The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening orl, Hump day for me!  Hurrah for a 4 day week!

Busy at Trackshack today, learning stock control systems and website updatingmophone or something......beginning to get my head around it all, inbetween doing the mechanical stuff with big trains. Test run of the engineering prototype Sea Lion on an indoor line tomorrow evening, photos to follow hopefully.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Matthew will be arriving home on Sep 25th. He seems to have got a good price for his flight from Singapore to Heathrow. He has to change planes at Kuala Lumpur but it isn't a 14 hour stopover like he did on the way out and he will have been in Singapore for a few days with a friend anyway. I'll go and meet him and we can have some kind of full English breakfast at Heathrow. Well I will, he'll probably have a bucket of fruit and a croissant. We could stop on the way back and see his Gran in Enfield and have a second breakfast!

His LSE course starts a few days later but nearly everyone else on the course is flying in from some part of Asia anyway so he doesn't think he will be disadvantaged. 

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Dear ERs

I am having a bit of a moment.. bit like Coachmann..... seems photoshopped photos are far more interesting than modelling information... so should I drop the weathering thread (and, in effect leave RMWeb) or should I stay and continue to try to give some modelling input?

grumpy Baz

Hi Barry.

I guess I like photoshopped images - in their right place.  Like, Rob's for instance, or Andy Y's.

On an instructional thread such as yours I would prefer a straight photo, perhaps cropped, lightened or darkened as required to enhance the relevant detail.

A seriously photoshopped version could be added as well f you or someone else wanted to show it in the context of a layout, period, or location, etc.

Hopefully, we will appreciate the difference.

It would be a shame if you discontinued your weathering thread, it is so helpful and practical. 

best wishes

supportive Polly

• Like 2

His LSE course starts a few days later but nearly everyone else on the course is flying in from some part of Asia anyway so he doesn't think he will be disadvantaged. 

"Mick” Jagger did alright there.

Not many people know that he only became “Mick” when Andrew Loog Oldham thought it fit better than Mike Jagger......which is what everyone called him.

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Polly

I wouldn't photoshop my weathering - I get enough hassle from one or two people who no longer visit RMWeb to even contemplate it. My problem is  that it would appear that "modelling" is less preferable than looking at photoshopping.... there is a place for both but it seems that if you say that it isn't well received.

I will have a thunk about it and may add some more photos when I can fit them in around weathering/cataloguing/domestic duties...

Less grumpy Baz

Pete... no problemo   - I know you would comment if you need to - you do give constructive comment when you do...

Evening all,

Thanks for the update on shifts chaps, the only worry I have is with the clowns who arrange daughters work schedule - they have her doing a 'long day' today, followed by a course tomorrow for four hours beginning at lunch-time, followed by starting five straight nights tomorrow night! They will expect her to be 100% efficient as a nursing sister! As will her patients. I personally think that is a big ask.

Like Dave and Ian (A),old slides and videos haunt me - I've got years worth and think I'm going to have to be very selective if I'm to make any inroad into them. Then there is the question of vinyl to digital. Don't know if I'll get any time for modelling!

My grandson from the Epping branch of the Clan starts his second year at LSE this month and if year one is anything to go by, he will thoroughly enjoy it. He's managed to work his way into a 'chaperoning a fresher' role and so is rewarded with a second year in halls!

Tony, you must be proud of Matthew, considering the tiny number of 'local' students accepted each year.

Not sure about posts tomorrow as I have to fit in with hospital appointments but I'll no doubt get a look in at some point.

Hope Thursday fulfils what you wish for,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Dear ERs

I am having a bit of a moment.. bit like Coachmann..... seems photoshopped photos are far more interesting than modelling information... so should I drop the weathering thread (and, in effect leave RMWeb) or should I stay and continue to try to give some modelling input?

grumpy Baz

You heard my views, with both barrels, on Sunday Baz and I would not like to offend any more delicate ears by repeating too much of them here but if these things are to be posted they should go in their own thread and not be mixed in with real life and model review threads.  I'd far sooner look at the pictures on yours and Larry's  threads than at any single one of those heavily manipulated images which apart from anything else seem to portray every steam engine in creation as 'colliers' friends' while also sometimes including trainset signals.  Better to scroll past them and ignore them if they are in the 'wrong' places.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all…

Feeling sort of crummy after a somewhat harrowing dream, so I'll need to turn my mind to more agreeable things first. Other than that, it's set to be a sunny day, which is nice!

Have a good one…

• Like 1

Dear ERs

grumpy Baz

Mornin' Barry,

.....just because so many people chase the latest gadget/want to believe that there are alternative routes to great modelling without having to 'learn the ropes' by actually doing a considerable amount of it, over time, doesn't reduce the value of your input in any way. More important is that you focus on what you enjoy rather than trying to please a fickle public.

Dave 

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 2

Morning all.

Still dark, but not cold, may brighten later!

'Slow' day in prospect, a bit of political and some personal development if my order from Squires arrives today. Also some painting for Julie, who will be out replenisj=hing shelves in Wimbledon. The immediate future may have a bacon sandwich in it.

Good luck to all, too much going on to hold it all in my rather woolly head, but I think of you when I read the posts even if I then goldfish it.

Oh - and good luck Scotland. I think that whatever happens today you're in for some interesting times...

• RMweb Premium

To quote myself:

Feeling sort of crummy after a somewhat harrowing dream, so I'll need to turn my mind to more agreeable things first. 

…and that helped a bit: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/599/entry-14796-retro-dispolok-originally-liveried-class-1825es-64-u2-from-roco/

dsc09113ssjuj.jpg

• Like 12

"Pea soup" on the North Norfolk coast would be an understatement this morning. Eldest is just off to do his paper round and I'm tempted to tie a very long length of string to him to make sure he finds his way home. He has "Philosophy and Ethics" first thing at school today which is far from his favourite subject. "I'm sorry I'm late miss, I got lost in the fog"... I wouldn't put it past him.

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 3

A bit late to the Photoshop debate but just to add my comments which may not be to everyone's taste... personally I'm a little sick to death of photoshopped images. They seem to pop up with alarming regularity on other parts of RMWeb and they just seem to scream... "look at me - I'm so clever". As has been mentioned - the ability to actually weather something to a believable life-like state takes skill and practise and is to be admired. The ability to Photoshop an image is, I admit, not something I'd know how to do but it impresses me no more than someone bragging about getting a new high score on a computer game. I'm very much an average modeller but without experienced modellers to aspire to, I'd still be on the carpet with a train set.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Patchy fog here too!

Cup of tea and more weathering coming up. Still cogitating on what to do but many thanks for you comments and PMS.

Jock, shift patterns today are weird. Youngest Herbert is a deputy bar manager. So far this week he has worked

4pm 1am

8am to midnight

8am to midnight

He is supposed to be off today...last week his day off coincided with a course!

Stay calm....do some modelling!

Baz

Morning all

Overcast here at the moment.

Taking my mum to hospital for her pacemaker battery check at 10. Three months ago they said it had 9 months' to go so they'll probably decide to change it soon.

Now - isn't there something else I should be doing today? :)

Mal

Mal - how does the hospital go about changing a pacemaker battery? I assume it's a surgical procedure? I'm genuinely curious - I have this ridiculous vision in my head of a long line of outpatients standing in the corridor connected to 9v wall chargers...

• RMweb Gold

Morning.

Misty rather than foggy here. I can't hear any foghorns so perhaps it isn't that bad down by the river.

Barry's posts have inspired me to at least think about weathering the coal wagons I have collected. At the moment my Garratt is pulling about 40 wagons, 30 of which are pristine.

My plans to go to Shenfield on Saturday have been thwarted. I was really looking forward to seeing Sumatra Road but hopefully there will be another chance soon.

Tony

• Like 2

Misty here rather than foggy - was like that the other morning but turned into foggy up the hill to work.

More getting ready for freshers today, or helping others get ready for them. IT still giving headaches.

Must try to wake up soon.

Edited by Coombe Barton

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dull here again but there may be some hazy sunshine this morning followed by the chance of thundery downpours. There may well be thunder in the air indoors when Chris returns from work and finds I've not done what I keep promising!   :girldevil: (It involves climbing into the loft) Domani as I believe they say in Italy or even better dreckly if you're Cornish.

On to more important things......... Barry ... thanks to you a little while ago I bought some ink & weathering powders and although nowhere up to your standards I was pleased with my first attempts. I will definitely be doing some more so please keep your thread going.

I'm still laughing about Pete's vision of patients connected to wall chargers  :laugh: 

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, sorry about yesterdays rant but I have to lower my blood pressure somehow. Today is misty once more visibility down to 75 yards but I don't think it will linger long. I might do some modelling tonight and start a layout thread shock, horror!

• Like 2

I just woke up thinking of Milk Floats - and their raucous cacophony - "Lord Raleigh’s Dairies” vs “Co-Op”, I think that 3 different companies serviced our Avenue, one of whom delivered on Christmas Day....

On that note I must go back to bed.

Best, Pete.

• Like 6

If I remember correctly, Unigate used to service our little corner of South London even though the Express Dairies bottling plant was only a few miles away. Do people actually still get milk delivered to their door? A quick Google reveals that they must do and the humble milk float has gone high tech...

post-17811-0-73180100-1411024139.jpg

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 7