The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a rather damp lgarve.  Up eary as SWMBO has given permission for a day trip to Lisbon by train so I'm sitting having a quiet breakfast before setting offto the station for a 3 hour trip onan Alpa Pendular.   I;ve managed to see the Referendum result andam very pleased.  Anyway, hope it doesn't carry on rainingall day otherwise I suspect that a high price willbe exacted in due course for my day of freedom.

Jamie

• Like 4

YES it's. NO!

Happy Jock!

I'm with you on that one, Jock. However my mum was from Arbroath and no doubt would have voted "Yes"  given the opportunity. She spent the last 45 years of her life in South London and moaned about the English every single day!

• RMweb Premium

YES it's. NO!

Happy Jock!

Whilst finishing my coffee, just had a ook at the results in detail.  Very interesting to see that the Islands have the lowest percentage for yes.   Something that my late father told me 40 years ago after a holiday he had up there.   I believe he was therein the early days of the devolution debate, 

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Steady Jock!

Morning from a dark and misty Leeds.

Her indoors off swimming, I am taking eldest Herbert to the railway station as he is off to Hull to do a sixth form open day with his PhD mentor.

Shopping will then be undertaken before any work can be done.

Hope we have the same sort of news from Tim on Don Bradley as we have have had from jock.

Its Friday so let's have a good one!

Baz

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Whilst finishing my coffee, just had a ook at the results in detail.  Very interesting to see that the Islands have the lowest percentage for yes.   Something that my late father told me 40 years ago after a holiday he had up there.   I believe he was therein the early days of the devolution debate, 

Jamie

Jamie,

My paternal grandmother was a Highland scot..and she would be happy now with the vote!

Baz

• Like 3

Good morning all,  

Just  seen the results  - amazed at the turn out percentage !    Good news on the Jock front too!   Now another day chaos looms  - probably -  

so what ever you're up to today  - try and make the most of it. 

Trev

• Like 1

I've been up all night watching the coverage of the referendum. And disassembling a Dapol Terrier and working out what I want to do to it in the boring bits.

The lids from Carte D'Or ice cream tubs make excellent work trays.

I'm knackered and going to bed.

(Once upon a time I would have done this and gone to work. I love retirement...)

• Like 6

Morning all

Quite a day yesterday. I haven't seen democratic engagement quite like it ever; the very good news is that the UK should get a written constitution at last - like every other modern west European state - and will become more federal, so possibly the best of both worlds.

And my mum will get a new pacemaker in 6 weeks or so because the old one is losing power after 7 years.

Have a good day

Mal

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Marvellous news from Jock, who is a most inspiring member given his problems. And ditto from his country of birth! I haven't got the detail of the vote - except to note Glasgow was one of the few "Yes" areas. Does that mean Aberdeen, centre of all the offshore wealth, voted No? They must see a bigger picture.

And, as one who lives abroad and gets paid in Sterling, the current strength of the £ against the euro is very pleasing, too. The No vote will have helped.

No storm overnight, despite all the lightning to the West, but we may get hail this afternoon.

Hope your week finishes on a high note.

• Like 4

trisonic, on 18 Sept 2014 - 18:35, said:

I know what 75f feels like, because I grew up with it. I know that 80f is getting pretty hot and 90f is hot. The comparable Celsius divisions are too big for humans.....I have no idea about the difference between 24C and 32C - the same range of temperatures that covers just 8 degrees. Celsius work best for me  in science.

Make sense, Gordon?

Best, Pete.

When I first learned it in school, the teacher made it simple. Just use the zeros. 0=water freeze 10=cool day 20=room temp 30=hot day 100=water boil. Everything else is just incremental.

• Like 2

Morning all

Quite a day yesterday. I haven't seen democratic engagement quite like it ever; the very good news is that the UK should get a written constitution at last - like every other modern west European state - and will become more federal, so possibly the best of both worlds.

And my mum will get a new pacemaker in 6 weeks or so because the old one is losing power after 7 years.

Have a good day

Mal

I tend to agree with you on a kind of federalization. There is no doubt that England too requires some kind of devolved government away from the centre similar to the US system. The United States of Albion.

Jock, MiL out of hospital on a new regime of medicine - not that she’ll take the bloody things with any regularity....still she perked up considerably whilst there and even more on the thought of going home so she may listen at last.

Ian, England got hammered by storms last night.

Best, Pete.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Morning, Friiiddaayyy!

Had a nice night out in the South of the rock last night at an indoor G scale line, ran the engineering samples of Trackshack's new commissions, the IoM Railcar in 15mm scale and GGR 'Sea Lion' in 7/8ths scale.  Photos are poor, compact camera and a large room, sorry!

post-10195-0-86728100-1411113180_thumb.jpg

post-10195-0-98192000-1411113191_thumb.jpg

post-10195-0-92123500-1411113211_thumb.jpg

post-10195-0-09626900-1411113226_thumb.jpg

post-10195-0-32874900-1411113171_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

Umm. I think I'd call that County Donegal railcar #19? Great it's working on Man, but provenance is everything!

Quite so, but as they only spent 10 years on the CDR before being sold, and have been on the IoM for over 50 years perhaps it's time to say goodbye!

Ducking for cover!

John

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, things going well I might buy a lottery ticket but knowing my luck an umbrella might be a better buy. I am very pleased about Jocks results with his attitude he inspires other people to keep going. The result from Scotland was closer than I thought it would be but better the devil you know won in the end.Weather here is gloomy again we did see some sunshine yesterday but it was late in the day. This weekend I will be mainly erecting a shed, hope you all have a good weekend.

Neil if those are your poor photos I would love to see the good ones.

Edited by skipepsi
  • Like 7

Had a minor, but slightly unsettling mishap this morning.

I was having a strip wash at the bathroom sink when the phone rang. Hurrying to answer it, I tripped over my slippers and lurched against the bathroom door. Recovering my balance, I got to the phone. The hearing clinic offering me an appointment. Downstairs, still naked, to check my wall planner. Date OK, put phone down.

Now, what's that big bright spot on the floor? Blood? Heard a soft plop behind me, and looked around – another red spot – Plop! Another! Plop! And another!

Thinking Hammer Horror movies, I glanced nervously at the ceiling …

Pull yourself together! Scraped against the door, remember. No pain, though. Probably caught my behind on a splinter. Check the gluteus maximus – can't feel or see anything – oh, there it is – I skinned my elbow, and the thin tissues bled freely.

Yes, yes, I know.

I can't tell my arse from my elbow ...

After a murky start, I am pleased to report that the sun has come out and all is well in Donegal (with or without railcars. Steph is away on another quilting weekend, so I am ticking off my job list. The plants have been watered, there are a lot, and it's time for a sit down and a coffee.

post-7952-0-50431900-1411119178_thumb.jpg

And that's just one corner!

John

• Like 14