The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

afternoon all, late on parade today as I had a meeting first thing and then back into the office for more meetings....

glorious blue sky and really quite warm at Borough Market Junction

What great news from Jock! And as people have said, let's hope we get similar good news re Don.

I suppose if we have Earldoms - or would they be pre Norman Eorldoms - we would then need subdivisions - the shires and below that the lathes/rapes/hundreds

I'm not so sure about federalism in the UK - it would in my opinion lead to extra layers of government, or more precisely, more layers of civil service and so cost and inefficienct. Add to that whether anyone could make a decision about which of our "holy cows" would be devolved...would it be politically accepable to pass control of the NHS to smaller areas for example? And god forbid we have x different local income taxes like they do in the states, all of which are not only at differing rates, but also have differing rules as to whether you are liabile in the state or not and how you calculate the liability...

having said that it would solve issues such as the West Lothian question.

Afternoon all,

A great big thanks for all the posts, such support has played a big part in my mind-set!

Just been to the doctors to have the bed sore on my heel dressed - she's happy with it so far and wants to look again on Tuesday morning.

PhilJW, mixed results for you, when you mention diabetes, what level do you have? My daughter has to inject whereas a couple of old work colleagues get away with control by diet. Hope however it pans out that you're able to cope with it!

John (Killybegs), that is a beautiful looking home in what we already know is a beautiful setting! Daren't let Joanna see it because she really wants to 'downsize' to a bungalow as we no longer need three bedrooms. The hanging baskets look like they've done well this year.

Neil, you just can't resist playing trains now and then! Lovely pictures and what a great modelling space - our loft is cluttered up with cheap and nasty truss girders which fill what would have been a usable space of c. 40ft x 18ft!

Gordon, have you got any stock left to run on Eastwood Town should you resurrect it? Wondered if you had plans to start a new project as yours was such an entertaining and informative thread. I'm currently following AndyP's 'Bitton' thread and a few others to keep the interest going!

Now all we need is some good news from Cape Town!

Hope the rest of Friday works for you all,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Edited by Jock67B
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

it will vanish for a while as it passes the manual signalling between Peterborough and Ely and then I can track it's progress and - hopefully - get out to photograph it.

I've watched it take the chord at Ely West Junction - sit there to allow several passenger trains to pass and it's now just crossed Ely North Junction and is heading my way - and in my minds eye / ear I can see / hear the duffs (47s) thrashing off the corner ! I love this modern train spotting, I still like going out and seeing what turns up - but when time is short (like today for me where I nip out during work) the more information the better I am able to judge things.

I wonder if Network Rail would put a panel in here so I can control the trains as well as watching them !

(It's now approaching "Shippy" (Shippea Hill) I've taken so long to type)

Edited to add a screenshot for those who haven't got a clue what I'm on about

5Z63, the train I'm after, is on the left hand side, near the blue rectangle, approaching Lakenheath.

post-6662-0-52446000-1411130923_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all,

A great big thanks for all the posts, such support has played a big part in my mind-set!

Just been to the doctors to have the bed sore on my heel dressed - she's happy with it so far and wants to look again on Tuesday morning.

PhilJW, mixed results for you, when you mention diabetes, what level do you have? My daughter has to inject whereas a couple of old work colleagues get away with control by diet. Hope however it pans out that you're able to cope with it!

John (Killybegs), that is a beautiful looking home in what we already know is a beautiful setting! Daren't let Joanna see it because she really wants to 'downsize' to a bungalow as we no longer need three bedrooms. The hanging baskets look like they've done well this year.

Neil, you just can't resist playing trains now and then! Lovely pictures and what a great modelling space - our loft is cluttered up with cheap and nasty truss girders which fill what would have been a usable space of c. 40ft x 18ft!

Gordon, have you got any stock left to run on Eastwood Town should you resurrect it? Wondered if you had plans to start a new project as yours was such an entertaining and informative thread. I'm currently following AndyP's 'Bitton' thread and a few others to keep the interest going!

Now all we need is some good news from Cape Town!

Hope the rest of Friday works for you all,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Jock I think Gordon is selling off his trains not required for ET to give him more space in his train room to work on ET after his golf matches slow down for winter.

• RMweb Premium

I'm feeling bad for only now having been able to read your good news, Jock, so may I just add an expression of happiness that things are looking up. And as others said, it really isn't a given that anyone affected by the Big C should hold up as well as you do!

• RMweb Gold

5Z63, the train I'm after, is on the left hand side, near the blue rectangle, approaching Lakenheath.

The real thing ! - not a good day for photography, into the sun and that general "Icelandic" dust in the air.

Eccles Road

19 September 2014

47786, Roy Castle OBE, and 47804 on 5Z63, 04:15, Carnforth Steamtown - Norwich Stn C.S.D. (14:55) - NENTA ECS

post-6662-0-72563600-1411133979_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Morning all

Quite a day yesterday. I haven't seen democratic engagement quite like it ever; the very good news is that the UK should get a written constitution at last - like every other modern west European state - and will become more federal, so possibly the best of both worlds.

And my mum will get a new pacemaker in 6 weeks or so because the old one is losing power after 7 years.

Have a good day

Mal

Mal, I prefer not to use the disagree button but fear I should have in this instance, in the sense that (somewhat tongue-in-cheek :jester: ) I'd not necessarily expect to see the "...the best of both worlds..." as the US have both circumstances you hope for and it continues to be a cock-up here on a regular basis.

It doesn't necessarily serve as providing a much better unity or agreement as you'd hope for or expect <sigh> and they've been struggling with it for almost 250 years already!

PS NHN stop putting temptation towards me... I don't need a railcar... but I want one!

Rubbish Baz - go ahead and get one then :devil:  if I went with "...don't need...", I'd not have a basement full of railway tracks, according to my family, and therefore probably not be here either!

I don't (well didn't is the correct tense) NEED a second 2-BIL, "BUT you've already got one of those haven't you???", but I do now, can't run a single unit on a mainline layout, can I???.... :drag:

Edited by Ian Abel

Devolution will now happen in England too - it’s just a question of how it will be set up.  That’s practically a “given”.

Wouldn’t worry too much, most of us will be somewhere else by the time it all happens....after all the draft proposals for Scotland will not be finished before 2015.

Best, Pete.

Morning all,

Great stuff for Jock, and good news for Scotland and the UK - where Mr Cameron is telling us that at last we'll have an answer to the West Lothian question, just hoping that it isn't 42 and they then set off to find out what the question was.  And apart from anything while there is a lot to be said for various forms of devolved/federalised Govt I sincerely hope that it won't increase the cost of governing us (but I wouldn't be surprised if it does).

PS Daily Wail link added as it gives the results -

I'm never that desperate, Mike!

As they say no one understands their own area more than the locals themselves.

Best, Pete.

Pete, Agreed, but that's where I feel the local/federal stuff often falls to pieces here, since the Fed is always deemed to supercede the local.

We have a particluar case in point right now in St. Paul, and it's even RAILWAY related!!!

The CP yard in St. Paul wants to expand A LOT - they already expanded once "illegally" without asking. The St.Paul and MN bodies both agree that as the yard is right next to the river, will encroach wetlands and some vital habitats, there should be AT LEAST an environmental study.

CP rejected that and went to the feds, whereupon the local bodies have simply dropped any further involvement since there has never (according to the local rag/responsible voices) been a circumstance where a railroad has been denied the "emminent domain/public transportation priority" argument as the particular Federal body is simply a mouth-piece for the railroads.

Sad fact is it's not "public transportation" at all, simply they want to expand the yard to handle their huge oil trains from North Dakota. Barely any "public" interest, just big business. Ignoring the facts of noise, pollution and environment. Big business/Feds 1 local priorities 0.

byron, on 19 Sept 2014 - 12:36, said:

That would be a bit of a "pane" then!

Mike

Please, PLEASE, PLEASE can we have a groan butto

But will it only work on Windows 8 ?

THAT DOES IT...... we also must have an "AAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH" button then!!!! :jester:

• RMweb Gold

Morning all, just. Had to visit the docs this morning and got good and bad news. The good news is that the kidney stone should dissolve and disappear of its own accord. The bad news is that I might be diabetic, so goodby to the cakes and biscuits.

Phil - my 12yo grandson Joe was diagnosed as Type 1 diabetic when he was four. He has to inject insulin daily - once in the evening with a slow acting type and then whenever he eats with a fast acting type.

He calculates the amount of carbohydrates in each meal and then has the appropriate amount of insulin. He has got an app on his ipod to help with this but is so used to it that he works most of it out mentally. This does mean that he can still (within reason) have the occasional cake etc and just has to slightly increase his insulin.

Edited by grandadbob

Great news Jock (yeah I know really late on parade/followup)...

Good news on Scotland I suppose - I was, with no direct interest, leaning strongly towards NO - but I'm sure there are those that feel the loss. Unfortunately there can only be winners or losers in the short term.

POETS day arrives amid a large amount of faffing about with spreadsheets and reports occupying my work time - as it should be I'm sure :)

We've a 17 mostly cloudy day heading for 23, looks like it should rain, but likely won't, either way is fine.

Expecting some available free, therefore, modelling time this weekend, but that's never a good sign, it usually means something will turn up around the house, fingers crossed.

Autumn officially starts Monday 9:29PM here - always wondered, should I rush out and watch the leaves instantly change colour then, do they know??? :jester:

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Aditi just phoned. Rain stopped work. The college is flooded, the IT room has been flooded from above and the main entrance/exit is under water but the car park exit was OK so everyone has been sent home. A lot of rain came down in a very short time. I did tell her it is 25C and sunny at home so the journey should get easier. I have been told we had heavy rain and thunder last night. We slept through it all but it does explain why all the moss on the roof was on the drive this morning.

Our neighbours have noticed that Aditi has been setting off to work early and coming home late for a couple of weeks so they have invited us in for a meal tonight. 

Tony

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Devolution will now happen in England too - it’s just a question of how it will be set up.  That’s practically a “given”.

Wouldn’t worry too much, most of us will be somewhere else by the time it all happens....after all the draft proposals for Scotland will not be finished before 2015.

Best, Pete.

That's quick, it's nearly 1710 now!

• RMweb Gold

The real thing ! - not a good day for photography, into the sun and that general "Icelandic" dust in the air.

Eccles Road

19 September 2014

47786, Roy Castle OBE, and 47804 on 5Z63, 04:15, Carnforth Steamtown - Norwich Stn C.S.D. (14:55) - NENTA ECS

attachicon.gifDAS594370.jpg

Crikey is that thing still around - a fascinating little reminder of this Stationmaster's past as I made the operational arrangements for the naming ceremony (not as simple as it might sound) and watched it from my office window.

Very strange weather here this evening. It has gone very dark and clouds are rolling down off the hills to the sea. Sadly no JLC today!

What's far more worrying is that, despite being breezy and 20 deg C, the washing hasn't dried!  :O

post-7952-0-16028200-1411149100_thumb.jpg

John

• Like 11

Pete, Agreed, but that's where I feel the local/federal stuff often falls to pieces here, since the Fed is always deemed to supercede the local.

We have a particluar case in point right now in St. Paul, and it's even RAILWAY related!!!

The CP yard in St. Paul wants to expand A LOT - they already expanded once "illegally" without asking. The St.Paul and MN bodies both agree that as the yard is right next to the river, will encroach wetlands and some vital habitats, there should be AT LEAST an environmental study.

CP rejected that and went to the feds, whereupon the local bodies have simply dropped any further involvement since there has never (according to the local rag/responsible voices) been a circumstance where a railroad has been denied the "emminent domain/public transportation priority" argument as the particular Federal body is simply a mouth-piece for the railroads.

Sad fact is it's not "public transportation" at all, simply they want to expand the yard to handle their huge oil trains from North Dakota. Barely any "public" interest, just big business. Ignoring the facts of noise, pollution and environment. Big business/Feds 1 local priorities 0.

I think that the laws relating to the railways have not been amended since about the 1850’s...............or the time of the “Robber-Barons”, a bit later. So long as anti-trust laws are not broken...

Locally however the Engineers on the old “Lehigh Valley” mainline are not allowed to sound their horns at grade crossings where it passes through a “Tony” neighborhood.

The locals here saw that as a “victory” - I’m not so sure having witnessed a lot of their driving...

Still at least we or rather “you” do have a formal Constitution (or Bill of Rights); a piece of paper long overdue in the UK.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Premium

Goodness me... Arriva gets everywhere.... no doubt it was late arriving...:-)

Actually, Arriva Germany was transformed into a branch of Netinera in 2011, which company is a subsidiary of the Ferrovie dello Stato group for their foreign engagements - FS now being the parent agency of Trenitalia as the principal Italian TOC.

Edited by 1216 025