The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Rain threatening but I'm glad I have a lunch date with Ian. I think I've earned it as ex hubby did his back in on the second day of deck staining so I've had to complete the job alone. Time off today for good behaviour! Oh, and because we've run out of the staining!!

Enjoy your day, everyone. I will!

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

The sun is shining and it should stay dry today.

Just got outside of some eggs & bacon and now on second cup of coffee.

Spent an enjoyable 4 hours at the Woking show yesterday which had some great layouts. Didn't spend a fortune but I did buy a coach. Even though I don't have a bridge to put it on I couldn't resist it as it was in the livery of an old local firm.

This morning it would appear that I'm helping with domestic stuff so I'd better get on with it to preserve peace in our time,   :threaten: 

Have a good one,

Bob. 

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, a day of mowing lawns complete with leaves and mucking out the outside animals..... after that I need to pick up the Boa and get a firm grip on it let it go through my hand then inspect my hand for snake mites, if it still has mites then it needs a bath as well...............I think the kittens are now too big for the Boa to regard them as food but I will have to keep them apart just in case. After that a bit of shopping and washing I refuse to iron these days. It is sunny outside so best get started.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning, dry and sunny here, seems ages since it rained, long may it last!

Thanks Jock for your comments re probate, having done it before for my late mother I found this one easier as I knew what I was supposed to be doing! Its still a lengthy process though!

I also spread some pea gravel yesterday, thankfully only 5 bags worth as a top up. Visiting 2 local independent builders merchants I found that at one I could get a bag for 5.40 inc VAT and the same bag size and manufacturer at the other for 2.30 plus Vat. Which is nearly half price, pays to shop around as they say!!

Lawns to mow, enjoy your day

• Like 6

Had a lie in this morning while Steph walked the dogs. Possibly had a glass or two of wine too many last night, so between the ribs and the booze, a rather uncomfortable night! However it's a gorgeous day here, clear blue skies and pleasantly warm.

This morning we're cleaning out the motorhome (Steph's been away in it the last two weekends) ready for my trip to the UK next week. Steph has been complaining about the loo being a bit smelly, I think it needs the seal replacing, so that's a trip over to the dealer tomorrow.

On, on

John

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Morning al.

Quite sunny here at present - it's dodging between the clouds but no rain promised (but then none was promised on Friday, and it hammered down).  Bright hot sunny day promised for tomorrow but at least we're now well into our tonne bag of pea gravel so it might not be too bad a job.

Proper job brunch currently underway then laddo and I will be off to Chinnor all being well.

Have a good day.

• Like 3

Final clearance and cleaning of the caravan and taking it back to storage. Summer's over.

Bright but cool. And so's the weather.

Sandy's starting on her GIS course from Oxford, so peace for the next ten weeks or so. Good job she's not reading this.

Have a good day, all.

• Like 3

Morning all. Just. Church bells have stopped, so that makes me pretty late on parade.

Apologies for downbeat post yesterday. In the end I went to the housewarming which involved large amounts of drink and a South African hog roast. The drink and the Ibuprofen work well together (for a given value of 'well'!). Hostess was a complete extrovert and I'm pretty much a total introvert, so I ended up being coerced into drinking half a bottle of Argentinian wine (at 14%) to 'taste' it. I naturally defended French wines and now I seem to be committed to bringing back samples from France for a wine guzzling evening later in the year... There was also 'watermelon martini' - watermelon juice and rum. Nice, but not a Martini by any stretch. I suppose that it was a punch, especially as it had cucumber in it. Does that count to my five a day?

We sorted out the probable arrangements for taking Grandson to his physio on Wednesday, and I've got a doctor appointment for Thursday, so a bit more settled.

Singapore Grand Prix beckons - I agree with comments on the GP thread that it's a bit of a nondescript circuit. Cars look good under the lights, though. 

Later - I've had an idea for converting a Hornby E2 short tank to a long tank by making a thin nickel-silver overlay. May try that later, or possibly start the frames for a Terrier, if I can stand up long enough.

Sorry not to be going to Woking, but I don't think I could stand long enough. Though at least I have the comfort that this is temporary, and I shouldn't really complain when others with much greater challenges bear them so stoically.

Of which, best thoughts to those in strife, and hopes for a better one.

Morning all,

Sunny here this morning which should make the shopping more pleasureable? Exciting times ahead as we have a by-election in Clacton on October 9th thanks to the defection of the well known expenses fiddler(allegedly) Douglas Carswell from the Conservatives to UKIP! The feeling locally is that Carswell could be UKIP's first Westminster representative but the Conservatives have picked a respected Frinton councillor, Giles Watling the actor, to stand against him. Strange turn of events as I new his father, the late Jack Watling, who older ER's will remember as an actor from films like 'A Night To Remember' or TV programmes like 'The Power Game'. I used to sink a pint or two with him in the Gardeners Arms at Loughton, as he kept a cottage next door whilst performing in London and often wandered in wearing his carpet slippers! Lovely man. He became a customer of mine at the Renault garage at Clacton in the late eighties with a Renault 25 - small world eh? I suspect that there may be a lot of tactical voting by Labour supporters to keep Farage from the inevitable gloating should his man win. Sorry for the political content but I thought it might amuse you!

Pete (Trisonic), hope the lassies band wins the day - expect you'll be a proud father in any case! Does music run through the family?

Ian and Sherry, hope you have a fine lunch - a taste of many more to come?

PhilH, hope you are enjoying OZ, we count ourselves lucky that our grandchildren are all nearby in the UK but on the other hand, it's a lovely place to have to visit!

Have a great Sunday all,

Kind regards,

Jock.    

• Like 8

Good day all its Tim.

Don was discharged on Wednesday only to be readmitted on Wednesday evening as the stitches from the wound worked themselves loose. He has had it stitched up again but he is still in hospital for precautionary measures and to avoid infections. He is eating solid foods and drinking coffee and orange juice. So hopefully he will return home soonish. Lovely day here in the mother city Cape Town and they predicted 28 degrees today.

Regards Tim

Good day all its Tim.

Don was discharged on Wednesday only to be readmitted on Wednesday evening as the stitches from the wound worked themselves loose. He has had it stitched up again but he is still in hospital for precautionary measures and to avoid infections. He is eating solid foods and drinking coffee and orange juice. So hopefully he will return home soonish. Lovely day here in the mother city Cape Town and they predicted 28 degrees today.

Regards Tim

Thanks for the update Tim and I hope it goes without saying, please pass on our best wishes for a speedy return.

Edited by Pete 75C

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that Tim, give Don all our best wishes. Jock, with a less than 1,000 majority it might be a surprise result. As I stated yesterday I 'helped out' at the Shenfield exhibition. During my free time I browsed Bob Pearmans books, as an incurable bibliophile it normally proves nearly fatal, to the tune of 6 books totaling £102! I only intended to purchase one book, vol. 3 of 'The Longmore Military Railway' which I did.

• Like 4

Thanks, Jock.

Having an "All-American Girl" is really quite fun! The Marching band Competition was held on High School’s Football Ground. Typical of the place the gridiron is an all-weather “astro turf” affair - which my neighbor says is better than Giant Stadium’s. It’s surrounded by a running track that’s up to Olympic standard. Of course the irony is that both their football team and athletics team “suck” spectacularly..... Their band went on last and as I found when I got there late  and fought my way through Hot Dog vendors etc, that “our” band was only performing an “exhibition” as they were the home side (why? no idea).

Band played selections from Respighi’s “Pines of Rome” and “Fountains of Rome” including a solo on Flugelhorn of “Nessum dorma” (guess what the theme was? Yep, Ancient Greece...”)  All joking aside the Band really excel.

Yes, my father and his brother were decent musicians of the: “You hum it  and I’ll play it, son...” and I was lucky that instruments abounded, though the dog wasn’t when I received a piano accordion one Christmas when I was ten. The violin, when even younger was a real mistake, though.

Many thanks for the update, Tim!

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Sandy's starting on her GIS course from Oxford, so peace for the next ten weeks or so. Good job she's not reading this.

Matthew's human geography course had lots of GIS. Leiceister Uni were very keen on GIS whatever sort of geographer one was.