The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Only two games but managed to get flattened by one of the fielders! Both games were very tense and very close games.

Chilly here tonight!  Extra duvert added to bed by her indoors as she said it was cold last night..

Have a great Sunday evening!

Evening all. It has been a nice day weather wise today although the temperature has definitely dipped towards Autumnal levels. I was up early to watch my team play football. A recurrence of an old ankle ligament injury has kept me out of action for three out of the last four games. It was still sore this morning so I could not take up my usual role in defence. Sadly our back line decided to have a day off as we lost 5-1. All five goals were down to defensive errors. Very disappointing.

With Sarah off watching Nottingham Forest today I had Amber to myself for the afternoon. We went to the local toy shop for a treat as a reward for successfully giving up her dummy this week. Then we went to Masson Mill outlet in Cromford. Nothing to tempt me from their Hornby outlet today, although I almost bought a Airfix kit of the Captain Scarlet "Angel Interceptor" aeroplane. I resisted the temptation in the end.

Tomorrow is D Day for British Gas. I wonder if the cheque will come or the promised phone call. I will not hold my breath. Incidentally, on the subject of incompetence....we left B.T in August after their failure to provide us with internet and phone services within a reasonable time. I think I have told that story before. Strange how we still have the free B.T Sport channels. I'm saying nothing!!!

• RMweb Gold

Evenin' all,

Apparently we made considerable progress (so I'm told - so we must have) in seasonal garden clearing today - all grobags disposed of onto the veg patch, tomato plants removed, courgette plants removed, cucumber plants removed, large patch of rubbishy plant growth sort of cleared, management happy - result.  Now she'd like a nice little potting/tool shed down near the greenhouse - I foresee a time of constructing a base coming shortly.

Edited by The Stationmaster

Evening all,

Sunny here all day but the moment it disappeared over the horizon, the temperature rapidly followed! Joanna had the heating on quickly although it was hot enough in the kitchen where I have returned to cooking roasts - chicken today at the request of the grand daughter lodger. We had 'face time' with her mum and dad this afternoon. Still find it hard to take in the technology, talking face to face with someone over 5000 miles away and six hours time difference! They leave Cancun for New York this evening and return here on Thursday. They look like they've really caught the Sun and are enjoying themselves, very well deserved as they worked very hard for this!

Richard, I hope the ankle is on the mend, can't have you disappointing Mrs Hippo by being unfit for chores!

Sorry about the football result Andy, but I look forward to regular posts again.

Had a lovely evening, told Joanna about the music under discussion on here recently and she asked me to play some tunes that I first wooed her to over thirty years ago. You tube on the iPad solved that with Genesis, Bread, Dire Straits, Lennon and several others all played, leaving her very happy indeed - amazing how music brings memories flooding back. I can show a romantic side now and then!

Hope you all enjoyed your weekend and those unlucky enough to have to work tomorrow, find it fairly painless.

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

When we were at the STEAM Festival last month we picked up a flyer for The Great Western Brick Show, an exhibition of LEGO, also at Steam. So off we went today. Martyn's Mum wanted to come so she drove and we took one of his school friends. I was impressed by some of the work on show. The Sci-Fi stuff was excellent but somehow left me cold, although I watch Sci-Fi movies. A huge model of the RMS Queen Mary was well worth seeing. I reserved particular attention for the various railway-related displays; some were very good, pariclularly "Corfe Castle Station" featuring models of various BR locos and stock. Some custom made parts were used but the resulting models were well executed. I particularly liked the LMS Twins on a rake of carmine/cream stock. I took a load of pics on my new toy (a Nikon D3200) but the files are too large to post. I'll crop and compress some tomorrow and start a thread for them. Lego was purchased; Martyn bought a Sopwith Camel. I was given a Minifig of a Hippy.....

We came back via Avebury, a special place for us even though we're no longer together, and had a drink at the Red Lion.

A question for any folkies among ERs: Martyn has taken to listening to Holst's The Planets, especially Jupiter. Has anyone noticed that a recurring section of the piece bears a passing resemblance to part of the tune of The/My Bonny Light Horseman, a song of the Napoleonic Wars  period? It appears that Holst was friend of Vaughan Williams and also collected folk songs and tunes, so it doesn't surprise me.

It's now Monday, so have a good week everybody.

Pete

• Like 1

A question for any folkies among ERs: Martyn has taken to listening to Holst's The Planets, especially Jupiter. Has anyone noticed that a recurring section of the piece bears a passing resemblance to part of the tune of The/My Bonny Light Horseman, a song of the Napoleonic Wars  period? It appears that Holst was friend of Vaughan Williams and also collected folk songs and tunes, so it doesn't surprise me.

Pete

Quite a few “Classical” composers did that, including Beethoven (but not often). It’s my answer to Classical snobs (I like all music so long as it is good).

Actually Gustav’s daughter Imogen was the biggest of all - she stopped King Crimson from performing their version of “Mars”.....and Wally/Wendy Carlos from releasing the whole Suite by synth.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

With Sarah off watching Nottingham Forest today I had Amber to myself for the afternoon. We went to the local toy shop for a treat as a reward for successfully giving up her dummy this week.

I only gave up my “dummy" last year. Cigarettes.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Its raining again....no not Supertramp but the weather here in Leeds.

Lots on today parcels to pack and post, baseboards to sand and paint and some house cleaning to do.

Watched a programme on Genesis on TV on Saturday..took me back to my youth watching Peter Gabriel turning into a flower! Happy days!

Have a good Monday!

Baz

• RMweb Gold

Morning, back from dropping youngest at the train station. Very wet and windy outside, observed a couple of trees down on the way.

Coffee and breakfast now, not sure what the plan is for today but it sure wont be gardening!

Woodburner has been on a couple of times, central heating not yet although youngest asked why it wasn't on this morning.

Enjoy the day folks

• Like 4

Mornin' all,

Wet & windy in the Staffs Moorlands...probably the longest and best sunshine touring season is over now....suitcases consigned to the loft once more...time to catch up on all that has been allowed to slide...oh well! 

Enjoy whatever you do

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Weather has finally turned here, and though it was sunny all day yesterday the evening soon turned very chilly. I took a late-afternoon slot to move some of the logs from where I had cut them on the lawn. 7 barrowloads later I'd had enough! Will do some more this morning, ahead of the rain which is forecast for the next few days. They will need to cure for next Winter, of course, but meantime I need to reconfigure the sejour (kitchen/living room) to make the woodburner accessible.

After yesterday's dreadful events at Suzuka, people are asking why the race could not have been started earlier. Are they serious? With a major income stream for F1 coming from world-wide tv rights, moving the start time is not on. This is all about money!

Hope your week goes well.

....there is a sad but undeniable logic that more than one driver is likely to have the same accident in the same place in poor conditions. In the same way that motorway maintenance vehicles now have a concertina arrangement to protect everyone from rear end collisions it is inevitable that similar is required on a F1 track...after all it isn't the loss of control that is the deadly factor, it is the sudden stop at the end.

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, wet windy and cold but that's outside I put the heating on yesterday and forgot to turn it off! So snug as I am I must be off to Derby in the rain soon for a mornings worth of training.Looking at the commuting stories on here I am so glad I live in Hicksville with a twenty minute commute by car. Have a good day all.

• Like 1

Morning all from the boring borough. Back to normal this week. Far too many posts to catch up on. Brain work good not after the Special High Intensity Training last week. Trying to catch up on sleep and fighting a stinking cold. One of the downsides of rarely commuting anymore is I seem to be far more susceptible to the plague victims on the train. Didn't help that I had 2 idiots on Thursday snorting, coughing and hacking up their lungs without covering their mouths. Cockwombles!

Workwise the idiots that have the on and off again project with the waste of time meetings, was on for an hour on Friday but off again this morning. Another project with some secret squirrels is on the cards. No doubt the latter will come to fruition just as the former starts to panic and get all shouty with regards to "their" resource. (me) Seen that scenario before.

Saturday I disposed of some surplus railway stock and followed it up with an excellent pub lunch. Sunday was spend in the back garden. It was an Of Mice and Bees afternoon. This afternoon I shall be burping the central heating as its getting a bit chilly in the mornings.

Where ever you are and what ever you are doing, enjoy the day.

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

We seem to have lost the sun this morning as it is very dull & dismal with lots of rain forecast. What a shame as I was really looking forward to mowing the lawn. cutting the grass on the mud patch.

No heating on yet but I get the feeling it won't be long now. 

Last day of Chris's holiday so to retain Brownie points gained I will comply with all instructions today. Tomorrow may well see a return to my normal state of lethargy concerning domestic stuff but there are a lot of railway related things that need doing which is far more interesting!

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 2

Morning all,  

Not much to report from wet west africa... apart from my shower head fell off last night!  Investigation this morning show that the pipe had rotted through (Only  two years old - cheap chineese cra*!

Luckily we have a spare room - so going to see if I can recover some parts from that later.

Also public holiday here so it's  a "work at home" day.

Hope your week start well,

Trev. 

• RMweb Premium

wet windy and cold  . . . . . . . . off to Derby in the rain soon for a mornings worth of training.

Guess what - it's wet, windy and cold here as well so you'll feel at home - if they have the heating on! From my Ivory Tower overlooking the City I can still see the Cathedral and the Jurys Inn Hotel so there is some visibility - on a good day we can see the control tower at East Midlands on the horizon - no chance of that today !

Tomorrow is D Day for British Gas. I wonder if the cheque will come or the promised phone call. I will not hold my breath. Incidentally, on the subject of incompetence....we left B.T in August after their failure to provide us with internet and phone services within a reasonable time. I think I have told that story before. Strange how we still have the free B.T Sport channels. I'm saying nothing!!!

Good luck with it, Andy, keep plugging away.

I had some good news last week regarding a Ryanair travel insurance refund; purchased flights back in March for September travel to France. Also their travel insurance (ahem). Flight times were changed by 8 hours (from 2pm to 6am, meaning 4am check-in, getting up at 3am latest) which meant I could get a refund on flights which was paid very promptly. Not so the travel insurance, which they'll only refund up to 14 days after purchase.

Funny, because Ryanair travel insurance can only be used in conjunction with Ryanair flights, and I had no Ryanair flights after the ticket refund.

To cut a long story short, contacted financial services ombudsman a couple of weeks ago and presto! letter arrived Saturday stating that a refund had been made to my credit card for the travel insurance.

I don't know why I bought the insurance in the first place but it seemed to be there once it came to pay; probably didn't uncheck a box. I didn't want to go back a few pages in case I lost the goodish flight prices.

Looks like we'll all be ducks in Britain today, have a good week

Mal

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

The rain has finally arrived here and it must have been cold enough for the heating to come on this morning. 

I don't think I'm supposed to be doing anything today, but I wasn't fully awake when Aditi left for work so may have missed some suggestions.

Tony