The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Did she tell you that you’ll only feel a little pr!ck?

Mine does...

Best, Pete.

When I was in hospital and get assaulted by needles several times a day I asked why they didn't say that and the nurses on the ward said that they had been officially told not to say it in case it upset any of the male patients and it was official hospital policy.  So we live in an ultra PC world over here Pete (and that was 15 years ago!).

Anyway my arm hasn't dropped off yet but the Nurse yesterday said it does take up to two weeks to take full effect. And our surgery doesn't mess about (apart from the patients that is) - injection done and they send you on your way.  Our old surgery in Tilehurst was much more fun as after the jab they liked you to wait 10 minutes during which time the admin staff were roped-in to provide tea & biscuits for everyone.  That surgery also had a policy of giving a flu jab to any patient who wanted one, irrespective of age etc - they reckoned it saved them a vast amount of time in the winter as the number of patients they had to deal with who'd got flu fell drastically after they adopted the policy.

Oh and don't worry about the pneumococcal jab Baz - no problem at all and it's long term, I had mine in 1999.

Lovely sunny day outside but no doubt too wet to mow the lawn - rain forecast for the rest of the week.   So enjoy what's left of the weekend.

• Like 6

Just had the great debate on what we're doing today. Apparently I'm mowing the lawn and taking the dogs out, cooking lunch and dinner and clearing up.

Sandy's doing the washing and then getting on with her GIS course.

Please notice that "clearing up" was last on my list, which means that if I run out of time ...

When I was in hospital in the early ’90’s the only thing that kept me sane was the interplay with Nurses. The “ward” Sister (we all had our own rooms) always selected  the youngest, newest, Nurse to give me a bed bath (I was in for three weeks). I had no problem with being stripped naked for the bath but one of them had a spare wash cloth to drape over my genitals whilst the rest of me was washed. Another one would toss the cloth at my face at the end and say “You can wash that!”

If I was particularly lucky the Sister (who was about my age) would do me herself. She was always interested in why I had so many female visitors, because I’m not classically good looking. I can’t even mention what she caught one of them doing to me.

Anyway it made what could have been a very miserable time more interesting. I mean I felt brilliant except for my right foot which had Cancer.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

Morning all,

John(CB), thanks for your concern but the truth is that I watched a couple of late TV programmes and woke up with a crick in my neck sometime during the night!

Pete(Trisonic), thought of you again last night as the above mentioned programmes were on Genesis, the first a history from the early days. Peter Gabriel in zany outfit with policeman's helmet and weird lighting, singing 'In Your Wardrobe' from 'Selling England By The Pound' and Kate Bush could be heard on backing vocals! The second one was a rundown of their hits. God they all look so OLD so I shunned the bathroom mirror this morning!

Stewart, what a lovely video of 46115, that three cylinder beat took me back to the climb out of Hurlford where the locos had to work just as hard. She was based at Kingmoor 68A in latter years and so probably did turns on the 'Thames Clyde Express' but oddly enough, I don't have her ticked as spotted in my Observers book although I was lucky enough to see plenty of the class on the Nith valley line. RMweb once again takes me down memory lane! Thanks for that my friend.

Dave, yours was another memory stirring video as the last time I visited the IOW was with the school railway club in the sixties - they still had some steam in Southampton then!

Polly, lovely photos as ever but no STEAM!!!

On a more serious note, I hope Dick and Baz are soon clear of pain. I've always been lucky in that I am unaffected by stings or insect bites although the hospital have supplied me with some special cream as the chemo reduces the effectiveness of the immune system. Baz, I had the pneumonia injection last year and, although a jab into muscle always aches, I recall no other effects. I've just been informed by Joanna (aka 'the diary') that we are booked for our flu ones on the 14th!

Andy(Andyram), we were beginning to worry - glad you're back on line. I've always had very quick results from the Gas or others by e-mailing the CEO direct. This site gives you their direct e-mail addresses and it has never failed me as a means of getting prompt action : www.ceoemail.com. Suggest you keep it in your address book. Last time I had an issue with British Gas, it was resolved within hours!

Enjoy your roasts or whatever today,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Good morning and greetings to one & all,

A lovely sunny one it is too!

We have returned from the shire of Warwick (also Worcester & Gloucester) after an extremely pleasant and relaxing few days. Hotel was excellent and Mrs GB WMBO at all times thoroughly enjoyed her birthday treat so many Brownie points have been earned.

Have tried keeping up to date with all goings on but only had Chris's mini Ipad thingy which I cannot get on with (fat fingers etc). However commiserations to all who've been injected - whether by doctors, nurses, wasps or otherwise.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 3

Pete,

Didn't know you had also suffered from the 'C' word but it certainly sounds as if your mind was taken off the problem in the nicest possible way! I'm afraid that, although I was 'fully' washed in Colchester Hospital for the first three days after my recent operation, I really wasn't in a fit state to enjoy the experience. Not a comment on the nurse's looks, more a case of being heavily aneasthetised from the waist down!

Hope you are fully recovered now - was it over-use of the foot pedal whilst playing?

Kind regards,

Jock.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Up and dressed in time for the GP, which was very entertaining in a damp sort of way, then became quite horrid at the end, unseen by the tv and unconnected with the result. A very muted podium ceremony - and rightly so.

Bright and clear here today, but still chilly compared to recent weeks. Fewer flies around, which is nice. The cluster fly season has been with us for a few weeks, and they do hunt in big squadrons.

Hope your day going well.

Pete,

Didn't know you had also suffered from the 'C' word but it certainly sounds as if your mind was taken off the problem in the nicest possible way! I'm afraid that, although I was 'fully' washed in Colchester Hospital for the first three days after my recent operation, I really wasn't in a fit state to enjoy the experience. Not a comment on the nurse's looks, more a case of being heavily aneasthetised from the waist down!

Hope you are fully recovered now - was it over-use of the foot pedal whilst playing?

Kind regards,

Jock.

Ha! Yes. BUPA Hospital in Warley, Brentwood.

Embedded melonoma in sole of foot.   I had two operations, the second of which went very deep into the foot. Apparently the sole is impossible to suture so they had to take skin transplants from my upper thigh (which was the only painful part of the process because the dressing size was huge) it ended up looking like I’d been shot by a 12 gauge Shotgun shell filled with the larger form of birdshot....

I’ll tell you about my later diagnosis of Leukaemia at a later date - I thought I was a goner that time - but - still alive and kicking, I’m pleased to say.

I’m firmly of the belief that a positive mind set helps in cancer recovery. Not the total answer, that’s crazy, it helps, though.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, my health problems seem trivial to what some of you have gone through. Talking of health problems we still haven't heard from Don (or Tim for that matter), I hope its a case of no news is good news.

Thanks for the info Pete, sounds scary. A distant relation (Daughter of Son in Law's Sister!) contracted Leukaemia a while back and almost died from it. I'm glad to say that she is in remission and has managed to raise a colossal amount for research (see www.justgiving.com/Lauren-Murrell ). She had just finished a very successful university education and was looking forward to a glittering career when the dread disease struck. Her greatest problem was extreme reaction to the chemo which made her unable to swallow and she spent over a year in hospital, quite a percentage of which was at 'death's door'! Incredibly, she still had the guts to start the fund raising and her story has given me great encouragement to fight my own battle. Sadly I am far from wealthy and so have only been able to make a token effect on her total but, as they say, every little helps! All the medical staff that I deal with say the same as you when it comes to 'will power', and I don't think we fully understand just how much of a part it plays in backing up the medicine. Joanna says that I've always been a bit bloody minded so should do well in that case!

Kind regards,

Jock.

PS John(CB) - no post last night then three come along at once! 

• RMweb Gold

Too much written over the last few days for me to play catchup, so my usual salutations etc to fellow ER's applies.

My last few days:

Wednesday:

Rehand bedroom door and paint landing side.

Final admin done for TRMG annual exhibition.

Pick up hire van, then travel to Margam to stay with mother.

Thursday:

Margam to Senghenydd to pick up friends heavy stuff for his move to Llanwrtyd Wells (LW).

Load van

Fall out of van and sprain right ankle (prob torn deltoid ligament)

Finish loading van.

Drive to LW, unload and then return for second load.

Return to LW with second load, having avoided falling out of van this time.

Return to Telfland.

Friday:

Limp around a bit and print out paperwork for exhibition.

Return van to hire company.

Go to venue and set up

Limp some more

Saturday:

Exhibition today so up early, limp around

Travel to site.

Things go smoothly all day................this is worrying!

Pack up

Find out club has made reasonable operating surplus from event

Find out I've lost my best prescription reading glasses.

Take bookings for layouts and demos at other shows

Go home and collapse in bed having been sure to be seen limping.

Sunday:

Got up and made loaf with 60/30 split of white and wholemeal flour.

Made new recipe Welshcakes with cinnammon and apple.

Obergrumpenfuher eats 4, and then a fifth when they had cooled down.

Ordered to make more soon.

Sit down to catch up on ERs, but too many pages!

Not mentioned in the above was the operating surplus I managed to make:

Thursday's efforts resulted in a rather large bag of 7 foot bamboo canes (about 50-60)

A table saw (used twice) as my friend bought it but really doesn't like all the nasty teeth at high speed.

An air rifle that need a little bit of cosmetic refurbishment, the main cost being a telescopic sight to make it work properly. (No open sights on a PCP rifle, just a scope rail.)

Saturday resulted in the sale of some surplus locos and coaches from my 4mm fleet.

I'd also overhauled a live steamer for an old friend, who gave me a Heljan class 47 (Green SYP) by way of a trade.

And of course I also have a cracking bruise to show for my efforts at vaulting out of a transit van!

So overall, a profitable few days.

• Like 8

. . . . . . .

Andy(Andyram), we were beginning to worry - glad you're back on line. I've always had very quick results from the Gas or others by e-mailing the CEO direct. This site gives you their direct e-mail addresses and it has never failed me as a means of getting prompt action : www.ceoemail.com. Suggest you keep it in your address book. Last time I had an issue with British Gas, it was resolved within hours!

. . . . . . 

Thanks for the link, Jock. Whenever my brother has a problem with any of the public utilities, I get long phone calls venting his frustration on my undeserving ear 'ole. That list should give him a more useful outlet!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

First off - my British Gas story, which shows their lack of competence.  When we moved from Lancaster to Norfolk, we ended the gas account, as the new property was not in a village that was served by that utility - our CH was oil.  So called BG again for final bill, and was advised that it had been sent to the old address - confirmed as it came with redirected mail.  Called again and asked where the refund cheque was (only about fifteen quid or so) and was advised that as we were not on a gas main or could be served off one, the BG systems did not recogise the new address, and as a result our account could not be fully closed.  Decided that in the circumstances, not to pursue this lunacy as being too much hassle.  We were assured that in the event that we became BG customers again, this would be rebated as a credit on the first bill.  About a year later, moved back to Lancashire, and the fun really began, as there were two properties with similar addresses and BG confused ours with the other, and when we rang in the reading, they sent the first bill which duly credited the £15 that we were due, but charging us some stupid amount as they had confused our reading, and that of our neighbour - who got a bill based on our reading as a result - and his account went well into credit.  BG blamed Transco as they had confused the meter points - Transco confirmed direct to BG (apparently most unusual) that the meter points were correct on their records - took about six months to resolve, so we finally cured matters by getting our gas from what later became E-on (who were marginally better).

Jock - I saw 46115 on the Thames Clyde at Kilmarnock a couple of times, before Holbeck started sending A3s and then some sort of horrible vibrating mechanical boxes with odd numbers starting with D.  That loco has since been the bane of my steam excursions, as three years ago it was not ready after a major repair, and we got 44932 (which actually ran very well considering it was a 60 mph loco, and we were booked for a 75mph loco of two power classifications higher), two years ago, it failed at Hellifield with a hot box, and we had a diesel substitute, then last year it was deemed out of gauge for Warrington - Chester via Frodsham, and we wound up with 45699 which actually gave us a fantastic run albeit that it had an additional vehicle which had been added on the assumption of Class 7 power.  We almost stalled on Wilpshire bank, after a half hour signal stop, and once on the WCML we ran like the wind, and managed to half the arrears.  On the return we were running so early that many folk who were out to film us actually missed out, as we were 17 early at Farrington Jn.  Best run I've ever had with a Jubilee.  This year, I decided not to bother and 46115 turned up! 

I've now been told re flu jabs that I don't need to wait ten minutes as I've had a number without any ill effects.

Wasted a morning attending what was jokingly called a table top sale, which was not even as good as the car boot sales hereabouts - in fact it was a waste of 30p admission and petrol - then heard on the grapevine that there was one car boot running which had decided to have one more try, so off we went, and hey presto, there were NINE stands - most of which were dealers trying to shift the last knockings of their stuff.

Rich (HH) - soulds like a pretty mixed weekend.  Hope the ankle mends soon.

John (Killybegs) - from your description, I've a pretty good idea where your son resides - Hungerford's not that big a place, though I do like it a lot as it's been the source of many cheap and happy holidays for us, and was also the staging post on the drive North when we acquired Lily, as a single run from Lyndhurst to Lancaster with a nine week old Sussex Spaniel puppy was a big no-no.

On the Sussex Spaniel front, we've just discovered that Lily's litter brother has been judged Best In Show at the Sussex Spaniel Association open show.  We always knew that this litter was a bit special.

Generic wishes to those who are ailing - hope to hear something positive from Cape Town pretty soon.

Regards to All

Stewart

Edited by 45156
  • Like 7

Great video apart from the quality. Saw it yesterday as a friend sent it to me from Scotland.

Brrrrr  frost this morning. Motorhome readied for the road, heading off into no wi-fi territory. Back on line in a couple of days, inshallah.

John

There's a half-hour programme about this ride on BBC1 Scotland this Friday at 1930hrs - should be on cable and satellite.

Anyone heard from DonBrad lately?

Mal

• RMweb Premium

Anyone heard from DonBrad lately?

Mal

Last heard was about a week ago, and he was back in hospital due to problems with his wound, but nothing since from Don or Tim

Furniture un-flatpacked (for Sandy), lunch done, lawn mown, dogs walked and oven on ready to accept chicken. Sandy's also unpacked the holiday reading (only been back five weeks) and had unearthed my South Devon assortment of books, which are now lying beside me begging not to be ignored.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Baseboards finished and corked. Didn't get sanded as glue hadn't dried..job for tomorrow as is a coat of black paint (if I can find it...d'oh!!!)

Off to cricket ..3 games only as Eide means some teams are busy celebrating!

Enjoy the rest of Sunday!

Baz

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hmm, wood burner lit tonight!

Groudle Glen, chainsawing, knackered sums my day up.

Nice to see Andyram back, we worry when our regulars don't post!

Edit -  too knackered to spell knackered properly!

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Our heating is not on at the moment but it will come on in the morning if the temperature gets much lower!

We had a lovely afternoon with Aditi's cousin. She is going back to Delhi soon and seemed very happy that we said we will visit her daughter (who must also be a cousin of Aditi's too I suppose) who will be in the UK at university.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 3