The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning all from the boring borough. Kitty litter arrived on time. I think the poor Yodel driver is going to be fitted for a company issued truss in the near future.

My back has finally healed enough for me to attempt another section of the flowerbed edging. Managed to level, shutter, and pour another 5' section of concrete yesterday. Just waiting to see how long it takes SWMBO to notice. :O

Today I shall mostly be dodging cockwombles and attempting to study for the course I'm on next week.

Have a good one.

Visualise whirled peas.

• Like 2

Heh.

Back from the Doc - it's just a bad sprain. Flu injection and mild lecture about weight etc. Should be better in six to eight weeks...

Still waiting for the Hub. Going to draw some tank sides to convert a Hornby E2 short tank to extended tank. May work or it may not... A bit of an aimless day after yesterday.

Julie tells me that I should pack modelling stuff to take to France next week (we're going for a month) and I agree - but does anybody know if running a soldering iron through an extension cable (French plug at one end, English sockets at the other) will cause problems/overheat/catch fire/cause catastrophic meltdown at nuclear facility? Or should I buy a French soldering iron for France? I'm buying a new brushcutter so I could just slip one in alongside...

Mind you, unless my ankle gets better quickly the brambles are safe.

• Like 7

Morning all,

Mal, I remember those views well - I think Arthur's seat is one of the loveliest attractions in the country and completely free! I used to park near Duddingston Loch to photograph all the different species of birds and the do the long walk, taking in the crags, the summit and the chapel - it was in the mid seventies and I was fit then. Hope the kids got as much enjoyment from it. I often wonder how many people visit Edinburgh without knowing that such a natural wonder exists nearby?

Good news in the 'West Briton Newspaper' yesterday - the vintage Hawker Sea Fury that crashed at Culdrose Air Day in July has been picked up on three trucks and is on its way for repair to North Weald airfield in Essex (where I learned to fly one or two years ago!). I still don't know how much damage was sustained by the engine when the propellor bit into the runway. There was a 'Bristol Centaurus 18 cylinder radial engine for sale on e-bay in July with a starting price of just £750 if they're stuck! Weald Aviation engineers are going to rebuild it to flying condition on behalf of the 'Fly Navy Trust'. Great that it is reparable and of course that the pilot escaped injury as well!

I have to act as 'spider-man' in our house as Joanna hates them. I look on them as allies disposing of nasty bugs and like to have several 'pet' ones in the greenhouse as predators of whitefly and the like, even if the webs have a nuisance value! If I have to remove one from the house to keep madam happy, it is always done gently, releasing it carefully outside to continue the good work!

Today in 1972, Norway voted 'no' to joining the European Union - I make no political point, just throwing in the fact!

Dogs and grand daughter breakfasted and the latter safely ensconced in sixth form - we'll probably just get in to a routine by the time the visitors go home!

Sherry, good luck this afternoon, hope there are no paperwork glitches and that you can move in soon.

Have a good Thursday afternoon all,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

And there was me thinking that Schwarzkopf made shampoo!

I thought she was a soprano (Elisabeth)....

Morning all

Lovely day again, and temperatures scheduled to rise over the next few days - 25 on Sunday, they reckon. I can cope.

The spider thing is interesting. Deb and I agreed we liked spiders for their useful work on flies - but they can make you jump when they suddenly appear. The story, so I read on Facebook, is that the Summer (or something like that) has meant that this Autumn we will have an influx of larger-than-usual males looking for female company. I am privy to the Facebook page of an RMwebber - not an ER - where this was being discussed in detail. Said chap and his correspondents are all arachnophobes, but the discussion between two ladies was gross beyond repeating here - save to hint that one of them felt keeping one's intimate apparel in place could be vital! As for trussing up their prey, I observed a really wispy spider doing just that to a large fly the other day. Justice!

Have managed to book my tickets to Blighty for October. The lady in the SNCF office was mustard, much quicker than her male colleague, who is very nice, but always seems to be searching, while she was just on it. She even noticed that my 50% discount on the leg back from Paris was still more expensive than a leisure fare on offer - saved me a couple of euros.

I had dropped off a jacket to be dry-cleaned yesterday, and went back this morning to retrieve it, offering my ticket to the lady, who didn't seem to want it. I did feel a fool - the retrieval is automatic by inserting the barcode in a reader, and a sort of conveyor runs round until the right item is dispensed. What it is to be out of touch!

On the way to Le Mans in recent months there have been some roadworks, with something crossing the road at 90 degrees, and a diversion over a bridge being constructed. A couple of months ago I realised it is the new TGV line, avoiding Le Mans. Today the south ramp of the bridge is still just a sandy shape, while the north ramp has tarmac on it, and the Armco being installed. There's a brand-name that has entered the Lexicon. I bet not much of the barrier in Europe has ever seen the sky over Middletown, Ohio!

Hope your week progressing to order.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Julie tells me that I should pack modelling stuff to take to France next week (we're going for a month) and I agree - but does anybody know if running a soldering iron through an extension cable (French plug at one end, English sockets at the other) will cause problems/overheat/catch fire/cause catastrophic meltdown at nuclear facility? Or should I buy a French soldering iron for France? I'm buying a new brushcutter so I could just slip one in alongside...

Just how powerful is your iron? My 100W one would draw (100/230) amps ie less than half an amp.  As we are both nominally 230V at 50Hz as long as your cable can handle the current it can't be a problem. I'm assuming the extension cable is proper cable and not a bit of bell wire or similar.

Thanks, that's exactly what I needed to know. The iron is 40W.

It's a standard UK extension block, just with a French plug on the end. We use them for stuff we take back and forth and don't want to put a permanent French plug on.

We have heavy-duty extensions for heaters and so on.

I actually like spiders because they get rid of all sorts of other bugs. However Her Lady Bossness Who Must Be Obeyed At All Times Immediately does not so I frequently hear the scream of "BOOOOOOOOOB - WILL YOU GET THAT BL##DY THING AWAY FROM ME AND OUT OF HERE......NOW!!!!!!!!!!" 

Naturally I comply with her wishes - eventually. :whistle: 

Edit for spelling!

We have a small spider that 'lives' on the window in the utility room.  I havent got the heart to remove it, but occasionally feed it when small flies come in around the plants in the room.  I catch the flies and put them on the spider's web, and watch the spider scuttle out for lunch!

Talking of lunch, a kind colleague at work has just given me a nice piece of chocolate cake from a working lunch that I missed because I was doing some urgent work for him.  Nice to have your efforts rewarded, even in a small way.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Since we got home we have been busy. Matthew has been paying fees for LSE and sorting out paperwork. I've been stuffing the washing machine. His birthday present to me leaked into his suitcase so some of his clothes were a bit beery. This was an ale from his trip to Hobbiton in NZ. 

I wasn't prepared to scrub it down with cellulose in the car park, but had to be rather discreet on further visits to the loo.

:acute: No doubt, should anyone have noticed the unfortunate hue of your underpinnings, they`d have commented: "See, your Mum was right: It does make it sore!" :mosking:

Edited by Debs.
  • Like 1

16 here and partly cloudy, clearing later and they say up to as much as 26-27 next couple of days for a high - I have my doubts as yesterday barely topped 17 when "they" were predicting/expecting 22-23. Ah well, they have no clue as we've all agreed :jester:

We are also  "PANIC" household when it comes to spiders - the Mrs dreads them and I get similar calls to Bob (tho no enormous boob issues here!! :jester:  :jester: )to get them out of the house. She understands their utility and I have to relocate rather than dispense them to an untimely demise, but they still evoke ructions whenever one is spotted!

Mrs was stung on the foot by a wasp Monday evening whilst gardening and didn't seem to be "much", but by yesterday afternoon was very VERY swollen, so off to see the Doc. Said it's no real problem but placed her on a 6-day steroid course - this for someone who hates taking ANYTHING! Also means we (well she at least) is advised against getting her flu shot for about a month, and we were planning on doing that in the next day or two.

Bin day - and with great trepidation the recycle bin is out there WITH a ton of cardboard now folded/stuffed INTO the bin as advised on the last yellow card two weeks ago. Just hope I'm not red carded otherwise I'm calling the aresclowns and complaining/explaining where they can have the next round of cardboard shoved :)

Even though the equinox was three days ago, today is when we see the true 12 hours daylight here - well actually it's 12 hours and 58 seconds apparently.

After today the daylight time will "really" get shorter, sub 12 hours. London is "listed" as having 12 hours 1 minute and 8 seconds daylight today, and New York (for Pete) 12 hours 1 minute 38 seconds :) Enjoy it while you can everyone!

• Like 1

Afternoon all, it's taken me all day on and off to catch up. I've been travelling on business; aconference in Barcelona; it rained and I trod in dog's mess whilst distracted by a view of the railway station! but otherwise a good trip, in particular a couple of fine Riojas; a Marques de Murieta wnet down very well indeed.

Good to see various people slowly recovering and hope to hear more good news from Tim/Don in due course.

Very busy here as we count down to year end and everyone realises there are loads of things they want to happen and could I just look at this and sign off.....

I was cultivating a very fine spider at the kitchen window; one day it showed itself during the day so I was required to get rid of it.

Afternoon all - not long back from a quick jaunt over to the BMIHT museum at Gaydon for a much appreciated shuftie at Vulcan XH558... a truly awesome sight, not to mention sound. Awesome is an over used word these days but it just about sums it up! The crackle in the air is it passed overhead (five times) was visceral. Typically, my camera wasn't playing ball but my other half managed some decent shots with her trusty digi-compact which I'll post tomorrow. The turn out was very good for a working day but I suspect an awful lot of Jag / Landrover / Aston Martin employees made up the numbers somewhat!

Hope all's well and trust you're all not too bogged down with ills and woes ;)

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 7

Re spiders - my wife comes from a family with several generations of painters and decorators. We are not allowed to kill spiders - apparently they were known as "the painters' friend", since dirty cobwebs in a room were often the final push to a decision to have it redecorated. However, the first house we lived in when we were married was a rented cottage which had just been slowly renovated over about 5 years. It appeared that, during this time, a race of ginormous spiders had evolved inside. The family belief in safety for spiders was strongly tested!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Good morning all from a sunny and realtivly cloud free Algarve. SWMBO is about to depart for the beach. I think I'm going to drive up to Loule, the local station and have an hour there watching trains. Though it's only a sigle track line I hope to see 1 loco hauled intercity train, 2DMU's 1 Alpha Pendualr and hopefully an electric freight loco that will have brought the daily trai of aviation fuel for Faro Airport to the goods yard. It comes down in tnk containers and each day two lorries shuttle a trainload to the airport.

Then back to theapartment and hopefully fresh grilled sardines for lunch, (caught last night and bought at the quayside fishmarket.)

Cheers

Jamie

A quick upate. The sardines were lovely and I had a very pleasant hour at Loule watching trains. We've now got back from the beach and are looking forward to going out for a meal. As I'm retired does my tripout this morning count as trainspotting at work?.

I'll try and post a photo or two next week.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 2

I thought she was a soprano (Elisabeth)....

And married Norman. “Hey diddle,diddle straight down the middle” - would have sufficed after all.

Ian, the difference in your outlook from one year ago is definitely heartening.....

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Evening All

Just home from a day trip to Yorkshire, where it was forecast fine(ish) but it was raining here, and the rain followed us to Skipton and onwards to Ilkley.  Still not sure which of the three establishments in Skipton selling pork pies is the best, so I think that more research is needed here - but to find three shops selling first class products within 200 yards is quite something - no doubt Melton Mowbray does have more, but I've never been sure about most of the pies on offer there.  One word of pork pie warning, as one shop sells these still warm from the oven, and the jelly is not fully set - not a good idea to shove it, complete with paper bag, into a jacket pocket for later consumption!!!

Generic greetings, as though I'm caught up, there's a bit much to comment on individually and Lily's mithering my for a walk.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Evening All

One word of pork pie warning, as one shop sells these still warm from the oven, and the jelly is not fully set - not a good idea to shove it, complete with paper bag, into a jacket pocket for later consumption!!!

Stewart

Stewart

the trick is to try and eat them hot without getting the pie "gravy" down your shirt/arm/trousers..it can be done but takes a bit of training....

Spiders are lovely - only problem I had with them was at Castleford where there were millions of them and they had built webs between the  stumps!!

have a great evening

Baz

• Like 2

I don't mind spiders per se, although I tend to interface with them via an upturned glass. I just wish they wouldn't leave little brown poo stains on the white paintwork.. I'm also convinced I have one living inside my driver's wing mirror as there is a cobweb there every single morning without fail.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Since we got home we have been busy. Matthew has been paying fees for LSE and sorting out paperwork. I've been stuffing the washing machine. His birthday present to me leaked into his suitcase so some of his clothes were a bit beery. This was an ale from his trip to Hobbiton in NZ. 

I hope not all of it leaked out.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I don't mind spiders per se, although I tend to interface with them via an upturned glass. I just wish they wouldn't leave little brown poo stains on the white paintwork.. I'm also convinced I have one living inside my driver's wing mirror as there is a cobweb there every single morning without fail.

Door mirrors seem to be a favourite place for spiders. I have had a spider in my drivers door mirror for a couple of years. The other day a large bluebottle was caught in the web, it was far larger than the spider which however managed to maneuver it into its larder. Like snakes spiders can go for some time without food and they then gorge themselves.