The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

John,

Woodham's yard when it was the mecca of steam scrapyards was one of the tidier bits of Barry Island

Based on her sole visit to 'the island' Mrs Stationmaster duly declared Barry to be 'The dog sh*t capital of the western world', she reckoned there was more of it on the streets of Barry than there is in Paris.

PS 1 tonne of pea gravel duly applied 'out the front' - I'm told that another tonne is needed (and we do need some to finish the job we had started - the rest will be for 'other jobs' :O  )

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 5

Afternoon All,

I'm BAAAAACKKKK!!!!!! (didja missme? - probably not)

Will post some dog and train photos from my hols a little later (dog trains????)

I've skimmed through ER since my last look 8 days ago - loads of lovely doggy photos, some nice moggies and (gasp! shock! horror!) trains. Glad to see everyone managing to struggle on, notwithstanding what Nemesis, Adrestia, Clotho, Lachesis or Atropos has been throwing their way :)

Got some good reviews for Sir Toby and now my thespian days are done, I'll knuckle down to some serious railway modelling (woo-hoo :danced: )

Have a better one...

iD

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon, well yesterdays forecast for today was a miss, heavy rain has not appeared, the forecast changed mid morning to light rain and that has not appeared yet. Fingers crossed it does otherwise it will be out with the hosepipe to water  the autumn feed in. Forecast for tomorrow dry and cloudy but maybe that will be wrong.

Still it allowed me this morning to sort out our supply of logs with one wood store emptied and moved into the garage and porch ready for use.

Picture of Starbucks reminds me of one of the outlets in Naples Florida, situated on the ground floor of Barnes & Noble ( think Waterstones) when I first visited I found it amusing to watch people order their drinks, find a table then proceed to the magazine stands pick a couple and take them back to read whilst having their coffee etc. Once finished they then put them back on the rack. Not sure how that would go down over here.

Sadly no railway related magazines!

Our large beech tree has started shedding its leaves which indicates autumn is here and my least favourite job leaf collecting will soon start, 3 rather large Ash trees with preservation orders on them are situated to to one side of our property, sadly the wind tends to blow the leaves from them onto our back lawns! If they were situated on the other side of the house it would not be a problem well not mine anyway!

Oh well, enjoy whats left of today

Edited by Shedman5
  • Like 6

I'm currently flogging off a bunch of old diecasts on Ebay. I hadn't realised just how far the bottom has dropped out of that market. After postage and fees, I'm starting the auctions at around 99p above cost and still getting no interest. I'll give this lot another week then its off to the charity shop.

Also clearing out. Has anyone tried selling old vinyl LPs and 45s on eBay? Any advice? I don't want to flog the lot to a dealer for a couple of quid to find I've missed out on a hundred or two.

Found an uncashed cheque for US$110 from 2000 - wonder if they'll issue a duplicate 14 years on... :no:

Wonderful that Jock's doing well - be good to hear from DonB (or Tim)

Back to it

Mal
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Also clearing out. Has anyone tried selling old vinyl LPs and 45s on eBay? Any advice? I don't want to flog the lot to a dealer for a couple of quid to find I've missed out on a hundred or two.
Found an uncashed cheque for US$110 from 2000 - wonder if they'll issue a duplicate 14 years on... :no:
Wonderful that Jock's doing well - be good to hear from DonB (or Tim)
Back to it
Mal

Generally 45s tend to be where the value can be - if they're the right ones although some LPs (but not many from what I've heard can have value) while the rest are basically junk alas.

So what you are looking for most of all are early and rare recordings on 45s or unusual (issuer) labels.  Best answer is to consult an expert - unfortunately the one I know is a long way this side of the border but you could try a 'phone call to 01635 580595 (office hours) and you need to speak to Alan Pritchard but it would be sensible to get out a list first as he will invariably ask what you have and will be more helpful if you can tell him.  He can be a bit short at times but he has as good a knowledge of values of records as I think you will find anywhere.

Based on her sole visit to 'the island' Mrs Stationmaster duly declared Barry to be 'The dog sh*t capital of the western world', she reckoned there was more of it on the streets of Barry than there is in Paris.

PS 1 tonne of pea gravel duly applied 'out the front' - I'm told that another tonne is needed (and we do need some to finish the job we had started - the rest will be for 'other jobs' :O  )

Whilst I never had the apparently dubious pleasure of visiting Barry, I never found Paris "that bad" on a very VERY relative scale.

My personal vote for dog sh*t capital has to go to Madrid - when I was there, admittedly in the mid '80s, for 3 weeks implementing a system, there was more dog sh*t and fag ends on the streets than anything I'd experienced ANYWHERE, and that included living in Manhattan, right before they implemented the cleanup laws (and the invention of the pooper-scooper), and THAT was pretty bad too :(

Afternoon All,

I'm BAAAAACKKKK!!!!!! (didja missme? - probably not)

Will post some dog and train photos from my hols a little later (dog trains????)

I've skimmed through ER since my last look 8 days ago - loads of lovely doggy photos, some nice moggies and (gasp! shock! horror!) trains. Glad to see everyone managing to struggle on, notwithstanding what Nemesis, Adrestia, Clotho, Lachesis or Atropos has been throwing their way :)

Got some good reviews for Sir Toby and now my thespian days are done, I'll knuckle down to some serious railway modelling (woo-hoo :danced: )

Have a better one...

iD

Who??? Were you gone??? ----- Sorry, I simply COULDN'T RESIST :) :jester:

Well folks, as threatened... Holiday Snaps (Ha, ha, ha [maniacal laughter])

First off the Hairy Monster having fun:

post-123-0-92696800-1411487109.jpg post-123-0-79567400-1411487135.jpg

With our boss:

post-123-0-54912600-1411487229.jpg post-123-0-62289000-1411487899.jpg

and with his sweetheart, Caramel:

post-123-0-76048800-1411487275.jpg

And NOW (puts on his best Fantasy Island Tattoo [Hervé Villechaize] voice) DaTrain, Boss, Da Train...

Taken at Visp (Matterhorn-Gotthard Bahn-SBB joint station)

post-123-0-39559900-1411487754.jpg post-123-0-64106200-1411487779.jpg

post-123-0-59264000-1411487994.jpg post-123-0-71389200-1411488052.jpg

post-123-0-20461200-1411488094.jpg

Camera-phone snaps, alas....

post-123-0-01427500-1411488188.jpg

Have a good one...

Who??? Were you gone??? ----- Sorry, I simply COULDN'T RESIST :) :jester:

Naughty, naughty, VERY naughty....

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Glad to see everyone managing to struggle on, notwithstanding what Nemesis, Adrestia, Clotho, Lachesis or Atropos has been throwing their way :)

I'm so tempted to unleash the Furies these days! (Not upon anyone on here, I'll definitely need to point out!)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Not much use setting my resident furry on anyone!

I collected Aditi's new laptop and it seems to be working quite well. Very nice hardware, though it could do with a more intuitive operating system,  :jester:

I'm actually typing this message on it so if it copes with RMweb it should be OK!

Tony

• Like 4

Whilst I never had the apparently dubious pleasure of visiting Barry, I never found Paris "that bad" on a very VERY relative scale.

My personal vote for dog sh*t capital has to go to Madrid - when I was there, admittedly in the mid '80s, for 3 weeks implementing a system, there was more dog sh*t and fag ends on the streets than anything I'd experienced ANYWHERE, and that included living in Manhattan, right before they implemented the cleanup laws (and the invention of the pooper-scooper), and THAT was pretty bad too :(

I wonder how it smelt, on a hot day especially!?! Which must have been quite common.

I've walked through (part of) Paris in the mid '80's and found it all quite nice and tidy, I had taken the train down from the channel, had a couple of hours to kill before my train from Austerlitz so walked over, it was nice and quiet at around 6AM!

The smelliest place I've ever been was Fes in Morocco in the mid to late '70's - there is a lot of leather tanning there and yes! They use the old method of tanning (stale urine, eeugh!).

Sorry about, folks!

Speaking of that stuff, that's what it's doing outside at the moment!

Enjoy your evening/whatever!

John.

• Like 1

Exactly - notice how I typed it !

It's amusing that those who decry my claim to have knowledge of the subject frequently proclaim "Whilst I'm not an expert in the subject I'd just like to give you a pompous and patronising appraisal of your work".

anyway, enough talk of these types, they have their playground and we have ours !

Sorry but the words pot kettle and black spring to mind here.

• RMweb Gold

Sorry but the words pot kettle and black spring to mind here.

Go away and cause trouble elsewhere.

Amusingly when you disagree with someones posts the notification still shows up - so I know you've been looking at my postings for an opportunity to troll despite the fact that you've removed the disagreements  :nono:  :superstition:  :sarcastichand:

• RMweb Premium

Evening all, Ian your mentioning 'overhead' electricity supplies reminded me of Medina, once the capital of Malta and now a world heritage site. As most of the city is medieval in build most if not all the electricity is supplied by overhead cable. When the city became a world heritage site it was decided to place all the cables underground. In doing so they hit a snag, every time a hole was dug ancient archaeology was discovered much of it pre dating the Romans.  

• Like 6

I wonder how it smelt, on a hot day especially!?! Which must have been quite common.

Well, we were there in mid-August, I'll leave it to the readers to imagine, bear in mind most the city "sensibly" seems to leave for their holidays at some point during August, so they aren't subjected to it!

Evening all, Ian your mentioning 'overhead' electricity supplies reminded me of Medina, once the capital of Malta and now a world heritage site. As most of the city is medieval in build most if not all the electricity is supplied by overhead cable. When the city became a world heritage site it was decided to place all the cables underground. In doing so they hit a snag, every time a hole was dug ancient archaeology was discovered much of it pre dating the Romans.  

Not likely to happen here :) All you find when you dig a hole around most of the mid-west here is dirt, dirt and more dirt, even the odd American Indian artefacts are limited to some well defined areas, most NOT where western civilization (if that's what we are!!) established towns/cities...

So in the words of Andrew, "ASSCLOWNS and COCKWOMBLES..." <sigh>

Apparently the local energy company procedures for dropping and restoring power are for them to know and you to "guess". They said the power would be out between 8AM and noon "approximately", when we scheduled for our tree-trimming.

They showed up at 8 on the dot, of course. Turns out their regulations only require that they provide an ESTIMATE as to when it'll be turned back on, and they have a 6 hour window from the time they are notified to restore the power.

Tha means when I got back to the house at noon-o-thirty, no power, and after calling them, found out the above and NO WAY TO KNOW when the service will be restored, except "it will be by 6:30PM"!!

Back at Starbucks, more expensive coffee, and trying to determine how to shove the tree branches up a suitable orifice of the power company regulators :butcher:  :butcher:  :nono:  :triniti:

Edited by Ian Abel

To date I STILL don't understand why they don't run the lines underground here like "sensible" folks do. We CAN have that done, but it's at our cost, and since that still only covers the line between the house and the utility pole there's little point other than the aesthetics, the lines still run overhead between distribution points..however I digress.

Ian - "pros" - easier and quicker to build in the first place, easier and quicker to identify problems and easier and quicker to repair problems once found.

"Cons" - uglier and more likely to have weather-related problems.

Here on the west coast, in an active earthquake zone, underground power lines would not be a good idea in the event of a significant shake.

Ian - "pros" - easier and quicker to build in the first place, easier and quicker to identify problems and easier and quicker to repair problems once found.

"Cons" - uglier and more likely to have weather-related problems.

Here on the west coast, in an active earthquake zone, underground power lines would not be a good idea in the event of a significant shake.

Manhattan which has underground power lines suffers explosive power outages when it is Cold and Snowy - particularly if they have a couple of "above freezing" days in-between .

Best, Pete.

Generally 45s tend to be where the value can be - if they're the right ones although some LPs (but not many from what I've heard can have value) while the rest are basically junk alas.

So what you are looking for most of all are early and rare recordings on 45s or unusual (issuer) labels.  Best answer is to consult an expert - unfortunately the one I know is a long way this side of the border but you could try a 'phone call to 01635 580595 (office hours) and you need to speak to Alan Pritchard but it would be sensible to get out a list first as he will invariably ask what you have and will be more helpful if you can tell him.  He can be a bit short at times but he has as good a knowledge of values of records as I think you will find anywhere.

There’s a Rolling Stones LP that is valuable. It was for radio stations only and half of them (for Europe) were consecutively numbered by fountain pen. I know ‘cos I did it!

Can’t remember what it is called though...it has the first publicity shot of Mick Taylor with the band on the cover, I think....

Another from the late sixties which has retained it’s value is Martha Velez’s “Fiends and Angels” - one because it featured a proto New Cream (Eric Clapton, Jack Bruce and Jim Capaldi - actually one track may have Jon Hiseman on drums - on two or three tracks and the other by the sheer quantity of British Rock guitarists on it - all totally uncredited.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 3

It rained here today for seemingly the first time in ages, and I got more than I bargained for.  During a work site visit out in the rain, I was wearing my safety shoes, when one of my feet started to get wet - due to a small crack in the sole that I hadn't noticed.  New shoes required!  Both work & home seem to be really busy just now, so I don't seem to find time for anything like modelling or even much on ERs just now.  Off soon for a week in the Algarve, so will get the opportunity to chill out and unwind, which I am looking forward to.

As to power lines, our have been noticeably more reliable since the local ones went underground.  Before that, there was an overhead line in the field next to us, with one pole about 40 yards from us.  I was watching a cow in the field one day rubbing and scratching itself against one of the metal stays for the pole.  It managed to break the stay, which promptly whipped upwards and shorted the power lines with a very bright flash.  The cow charged off (unhurt) but rather surprised.  I rang the electricity board to report that our power had gone off  - any why!

• RMweb Gold

Something reminded me to say the local farmers have been muck spreading all day, and the whole of the area now smells like sh ...... t

I'm not sure what was on some nearby fields but it was very fishy. We used to get lots of agricultural smells here but the only crop round here is boot sales now. So I'm not sure what the fishy smell was!

Tony

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Martha Velez’s “Fiends and Angels”

I bought that cheap in a sale in about '71-'72 and liked it a lot. That line up probably explains why. I used to buy LPs on sale that looked interesting. Curiously I rarely bought a dud. I'm curious to find out what it could be worth.  

Pete

• Like 2

Another from the late sixties which has retained it’s value is Martha Velez’s “Fiends and Angels” - one because it featured a proto New Cream (Eric Clapton, Jack Bruce and Jim Capaldi - actually one track may have Jon Hiseman on drums - on two or three tracks and the other by the sheer quantity of British Rock guitarists on it - all totally uncredited.

For a time there were rumours that Jimi Hendrix played on it - I think it was just his drummer Mitch Mitchell. It was released in the UK by Blue Horizon as "Fiends and Angels Again".

Mal