The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

I’ve suggested to Rob (who is a keen modeler but finds himself restricted by no use in his legs, limited movement in his body and a lack of a left hand - though he lifts weights to 120lbs whilst supine with his remaining hand and arm)  that he solicits photographic data from other modelers of their “pride and joy” to produce his very clever prints for them - and might make some dosh from doing so.

That way he also expands both his talent and his locomotive base.

Best, Pete.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Morning from a grey Borough Market Junction.

Minor dramas in the Lurher household yesterday. The Laptop got stuck (hung) for hours for the second time in 5 days. It's only a year and a bit old. Extremely irritating to the Mrs, but fortunately for elder Lurker son who hd 3 lots of computer based homework yesterday, the old desktop decided to work. Speaking of elder Lurker son, he managed to leave his games kit on the bus home last night. the Mrs is hoping it has got handed in to lost property and that she can collect it today - otherwise its new football boots, white trainers, school rugby shirt, school PE shirt, school shorts, shin pads, gum shields, socks, bag. and deodorant! The irritating thing is he's been lax at actually bringing it home until it has started to fester; and this time he remembered....apparently he chased the bus up the hill to no avail!

We have a milkman in our street. he wakes us at about 5.15 every morning. We don't have the milk, partly because as a family we only manage about 3 pints a week at most, and partly because he was loads more expensive than the alternative - which is also delivered along with all of our other grocery.

On the photoshopping front, I like seeing the pictures too. It's probably better that they're kept separate so that they're clear what they are - as some people don't like them - but the pseudo-cuneo type are to my eye very obvious in any case. They also take skill and people like seeing them. They're probably not modelling per se, but they are connected to modelling - we should be a broad church. I did have a go at one modeller who very publically and rudely IMO had a go at Robmcg on the Wright Writes thread, trumpeting the contents of his own private e-mail along with preface of the rules he sets about his own posts ; which of course he completely ignored. he then continued to trample when Robmcg displayed hurt/irritation at being told he had no place on this forum. At the point I had to post as my thoughts were "what an a..rsehole". He's entitled to his opinion, and he is no doubt a wonderful modeller, but his apparent  contempt for a fellow human being was too much for me. Especially as at the end of the day we're all grown men playing choo-choo trains. 

By the way, I am also extremely envious of those who have great weathering and other modelling skills. I tend to the extremely hamfisted, and hence to the "trainset" end of things. I also like railway history, and current day railways. I feel I have a place on this forum, and so should anyone else. (trolls etc excepted)

So keep on showing us your weathering Baz (and also telling us about your umpiring).

Agree.  I was just listening to Somerset v Middlesex on Radio 5.  Not the same as watching but...

They're discussing-guessing the weather at the moment - bad light...so try again later.

Sunny here though rather hazy.

We got the shopping out of the way this morning - eventually. M'ns are revamping the store so extra walking back and forth to find things.

There are quite a few items that have been on our shopping list for years that have gradually disappeared off their shelves and a new lot over the summer, with another one gone this morning.  I don't know if this is permanent or just while they sort the store out.  It looks like we may be shopping elsewhere instead.  In the '80s, we had to shop at several stores to get the products we wanted. Getting too old to be bothered with that routine, again.

[Play resumed as I typed.]

I shall have to google the items to make sure they are not Manufacturer's withdrawals rather than the store's before I rant too much, though.

Oh, well.  Back to sticking grass down, now.  :yes:

Have a good day all.

Polly

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

We got the shopping out of the way this morning - eventually. M'ns are revamping the store so extra walking back and forth to find things.

I shall have to google the items to make sure they are not Manufacturer's withdrawals rather than the store's before I rant too much, though.

I do most of our shopping at the large Tesco at Pitsea as they seem to stock the widest range of produce in the area. However they have become obsessed with moving stuff around. I know what the sales psychology behind it is but it is very very irritating! I think it is some manager's revenge for having been made to study tessellations in GCSE maths. I just go to Sainsbury for a few weeks until I feel calm and ready to work out what algorithm Tesco applied to make their product re-locations. I think Aditi approves of anything that breaks my routine. I think that is why she writes cryptic shopping lists and hides them (rather like zoos hiding the animal's food).

Tony

• Like 7

Agree.  I was just listening to Somerset v Middlesex on Radio 5.  Not the same as watching but...

They're discussing-guessing the weather at the moment - bad light...so try again later.

Sunny here though rather hazy.

There are quite a few items that have been on our shopping list for years that have gradually disappeared off their shelves and a new lot over the summer, with another one gone this morning.  I don't know if this is permanent or just while they sort the store out.  It looks like we may be shopping elsewhere instead.  In the '80s, we had to shop at several stores to get the products we wanted. Getting too old to be bothered with that routine, again.

[Play resumed as I typed.]

Oh, well.  Back to sticking grass down, now.  :yes:

Have a good day all.

Polly

Though there is something beguiling about good radio commentary. I have vivid memories of getting up early to hear the commentary on the large radio in my parents' room (would it have been on longwave?) of an England test in India in the seventies, and replaying every shot as described. Including "batting" left handed when Brian Rose was batting.

that must allow it to be dated! I suspect it was the same tour where Bishen Bedi presented John Lever with a tub of vaseline....allegedly he was using it to treat one side of the ball

• Like 6

...PS My forecast say London may reach 78f today!...

Hmm, is that before or AFTER the polls close on a well publicized bun-fight (or is it scottish-shortbread fight if the vote is YES!!) ?? :O

I promise I've not been drinking - today :)

Bin day today, but NOT recycling (every other week) so I can't be Yellow carded by them again this week! :jester:

Have to say I like most every aspect of the modelling community (except the whinging and GWR :jester:  - JUST KIDDING!!) and appreciate both weathering topics and Robs images - whether/weather there are definitive places or restrictions for each is something I'm not charged with recommending or implementing so I'll just go along with what happens...

Being a returning modeller I'm amused that such a benign hobby can seemingly raise such extreme opinions in many areas that folks sound like they may come to blows - I'm glad I AM no expert, all I know is what I grew up with and that is fuzzier as I age, so I enjoy what I can get and achive even if the wheels are a scale inch too small or there aren't the correct number of rivets per acre! I think I'm better for NOT being an expert in many ways, as some of them seem to be seldom satisfied, and that's a shame. My trains make me happy - even though they ARE predominantly BR/SR :P

UD delivered our milk in one of those cute three-wheel electric charriots - I can still hear the whining up and down the street - Ohh wait, maybe that's the tinnitis!! :O

We had the same issues with third-pints at school, and tits - those were the days, and the birds used to peck at the tops all the time too.

There are a couple of local dairies here who deliver milk now (kinda the middle of dairy farm country here), but at least they have refrigerated trucks so the milk is probably fresher than at the grocery store.

9 when I got up and set the bins out, 12 now and clear breezy and expecting 23.

Look forward to seeing how many extra independant countries there are/or not later - definately will be material for bun-fights whichever way it goes I'm sure.

• Like 3

Remember going to the loo in the 'Turf' pub in Oxford years ago - the graffiti board had the following chalked on it : 'one in Kate's bush is worth two in the hand'!

Hat, coat, etc............

Jock.

That was my daughters favourite place (the PUB not the loo) when she did her international studies semester at Oxford - she still has a picture of it as her Windows wallpaper!

• Like 2

Thanks for the reminder of just how small the world can be Ian. I was on a summer school on politics at Ruskin college. I actually lived at Kingston Bagpuize on the Oxford - Swindon road for a while after leaving Cornwall in 1980 so re-visited lots of such old haunts regularly!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• RMweb Gold

A prospect to send some men into a distinct sort of reverie, I'm sure!

I was standing by a catering table today today and a lady who was struggling to fill her shopping bag asked me if I would mind holding her baps!

My alter ego. Sir Jasper Dalrymple, was swift to oblige.

Mal - how does the hospital go about changing a pacemaker battery? I assume it's a surgical procedure? I'm genuinely curious - I have this ridiculous vision in my head of a long line of outpatients standing in the corridor connected to 9v wall chargers...

Two Duracell AAAs, I think. They ask us to bring a new pack in to save the NHS some money - they prefer the ones where you press both ends to see how much charge is left. The problem is they have to take the pacemaker out reach the batteries, so instead of stitching it up they plan to put a wee plastic zip opening for the patient to do it themselves next time (power lasts for around 7 years) ;)

Either that or they replace the whole thing with a brand new pacemaker...

Mal

Well it is beautiful here, we know it end up over the pond.

Todays forecast for New York Metroplex:

Mostly Sunny, 75f. Tonight Clear 50f.

The weekend has a warming trend up to 80f then chance of T-Storms Sunday evening. Back to Sunny and 72f on Monday.

Humidity very low. Humility totally lacking.

Best, Pete.

PS My forecast say London may reach 78f today!

I have to go and look at my ancient dual-scale outside thermometer to see how much warmth or coolth that implies, Pete. When will the US catch up with the Celsius/Linnaeus scale, 270 years after its introduction?

• Like 2

I have to go and look at my ancient dual-scale outside thermometer to see how much warmth or coolth that implies, Pete. When will the US catch up with the Celsius/Linnaeus scale, 270 years after its introduction?

I know what 75f feels like, because I grew up with it. I know that 80f is getting pretty hot and 90f is hot. The comparable Celsius divisions are too big for humans.....I have no idea about the difference between 24C and 32C - the same range of temperatures that covers just 8 degrees. Celsius work best for me  in science.

Make sense, Gordon?

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Update: Elder Lurker son's games bag and kit retrieved by the Mrs from Bexleyheath bus garage loss property.

Well from your description it's unlikely anyone would want to keep them!

Did they hand them over using a pair of tongs? :jester:

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I actually lived at Kingston Bagpuize on the Oxford - Swindon road for a while 

Kind regards,

Jock.

Is that the same place as Kingstone BagPuss?.. its a  long story .....

I've already got my hat and coat.....

Baz