The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Rather more worrying was the fact that neither backpack man, nor his wife, nor the couple in front of them, nor the woman in front of them, used the antiseptic hand wash before going into the surgery.  If they're typical it's not surprising that various nasties can spread so easily on cruise ships inhabited by hordes of wrinklies (unless, like Hurtigruten, they make sure the passengers use the stuff before entering the dining room and when coming onboard etc).

It never ceases to amaze me how many people still do not wash their hands after having a pee. Last time I was over (but it’s the same here too} I stopped at those Services in Wiltshire on the M4 and I swear I was the only one to do so. I used a paper towel on the doorknob on the way out...it’s revolting.

Best, Pete.

Morning all just,

Sunny here for now - odd really as it's just a few miles up the road from Benfleet. Clacton micro - climate?

An auspicious day as the HST125 was launched by BR in 1976. It's also the day of atonement or 'Yom Kippur' as the Jewish religion would have it. Perhaps there is a connection as it's sometimes known as a day of cleansing - out with the old passenger stock and in with the new?

Pete(Trisonic), you really had me confused with the latest avatar when I first signed in this morning, that is until I got to the explanation! Thought of you again last night as Joanna was watching a programme on the career of Kate Bush on the bedroom TV - I had no idea that Peter Gabriel was so involved with her early recordings and of course they played that lovely (IMHO) duet 'Don't Give Up'. The song, written by PG led to lots of speculation about their relationship I remember! Very talented lady. I fully agree about the toilet hygiene almost everywhere nowadays, what did their parents teach them?

Mike, I have to agree about the use of antiseptic hand wash - spending a lot of time at hospital lately, I've noticed that a great number of people ignore the many dispensers around the corridors and in the different wards and departments. Bet they would be the first to moan about infections caught whilst in there!

Sherry, how is the move going? Do you require a great deal of work to 'make it yours' or was it in a condition you can live with. Good luck with the first visit to the new church (assuming that might be tomorrow!).

Apparently there are a couple of 'must have' items in our local Morrisons, so I'm off to brave the poorly 'driven' trolley brigade!

Kind regards,

Jock. 

PS DD - wonderful view from your hotel, trains and sunlit ocean, Lovely. J.

Edited by Jock67B
  • Like 6

Jock, I got a message the other day asking if I was Peter Gabriel! So far as I know Peter does not play guitar (and I have more hair). And then I spotted a post on the “Frampton” layout thread inferring that I was Peter Frampton - again!  Peter F. is about half my size....

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Pete, Mike and Jock, 

When Matthew started at the local infant school I remember asking him what he had learned that day that was particularly interesting. He was rather amazed that other boys didn't wash their hands after visiting the lavatory. 

Tony

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

It never ceases to amaze me how many people still do not wash their hands after having a pee. Last time I was over (but it’s the same here too} I stopped at those Services in Wiltshire on the M4 and I swear I was the only one to do so. I used a paper towel on the doorknob on the way out...it’s revolting.

Best, Pete.

My other half who worked in infection control for a time said that lift buttons were full of bugs and she always pressed the button using her pen. Also the number of Doctors who never wiped their stethoscope after examining a patient was frightening.

Alan

One of my pet hates.

I've been known to shout at people leaving without washing their hands.

There must be an inventor out there who could earn a fortune by producing doors that will operate without having to use the handles.

• Like 3

. . . . . .

I've got a version of  Lady C on my Kindle -remembering the stir it caused when first published ( I seem to remember reading the "interesting" bits - well interesting to young boys).   Re-reading  it now I suspect that it was the inter - class  relationship wich really upset the establishment of the time? 

. . . . . .

When we were asked to give a review of a book of our choice, I took my copy of T E Lawrence's  translation of The Odyssey into school. My classmates were disappointed that it wasn't "another dirty book by that other feller".

Back from flu jab, son's and IKEA. Flu jab, in and out, Son's did what we had to, then IKEA. Did a bit of browsing round kitchens, got the storage stuff we needed, then spent more time queueing at the checkouts than in the rest of the store. Not helped by a pair of unruly kids who were allowed to run around uncontrolled and set off the alarms at the checkouts.

Feeling very dozy. And not at all well.

Stayed up last night to watch the Japanese GP practice and qualifying and got wasp-stung no less than 3 times, once on a very delicate part and twice on my inner thigh.

Do any of you French residents know if the Pompiers still eradicate wasp nests? This one is up our chimney, which has a woodburner, so I can't just spray up, even if that would be effective.

Unfortunately my wonderful neighbour Claude who would know (and is a local councillor so can get things done) is away.

• RMweb Gold

Feeling very dozy. And not at all well.

Stayed up last night to watch the Japanese GP practice and qualifying and got wasp-stung no less than 3 times, once on a very delicate part and twice on my inner thigh.

Do any of you French residents know if the Pompiers still eradicate wasp nests? This one is up our chimney, which has a woodburner, so I can't just spray up, even if that would be effective.

Unfortunately my wonderful neighbour Claude who would know (and is a local councillor so can get things done) is away.

Your neighbour would be useful as Google suggests phoning your local Town Hall. In some areas Pompiers still do this but charge between 25 and 60 Euros. I'm not a French resident but guepe and pompiers entered into Google seemed to provide some info (in French!)

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that. I've been pretty dozy today and didn't think of that. I'll contact the mairie on Monday. €60 seems like good value to me.

When I was researching French wasps on Google I got sidetracked and looked at what happens if people try to drive bee's nests out of their flues by lighting a fire. Apparently the dripping flaming honey can cause severe house fires!

I had to get rid of a wasp nest at our old house. The man at the shop said "just puff the contents of this container in at dusk". I never knew I could descend scaffolding that quickly.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all

Smiffy - sorry about your punctured anatomy. I think Tony's suggestion is as good as any. I assume the chimney isn't lined/sealed, otherwise lighting the woodburner would send them all upwards and out. The mill we used to stay in had a cover over the chimney, operated by a chain from the fireplace, and designed to stop the squirrels coming in. 3 wasp stings might make anyone feel a bit off-colour.

I share the experience of those who say a flu-jab can leave them a bit low for a day or two. It hasn't happened every year, but once or twice, certainly. My "free offer" on a flu jab isn't available until late next week, for some reason. I'd like to be vaccinated before coming to Blighty mid-month.

Weather is descending into showers, the first of which fell minutes after I'd put the lawn-tractor to bed, so for once my timing was right.

Hope your weekend is going well.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Rained like blazes last night, and dried up a little this morning, but since then, has been a bit unsure of what to do - currently quite sunny.

Was going to go on this today, EDIT for Debs - train video and information alert.

but in the end decided not to - it was going to York, then due to the ongoing steam ban on the ER, was rerouted to Carlisle.  From Real Time Trains, it appears that it lost time hand over fist and at one point was well over an hour behind.  Routing is interesting - Starting from Hellifield diesel hauled, Little North Western to Carnforth, then steam taking over, and running WCML to Preston, then via Wilpshire, back to Hellifield, then over S&C to Carlisle, where it arrived 38 late.  Return is a little less tortuous, being S&C to Hellifield, then reverse and Little North Western to Carnforth (presumably tender first from Hellifield, so should be a rapid trip on the last section - not).

ps I had my flu jab a couple of weeks ago, and this year had no ill effects.  It appears that it affected me more with the need to take a couple of days off work for the after effects when I was in employment!

Edited by 45156
  • Like 1

It was four stings (1 the day before) and I had the flu jab just before we came out...

The chimney has a flue all the way up, and that isn't blocked, was swept in February, so presumably the nest is in the chimney space next to the flue. There's a blanking plate, which isn't completely airtight, and they are coming from that, not into the woodburner. Unlike the starlings of two years ago!

A compatriot has told me of a company in Avranches which cleared out a similar nest for her - it isn't an uncommon problem, just one we've not had before.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

and they are coming from that, not into the woodburner. Unlike the starlings of two years ago!

At our old house we initially had a Husqvana oil fired central heating system. Starlings seemed somewhat prone to falling down the flue and incinerating themselves. I fitted a wire cover thing to the top of the flue. The wasps never seemed to go in, perhaps the oil fumes drove them away.

In our fireplace we have two method of “sealing” a stainless steel “hat” and mesh on top of the chimney outside. The other is reachable from the fireplace - a lever seals it hermetically from the room via a form fitting steel plate - which you have to remember to open before lighting a fire (preferably)!

I found another film using a drone of our local shortline the “Black River and Western”. Rather amateurish but still worth watching for the overhead shots of the Station, Yard and Maintenance facilities at Ringoes, NJ.

The BR&W is two lines; a tourist one and a serious but small freight line.

Enjoy, Pete.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

They could do with someone like you, Mike, to sort out the 'cute' railway system illustrated above.

Timetables involving connections are works of fiction.

Oddly I've just written to out local 'paper on the matter of mainline connections if our branch goes to a half-hourly interval - alas 3 minute turnrounds (at both ends of the branch) could get a little awkward if a supposedly connecting mainline train is 5 minutes late, or worse.  I don't think the half-hourly intervals fans have sussed that one yet.

As for sorting that lot at least I might be safer than I was in NSW when risk assessing and reviewing their timetabling process and I told their General Manager that he was one of the most significant risks to getting a timetable out on time (they do seem to like straight talking over there, most of the time).

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Oddly I've just written to out local 'paper on the matter of mainline connections if our branch goes to a half-hourly interval - alas 3 minute turnrounds (at both ends of the branch) could get a little awkward if a supposedly connecting mainline train is 5 minutes late, or worse.  I don't think the half-hourly intervals fans have sussed that one yet.

As for sorting that lot at least I might be safer than I was in NSW when risk assessing and reviewing their timetabling process and I told their General Manager that he was one of the most significant risks to getting a timetable out on time (they do seem to like straight talking over there, most of the time).

I was once summoned to a seminar to explore why there had been various administrative errors at a training school where I was in a temporary admin position following the death of the postholder.   Embarrassment had been caused on several occaisions so we were all summonned to the lecture theatre.  The Commandant set out the various things that had happenned and then asked us to think of any common factors so that things could be sorted.  As the most junior officer in the room i waited my turn and then said "  They all stem from decisions made in isolation by senior officers".   He bollocked me publicly for insubordination so I walked out.  He didn't have the Australian attitude. 

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 4

Well, that didn't go to plan.

We had intended to have lunch and then start the excavation of the bedroom. Good plan.

But we both fell asleep.

However we did get a good hour and a bit in up there, but barely touched the surface.

The evidence is now that the two week dustbin that was emptied on Thursday is now nearly full.

But the bonus was that Sandy passed me 'something with model railways on'. It was the first compendium of MRJ, something I thought I'd lost.

Back to it on the morrow.

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 3