The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

It's raining, Mrs Stationmaster thinks it's next week, Sammy's conjunctivitis is improving gradually, and I'm off on a layout visit in Newbury this afternoon (Western outline of course).  Oh and the new pea gravel is very helpfully being washed by nature.  That apart I hope the trains will have recovered from yesterday's incident at Slough as the Newbury trip involves a series of connections.

Have a good day one and all.

I'm now back and not before time as well after seeing Dog's last comment. I've also just caught him trying to do something unspeakable (and impossible) to my laptop so I've put him somewhere to reflect on his future behaviour.

attachicon.gifIMG_1453-1.jpg

Time for a coffee and then into unknown territory with my soldering iron.

FREE THE SUTTON DOG!! :jester:

Mornin all

Laurence

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

As usual, it's taken about 45 minutes to catch up on two days' drivel educated and erudite discussion.  Seriously, it has to be a general best wishes to all the posters with pains, aches etc - with a specific mention of Jock's progess which is most pleasing - just hope that soon we can make similar posts about Don.  Fighters, both, and it's great to be able to offer some cyber-support.

Off to Adult College in a little while, as I booked up two courses on business book-keeping while I was jobseeking, as it seems that Sage is now a requirement for many jobs - then retired and don't need it any more.  In any event, the second course was cancelled due to low numbers, so I've booked up to do stained glass instead - something that 30747 did many years ago, and she has encouraged me to do this as the course is on offer at no additional cost to me.  So I've rooted out all the tools that I'm likely to need, but many of these have lurked at the bottom of a toolbox for some years, and will probably prove to be pretty useless - my glass cutter is about 30 years old, and I don't think I've lubricated it since it was "filed away".  30747 has a better one somwhere which is probably only twenty years old, but can we find it?  Oddly, the course information sheet only mentions the need to take some safety related materials like goggles and wrist guards, as well as an apron - nothing about any tools of the trade at all - perhaps they're supplied?

Lily's hot spots have cleared up a treat now, and she's looking a bit more relaxed

post-103-0-09954300-1411553671_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the advice about the eyes, but according to 30747 there is a bug going round at her work which does cause blurring of the eyesight, and it appears that I've caught same.  I used some of her artificial tears which had positive effect, so I suspect that this is all caused by a drying of the surface of the eye.

Best go now, as I need to sort out my tools etc, then decide whether to brave Messrs Stagecoach or to brave the Lancaster traffic myself - not now necessary as I've just had a phone call to say that the class is cancelled today as the tutor's sick!

Regards to All

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

It was cold first thing - 3 degrees on the terrasse at 8 a.m., which is, I suppose, 6 a.m. in old money, i.e. GMT. Taters, whatever. I wanted to get to Le Mans today to buy tickets for my forthcoming trip to Blighty, and it seemed a good idea to get my hair cut at the same time, as the hairdresser is only just across from the SNCF shop in the out-of-town mall at La Chapelle St Aubin. But despite being up and making da tea just after 7, it was after 9 by the time I'd done the morning feeds (including mine), showered etc. And thus when Aurore finished my hair, the SNCF shop, with only one desk in use, had a queue of several. So I'll go back tomorrow.

The early-morning mist has cleared and the temperature is now heading back towards the high teens. The garden awaits as usual!

Hope midweek finds you in good form.

• Like 3

Mornin' all,

School governor hat on and in school this morning. The departure of our vicar for 'pastures new' left the Special Needs governor role uncovered. It is much easier to be in school assessing those needs live, relating them to the current legislation, than to simply be reading dry text continuously...I'll have my 'L' plates on for a while. Off to work this afternoon.

Have a good day all.

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 1

Hi All,

I thought I maybe should show what arrived this morning! Three(!) German, nay Prussian locos direct from Germany!

attachicon.gifP1150797.jpg

Top to bottom, S10.1 express passenger 4-6-0, S6 express passenger 4-4-0, G10 heavy goods 0-10-0

This is my favourite though;

attachicon.gifP1150798.jpg

A Fleischmann model, the S10.1 (S = Schnell zug lok, express loco!) was a four cylinder compound loco, designed by Robert Garbe and built by Schwartzkopf, Berlin between 1910-1914. 202 examples were built altogether and on test, one reached 154Kph (96Mph).

What appeals to me is that lovely olive green livery and with the red/brown underframe, it puts me in mind of the old Great Western livery, kind of like "City of Truro"!?!

All I hope is that bearing in mind the date, no-one is offended by this - it's only a model!

Cheers,

John.

They are lovely John, although I prefer the 4-4-0. The reason for my ? is because I don't understand the date/offence thing, or is it me just being thick as usual?

Ed

• RMweb Gold

I'm now back and not before time as well after seeing Dog's last comment. I've also just caught him trying to do something unspeakable (and impossible) to my laptop so I've put him somewhere to reflect on his future behaviour.

My Booza says he needs to get out more

post-6662-0-90661700-1411557893_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

Afternoon All,

Been out on graveyard duty this morning but only in a supervisory capacity until I get the all clear - the fresh air was most welcome. Really itching to get back to being able to walk the dog myself, just got to be patient for another couple of weeks.

Stewart, thanks for the kind comment and I'm with you on the Cape Town front! Very cheering news about your eyes, always good to have a reason, and Lily's improvement simply puts the icing on the cake.

Neil, I hope that the hospital trip you mentioned in your post doesn't point to anything serious for Debs. Please wish her well from us, and I hope this visit transpires to be much more pleasant than the last one!

Sherry, glad to see that you arrived home safely and from your posts, appear to be in good spirits. How is the move to the new abode going - such events are rarely without stress. Still I understand that the love of your life is currently in Le Mans arranging tickets for his impending visit to blighty. (Correction, tomorrow as he obviously shares my abhorrence of queuing!)

John (Killybegs), I hope you have a safe journey tomorrow - as a matter of interest, what is your preferred route across the Irish Sea? When I was young, I used to use Stranraer to Larne often, my dad took me to the Ulster Grand Prix and the North West 200 regularly and because he was an engine driver, we got free passage on the ferries (run by the railway at that time I believe) and the Northern Irish railways! Remember it being very rough at times but I discovered my 'sea legs' at a young age, once being almost the only customer in the on-board restaurant for breakfast on the night ferry - the serving ladies really piled up my plate as they had loads of food cooked and few customers! I've said it before I know, but ERs and RMweb in general, awaken lost memories constantly!

Dave (Tor Giffard), a most important role to take on, great responsibility - good luck with it!

John (Allegheny 1600), thought the apology might be because Debs could be looking in HaHa! - just left a post on the Windley thread.

Dick, the pain scale number seems to be dropping daily, so lets hope that all the driving duties today don't put you back to square one! Have you examined a medical solution yet? It is difficult to think straight and have a normal life whilst enduring so much discomfort. Having said that, my phone alarm has just alerted me that it is time for my next dose of medication!

Hope you all get safely over the hump,

Kind regards,

Jock.   

• Like 6

HUMP day - wet, though only drizzle, overcast and 16. To remain pretty much that way all day.

Drive in was actually bearable today, given it's only drizzle and no blinding sun, the idiots drivers seemed to be able to cope almost acceptably!

Package came yesterday with these;

post-20244-0-10200000-1411566837_thumb.jpg

a rake of 7 BR/WR Bachmann MK1's. They're absolutely stunning, what amazing detail - I just love them... :senile:

OK - catch you all later, HUMP day takes hold and I need to work

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 12

Morning All

.....Lily's hot spots have cleared up a treat now, and she's looking a bit more relaxed

attachicon.gif001.JPG

I'd say, from the photograph, grumpy rather than relaxed..... :O But a lovely looking girl (does she need Swiss Paw-Pal?)

As for the PSDs (Poor Stuffed Doggies)..... what is the world coming to if people we think as TNERTs (Top-Notch ER Types) can reveal their sordid and cruel side and escape censure. Surely ER has no place for those BRUTES that stick PSDs into ovens or dangle them over certain-death drops....

Disgusted in Switzerland

Edited by iL Dottore

Home. And what a mission that was...

Carshalton-Bermondsey - 1½ hours. Satnav said 31 minutes! Vast numbers of bikes, some of which had sentient riders. Thw separate occasions of buillder's trucks blocking small roads...

That made us quite late to pick up GS. Then ½ hour to get to Peckham - with the knowledge that if we were late he would lose his appointment, and this was for a multi-agency progress evaluation and assessment to make plans for future treatment, so no pressure there! Made it with 1 minute to spare.

By this time my petrol was running out. When I started the computer told me that I had enough for 145 miles, but by the time I got to Peckham half of that was gone. A quarter of an hour driving round looking for amparking space depleted it further, so I found a petrol station and waited there until the assessment was over, then picked up GS to got to his nursery in Waterloo, close to the station. Round the Elephant & Castle for the second time! At least by now there weren't so many bikes on the roads...

Half an hour to get there and then home - another hour.

At least Julie treated me to lunch at the Grange in Beddington Park (if you haven't been there, Bob, you should).

By this time the foot&ankle was in uproar, pretty nasty (still is). What a morning.

Free afternoon then some Tediously Political this evening. I don't really want to go, but I have to as I'm chairing the meeting!

I wish I'd had a parcel to open...

Hi All,

I thought I maybe should show what arrived this morning! Three(!) German, nay Prussian locos direct from Germany!

attachicon.gifP1150797.jpg

Top to bottom, S10.1 express passenger 4-6-0, S6 express passenger 4-4-0, G10 heavy goods 0-10-0

This is my favourite though;

attachicon.gifP1150798.jpg

A Fleischmann model, the S10.1 (S = Schnell zug lok, express loco!) was a four cylinder compound loco, designed by Robert Garbe and built by Schwartzkopf, Berlin between 1910-1914. 202 examples were built altogether and on test, one reached 154Kph (96Mph).

What appeals to me is that lovely olive green livery and with the red/brown underframe, it puts me in mind of the old Great Western livery, kind of like "City of Truro"!?!

All I hope is that bearing in mind the date, no-one is offended by this - it's only a model!

Cheers,

John.

Very nice John, I do like the Prussian Livery.

Bodge.

Home. And what a mission that was...

Carshalton-Bermondsey - 1½ hours. Satnav said 31 minutes! Vast numbers of bikes, some of which had sentient riders. Thw separate occasions of buillder's trucks blocking small roads...

That made us quite late to pick up GS. Then ½ hour to get to Peckham - with the knowledge that if we were late he would lose his appointment, and this was for a multi-agency progress evaluation and assessment to make plans for future treatment, so no pressure there! Made it with 1 minute to spare.

By this time my petrol was running out. When I started the computer told me that I had enough for 145 miles, but by the time I got to Peckham half of that was gone. A quarter of an hour driving round looking for amparking space depleted it further, so I found a petrol station and waited there until the assessment was over, then picked up GS to got to his nursery in Waterloo, close to the station. Round the Elephant & Castle for the second time! At least by now there weren't so many bikes on the roads...

Half an hour to get there and then home - another hour.

At least Julie treated me to lunch at the Grange in Beddington Park (if you haven't been there, Bob, you should).

By this time the foot&ankle was in uproar, pretty nasty (still is). What a morning.

Free afternoon then some Tediously Political this evening. I don't really want to go, but I have to as I'm chairing the meeting!

I wish I'd had a parcel to open...

Still Dick, here's always tomorrow to look forward to. hahhaaahaha

Bodge.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I'd say, from the photograph, grumpy rather than relaxed..... :O But a lovely looking girl (does she need Swiss Paw-Pal?)

That's her relaxed look, Flavio, her grumpy look is much more serious - thanks for the compliment, she is beautiful, though.  She's usually good with other dogs, provided they meet on her terms - the stubborn streak in Sussex Spaniels is a breed trait, which is one reason why the breed almst died out, as gamekeepers wanted something more reliable.  You can find out a lot more about the breed here.

http://www.sussexspaniels.org.uk

Dinner duty with a chicken split between Lily and us means that a Korma is on the go now (surprise)

Edited by 45156
  • Like 5