons (sans papier) for the scrap cardboard that'll be needed for the viaduct construction. 

• Like 6

Talking of urges, I had a funny one yesterday.  A handwritten card arrived marked personal.  Turned out to be a card from a girlfriend of 50 years ago, who found me on the web.  A few emails have now been exchanged and we're probably going to meet up for lunch in the not to distant future.  Strange thing is we haven't seen each other for 50 years and of course like you all, I'm so much younger in my head until you catch a glance in the mirror and then reality kicks in.  I'll be looking for am 18 year old blonde and my Mum will turn up.  

Crikey, Gordon!

Take a Minder.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Woken by heavy rain pounding the roof of the motorhome this morning but it has stopped and, as I am keying this in, the sun has come out. Off up to the lake district today so don't want too much wind and rain on the M5/M6 trek!

John

Wave towards the East when you pass M6 Jcn 34 - if I were going to be in today, I'd suggest popping in for a coffee, but I'm out, and also I appear to hav run out of decent coffee.

Good time to visit the Lakes as most of the normal tourist brigade are gone - while you're up this way, try to seek out some of the local beers like Lancaster, Kirkby Lonsdale, and Hawkshead - also Hesket Newmarket and Coniston are pretty good too.

EDIT -  You can avoid the worst of the M6 between Brum and Warrington by leaving the M6 at the M54 and going up the A41 and A49 to just South of Warrington, then picking up the M56 and back onto the M6 at Lymm - has the advantage of lots more places to stop, have a drink, etc, and also the BEST truckstop on the planet (midway truck stop) at Prees Heath where they do some AWESOME all day breakfasts.

Edited by 45156
  • Like 1

Il pleut comme une vache pisse!

Woke up late after a bad night, so not really caught up with assorted messages yet.

Today's plan is to drive to Fougéres to the Emmaus to look for something. Possibly a small buffet to shabby chic for the breakfast room. I need a small vice (be quiet at the back) for modelling. I've got some things to do, but I'm badly set up here. I'd like to be working outside using a Workmate as a bench, but...

I'm a bit jealous that so many are living exciting lives, buying stuff on ebay, making tea for repairmen and planning studios! #1 son has just built a studio across the width of his garden so that he can drum in peace and work on assorted paid projects. He loves it - and so does Blondie, who has just started piano and is about to start violin. I wish I were musical.

So have a good day, all, and think of my 40 minute drive in bucketing rain to go and look at some mouldy furniture and then drive back again.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Weather reasonable but not marvellous - yesterday's sunshine turned into rather forceful precipitation for an hour or so but still not too bad for the time of year.

A reminder for those in the vicinity-ish that it is the Farnham show this coming weekend with some attractive layouts present so the good Doctor and I are likely to visit if the weather is not too nasty as it's usually a good show and the teas not too bad either.  And talking of tea I understand an expedition to the Savacentre is being planned as we're down to our last bag of Yorkshire Gold - fortunately Whitchurch Bridge has now reopened - somewhat wider but looking very spruce with white girder work (just like the original Tay Bridge :O ) but the toll has doubled to 40p, I wonder how many trips I'll get when I recharge my card as that used to give something around a 50% discount, and now worth - in effect 75% off for my next 19 crossings.

Have a good day with past friend, and all and tread carefully Gordon; I should set out to impress - don't shave for a couple of days, wear your gardening trousers and shirt, and borrow an old banger to drive to the venue.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Have a good day with past friend, and all and tread carefully Gordon; I should set out to impress - don't shave for a couple of days, wear your gardening trousers and shirt, and borrow an old banger to drive to the venue.

For some reason that has triggered a memory. Our skool held a most successful reunion over a weekend in 1992. [sherry and I both attended - although we didn't meet, as there was a huge number of people there.] However, one of our former pupils was/is a journalist, and a few days later she wrote an article about the event from her perspective. Intriguingly, a chap in her year had told her how much he fancied her at when they were at skool - and her question was why didn't he say so then? DD's idea of a chaperone has more than a little merit!

• Like 1